Wii U Page 257

• Page

of 1363 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 20 Nov 2012 09:26:23 44,265 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can someone point me in the direction of an 'Upcoming WiiU release schedule' list that isn't filled with speculation?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 20 Nov 2012 09:26:47 38,262 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It should come as no surprise if 3rd party ports of 360/PS3 games aren't as good on WiiU. Regardless of how powerful it may or may not be its a new console for the devs to learn.

Plus confidence isn't high on the WiiU so expect ports to be unoptimised for the rest of the current gen. There's no point for them to spend the money at the moment.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• LeoliansBro 20 Nov 2012 09:29:00 44,265 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Plus confidence isn't high on the WiiU so expect ports to be unoptimised for the rest of the current gen. There's no point for them to spend the money at the moment.
    So the WiiU falls between two stools? It'll be the console to avoid while this gen plays out due to unoptimised multiplatform games, and then the console to avoid in the next gen because the competitors are capable of so much more?

Bit stark.

• THFourteen 20 Nov 2012 09:29:24 33,462 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    this thread is going to provide awesome lols over the next few motnhs
  • vyseofhr 20 Nov 2012 09:32:37 847 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What I want to know is where are all the reviews of games like AC3, Sonic Racing, Blops etc?

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• neilka 20 Nov 2012 09:34:10 15,958 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    this thread is going to provide awesome lols over the next few motnhs
    Looking forward to the Digital Foundry faceoffs

/builds deckchair concession

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• JinTypeNoir 20 Nov 2012 09:57:46 4,386 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    The strongest hardware doesn't always sell the most? Does that somehow mean that the Wii's software catalogue is better than the 360s?
    I like you state as if it were a fact and not something that is pretty much just reliant on a matter of taste. Yes, it is almost gospel among a certain set of gamers the Wii is viewed as a ghost town to the PS360's wild west, but that this prevalent view is so dominant on the likes of message boards like this doesn't make it any more true.

But as shown by the Wii itself, being comparatively under specced certainly didn't help in terms of providing an amazing breadth of software.
    Yes, it did. There were tons of games that only appeared on the Wii precisely because it was easier to develop for. You think Kororinpa or Sin & Punishment 2 or Fragile would appear on the PS360? Those development teams did not and probably still don't have the resources to be able to do that.

Games like Kororinpa were relegated to a download ghetto by Microsoft and Sony, the idea that you could devote some serious resources to a package title like that and expect the same amount of compensation because the resulting product wasn't of any less quality in design than than a production that ran tens of millions of dollars may have died with the Wii.

Sin & Punishment 2 is only allowed because the last-gen graphics allowed for some measure of return on Nintendo's investment in picking Treasure's niche gems. The only way that would make it to market on PS360 would be if it were multiplayer heavy or of the artistic wankery.

Then you have Fragile, which is by a huge publisher, but a small game with less availability of the company's resources. Namco would never be crazy tp give a game like that enough of the development time it needed with a full team working on HD assets. Not in a million years.

And the Wii had gobs of this stuff, of course not all of it good, and of course more than a few titles of debatable quality. I know it gets overlooked because "LOL Wii," but that doesn't change the reality of the situation -- it just points to the tunnel vision of confirmation bias these people enjoy basking in.

Being the same level of power and fostering the same development path as the PS360 would have killed the Opoonas and Zack & Wikis and Hospitals and Tatsunoko vs. Capcoms dead before they even came to market. The gap between between downloadable titles and the major HD releases into a middle road of ambition that has been sustainable up to this point was entirely due to the Wii's hardware weakness giving it that advantage.

In fact the matter was so serious that out of the three major territories, one completely abandoned consoles as the main market and went to handhelds precisely because they offered less power and a richer development environment because of that.

Whether this generation bucks the not-so-weird-when-you-think-about-it remains to be seen, but quite apart from where the games I want to play appear, my heart will support the console maker whose platform gives the widest variety of developers the opportunity to shine, for whatever reason.
  • nickthegun 20 Nov 2012 10:02:21 59,968 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    So the WiiU falls between two stools?
    Yeah and ones got sweetcorn in it.

SWISH!

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• RyanDS 20 Nov 2012 10:04:15 9,386 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:

Whether this generation bucks the not-so-weird-when-you-think-about-it remains to be seen, but quite apart from where the games I want to play appear, my heart will support the console maker whose platform gives the widest variety of developers the opportunity to shine, for whatever reason.
    Sony and MS with the thriving PSN and indie stores?
  • Gambit1977 20 Nov 2012 10:05:10 9,709 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

SWISH!
    That's more than the Wii U has in it!
  • Moot_Point 20 Nov 2012 10:06:15 4,109 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

SWISH!
    And the other has peanuts in?

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Gambit1977 20 Nov 2012 10:09:33 9,709 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

SWISH!
    If you're talking about the 360 I think you spelled Penis wrong!
  • Deleted user 20 November 2012 10:10:36
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Some guy playing around in the Wara Wara Plaza. This is what I like most about Nintendo's attempt at an online community. I really hope the 3DS gets something similar too, in the future.
    that is awesome. Thanks for the link. Anyone saying that the wii u online is under par needs a look at that. Sure a couple of things need sorting out, but so does every think.
  • JinTypeNoir 20 Nov 2012 10:11:12 4,386 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Some guy playing around in the Wara Wara Plaza. This is what I like most about Nintendo's attempt at an online community. I really hope the 3DS gets something similar too, in the future.
    That looks pretty cool. I'm always going around on the 'net checking out people's opinions, but a problem with the net is that it breeds its own culture and its hard to find relatively normal people opinions on niche games, so if this helps with that, that's great. I'm always weary of these types of features that replicate social aspects of phones or computers though; I always feels like my cell phone can do so much better, why bother?

If and when I get a Wii U, I'll have to check this out and see if its worth digging into or if its appeal dies as the novelty wears off. The 3DS chat feature and messaging system hasn't yet, surprisingly. (I also wonder if there are some annoyances that crop up when you use it more too...)
  • ResidentKnievel 20 Nov 2012 10:11:34 6,201 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Can someone point me in the direction of an 'Upcoming WiiU release schedule' list that isn't filled with speculation?
    Pikmin 3
    Wonderful 101
    errr...

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• JinTypeNoir 20 Nov 2012 10:12:08 4,386 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    JinTypeNoir wrote:

Wow. It looks like the rumors about you were true.
  • Baleoce 20 Nov 2012 10:12:27 1,185 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I hope it embraces its own direction.

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• Fake_Blood 20 Nov 2012 10:12:35 4,215 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well cancelled my pre-order, was interested in nsmb2 and zombieU, the rest I can get on my other consoles/pc. Will probably get one eventually but right now? Meh.
  • THFourteen 20 Nov 2012 10:14:09 33,462 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote: You think Kororinpa or Sin & Punishment 2 or Fragile would appear on the PS360?
    Did you just make those games up?
  • LeoliansBro 20 Nov 2012 10:17:05 44,265 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JTN talking about games being developed for the Wii because it offered better 'compensation'. Just think about that for a second, and then explain to me how it is an argument in favour of the Wii.

• Deleted user 20 November 2012 10:19:37
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Pikmin 3
    Wonderful 101
    errr...
    Monster hunter
    lego city undecover
    Rayman legends
    Aliens CM
    Injustice gods amongst men
    Game and Wario

have all been announced as well with dates in mind (launch)

Dragon quest x, bayonetta, project cars, NFS MW, ghost recon, spiderman, sniper ghost warrior, have been announced without dates.

Edited by joelstinton at 10:20:56 20-11-2012
  • Gambit1977 20 Nov 2012 10:20:50 9,709 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Will there ever be a Nintendo thread that isn't full of fanboys?
  • LeoliansBro 20 Nov 2012 10:22:13 44,265 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks. Not a thing on that list that interests me.

• Deleted user 20 November 2012 10:23:51
    brilliant.
  • RyanDS 20 Nov 2012 10:24:44 9,386 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    JinTypeNoir wrote:

Wow. It looks like the rumors about you were true.
    The rumours that I am incredibly handsome and brilliant? seriously though psn and live have been fantastic for small devs and I really don't see nintendo offering anything up to that level.
  • JinTypeNoir 20 Nov 2012 10:26:46 4,386 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Eh. It'll be at least a year before we can judge whether the 3rd party situation will change or not for the WiiU. Before that, between the launch and 1st year deficit of software that all new platforms experience and the stigma of the Wii handicapping 3rd party expectations from the getgo, and just waiting to see how the sales environment shakes up, even if a miracle happens and somehow the WiiU ends up a software juggernaut for every type of game imaginable, it probably won't be in 2013 that it happens anyway.
  • Moot_Point 20 Nov 2012 10:27:04 4,109 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

SWISH!
    Hey! It was a genuine question.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• LeoliansBro 20 Nov 2012 10:27:07 44,265 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    'Download ghetto' may be the most embarrassing phrase JTN's ever come up with on here, and it's up against some pretty fucking stiff competition (reams of it).

Edited by LeoliansBro at 10:30:12 20-11-2012

• Deleted user 20 November 2012 10:28:25
    psn and live embrace of the indie games have been probably the best thing of this gen for me. Really looking forward to seeing what they have up there sleeves. Signs - ninty allowing them to set own price points, having no limit on size is a good sign. A pullbox for the wii u please :)
  • Gambit1977 20 Nov 2012 10:29:52 9,709 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

SWISH!
    Hey! It was a genuine question.
    So was mine :lol:
  • Page

of 1363 First / Last