Wii U Page 186

• Page

of 1390 First / Last

• AcidSnake 3 Oct 2012 11:25:51 7,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @vizzini:
    Well, it's the first I've heard of the thing so I'd bet the general public would be just as or less aware than I am...

Also it doesn't do double screen then? It's basically a fancy tablet with optional buttons...Not really what Wii U is aiming for...

And again, unless you provide some link I'll continue to assume the Wii U gamepad can be taken into other rooms...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Carlo 3 Oct 2012 11:27:27 18,182 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted

PSN ID: Djini

• ResidentKnievel 3 Oct 2012 11:31:54 6,259 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Christ these threads attract the worst kinds of man-children, ecosse must be releasing pheromones.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• roz123 3 Oct 2012 11:34:50 7,113 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Apparently the gamepad works perfect within 24 feet or 8 meters of the console but I have no idea what kind of effect walls will have on that.
  • Carlo 3 Oct 2012 11:37:10 18,182 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    Apparently the gamepad works perfect within 24 feet or 8 meters of the console but I have no idea what kind of effect walls will have on that.
    Doesn't it use Bluetooth v4

• MatMan562 3 Oct 2012 12:05:28 2,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Sid-Nice Ah, ok, thanks! I'll have to decide between the two then.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Deleted user 3 October 2012 12:08:21
    @roz123

If it uses radio wave, it will depend on the baseband wavelength choosen(carrier wave), the error resilience of the modulation technique for encoding/decoding the (high frequency) data onto the carrier wave.

Carrier waves typically go through walls easily, but encoded signal on the wave will get randomly distorted by physical materials in the wall, thereby needing forward error correction and (ultra fast) methods for graceful degradation to handle missing data packets. The lower the encoded data rate, usually means better resilence, so it will depend on just how much data gets shipped to the controller in 3D games. I imagine something like 2D Mario will work ok, if it is at all possible.
  • MoGamer2006 3 Oct 2012 12:29:43 977 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Syrette

Defensive? Didn't think I was being defensive. Just a bit bored of reading the same empty comments from people who've not even used the damn thing.

I'm not convinced by Wii U either way, though I'm interested in seeing what devs can do with any new tech.
  • ronuds 3 Oct 2012 13:25:04 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    @vizzini:
    Well, it's the first I've heard of the thing so I'd bet the general public would be just as or less aware than I am...

And again, unless you provide some link I'll continue to assume the Wii U gamepad can be taken into other rooms...

What's this wikipad then? First I've heard of it too. Sounds pretty doomed to me - not that my having heard of it or not is the key indicator of that, but c'mon now.

In regards to the distance you can take the tablet from the console, my guess is that they don't really intend for you to take it to other rooms. For starters, they haven't bragged about it, which you figure they would if that were the case.

ARS says that it "probably won't work too far from your living room."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/09/everything-you-need-know-about-the-wii-u/

Q: Can I use the GamePad as a full-fledged tablet computer?

A: Not really. The GamePad doesn't have any significant processing power on its own, and only works in conjunction with the Wii U base unit, which streams video and audio data to the GamePad. So if you take it too far outside your living room, it won't work anymore (Nintendo hasn't detailed exactly how far away from the system the GamePad can function).
    My experience has been that if they're not talkin' about it, it's probably bad news.
  • roz123 3 Oct 2012 13:34:03 7,113 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The guy who said its 8 meters/24 feet was Bill Trinen, the bloke who translates for Miyamoto at all the big shows.
  • ronuds 3 Oct 2012 13:39:32 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm just sayin' - if they made it so you could be playing a game in bed while the console sits downstairs in the living room, they'd be talking about it.

24 feet could be in direct line only.

I'm just sayin's all.
  • Raiko101 3 Oct 2012 13:53:11 6,621 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There was a trailer of one particular game, I can't remember which, in which somebody was playing multiplayer while on the toilet. After the game ended the toilet flushed and out he came to celebrate. Maybe he had the door open though. :eek:

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• THFourteen 3 Oct 2012 14:18:50 34,275 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MoGamer2006 wrote:
    @THFourteen

Surely an opinion is something born of fact and experience, not speculation and prejudice?
    Fact and experience, exactly. So i've read up enough about the Wii U to know what it is supposed to do, and my experience entails looking at it.

Thus i formed my opinion. My opinion is indeed based on previous experiences with Nintendo rubb..products so i guess you could call it prejudiced, but its not speculation.
  • Carlo 3 Oct 2012 14:40:11 18,182 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @THFourteen What (if anything - and you're perfectly entitled not to) would change your mind about this new system?

• Sid-Nice 3 Oct 2012 14:42:37 15,851 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Raiko101 That was the "Sports Connection" trailer from Ubisoft; he won a kart racing game while taking a pit stop.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Deleted user 3 October 2012 14:52:23
    Raiko101:There was a trailer of one particular game, I can't remember which, in which somebody was playing multiplayer while on the toilet. After the game ended the toilet flushed and out he came to celebrate. Maybe he had the door open though.

@Raiko101

The toilet probably was in the lounge and the door made of pine. As pine doors are much less dense material than a party wall's plaster or supporting wall's brick, as they are two thin sheets of light, low density wood held apart by small amounts of cardboard and mostly hollow space, making them better for short range high data-rate radio like bluetooth to pass through.:)

Edited by vizzini at 15:05:46 03-10-2012
  • AcidSnake 3 Oct 2012 14:58:55 7,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @vizzini:
    Or, you know, it was just an ad?

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Deleted user 3 October 2012 15:05:33
    @AcidSnake

Sorry, originally forgot to add the smiley face, to show it was a possible truth said in jest.
  • AcidSnake 3 Oct 2012 15:11:12 7,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @vizzini:
    Hmmm...you got away with it this time, but I'm keeping my eye on you...

• THFourteen 3 Oct 2012 16:30:28 34,275 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    @THFourteen What (if anything - and you're perfectly entitled not to) would change your mind about this new system?
    Well at the moment nothing much really. Not a fault of the system, but for me personally, i don't see what it adds over my existing consoles (all 3) or PC apart from an extra screen and a larger controller which i dont think fundamentally changes the gameplay experience. They have tried this before with Gameboy and PSP and Vita and its never been found useful. You either look at the TV or you look down. you can't do both

I don't particularly want to play through ME3 again, and i haven't seen any games on the system which make me think that having a seperate screen for them will add to the experience (although i may be wrong and will find out eventually) or any exclusives on the console which are must-have over existing consoles.

Also i think its a bit late in the day to be releasing hardware which is only slightly better than the existing hardware and expecting people to spend a lot of money on it.
  • Carlo 3 Oct 2012 16:34:22 18,182 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    Well at the moment nothing much really. Not a fault of the system, but for me personally, i don't see what it adds over my existing consoles (all 3) or PC apart from an extra screen and a larger controller which i dont think fundamentally changes the gameplay experience. They have tried this before with Gameboy and PSP and Vita and its never been found useful. You either look at the TV or you look down. you can't do both

I don't particularly want to play through ME3 again, and i haven't seen any games on the system which make me think that having a seperate screen for them will add to the experience (although i may be wrong and will find out eventually) or any exclusives on the console which are must-have over existing consoles.

Also i think its a bit late in the day to be releasing hardware which is only slightly better than the existing hardware and expecting people to spend a lot of money on it.
    Nothing wrong with that at all IMO, all sounds very sensible. Presumably, you can also see why some people are excited about this in some sympathetic way? For example, there are bound to be a lot of people who do not have access to the broad range of hardware you have, and possibly not have a tablet either, that this might appeal to.

• THFourteen 3 Oct 2012 16:41:20 34,275 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Nothing wrong with that at all IMO, all sounds very sensible. Presumably, you can also see why some people are excited about this in some sympathetic way? For example, there are bound to be a lot of people who do not have access to the broad range of hardware you have, and possibly not have a tablet either, that this might appeal to.
    New console alone is enough for people to get (understandably) excited about!
  • SirScratchalot 3 Oct 2012 17:35:12 7,877 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /Walks into thread and sees reasonable and polite discussion...
    Good on everyone on this page, very nice reading.
  • Sid-Nice 3 Oct 2012 18:09:33 15,851 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The main hook for me with the Wii U is the ability to play Nintendo games in high definition. If the Gamepad enhances the gaming experience then “Great” bring it on. From what I’ve seen of the Wii U Gamepad it does seem to focus more on the asymmetric multiplayer elements; with the exception of ZombiU which is aimed at the single player experience.

The Gamepad offers many cool novel ideas but could be looked upon as more of a novelty than a necessity. The Gamepad is an expensive peripheral and in 2 years’ time people might say “The cost of the Gamepad would have been better spent on the consoles internal components in keeping up with the Xbox 3 and PS4.”

My main concern is how robust will the Gamepad be? Christmas Day is going to be an absolute nightmare for Nintendo and Wii U owners; someone is bound to have a 22 stone drunk Aunty who will sit on the Gamepad and there is also the big footed clumsy klutz that will stand on one, not to mention all the bad losers around the world.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Sid-Nice 3 Oct 2012 18:11:24 15,851 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @SirScratchalot Yes it is nice to see people discussing their differences in a civil manner; which is better than the usual “I’m not buying another Nintendo console as I got burned by the fucking piece of shit they called Wii” how on earth could anybody get burned off a Nintendo console when they aren’t powerful enough to get warm never mind hot.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Armoured_Bear 3 Oct 2012 19:03:35 11,734 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    SirScratchalot wrote:
    /Walks into thread and sees reasonable and polite discussion...
    Good on everyone on this page, very nice reading.
    Get fucked cuntbag.

Someone had to :-)

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Jmog 3 Oct 2012 19:03:38 407 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My "new hardware" fetisch is growing stronger and stronger. Digital Foundry will most likely be the final straw for me. After playing the wonderful ship section of AC3 at the Expo, I would be unable to resist a Wii U if Leadbetter concludes that the game has a better framerate on the Wii U.

Actually, the DF comparison articles will be extremely interesting when the Wii U launches. We might actually start seeing multiplatform games with decisive performance differences. A lot of people are on the fence regarding a Wii U purchase but how would that change if a couple of multiplatform titles run in 60fps in the Wii U versions? Wishful thinking, perhaps, but not entirely implausible.

Would it influence your buying decision? Let's disregard the gamepad for a minute. Would discernable performance differences in multiplatform games affect you?

My resolve would crumble like old cookies.

Edited by Jmog at 19:06:01 03-10-2012

Edited by Jmog at 19:07:14 03-10-2012
  • mal 3 Oct 2012 19:07:01 22,797 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I reckon so, yes. Personally I was a little disappointed that I didn't see anything at the expo that looked like it couldn't be done on the PS360 (gamepad aside).

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Jmog 3 Oct 2012 19:11:22 407 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Now that you mention it, apart from Rayman and Trine 2 there wasn't a single multiplatform game for the Wii U present. Really a shame,

And I concur, the other consoles should have no issue matching the visuals from the first party games as well as Zombie U.

December is going to be a glorious month to read EG!
  • MatMan562 3 Oct 2012 21:04:17 2,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    My main concern is how robust will the Gamepad be? Christmas Day is going to be an absolute nightmare for Nintendo and Wii U owners; someone is bound to have a 22 stone drunk Aunty who will sit on the Gamepad and there is also the big footed clumsy klutz that will stand on one, not to mention all the bad losers around the world.
    I wouldn't ave thought this should be too much of a problem. Nintedo hardware is usually pretty sturdy stuff, I remember hearinf of GameBoys surviving washing machines. Obviously they will break but I think it will require some force or an unfortunate screen landing.

I'm actually really stating to get excited for the Wii U now!

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Page

of 1390 First / Last