Wii U Page 1240

• Page

of 1405 First / Last

• aros 16 May 2014 11:36:00 3,404 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Item Under Review

This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible."
  • prawnking1980 16 May 2014 12:38:10 5,181 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It was listed as a games console with games
  • Phattso Moderator 16 May 2014 15:20:10 13,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fuck's sake - I can't load System Settings on the Wii U any more. Hard lock every time, need to take the power cable out.

It's bad enough that it's slow to load, unresponsive and a bit shit - but now the OS isn't actually functional. Jesus.
  • neilka 16 May 2014 15:22:04 16,522 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe this will help?

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Phattso Moderator 16 May 2014 15:25:23 13,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Banana tossing wankers. And DK.

On the plus side, I'm rediscovering the awesome of Rayman Legends. At least the easy levels anyway, the later ones take a giant dump on my meagre skills.
  • spazmo 16 May 2014 15:29:41 2,802 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seems like those John Lewis orders are being cancelled. No cheap Wii U for U.

• Gl3n Moderator 16 May 2014 16:27:10 5,948 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If Tesco would just reduce the price to £199 again I will jump at it.
  • Psiloc 16 May 2014 16:36:15 1,636 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @spazmo You got a source? Part of me wants to know if people are getting one for less than half of what I paid or not :)
  • Deleted user 16 May 2014 16:45:10
    Psiloc wrote:
    @spazmo You got a source? Part of me wants to know if people are getting one for less than half of what I paid or not :)
    Quick google is showing a few forums where people are saying they've had "Your order has been cancelled" emails.
  • spazmo 16 May 2014 17:09:48 2,802 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gl3n wrote:
    If Tesco would just reduce the price to £199 again I will jump at it.
    Well the Mario Kart bundle is £229 at moment but there is 10% off with code TDX-JK4T

Tesco
  • superbob85 16 May 2014 18:25:06 2,810 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Funny thing is there is games I want coming to the system so £199 is well worth it for me.

Edited by superbob85 at 18:25:22 16-05-2014
  • Sid-Nice 17 May 2014 12:22:44 15,851 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DiddlerDo wrote:
    Shame, the console isn't worth much more than a hundred so would have actually done well.
    Your thesis on the value of the Wii U is based on the price of the Xbox 360 and PS3. Even though the Wii U hardware is more akin to the last generation; the customised CPU and GP/GPU in the Wii U is modern technology and this is Nintendo’s entry into the “Next Generation.”

Edited by Sid-Nice at 12:23:32 17-05-2014

NNID Sid-Nice

• oceanmotion 17 May 2014 12:36:40 16,121 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Power consumption review

More in depth at the link.
  • RyanDS 17 May 2014 13:19:53 9,826 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    DiddlerDo wrote:
    Shame, the console isn't worth much more than a hundred so would have actually done well.
    Your thesis on the value of the Wii U is based on the price of the Xbox 360 and PS3. Even though the Wii U hardware is more akin to the last generation; the customised CPU and GP/GPU in the Wii U is modern technology and this is Nintendo’s entry into the “Next Generation.”
    That is what the adverts say. Graphically, gameplay wise and in the public mind it is very much or the PS360 generation and as such should be priced as such.
  • SomaticSense 17 May 2014 15:52:18 9,132 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    DiddlerDo wrote:
    That is what the adverts say. Graphically, gameplay wise and in the public mind it is very much or the PS360 generation and as such should be priced as such.
    It's a console with games of equal visual fidelity and tech capability as the PS3/360, therefore is last-gen. Regardless of the technicalities of it's release date of the console or the manufacture date of it's gubbins, it's last-gen.

Without wanting to start another debate with people who can't tell the difference between 'personal bite points' and actual value, I do feel the current RRP is far too much for what you get with regards to power. The PS4 isn't that much more, and is massively more powerful.
  • macmurphy 17 May 2014 16:19:45 999 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    DiddlerDo wrote:
    It's a console with games of equal visual fidelity and tech capability as the PS3/360, therefore is last-gen. Regardless of the technicalities of it's release date of the console or the manufacture date of it's gubbins, it's last-gen.

Without wanting to start another debate with people who can't tell the difference between 'personal bite points' and actual value, I do feel the current RRP is far too much for what you get with regards to power. The PS4 isn't that much more, and is massively more powerful.
    You get the controller. Off TV play is a great selling point and it can't be cheap. There's also the fact that a lot of people will have wiimotes already and that it's backward compatible. I think 200 pounds is the sweet spot, if you're not willing to pay that then you can't really be interested in the console.
  • Pinky_Floyd 17 May 2014 16:35:32 8,309 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Too pricey?  Dont buy it.

Same as last gen?  Stick with your PS3 or 360.

Want a massively more powerful console?  Get a PS4.

I am the problem solver.
  • Darren 17 May 2014 19:07:38 9,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right, I've done what I never expected to do and pre-ordered the Mario Kart 8 (+ free game) bundle from Tesco Direct for £209. I have a few questions though:

1. I'm short on HDMI inputs due to also having a PS3, PS4, Xbox One/Sky+HD (via passthrough) and a Sony BD player connected. I understand that the console comes with an HDMI cable but that you can use the Wii's component video cable which I still have. Is that correct? How is the picture quality with component? I guess I could always unplug my PS3 and use HDMI if it isn't as good as once The Last of Us comes out on the PS4 next month then I will be unlikely to be using it much.

2. Is Super Mario 3D Land one of the free games you can download with Mario Kart 8? I presume then that I would be better off buying the cheaper Zelda: Wind Waker HD and downloading the newer and more expensive Super Mario 3D Land as a freebie?

3. Does the Wii U still require that massive firmware update or do the newer consoles ship with the latest update?

4. Do I need to buy a classic controller for any games (I will have the three games I mentioned plus I want Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze. I may also pick Pikmin 3 and the two New Super Mario Bros. at some point though not straight away.

5. Is Zelda: Wind Waker HD really 1080p and 60 FPS?

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Darren 17 May 2014 19:08:46 9,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    6. Are there any other good games that people would recommend (not multiformat, for obvious reasons, and not ZombiU as I'm not interested in that).

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• jablonski 17 May 2014 19:16:29 4,834 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You probably could have found all that out with quick googling rather than write all that out
  • BeebleB 17 May 2014 19:27:29 984 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    maybe get a HDMI splitter thing...I used to have one on my old monitor so I could get everything in..

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• PatrickEwing 17 May 2014 19:35:37 2,150 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got a a hdmi splitter but it's not very reliable. Occasionally lose sound and sometimes picture when changing sources so have given up and just swap connections at back if tv. Mine was from amazon, it's a black square with gold writing, might want to check some other reviews of it.
  • Sharzam 17 May 2014 20:25:24 3,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Darren

1. I believe you can use the Wii component cable yes. As for quality cant imagine it will be a huge difference, but it will be a downgrade as component is analog in nature. You can buy HDMI splitters also.

2. The full list is earlier in the MK8 thread, and no Mario 3D World is not one of them but Pikmin and W101 are get them :).

3. No idea but at a guess i would say no as the Mario bundle is the newest bundle.

4. All Wii U games work with the Gamepad so its not required but the Pro controller might personally be your preference. I use it for DK:TF all the time. Pikmin is best played with a Wii remote fyi. Be careful when wording/searching as the 'classic' and 'classic pro' are wii controllers the 'wii u pro controller' is the one you want.

5. Yes Wind Waker is 1080p, but is not solid 60fps from what i can tell. No impact on gameplay.

Edited by Sharzam at 20:27:16 17-05-2014

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Armoured_Bear 17 May 2014 20:45:20 11,877 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    DiddlerDo wrote:

I'd love to see the PS3 game that looks as good as Mario Kart 8

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Pinky_Floyd 17 May 2014 20:53:00 8,309 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Uh oh, Darrens bought a Wii U.  Lengthy paragraphs of in depth analysis and some opinion pieces incoming ;)
  • Darren 17 May 2014 21:47:45 9,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sharzam wrote:
    @Darren

1. I believe you can use the Wii component cable yes. As for quality cant imagine it will be a huge difference, but it will be a downgrade as component is analog in nature. You can buy HDMI splitters also.

2. The full list is earlier in the MK8 thread, and no Mario 3D World is not one of them but Pikmin and W101 are get them :).

3. No idea but at a guess i would say no as the Mario bundle is the newest bundle.

4. All Wii U games work with the Gamepad so its not required but the Pro controller might personally be your preference. I use it for DK:TF all the time. Pikmin is best played with a Wii remote fyi. Be careful when wording/searching as the 'classic' and 'classic pro' are wii controllers the 'wii u pro controller' is the one you want.

5. Yes Wind Waker is 1080p, but is not solid 60fps from what i can tell. No impact on gameplay.
    Thanks.

I will choose either Pikmin 3 or The Wonderful 101 as the free game as I found New Super Mario Bros. cheap at GAME and with some Reward Points it cost me £18.79. I ordered Zelda: The Wind Waker from Amazon for £30 (I wanted a boxed copy) and I have Super Mario 3D Land on backorder at ShopTo.net (costs £37.86 less £2.50 credit I got from being overcharged for the PS4 version of Wolfenstein: TNO). I will pick up Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze and New Super Luigi U later in the year, possibly when they're discounted in a sale. I think that covers many of the Wii U's best exclusives, doesn't it?

From reading around, I think will need to pick up the larger capacity battery at some point and the Wii U Pro controller but I still have the Zelda: Skyward Sword collector's edition with the Gold Wiimote Plus so I'm guessing I could use that for multiplayer Mario Kart 8 in the meantime?

Unfortunately, I sold my Wii a year ago so I've lost all my downloaded SNES, Megadrive and N64 games, although I think some of them may be backed up to a 2 GB SD card but without the Wii I will be unable to recover them. Which is annoying as I had quite a few games, around 20 or so. :(

• jablonski 17 May 2014 21:51:02 4,834 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You can launch the Wii U in original Wii mode, so it will recognise any games you have on that SF card
  • Pinky_Floyd 17 May 2014 21:51:07 8,309 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dont really need the high capacity battery as the power lead for the gamepad is unobtrusive and extremely long.  Plugging it in also enables the super secret extra brightness boost.  Having said that, I have the high cap battery and its ace.
  • Darren 17 May 2014 21:51:26 9,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Uh oh, Darrens bought a Wii U.  Lengthy paragraphs of in depth analysis and some opinion pieces incoming ;)
    Don't worry, they're likely to be extremely positive as I've always had a soft spot for Nintendo games.

• Page

of 1405 First / Last