of 1354 First / Last

• roz123 14 Nov 2012 11:50:00 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/nintendodirectch
    A bloke on neogaf made a basic summary of what the video shows

Parental Controls

- Nintendo realizes that some parents may fear that their children may use the Wii U's internet functionality without permission. Wii U has Parental Controls.
    - Can restrict content based on user age, CERO (Japan ESRB) rating, internet functionality, internet browser, e-Shop spending, Miiverse functionality, friend registrations, videos, data management, internet settings
    - Wii U keyboard input can save user input habits and predictive input in a specific database that depends on the game and user. Wii U does not save input data that you don't want other users to know into the database.
    - Miiverse settings can be turned on/off depending on the save profiles per game.

USB Data Storage

- 8GB = 7.2GB, 32GB = 29GB in terms of actual save data. Wii U uses around 4.2GB when using the system for the first time.
    - NSMBU is ~2GB, Nintendo Land is ~3.2GB. So, both won't fit into the Basic set at the same time.
    - Wii U lets you put data onto a connected USB media drive.
    - One USB drive at a time only.
    - Cannot disconnect the external drive while plugged into the Wii U and receiving power.
    - You can use general drives.
    - In terms of powering the HDD while connecting to the Wii U, if you do not use a Y Cable Type drive (2 USB cables), then Nintendo cannot guarantee it will work properly.
    - Nintendo can guarantee functionality if the HDD plugs into a power outlet.
    - No games on USB Flash Memory due to games not running properly all the time (whatever this means...)
    - Wii U will read up to 2TB only for external hard drives
    - In Data Management, you must format the connected media drive. Note that this means you cannot use the drive with a PC.
    - You can move data from internal Wii U storage to external USB media in Data Management and vice versa. Data on both internal and external media will appear in the menu.
    - At launch, only 1 USB hard drive can be connected, but through a future update, more than 1 will be possible and you will be able to move data between them freely.
    - SD Cards can hold PC data, Wii Virtual Console, Wii Ware, and Wii save data, but cannot be used to save Wii U game save data.

Backwards Compatibility

- Wii games, Virtual Console, Wii Ware stuff cannot be played using the GamePad screen, but only on the TV in Wii Mode
    - Iwata: "We understand that there are people who were looking forward to playing Wii games, Virtual Console games, and so forth on the GamePad, but unfortunately we cannot accommodate those users' expectations."
    - There are plans for a Wii U Virtual Console that WILL be compatible with the Wii U GamePad. Please look forward to it in the future.

Nintendo Network Premium

- For Premium Set buyers only
    - Point service
    - Make Nintendo Network ID, then login to find and user the service
    - After logging in, you can see the points you have earned
    - Buy with download card or download number
    - Earn 10% back on purchases
    - Earn back purchase points in 500 increments
    - Points earned can be used with Wii U/3DS e-Shop, Wii Shopping Channel, DSi Shop
    Edited by roz123 at 11:50:30 14-11-2012
  • Luckyjim 14 Nov 2012 11:53:42 2,873 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    higgins78 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its certainly the worst launch lineup I can remember.

They are funny, though. The games dried up on the wii as they prepared for the launch of the 3ds. The 3DS games dried up because they were preparing for the launch of the wii u.

The Wii U games will dry up because they are preparing for the launch of the Wii U XL with a tablet controller the size of a Beano Annual.
    "Wii U XL"? You mean like ALL the variations of PS3 and 360 we have had to comprehend with over the last few years, so much to the point it has become silly/confusing.
    I thought nickthegun was being facetious, satirical even. Given Nintendo's history of redesigns there is some room for mocking.

In fairness to MS and Sony, their redesigns don't usually offer any functional extras that might mitigate repurchase; they're pretty much minor aesthetic changes or spurred on by improved manufacturing processes that allow them to sell their product cheaper. If anything, particularly with the PS3, you'd be silly to buy a newer version as they keep removing features.
  • ResidentKnievel 14 Nov 2012 11:57:25 6,172 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Its a bit unfair to totally disregard the third party titles at launch. I think it must be the first console to have that many good third party titles at launch. Ass creed 3 is only a couple weeks old, blops will be a week old. A lot of people won;t have played them ( i havn't played ass creed 3 or mass effect 3 yet). Having that range of titles alongside the others is good for a lot of people.
    Or you could just get them on the 360 and PS3, it's not as if the Wii U multi-platform titles are the definitive version. Why spend 300 on a console offering very little over far cheaper ones with far larger libraries?

Nintendo really need to start showing substantial software off soon, yes it's great that 3rd parties are supporting the console, but they're supporting it with games that can be found elsewhere for cheaper, rather than games that really show off the unique aspects of the console (whether that be its controller, its social aspects or its supposed superior power).

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• disusedgenius 14 Nov 2012 11:59:35 5,271 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    Or you could just get them on the 360 and PS3, it's not as if the Wii U multi-platform titles are the definitive version. Why spend 300 on a console offering very little over far cheaper ones with far larger libraries?
    Same reason anyone would buy any launch console, no?
  • RobTheBuilder 14 Nov 2012 12:04:31 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Luckyjim The Gamecube was more powerful than PS2, but publishers farmed the ports out to cheap devs and they ended up being worse. Same issue, just down to time rather than lack of effort.
  • nickthegun 14 Nov 2012 12:08:32 59,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Luckyjim wrote:
    I thought nickthegun was being facetious, satirical even. Given Nintendo's history of redesigns there is some room for mocking.
    I wasnt actually referring to their penchant for redesigning their devices at all, to be honest.

More that it would be nice if they stopped releasing consoles for five minutes and started making games again.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Sid-Nice 14 Nov 2012 12:08:59 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Luckyjim wrote:
    @Higgins

I wouldn't give any credence to an IGN metric. It's pretty much a joke of a site; a refuge for shoddy game journalism, backhanders and lunatic neck-beards. It's only saving grace is the Eurogamer alumni Keza MacDonald.

With that in mind, what are you trying to prove with your NG3 point? That a port of a poor late-in-the-cycle PS3/360 game is slightly less poor on the WiiU? True, if this is your point, but nothing further can be read from this in terms of the WiiU's current/future potential.

I fully anticipate the WiiU versions of ME3, AC3 and Arkham City being worse that the PS3/360 versions. Not because the WiiU's incapable of handling such games, but because of the specific conditions in which they were developed i.e. brand new hardware with seemingly short dev time.
    Eloquently put, but will the recipient fully comprehend?

NNID Sid-Nice

• Luckyjim 14 Nov 2012 12:10:49 2,873 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @nickthegun You certainly have a point there. It seems Nintendo can't do two things at once. When they're designing and releasing new hardware their software seems to dry up. More understandable with the Wii but their 3DS output this year's been terrible.
  • RobTheBuilder 14 Nov 2012 12:12:19 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ResidentKnievel

1 - it means there is more incentive to trade in a 360 or PS3 towards the WiiU

2 - It means you aren't just restricted to Nintendo games, which is what all the anti-Nintendo arguments tend to go on and on (and on and on) about

3 - Give them some time, jeez. Solid ports of multiplatform games are an alright start alongside a couple of original titles and a couple of Nintendo first party efforts.

I hope you are aware of the hypocritical argument here:

Last ten years: "Nintendo are shit because they never have third party games, all you get is Mario 27."

Now: "Why would you buy third party games on WiiU when you can get them on 360/PS3?"
  • RobTheBuilder 14 Nov 2012 12:14:29 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Luckyjim Given they have usually been more profitable per employee than google, I would hope they might bring some more staff in...

If only Nintendo planned better to avoid the drought that all their consoles get, we'd all be a lot happier.
  • Gambit1977 14 Nov 2012 12:15:51 9,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nintendo really need to see that if they are going to insist on, what, 3 or 4 games a year that aren't mario, they really really need to up the third party support and make it viable. Not just ports. Push them to make it lead dev console (for now). They've started well giving this free engine out, but they need more. And some new IPs

It hit me when I went into nintendoworld in NYC. They didn't even have any Metroid stuff :( (and yes, that is first party but they do neglect it).
  • disusedgenius 14 Nov 2012 12:21:19 5,271 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nintendo really need to see that if they are going to insist on, what, 3 or 4 games a year that aren't mario, they really really need to up the third party support and make it viable.
    If this Unity thing works out, that's a pretty massive deal, tbh.
  • Gambit1977 14 Nov 2012 12:28:51 9,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Nintendo really need to see that if they are going to insist on, what, 3 or 4 games a year that aren't mario, they really really need to up the third party support and make it viable.
    If this Unity thing works out, that's a pretty massive deal, tbh.
    It's certainly a step in the right direction.

Now where's the reviews dammit?! I need to see zombi u scores!
  • Luckyjim 14 Nov 2012 12:29:23 2,873 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As usual I'll probably give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt. I'll buy the WiiU and equally enjoy and moan about it on gaming forums.

At best, Nintendo is a pleasant antidote to less appealing gaming trends; at worst, it's like someone kicking you in the nuts and then charging you for the privilege, then releasing a new and improved nut-kicking technology six-months down the line.
  • Khanivor 14 Nov 2012 12:31:14 40,496 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nintendo have plenty of time to come out with software. It's not like there's anything new on the horizon coming as far as hardware competition is concerned.
  • nickthegun 14 Nov 2012 12:34:10 59,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The problem is they release games so infrequently, its impossible to justify spunking that much money on something im barely going to play half a dozen games on, especially since the last two major Mario kart games have been shit.

He totally called it

• disusedgenius 14 Nov 2012 12:36:28 5,271 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can't imagine it'll stay at 300 for that long.

Ah it's Nintendo, so maybe...
  • mal 14 Nov 2012 12:44:13 22,418 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    - 8GB = 7.2GB, 32GB = 29GB in terms of actual save data. Wii U uses around 4.2GB when using the system for the first time.
    - NSMBU is ~2GB, Nintendo Land is ~3.2GB. So, both won't fit into the Basic set at the same time.
    - Wii U lets you put data onto a connected USB media drive.
    - One USB drive at a time only.
    - Cannot disconnect the external drive while plugged into the Wii U and receiving power.
    - You can use general drives.
    - No games on USB Flash Memory due to games not running properly all the time (whatever this means...)
    - Wii U will read up to 2TB only for external hard drives
    - In Data Management, you must format the connected media drive. Note that this means you cannot use the drive with a PC.
    - You can move data from internal Wii U storage to external USB media in Data Management and vice versa. Data on both internal and external media will appear in the menu.
    - SD Cards can hold PC data, Wii Virtual Console, Wii Ware, and Wii save data, but cannot be used to save Wii U game save data.
    They give with one hand but take away with the other. So you can expand the memory with cheap USB HDDs, but you can't use even cheaper USB flash memory, and it has to be formatted as a dedicated WiiU drive.

When it says Wii U game save data, I wonder if that means downloaded games, or player saves (in which case, WTF?)

Nintendo Network Premium

- Make Nintendo Network ID, then login to find and user the service
    The way that's laid out makes it sound like you only get a network ID if you buy a premium unit, and without an account, all your downloads will be tied to the console only. I hope that's not the case.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Baleoce 14 Nov 2012 13:04:48 1,185 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well one bonus I can possibly foresee in the future is that the premium users might get some kind of ambassador scheme akin to the 3DS after the inevitable price drop? There's a lot of assumptions there, but it's something to consider.

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• Luckyjim 14 Nov 2012 13:09:11 2,873 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ambassador scheme only came about because Nintendo royally misjudged the launch price. I can't see Nintendo ever voluntarily giving anything back to the consumer. In the main, I think they view us with open contempt
  • Fake_Blood 14 Nov 2012 13:10:11 4,154 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I still don't get it, can you play games from an external hdd?
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Nov 2012 13:15:23 10,510 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    I still don't get it, can you play games from an external hdd?
    Yes, just not from an SD Card.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Kay 14 Nov 2012 13:15:44 17,798 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    especially since the last two major Mario kart games have been shit.
    I respectfully disagree.
  • Baleoce 14 Nov 2012 13:16:26 1,185 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Luckyjim wrote:
    Ambassador scheme only came about because Nintendo royally misjudged the launch price. I can't see Nintendo ever voluntarily giving anything back to the consumer. In the main, I think they view us with open contempt
    Well it's the highest priced Nintendo console yet, especially when you factor in all the necessary peripherals/storage to take advantage of every feature the system has. I can see there being some drop in price on the base unit itself for sure.

Meanwhile they will still make a truckload from the repackaged wiimotes/nunchucks/Pro controllers/classic pad/gamepad extentions etc.

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• nickthegun 14 Nov 2012 13:37:25 59,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I respectfully disagree.
    And I respect your disagreement. Double dash was, to be fair, OK that is indeed a bit harsh, but MKWii was rrrrrrrubbish.

He totally called it

• Raiko101 14 Nov 2012 13:38:00 6,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I respectfully disagree.
    And I respect your disagreement. Double dash was, to be fair, OK that is indeed a bit harsh, but MKWii was rrrrrrrubbish.
    I much prefer the Wii version to Double Dash. The tracks aren't any better, but the control makes it more fun to play.

Edited by Raiko101 at 13:41:20 14-11-2012

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• LeoliansBro 14 Nov 2012 13:38:32 43,671 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Double Dash was great, by far and away the MK game I've put the most time into. Never recaptured that with MKWii.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Armoured_Bear 14 Nov 2012 13:40:23 10,510 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Baleoce wrote:
    Luckyjim wrote:
    Well it's the highest priced Nintendo console yet, especially when you factor in all the necessary peripherals/storage to take advantage of every feature the system has. I can see there being some drop in price on the base unit itself for sure.

Meanwhile they will still make a truckload from the repackaged wiimotes/nunchucks/Pro controllers/classic pad/gamepad extentions etc.

No it isn't

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Kay 14 Nov 2012 13:41:39 17,798 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I respectfully disagree.
    Ah, I thought you were including MK7 (which is excellent).

I also had a lot of fun with MK Wii, mainly because of the motorbikes and the online, even though the track design wasn't the best. Funnily enough, I never got on with DD and barely played it - sold it about a month after getting it. And I only really got it because of that Zelda offer they had at the time.
  • Kay 14 Nov 2012 13:42:48 17,798 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Funny how opinions vary with the MK games. Critically DD was panned a little bit, yet many people seem to prefer it.

Edited by Kay at 13:43:35 14-11-2012
  • Page

of 1354 First / Last