Fable: The Journey Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • jellyhead 9 Oct 2012 18:46:58 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fable - The Journey quick look on Giantbomb.

I'm not the target audience for this game.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• spamdangled 9 Oct 2012 18:58:14 27,417 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It was terrible at the expo. Awful lag, it got confused with different gestures, and "that" moment when Molyneux was told that, despite being designed with wheelchair users in mind, it dooesn't recognise people in wheelchairs.

Still, the OH liked it and is excited because he had dispatch confirmation from Shopto this morning. So fair play if he enjoys it.

Hmm. The CVG review seems to chime with my experience at the expo:

With a controller, this could have been the mother of all Fable games, big and beautiful and open. Without a controller, the game's afraid to let you off the track. Difficulty never comes from challenging enemy formations or new attack patterns to learn, but in struggling against the control system itself. Longevity's not from substance (new missions to do and people to meet), but through experiencing existing content (horse riding), just more slowly.
    Edited by darkmorgado at 19:08:35 09-10-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• LetsGo 11 Oct 2012 11:56:48 5,280 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there going to be an EG review? As it was at the expo, thought the EG one would be one of the first?
  • spamdangled 11 Oct 2012 12:04:39 27,417 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Been wondering that myself.

OH played it for a bit yesterday and seemed to like it. It's definitely a casual game, despite what MS are saying about it being for the Core. Hugely linear.

The bits where you look after your horse are hugely reminiscent of Kinectimals, with you "rubbing" your hands over the animal to clean it, pet it, etc. The riding bits are basically a big never-ending (and SLOW) corridor, with the occasional forking path that quickly gets back to the main track. You need to manage your speed (riding too fast over rough ground will hurt your horse), and certain experience orbs can only be picked up at certain speeds (walk, trot, gallop). Along the way there are some places where you can stop your horse in a glowing circle and a small cutscene/bit of exploration automatically triggers.

Lag and difficulty recognising gestures is still apparent, but look improved from what I experienced at the expo.

It does look gorgeous, and the Fable charm oozes through. I really don't know how well that will last throughout the entire game though. The script seems a bit hit and miss; Gabriel's dialogue in particular is awful. Thankfully there are plenty of places where other characters will say something that raise a smile or a mild laugh.

Most of the game so far was spent riding. Times off the horse are rare. I reckon an 80/20 split in favour of the carriage stuff.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• LetsGo 11 Oct 2012 12:10:56 5,280 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cool, thanks for that, was very tempted by it but the Kotaku review put me off.
  • spamdangled 11 Oct 2012 12:18:57 27,417 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    One thing that was a bit jarring for me is how desperate it seems to be to convince you that it's a "proper" Fable game. The opening hour is filled with stuff like "OH LOOK, IT'S THE SPIRE! OH, SEE THAT THERE? THAT'S BOWERSTONE! HA HA HA, I JUST MADE A CLEVER REFERENCE TO FABLE 2!"

To me, it felt as though the game isn't confident enough in its own quality and is desperate to prove its credentials by shoving the setting in your face every minute or so.

• spamdangled 11 Oct 2012 14:03:13 27,417 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Front page review is up.

6/10

• ronuds 11 Oct 2012 14:11:17 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fable is dead. :(
  • spamdangled 11 Oct 2012 14:16:19 27,417 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wouldn't go that far - this is just a side-story rather than a full-blown sequel after all. I expect Fable 4 to be a controller-led experience like the previous ones.

And hopefully a bit more complex without Peter's simplifying influence on the series.

• Whizzo 11 Oct 2012 14:17:05 43,222 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    Fable is dead. :(
    Fable 3 killed Fable.

This space left intentionally blank.

• TechnoHippy 11 Oct 2012 14:24:39 14,719 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I wouldn't go that far - this is just a side-story rather than a full-blown sequel after all. I expect Fable 4 to be a controller-led experience like the previous ones.

And hopefully a bit more complex without Peter's simplifying influence on the series.
    I suspect that's more Microsoft's influence.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• ronuds 11 Oct 2012 14:32:01 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The last 3 Fable games have reviewed poorly. Seems like it's going nowhere, tbh.

Which is unfortunate because Fable 1 and 2 are up there with my all-time faves.

I'll hope 4 is worthwhile, though (if they make one). Hope against hope.
  • spamdangled 11 Oct 2012 14:45:58 27,417 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The last 3?

Fable 3 reviewed well. Heroes was an inconsequential Arcade game born from someone at Lionhead messing about in their free time, but reviewed OK. This is a side-game that is reviewing a bit all over the place.

I wouldn't even count Heroes tbh.

• ronuds 11 Oct 2012 14:51:16 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heroes still counts toward the library!

"Poorly" may be a strong word for Fable III, but it certainly wasn't as top-notch as the first two. It's an 80 on MC, which isn't bad.

Heroes and Journey are 57, though...

Edited by ronuds at 14:51:52 11-10-2012
  • spamdangled 11 Oct 2012 14:54:37 27,417 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Journey seems to have really polarised opinion.

IMO, if you go into it expecting a traditional Fable, you'll be disappointed. If you go into it with your eyes open and aware of what it is, it's not bad. Not excellent, but not bad. And definitely NOT a "core" title.

And I quite liked Heroes, in a fun-for-five-minutes kind of way. Just a shame that I never had anyone on my friends list to play it with.

One thing that isn't mentioned in the Journey review btw - coins earned in Heroes can be redeemed in Journey for upgrade tokens.

Edited by darkmorgado at 14:55:24 11-10-2012

• evild_edd 11 Oct 2012 16:04:13 3,148 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This talk of Fable The Journey has reminded me that I really need to get round to opening my copy of Fable 3. Bought that on release, but got put off by the feedback. Didn't want it to soil my love for Fable 1 & 2 (the latter one of the games of this gen, IMHO).

Now the dust's settled I'll be interested to see what I make of F3...

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• evild_edd 11 Oct 2012 16:05:23 3,148 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    P.S. If I had a Kinect I'd certainly buy this. I don't, however, and the reviews are hardly making me want to shell out for a Kinect just for this title (plus Child Of Eden).

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Baihu1983 31 Oct 2012 19:16:41 3,529 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Slow start but fun game and a good story just shame about the lack of end game boss fight and the saw it coming a mile away ending.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next