Wii U Page 191

• Page

of 1363 First / Last

• Deleted user 15 October 2012 23:02:12

• Jabjabs 16 Oct 2012 09:04:52 14 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    On a different matter though, the gamepad latency is 1/60 of a second.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/15/wii-u-gamepad-latency-is-160-of-a-second-statesrayman-creator/

quite impressive.
    I still don't understand why people just dismiss the Game pad as just a tablet with buttons and nothing more. The technology to power that thing is absolutely amazing!

It is 1/60th of a second and trust me most TV's don't have that kind of latency when it comes to games.
  • andijames 16 Oct 2012 09:24:26 2,731 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think that's why the latency is so good to be fair. I presume the signal is sent simultaneously to the TV and to the Game pad and whereas the TV has to process the signal more thoroughly (what is the latency now on a LED out of interest?) the gamepad has less to do and can just simply display the image.

Either way though it's seriously impressive stuff.

vivir el momento

• jimnastics 16 Oct 2012 11:01:28 279 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Seriously starting to want a Wii U, which is not good news for my wallet.
  • GeezaTap 16 Oct 2012 11:06:52 289 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:

Maxwell: Hey Link, why on Earth would you ask for a Quarter Heart Piece?

Never played Scribblenauts, WII U seems like the perfect fit for it though so looking forward to trying it.
  • RyanDS 16 Oct 2012 11:07:17 9,360 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jimnastics wrote:
    So am I. Which is annoying as the Wii was fun for a week before it gathered dust, and the 3DS I rate as the worst waste of money I have ever spent.

Trying to prevent myself wanting the shiny and force myself to remember that unlike Sony and MS I lose all my Nintendo games if i sell the console and can't replay them if I buy a new one.
  • GeezaTap 16 Oct 2012 11:10:18 289 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wouldn't bother getting this then Ryan.

I'll be honest - I got my 3DS with my phone contract and after the new shinyness wore off I was meh to it. Lately though with Mario Kart, Rayman Origins and NSMB2 I've been loving the wee thing.

If you're not feeling Ninty of late I would give this a body swerve.
  • chrisno21 16 Oct 2012 11:34:38 1,509 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    jimnastics wrote:
    So am I. Which is annoying as the Wii was fun for a week before it gathered dust, and the 3DS I rate as the worst waste of money I have ever spent.

Trying to prevent myself wanting the shiny and force myself to remember that unlike Sony and MS I lose all my Nintendo games if i sell the console and can't replay them if I buy a new one.
    I'm the same, but caved - new shiny and new way to play looks like fun. Probably going to pick up Mario with the Zombie bundle I have on pre-order. If I don't like it then I'll sell it on around Christmas - for a hopefully non-too-big loss.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• MatMan562 16 Oct 2012 13:22:36 2,460 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    jimnastics wrote:

That last point should no longer be a problem soon with proper accounts comnig to Wii U and 3DS but it does sound like your not a Nintendo fan so I doubt the Wii U will offer you much of interest, other than the odd exclusive 3rd party game.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• RobAnybody 17 Oct 2012 16:16:16 894 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The latest Iwata Asks:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/gamepad/0/0
  • AcidSnake 17 Oct 2012 16:24:58 7,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    At least we've ruled out line-of-sight infrared nonsense...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Deleted user 17 October 2012 16:44:34
    What sort of twat thought it would be that?
  • AcidSnake 17 Oct 2012 16:53:32 7,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    vizzini did...

I know, hardly a surprise...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Sid-Nice 17 Oct 2012 23:15:09 15,852 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    @greenthumb

So why is a sensor bar bundled in the American and Japanese "basic pack" equivalents?

And your response "I would say that..." and Joel's response "I think that..." proves my point that with less than a month until release nobody actually knows...and we're 'core' gamers.
    I think Nintendo want to exploit Europe by introducing this, also take note of the Product Description "Compatible with Wii and Wii U. Sensor Bar required for Wii U use."

NNID Sid-Nice

• smallheavy 17 Oct 2012 23:22:37 3 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I heard that Nintendo is going to start setting up demo kiosks in stores this week. Hopefully an opportunity to try it out soon!
  • Deleted user 18 October 2012 00:12:56
    AcidSnake: At least we've ruled out line-of-sight infrared nonsense...

@AcidSnake

Line-of-sight not really, the original infrared post E3 2011 details, yes are now confirmed as radio wave.

But I fail to see what you are complaining about what I said. Very early in the thread I said they weren't being honest and needed to do technical details on the hardware, and then they did a thorough tear down of the GPU/CPU/ 30MB Edram (I also mentioned in a df thread). Then around page 186 in this thread, so Raiko101 confirmed an official advert with toilet use and my next two comments said the follow

If it uses radio wave, it will depend on the baseband wavelength choosen(carrier wave), the error resilience of the modulation technique for encoding/decoding the (high frequency) data onto the carrier wave.

Carrier waves typically go through walls easily, but encoded signal on the wave will get randomly distorted by physical materials in the wall, thereby needing forward error correction and (ultra fast) methods for graceful degradation to handle missing data packets. The lower the encoded data rate, usually means better resilence, so it will depend on just how much data gets shipped to the controller in 3D games. I imagine something like 2D Mario will work ok, if it is at all possible.

And

@Raiko101

The toilet probably was in the lounge and the door made of pine. As pine doors are much less dense material than a party wall's plaster or supporting wall's brick, as they are two thin sheets of light, low density wood held apart by small amounts of cardboard and mostly hollow space, making them better for short range high data-rate radio like bluetooth to pass through.

It all sound quite familiar to iwata asks, almost as if they are reading the thread. ;)
  • neilka 18 Oct 2012 00:45:19 15,938 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think everyone should start posting the distances between their televisions and their toilets, accompanied by diagrams if possible, so that we're ready for the big day.

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Bremenacht 18 Oct 2012 01:43:56 18,246 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    AcidSnake: At least we've ruled out line-of-sight infrared nonsense...

@AcidSnake

Line-of-sight not really, the original infrared post E3 2011 details, yes are now confirmed as radio wave. And I was completely wrong. I apologise for my extremely long-winded and mis-informed conjecture.
    Quite right.
  • Deleted user 18 October 2012 10:44:02
    @Bremenacht

You are making out like I pulled it out of the air, and Nintendo's hardware design department didn't initially try infra-red for the console. I can assure you they did, just like they reiterate exactly what I said about the issues with radio wave.

Had the data rate proved fast enough using IR for their gaming needs, then there were financial and resilience reasons for them using it in preference to radio wave. You can always fix light wave issues in your house to provide ideal conditions, you can't necessarily control the radio wave interference, and in some very small minority of houses around the world WiiU pad streaming of complex 3D games will not work reliably even sat on the sofa.

Trying to dumb down conversations is maybe something you should apologize for.
  • AcidSnake 18 Oct 2012 10:51:53 7,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @vizzini:
    I wasn't complaining about what you'd said...Just happy no line-of-sight is needed...
    Which I doubted the moment you said it (as my comments can attest) and you still haven't given a source for...Though TBF I never asked for sources and it doesn't really bother me anyway...

• javvyman 18 Oct 2012 11:04:50 709 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vizzini's kinda like the Wii U GPU CPU combination really... All flair, not enough processing power.

I don't really grasp the differences betweek IR and radio wave techniques, but even I can see Vizzini is talking out his arse and taking credit for vaguely going through every possible technological scenario or application that the Wii U could use. Oh and if you're going to correct peoples grammer, maybe look at your own first.

Edited by javvyman at 11:08:23 18-10-2012
  • javvyman 18 Oct 2012 11:07:20 709 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • AcidSnake 18 Oct 2012 11:16:05 7,268 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    forum bug fix

• roz123 18 Oct 2012 11:40:57 7,113 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The gamepad has infra red so you can use it as a TV remote, everyone found this out very early on and no one thought infra red was being used to stream the images except Vizzini. Anyone who has used infra red to transfer a file would tell you that its extremely slow and the idea that it can be used to stream data across a room instantly is completely fucking retarded.
    Luckily no one told him about the near field communication otherwise he would probably assume you have to constantly rub the pad up against the console to get it to work.
  • mal 18 Oct 2012 11:57:48 22,536 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If Nintendo Europe insist on not supplying a sensor bar I think I might make my own. All you need is a USB cable, USB socket, a couple of IR LEDs with built-in resistors, a bit of wood and some blue tack.

On the other hand, if those John Lewis prices are standard, it seems you get a sensor bar for free when you buy a wiimote and nunchuck together anyway.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• mikew1985 18 Oct 2012 12:14:55 12,739 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @anyone considering replying to vizzini's nonsense:

Don't bother.
  • Deleted user 18 October 2012 12:24:58
    mal wrote:
    If Nintendo Europe insist on not supplying a sensor bar I think I might make my own. All you need is a USB cable, USB socket, a couple of IR LEDs with built-in resistors, a bit of wood and some blue tack.

On the other hand, if those John Lewis prices are standard, it seems you get a sensor bar for free when you buy a wiimote and nunchuck together anyway.
    Today on blue peter, we show you a cost effective way...

i realised that i only have one wii mote plus controller.. which is at my parents house. Not looking forward to shelling out for a couple of wii motes.
  • Blaketown 18 Oct 2012 12:27:23 4,650 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mal wrote:
    You just need to light 2 candles.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• beastmaster 18 Oct 2012 12:33:56 11,416 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wonder if ShopTo will deliver the day before?

Would like to see a Bayonetta 2 trailer before UK launch.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 18 October 2012 13:01:40
    @javvyman

I wasn't correcting anyone's internet grammar in my last comment. However, in one sentence you admit your aren't educated about radio wave or IR to understand, then write a disparaging comment about someone else who pretty much wrote Nintendo's sound bite about WiiU pad range verbatim. What Nintendo hardware, would you be in your analogy?

@roz123

If you are comparing short range mobile phone IR file transfer to IR Local Area Networking technology, then you are just exposing your own ignorance of the subject matter.

@Mikew1985
    I don't understand your reason for non-technical heckling, have you advanced any discussion in comments or the forum, I can read?
  • Page

of 1363 First / Last