Wii U Page 182

• Page

of 1354 First / Last

• Jmog 1 Oct 2012 13:24:50 394 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My impressions after trying the Wii U at the EG Expo.

First, the gamepad is surprisingly pleasant to hold. Not as good as a regular controller but not that far off. Screen quality was also better than expected with great colours and the resolution is high enough. I played Trine 2, which supports running on the touchscreen only, and I didn't notice the framerate being perceptibly lower than on the telly. Weight seemed fine, but it's difficult to be sure without having tried it out for longer sustained periods of gaming. So far my only real concerns are the triggers and the face buttons. The triggers aren't analogue so they will be rubbish for racing games. The face buttons being placed directly below the right stick feels REALLY weird. I imagine you could get used to it though. Maybe.

As for the games:

New Super Mario Bros:
    -Mario in HD basically. Looks pretty but awfully familiar. Not going to buy it.

Rayman:
    -Looks gorgeous and plays wonderfully. Has a surprising amount of Wii U centric features which didn't look tacked on but simply fun. One to look out for.

Trine 2:
    -Already have it on my PS3 but being able to ly in bed with the game on the touch screen is almost reason enough to get the Wii U version.

Zombie U:
    -A game with a lot of potential. Just playing it for 10 minutes was definetely not enough to get a feeling for whether the game is actually fun. It might be though. The Wii U features are pretty great though. Holding up the gamepad in front of the telly and using it like night vision goggles/sniper scope is such a seamless experience that it almost feels like magic.

The Wonderful 101:
    -Some have described this as Viewtiful Joe meets Pikmin... and they are completely right. It hits all the right notes with varied and innovative gameplay with lush, colourful graphics. The way they use the gamepad screen is inispired. If I get a Wii U, this will probably be the first game I get.

The controller Pro:
    -Very similar to the Xbox pad though not as comfy to hold than its obvious inspiration. Extremely light and seems to use builtin rechargeable batteries like the PS3 controller. Similar USB connector too. Sadly the triggers are digital like on the Gamepad. And the sticks are symmetrical.

As you might have noticed, I am still on the fence. I probably will get one but I am waiting on the first game reviews to see if there are some genuine must-haves. So far my greatest hopes are on The Wonderful 100 and Zombie U being as great to play as they appear to be. If they are, then I will probably get one.

Edited by Jmog at 13:27:01 01-10-2012
  • Bremenacht 1 Oct 2012 13:34:13 17,696 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Your wait years for a Pikmin game and two come along at once?!

I'd not even heard of W101 until the last page. I'm interested. Still not interested enough to want a Wii U though. Humbug.
  • CosmicFuzz 1 Oct 2012 13:35:35 23,774 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The digital triggers are an astounding oversight.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• MatMan562 1 Oct 2012 13:36:29 2,372 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Ignatius_Cheese Excellent, thank you!

And thanks for all the write-ups as well. On the whole it seems to be impressing people.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Gambit1977 1 Oct 2012 13:46:22 9,583 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What's this digital trigger malarkey? o_O
    That sounds like a ridiculous step backwards.
  • SirScratchalot 1 Oct 2012 13:53:22 7,872 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    While I know racing afficianados will be very sad I can't come up with many other use cases. Aside from (the inevitable) Mario Kart I won't be likely to play any racing games but I guess I might just be missing obvious use cases?
  • Gambit1977 1 Oct 2012 13:56:52 9,583 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @SirScratchalot I can't help feeling it will feel wrong, if they just click
  • mikew1985 1 Oct 2012 14:06:39 12,652 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Yep, it's absolute madness. they've fucked themselves over for racing games.
  • mrpon 1 Oct 2012 14:10:02 28,715 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They can't even retro-fit them (I'd assume) so it's a ton down for a replacement gamepad, if/when.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• mikew1985 1 Oct 2012 14:15:10 12,652 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    true, shoulder buttons are always the first to go, triggers seem to have a much better shelf life.
  • Deleted user 1 October 2012 14:28:01
    Much better for fighters though
  • SirScratchalot 1 Oct 2012 14:39:27 7,872 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Well, I guess I'll have try it but I was genuinely suprised people seemed to think this is central. But I've since realized that i don't play either sports or racing games, and I assume those might be the ones who use it.
  • mal 1 Oct 2012 14:43:32 22,418 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Feels a bit like the PS pads, but with better ergonomics for L/R2 aka. LZ/RZ, at least on the gamepad. Does look like I'll be continuing to buy my racers on 360 though.

Edit: Good point, Crispy. With four buttons accessible to your fingers, they might actually be preferable to the standard four buttons accessible to your thumbs, and closer to the experience of using an arcade stick.

Edited by mal at 14:46:40 01-10-2012

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• mikew1985 1 Oct 2012 14:43:52 12,652 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    True, are fighters not irrelevant again though?

Anyway, Wonderful 101 sounds lovely, I'm avoiding watching footage of it on purpose. It's the exact kind of game which would make me consider the Wii U. I'm such a sucker for new shiny syndrome.

/stares at unused launch 3DS and increasingly little used Vita.
  • Jmog 1 Oct 2012 14:44:02 394 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Better for fighters? Sure. If the game uses 8 buttons but is that really common? Most fighting games use 6 or less.

As for other games than racing games where analogue triggers are used:
    -Fifa: analogue changing of your running speed.
    -every single fps or tps with a car section.

There are probably quite a few others too. And then there's general usage. If you have to press down a button for longer periods then it will be more stressful on your finger than if it had been a trigger.
  • Deleted user 1 October 2012 14:59:57
    mikew1985 wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    About as irrelevant as racing sims I suppose. Probably better for shooters and stuff too with the lack of travel.

Pretty piss poor for Mario Sunshine
  • AcidSnake 1 Oct 2012 15:04:15 7,233 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Jmog:
    Racers are one thing but any vehicles in FPS/TPS I've always driven as if it had digital control...And mostly they respond as if they're digital too...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Sid-Nice 1 Oct 2012 15:06:03 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I believe that the Gamepad and the Pro Controller feel lighter than the retail models will be as the demo models are tethered and don't include the rechargeable batteries.

NNID Sid-Nice

• mikew1985 1 Oct 2012 15:06:30 12,652 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    About as irrelevant as racing sims I suppose.
    Good point but you have the likes of Saints Row, GTA and any other Open world games where triggers are important too.
  • mikew1985 1 Oct 2012 15:10:24 12,652 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have a question I'm sure some of you more ardent Wii U anticipators will be able to field. I heard on some podcast recently (can't remmber which one) that some game, darksiders 2 I think, was announced as being "compatible" for play on the gamepad.

Now I was under the impression all games could be played off TV on the gamepad, is this not the case?
  • Deleted user 1 October 2012 15:10:53
    For what?
  • mikew1985 1 Oct 2012 15:12:12 12,652 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just like played on the bog etc. or when the GF wants to watch X factor (in some bizarre world where I don't keep my Wii U in the spare room).
  • Gambit1977 1 Oct 2012 15:12:17 9,583 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Feels a bit like the PS pads, but with better ergonomics for L/R2 aka. LZ/RZ, at least on the gamepad. Does look like I'll be continuing to buy my racers on 360 though.

Edit: Good point, Crispy. With four buttons accessible to your fingers, they might actually be preferable to the standard four buttons accessible to your thumbs, and closer to the experience of using an arcade stick.
    Thanks for that little tidbit mate, that makes it sound better than what I imagined :D
  • mrpon 1 Oct 2012 15:22:06 28,715 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    I have a question I'm sure some of you more ardent Wii U anticipators will be able to field. I heard on some podcast recently (can't remmber which one) that some game, darksiders 2 I think, was announced as being "compatible" for play on the gamepad.

Now I was under the impression all games could be played off TV on the gamepad, is this not the case?
    Liken it to the Vita-PS3 Remote Play limitation. Not all games support it and it has to be coded specifically to support gamepad only.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• mikew1985 1 Oct 2012 15:24:29 12,652 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:

Liken it to the Vita-PS3 Remote Play limitation. Not all games support it and it has to be coded specifically to support gamepad only.
    Ah fair enough, I just assumed it was built in for all games but thinking about it now, Nintendo Land and the likes of ZombiU where the monitor is used to expand gameplay it would obviously be impossible to play solely on the tablet.
  • Jmog 1 Oct 2012 15:30:39 394 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:

It's not. There are two issues. Firstly, a game that uses touchscreen and telly to show different things (Zombie U, Wonderful 101) won't support gamepad-only gaming as you would lack vital controls. Secondly, Nintendo have stated that running a game on the touch screen will diminish framerate by half. In other words, it would only be usable for games that run in 60fps to begin with.

Obviously A LOT of games won't be running in 60fps. I would imagine most 2D games (Rayman, Trine 2, Mario) would be fitting candidates but the majority of 3D games will be 30fps and therefore not suitable for gamepad-only gaming as 15fps is unplayable.

Edited by Jmog at 15:32:04 01-10-2012
  • 1Dgaf 1 Oct 2012 15:31:24 3,791 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THe thing about digital triggers is that it limits what games can do. It's not like it's some new technology, either.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• ResidentKnievel 1 Oct 2012 15:35:03 6,173 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's not as if there's some sort of reasonable trade-off between digital and analogue triggers as you can have both on the same controller.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• mikew1985 1 Oct 2012 15:39:40 12,652 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jmog wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:

It's not. There are two issues. Firstly, a game that uses touchscreen and telly to show different things (Zombie U, Wonderful 101) won't support gamepad-only gaming as you would lack vital controls. Secondly, Nintendo have stated that running a game on the touch screen will diminish framerate by half. In other words, it would only be usable for games that run in 60fps to begin with.

Obviously A LOT of games won't be running in 60fps. I would imagine most 2D games (Rayman, Trine 2, Mario) would be fitting candidates but the majority of 3D games will be 30fps and therefore not suitable for gamepad-only gaming as 15fps is unplayable.
    Why is the frame rate halved though?

If it's not pushing an image on screen surely the refresh rate is only halved due to somesort of wireless bandwidth issue rather than the actual horsepower of the machine. Why would pushing to the tablet flat out necessitate a halving of the framerate?

It's not like 3D where its effectively rendering the image twice causing an unavoidable reduction in frame rate.

Edited by mikew1985 at 15:40:59 01-10-2012
  • Jmog 1 Oct 2012 15:45:18 394 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mikew1985

Honestly I can't make sense of it either. But since the info comes from Nintendo it must be true. Otherwise they would be talking about their perfect gamepad gaming constantly.
  • Page

of 1354 First / Last