Wii U Page 189

• Page

of 1346 First / Last

• mal 12 Oct 2012 02:28:32 22,334 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Must have a bloody big phone. That's the CPU sans cover, you don't see that often.

Here's an i5 with no cover https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&tbo=d&biw=320&bih=504&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=i5+cpu+no+cover&oq=i5+cpu+no+cover&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3...4838.8712.0.8929.16.16.0.0.0.0.163.1763.3j13.16.0...0.0...1ac.1.DQL36Z3cY8g#i=17
    I dunno about the latest quad core parts, but the ARM chips used in most phones don't need a heatsink unless you overclock them excessively. Good job too I guess, as good luck trying to find a heatsink short enough to fit in a ~10mm thin case. ARM chip power consumption is generally measured in hundreds of milliwats, whereas those newer Intel desktop chips generally chomp through tens of watts.

It's also worth mentioning that while we're talking about chip die size, the only reason the PC CPU you buy is as big as it is is to fit all the pins on the bottom. The actual CPU die on there is quite a lot smaller.

The Wii U, of course, uses an IBM POWER chip along the lines of what's in most modern consoles, and that does normally need some sort of cooling solution like the fairly chunky heatsink covering the CPU and GPU in the Wii U.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• roz123 12 Oct 2012 09:31:48 7,112 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    New Zombie U trailer
    http://www.gamespot.com/zombiu/videos/zombiu-exclusive-walkthrough-trailer-6398036/?tag=Topslot;ZombiuEvacuationGameplayTrailer;ZombiuEvacuationGamepla

There are some new things shown like an Aliens style motion detector on the gamepad. Looks good
  • chrisno21 12 Oct 2012 10:02:50 1,463 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looks interesting, and pretty creepy.

Condemned is still one of my favourite 360 games having played it at launch. Can't help but hope this is similar in terms of atmosphere (that Condemned 2 failed to do).

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• Raiko101 12 Oct 2012 10:50:28 6,061 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That is the best trailer by far. Looking pretty darned good. Hope it's as fun as it looks.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• chrisno21 12 Oct 2012 10:56:37 1,463 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ofcourse didn't red steel also look good in the preview videos. Ubi aren't too bad these days though (again).

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• quadfather 12 Oct 2012 11:17:53 11,825 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's looking really good. Gah, I've had to cancel my pre-order for now - fund issues :(

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Deleted user 12 October 2012 15:21:52
    chrisno21 wrote:
    Is there a site or a rundown of features out there that points out what WiiU does and what we can expect. Even launch titles are still a bit of a mystery to me, what are they and why does the gamepad make them different. Like AC3 - does it have any U specific features or should I just get the PS3 version cheaper and earlier (to sync up with my vita version too)?
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/10/12/a-guide-to-wii-us-ports
  • Deleted user 12 October 2012 15:44:25
    mal wrote:
    It's also worth mentioning that while we're talking about chip die size, the only reason the PC CPU you buy is as big as it is is to fit all the pins on the bottom. The actual CPU die on there is quite a lot smaller.
    Yup, surprised there's no mention of this in the DF article, hey ho.
  • Deleted user 12 October 2012 15:45:03
    Uk Box contents.

• Raiko101 12 Oct 2012 19:07:07 6,061 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I assumed the Pad would plug into the console to recharge, rather than having it's own plug. :/

• CharlieStCloud 12 Oct 2012 19:22:02 5,054 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I must say, Nintendo deserves a pat on the back for including a HDMI cable in every box, something that can't be said for the other two (please correct me if I am wrong though!) ... however, choosing not to include a sensor bar in the basic pack is just *face palm*

I may well be slightly temped if I see the basic pack go for £179 - make it happen someone!
  • Sid-Nice 13 Oct 2012 00:18:28 15,852 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There is yet no confirmation whether the Gamepad can be charged via a USB cable; also I donít see a charging cable for the Pro Controller. Iíd have preferred the Gamepad AC Adapter and the Wii U AC Adapter to be black.

NNID Sid-Nice

• NotSoSlim 13 Oct 2012 13:23:34 3,116 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    50% extra on console trade ins when towards Wii U at Game

Think i may go that route tbh and get shot of 360 ot Vita
  • CharlieStCloud 13 Oct 2012 13:30:00 5,054 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    NotSoSlim wrote:
    50% extra on console trade ins towards (pre-ordering) the Wii U at GAME.

I think I may go down that route to be honest and get shot of my Xbox 360 or PS Vita.
    Is there anything to be seen about this deal online...?
  • RobAnybody 13 Oct 2012 13:37:48 881 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    I must say, Nintendo deserves a pat on the back for including a HDMI cable in every box, something that can't be said for the other two (please correct me if I am wrong though!) ... however, choosing not to include a sensor bar in the basic pack is just *face palm*
    !
    I know, it's utterly crazy.

For the sake of such a cheap part (and bearing in mind that the basic pack in the US has a sensor bar included) I just cannot fathom Nintendo's cheap-assed decision.
  • NotSoSlim 13 Oct 2012 14:17:44 3,116 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    NotSoSlim wrote:
    50% extra on console trade ins towards (pre-ordering) the Wii U at GAME.

I think I may go down that route to be honest and get shot of my Xbox 360 or PS Vita.
    Is there anything to be seen about this deal online...?
    Not towards preordering mate. Seems you have to do it when collecting console.

Just saw it instore today

Edited by NotSoSlim at 17:20:12 13-10-2012
  • CharlieStCloud 13 Oct 2012 14:30:52 5,054 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RobAnybody wrote:
    I know, it's utterly crazy.

For the sake of such a cheap part (and bearing in mind that the basic pack in the US has a sensor bar included) I just cannot fathom Nintendo's cheap-assed decision.
    I actually had one of those 'double look' moments when I noticed the sensor bar was missing from the basic pack ... madness to be honest!

Oh, and thank you NotSoSlim for letting me know. I would be tempted to hand my PS Vita over however, I think I have a shy over £100 worth of digital games ... my fault!

Is the Wii remote actually going to be used for the Wii U (and their games)? I understand it is backward compactable with the Wii so, that is one reason for the sensor bar.
  • Carlo 13 Oct 2012 15:25:53 17,948 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've just cancelled my Pre-order due to these mitigating factors:

1. My wife's just bought 2 x 3DS's for the kids for Christmas
    2. I've decided to pack away the PS3 to the loft, and brought down the wii.
    3. 2 kids and 1 touchpad is likely to cause arguments.

Shame, as I had the £300 ZombiU bendle as well :)

PSN ID: Djini

• Sid-Nice 13 Oct 2012 17:36:23 15,852 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    I've just cancelled my Pre-order due to these mitigating factors:

1. My wife's just bought 2 x 3DS's for the kids for Christmas
    2. I've decided to pack away the PS3 to the loft, and brought down the wii.
    3. 2 kids and 1 touchpad is likely to cause arguments.

Shame, as I had the £300 ZombiU bendle as well :)
    £300 is pretty reasonable; what's the difference between the ZombiU Bundle and the ZombiU Bendle?

NNID Sid-Nice

• Sid-Nice 13 Oct 2012 19:22:57 15,852 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Big shake up at Nintendo.

NNID Sid-Nice

• GuiltySpark 13 Oct 2012 19:28:40 6,320 posts
    Seen 1 second ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Who was it that said "If your kids are arguing over the gamepad THEN YOU HAVEN'T RAISED THEM RIGHT"?

Get bent.

• griff_dai 13 Oct 2012 20:58:30 410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have pulled my pre order after seeing it in action today (ZombieU, Darksiders 2 and Batman) I see nothing that I don't get already from the 360 and the more the gamepad is used in connection with the game (ZombieU and Batman for example) then that means the biggest USP for me is gone as you cannot transfer from the TV to the controller.

I will sit this one out I think......
  • Jmog 13 Oct 2012 23:37:56 391 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:

Is the Wii remote actually going to be used for the Wii U (and their games)? I understand it is backward compactable with the Wii so, that is one reason for the sensor bar.
    It's very worrying that the sensor bar isn't included with the basic model. When I tried Zombie U I was VERY impressed with the whole "point gamepad at screen to look through night googles/sniper scoope" feature. It was completely fluid and seemed to fit extremely well with the part of the screen I pointed at.

Now how is it supposed to be able to do that without a sensor bar? Without it, the gamepad has no way of knowing where your telly/monitor/projector screen is located.

Edited by Jmog at 23:39:13 13-10-2012
  • Deleted user 13 October 2012 23:43:40
    I would assume that the gamepad, for the sniper bit, is actually using the gyroscope to aim the crosshairs in relation to them being on the gamepad screen, so the Wii U doesnt need to be able to sense where the gamepad is....
  • Jmog 14 Oct 2012 00:05:07 391 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sure, it's using the gyroscope to sense how you move it and which direction you turn it. But when I pointed it at the screen I saw the same thing as on the monitor in relation to what part of the monitor I aimed the gamepad at. Pointing the gamepad outside the monitor I saw parts of the gameplay not visible on the monitor.

In other words, it "knows" roughly where your monitor is. Same as a Wiimote does and that's only because the sensor bar is there sending it a "I'm at the middle of the bottom/top of your telly".
  • mal 14 Oct 2012 01:23:50 22,334 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd guess it works more or less exactly the same was a motionplus wii remote works - that is it uses an initial fix on the sensor bar to work out where it is in relation to the telly, but from then on you can not point it at the screen for quite a long time before it loses track of things too badly. Hard to say for sure though.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Raiko101 14 Oct 2012 10:57:17 6,061 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Surely Nintendo wouldn't drop the sensor bar from the standard bundle if it were absolutely necessary in order to play Wii U games.

• Sid-Nice 14 Oct 2012 11:28:01 15,852 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Surely Nintendo wouldn't drop the sensor bar from the standard bundle if it were absolutely necessary in order to play Wii U games.
    If the Sensor Bar is essential then it should be included in the box; Wii owners intending to purchase a Wii U will get shot of the Wii as the new console has backward compatibility. The Wii would be useless without the Sensor Bar which would have to be included if you traded the console towards the purchase of a Wii U.

The cost of a Sensor Bar and a Wii Motion Plus controller will be higher than the trade-in price. When Nintendo launched the 3DS XL in Europe they didnít include the charger as they assumed because there are millions of chargers in circulation most people will already own one.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Baleoce 14 Oct 2012 16:10:56 1,185 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Are they going to do any other type of bundle for those of us who don't particularly want to play another zombie game?

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• Sid-Nice 14 Oct 2012 16:50:12 15,852 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Premium pack contains Nintendo Land if you have no interest in ZombiU. The ZombiU bundle is the Premium pack with ZombiU replacing Nintendo Land which also includes the Pro Controller. There will most likely be other bundles available closer to Christmas with the likes of Game profiteering on shortages forcing the public to buy the shovel-ware bundle at £400.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Page

of 1346 First / Last