Wii U Page 1296

• Page

of 1346 First / Last

• Ror1984 11 Jun 2014 22:02:39 2,825 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This Treehouse thing has been the best thing about E3 IMO. It's been really good to see the games actually being played and to hear from the devs.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Toaster05 11 Jun 2014 22:07:17 194 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ror1984 wrote:
    This Treehouse thing has been the best thing about E3 IMO. It's been really good to see the games actually being played and to hear from the devs.
    Totally agree, Treehouse isn't something I've tuned into before but I really get the reason why Nintendo are doing this. A nice punchy Direct showing the crown jewels and then these little snippets of constant info.

Importantly it's constant gameplay. I'm guilty of not looking but have the PS4 and Xbox One games been showing the goods to this level?

NNID: Toaster05
    3DS: 2595-1403-4953
    SteamID: Toaster05
    Xbox Live: Toaster05

• superbob85 11 Jun 2014 22:12:11 1,730 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    More interested in Smash on Wii U but smash is smash I suppose. Coming around more and more to the Amiibo interaction for characters and stats.
  • Ror1984 11 Jun 2014 23:43:11 2,825 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Toaster05 wrote:
    Ror1984 wrote:
    Totally agree, Treehouse isn't something I've tuned into before but I really get the reason why Nintendo are doing this. A nice punchy Direct showing the crown jewels and then these little snippets of constant info.

Importantly it's constant gameplay. I'm guilty of not looking but have the PS4 and Xbox One games been showing the goods to this level?
    Not that I've seen. I think they've probably been showing bits and pieces with media outlets (I saw two of the 343i guys doing an interview and a brief look at Halo 2 Anniversary on IGN, for example), but nothing concentrated of their own like this.

What makes this great is that once you're in the stream, you just stay there and enjoy. You don't have to hunt anything down to see all the gameplay.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• MatMan562 12 Jun 2014 00:10:47 2,310 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mario vs Donkey Kong is looking really good! Shame it's not out until next year though, it looks almost ready.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• ChiefGB 12 Jun 2014 00:50:21 766 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ign have been live streaming all titles same times as treehouse, although each is much shorter. But a more balanced quota vs obvs just ninty.
  • Razz 12 Jun 2014 02:34:22 60,765 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Toaster05 wrote:
    YenRug wrote:
    Toaster05 wrote:
    I can't be the only person who is lusting after those pin badges that the Nintendo top brass have all been sporting.
    Reggie mentioned them in the IGN Q&A video I linked a few pages back, apparently they're hand made by someone who works in the New York Nintendo Store.
    Nice to know, but at the same time that means we'll never see them :(
    GAME sold a few of them, I've got a couple of the ones similar to ones reggie wore

Edited by Razz at 02:34:44 12-06-2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Adv 12 Jun 2014 06:41:48 1,410 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    So S.T.E.A.M was yesterday's reveal. 2 more tonight now.

Screenshots:https://m.facebook.com/NintendoHandheldGaming/posts/682596355145692

Edited by Adv at 06:43:37 12-06-2014
  • mumtoucher 12 Jun 2014 06:52:29 263 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This really is a cracking little console. So glad I bought it now.
  • Adv 12 Jun 2014 07:12:38 1,410 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Despite Nintendo having a great E3, I'm still a bit skeptical on its life. It's took Nintendo this long to get all this to E3 and once they're out, I suspect they'll be another gap of nothing due to no 3rd party support and Nintendo either in the middle of projects or just starting them. I think the Wii u will have a short, but sweet life in the end.

Saying that though, take away indie and 3rd party games and Sony and MS are even worse...

Edited by Adv at 07:19:29 12-06-2014
  • malloc 12 Jun 2014 07:33:55 2,299 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It looks like they have a reasonable pipe line until 2015. I would imagine 2016 would bring us a Retro game and whatever the other Nintendo teams are working on now that isn't star fox or Zelda, I.e Mario Kart and Pikmin teams. I think the console needs to last until 2017 to gain Nintendo credibility and to have a hope of third party developers returning.
  • Adv 12 Jun 2014 07:39:29 1,410 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I suspect we'll here of another console by about 2016 and released maybe late 16 or early 17 to be honest.

Also, do you think Nintendo regret throwing the game pad in with the Wii u now? I still haven't seen a reason to have that thing. :/

Edited by Adv at 07:40:06 12-06-2014
  • zoolophage 12 Jun 2014 08:12:26 1,587 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Off tv play is the reason to have the gamepad. It's not a game related feature but is incredibly useful and I wouldn't be without it now. You can certainly credibly argue that the gamepad has been woefully underutilised I'm terms of expanding gameplay and creating new ways of playing, but at the end of the day off tv play is king.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• Phattso Moderator 12 Jun 2014 08:15:05 13,199 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wii U is a nice side-device to have alongside, for example, the PC. I can't imagine it'd be a good choice as one's only gaming machine excepting those households that just use it as The Mario Kart Machine (in the same way as I have friends that only have The FIFA Machine).

I'm hoping that whatever Nintendo does next at least keeps up the trend of backwards compatibility where possible. Give us something to play on their new machine while waiting the inevitable two years for something good to turn up. ;)
  • Adv 12 Jun 2014 08:15:11 1,410 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Meh, I can see it being good for smaller games, but i prefer to play games on a big TV.

Also, it's been confirmed the Zelda footage we saw was in game. Check the zelda thread for me info.

damn...it looks good.
  • Sharzam 12 Jun 2014 08:20:35 2,695 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The pro controller saves it for me. The gamepad is useful because of the pro controller.

It allows for things like ZombiU multiplayer and as the boost in Mario U. The gamepad is a bit clunky for things like Mario Kart so I don't bother, but as it has the pro controller it really doesn't matter. I just wish you could turn off the screen but still use it, as it's incredibly distracting having moving images that you are not using for example Child of Light and Runner 2.

Has the gamepad been a revolutionary controller, no not all. Has the controller got in the way of great games, also no. I really can't see it as a reason to avoid the WiiU. Some people say nope I won't buy any console with a touch screen/pad, "remove the gamepad first" and yet then go and buy a PS4 which lacks the pro controller and its insane battery life.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• acousticwilliam 12 Jun 2014 08:24:07 778 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Apologies for the Hype Train yesterday. Still, STEAM looks decent, event if the story/world is a little off.

My new theory is on the 3rd day - the last day - MM is the last reveal. That would be such a smug PR-able joy to behold.

NNID: Willum

• Darren 12 Jun 2014 08:24:58 8,698 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm building up quite a nice library of Wii U games now...got Sonic & All-Stars Racings Transformed (14) and Sonic: Lost World (23) the other day, both great games (and, yes, even the latter is actually not that bad if a bit obviously inspired by Super Mario Galaxy).

I'm really enjoying my time on the Wii U and feel that this is the true successor to the GameCube and not the initially fun but then deeply underwhelming Wii. I only wish that the two Super Mario Galaxy games, Metroid Prime 3 and the two Wii Zelda games existed as proper Wii U games as well so I could play them on the Gamepad.

I also bought a physical copy of Super Luigi U which I found for 22 (sorry Nintendo but I prefer boxed games) and I think that has been my first purchasing mistake. It's not that the game is bad or anything but it IS stupidly hard with a 100 second time limit, no auto-saves after every world (my first occurred after completing the first mini boss on level 3) and punishing level design that cranks up from Challenging to WTF/OH MT GOD!!! levels of difficulty by the third level. I think Dark Souls is a walk in the park compared with this game. Do NOT buy if are easily frustrated...it's been a long time since I played a game and cursed so much playing it. I played it for about an hour and in that time had to replay the first two levels about half a dozen times before I was finally able to finish level 3 and have the game auto-save!

I loaded up Super Mario 3D World to calm my nerves and at least in that game if you get die a lot it kindly gives you a powerup that allows you to just run through enemies. This game is just pure joy IMO even though I found some levels challenging (like the one on World 3 where there are gates moving up/down/forward/backwards and the screen automatically scrolls forward (i.e. you cannot go back and if you get trapped on the left hand side then you lose a life). It's pretty clear the developers want people to be entertained with this game and it is packed with variety and lots of lovely, cute Nintendo touches. It also looks and sounds gorgeous. I have been playing so many of the other games, especially Zelda: Wind Waker HD and ZombiiU, that I had actually not played this since I got it over a week ago!

I'm hoping LEGO City Undercover comes today from Currys - I'm really looking forward to that - and I'm thinking about buying Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate once GAME get it back in stock (they have it listed new for 20 which is half the price of everywhere else).

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Adv 12 Jun 2014 08:31:12 1,410 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @Sharzam Fair point. Apart from games like pikmin where I can see it being useful, it's not like you have had to use it. But it does add a bit to the price which is a bit of an issue.

I just hope you're not forced to use it in Starfox and Zelda.
  • Sharzam 12 Jun 2014 08:35:09 2,695 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Adv

Play Wind Waker with the gamepad and then with the Pro controller, you will then take back that comment :)

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Deleted user 12 June 2014 08:40:01
    This Amiibo, am I missing something, because as far as I can understand, its a glorified USB stick for saving character data on. I mean they look pretty and all, but take away the "touch to connect" and this "read from and read to" amazingness is just a memory stick.
  • Pinky_Floyd 12 Jun 2014 08:41:14 7,381 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Darren Are you admitting to using the white tanooki suit?

/disgusted
  • mumtoucher 12 Jun 2014 09:34:35 263 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I use the off tv play all the time, it's a great feature!
  • Pinky_Floyd 12 Jun 2014 09:39:48 7,381 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Where's EG's editorial with the headline 'Nintendo wins E3'?

I want to see the comments thread go kabloom.
  • Kay 12 Jun 2014 09:40:54 17,761 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What am I missing with that X game? From what I saw it just looked like a bunch of giant robots fighting in space, didn't seem anything like the original Xenoblade.
  • zoolophage 12 Jun 2014 09:43:52 1,587 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @LegacySystem

No, you're not missing anything. Besides from looking nice it's just a memory stick that uses near field tech. The really interesting thing is how it will work e.g. possibly adding more levels to games, unlocking additional modes/challenges and having your performance in one game somehow affect the gameplay in another. That said, it will be annoying if you lack a particular character that is required to access additional features.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• dominalien 12 Jun 2014 09:52:22 6,835 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    What am I missing with that X game? From what I saw it just looked like a bunch of giant robots fighting in space, didn't seem anything like the original Xenoblade.
    You need to look a bit further back at Xenosaga.

PSN: DonOsito

• fletch7100 12 Jun 2014 10:01:16 6,944 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    http://www.gengame.net/2014/06/aonuma-zelda-wii-u-trailer-wasnt-just-in-engine-it-was-actually-gameplay/
  • Phattso Moderator 12 Jun 2014 10:12:09 13,199 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Adv wrote:
    Meh, I can see it being good for smaller games, but i prefer to play games on a big TV.
    I prefer it too, but if the choice is no game or game on the gamepad, I'll take the latter. If there are people around that don't want a game blaring out, I'll happily plod away on the gamepad in the corner.

In fact, I gave the Mario Kart Time Trials a damned good hammering for a few hours at the weekend on the gamepad. It was fucking excellent.

I'm surprised that I like it so much, as before owning the machine I shared your opinion. But now it's just a really neat extra.

If my Vita hadn't died on me, it'd be a huge influence on me buying a PS4 actually. Nintendo have sold me on the concept.
  • Physically_Insane 12 Jun 2014 10:23:00 8,617 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Wii U is a nice side-device to have alongside, for example, the PC. I can't imagine it'd be a good choice as one's only gaming machine excepting those households that just use it as The Mario Kart Machine (in the same way as I have friends that only have The FIFA Machine).
    This is the problem I've got. I game on PC now and I've had my heart set on getting a PS4 so I can play FIFA with my friends and get a few exclusives along the way (like The Last of Us, which I missed last gen).

But the Wii U man. I liked a lot of the games that they showed this year. And like you said, the exclusives that they hold totally outweigh Sony and Microsofts efforts.

Bah, still undecided!
  • Page

of 1346 First / Last