Wii U Page 1229

• Page

of 1354 First / Last

• macmurphy 8 May 2014 09:41:44 999 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Also, given how much they whore out pokemans, its quite astonishing that they didnt do this sooner.

I would have thought a rip off of skylanders where you can collect statues of snorlax would be the worlds biggest tap in.
    This is why people like you will never work at Nintendo. Get to fuck with your common sense.
  • nickthegun 8 May 2014 09:50:26 59,361 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its incredible, really. Even Square managed to get Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles to use the gameboy and the gamecube.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Great_Googly_Moogly 8 May 2014 10:07:40 680 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The slightly sad thing about all this talk of NFC is that they are, once again, relying on a gimmick to save the console. I mean, seriously, how many games can NFC utilisation shift?
    It's no bad thing no? it make sense to combine games with toys like cartoon, comics, books are combine with toys. It a sure fire way of making money. Nintendo have been doing percisley this for decades. Gaming shouldn't been limited to a console and a bog standard controller.

As for the second question. Don't know. Skylanders is huge. Disney Infinity i'm not sure on. That pokemon rumble stuff that came out last year on the wii u never really happened, i guess they may just have been feelers for what is too come this year. The nintendo characters certainly carry the weight to be as big as the skylanders model, so if they get their hooks into kids with this, potentially it could be quite big for nitendo.

PSN: Cloudsheaven
    NNID: Notnits_85
    www.joelstinton.wordpress.com

• nickthegun 8 May 2014 10:11:15 59,361 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My point is that they are relying on a gimmick to save the console, which A) I dont think is possible and B) quite sad.

Having to tout NFC features like they are some revelatory new function is just clutching at straws. If it was so great, why hasnt it been utilised before now?

He totally called it

• Great_Googly_Moogly 8 May 2014 10:16:07 680 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    So what are they to do? Nah can't try and save the console with that idea because it a gimmicky idea?

Well they have done it before now with pokemon rumble. It was clear they were going to do it when they showed the machine off. The controller it self comes with a NFC chip reader. Even Rayman Legends had a trailer which had NFC features (Which for some reason didn't happen).

I don't think Nintendo are acting as so it some revelatory new function either. It just make sense to do it.

I think my issue is that, gimmicky is the most wrongly and overused word on gaming forums. There nothing wrong with them.

PSN: Cloudsheaven
    NNID: Notnits_85
    www.joelstinton.wordpress.com

• nickthegun 8 May 2014 10:17:42 59,361 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They do what they have to. Im not saying its the wrong thing to do, its just a bit shit.

And it is a gimmick. There is a very narrow, niche of games that will end up using it, thus 'gimmick'.

He totally called it

• Phattso Moderator 8 May 2014 10:31:07 13,260 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    They do what they have to. Im not saying its the wrong thing to do, its just a bit shit.

And it is a gimmick. There is a very narrow, niche of games that will end up using it, thus 'gimmick'.
    Which is also true of Skylanders and Infinity, when you get right down to it.

I do wonder how much of this was not wanting to scare off Activision with their own NFC range? Now that it's clear 3rd parties don't give a jiggling fuck about the Wii U they can just move on in there.

There're enough 3DS units out there to make a decent wodge of cash, much less likely on the WiiU if course.

I don't get the impression that they're pinning all their hopes and dreams on this - so not sure why you feel it's a bit shit - surely it's just another prong in what's likely to be a summer of ineffectual moves into a variety of markets, with all this lifestyle shite on the horizon etc. etc..

It's not impossible that something will stick. As long as there's a stream of reasonable first party games to go along with it.

Basically I don't want to cough up for LBro's curry. :)
  • PazJohnMitch 8 May 2014 10:34:47 7,962 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nintendo Business: what is the best way of charging out customers to transfer saves between the 3DS and WiiU?

Nintendo Products: hide a USB stick in a plastic toy?

Nintendo Business: Genius!
  • nickthegun 8 May 2014 10:53:28 59,361 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    I don't get the impression that they're pinning all their hopes and dreams on this - so not sure why you feel it's a bit shit
    Its pretty front and center of their new strategy and seems to be being pushed heavily which, for a feature that is secondary at best and we havent heard squat about for 18 months, seems a bit lame.

He totally called it

• Armoured_Bear 8 May 2014 11:00:51 10,508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Phattso wrote:
    I don't get the impression that they're pinning all their hopes and dreams on this - so not sure why you feel it's a bit shit
    Its pretty front and center of their new strategy and seems to be being pushed heavily which, for a feature that is secondary at best and we havent heard squat about for 18 months, seems a bit lame.
    Is it?
    Seems one of several things they're trying.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• neilka 8 May 2014 11:03:32 15,825 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They're also trying a jumble sale and car wash afternoon.
  • nickthegun 8 May 2014 11:03:37 59,361 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dunno.. it seems to have undue prominence.

He totally called it

• midi82 8 May 2014 11:10:10 668 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There seems to be an awful lot of news coming out of Nintendo at the minute, or certainly more than over the last few months.

Presumably if they have revealed the platform now, there must be something for E3 that will show it off.
    The new startup stuff looks pretty good as well, it should have been in months ago though.
  • Armoured_Bear 8 May 2014 11:13:21 10,508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    midi82 wrote:
    There seems to be an awful lot of news coming out of Nintendo at the minute, or certainly more than over the last few months.

Presumably if they have revealed the platform now, there must be something for E3 that will show it off.
    The new startup stuff looks pretty good as well, it should have been in months ago though.
    I think they said that at E3 they will show a game that uses it.

• Phattso Moderator 8 May 2014 11:15:06 13,260 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just feels like a pre-E3 Nintendo Direct airing of stuff. Not sure why they're not keeping their powder dry, but there it is.

Doesn't seem to have undue prominence for me - no more than the rest of their batshit ideas that I don't care for at any rate.

"MarioKart iPhone companion app?!?! Be still me beating fucking heart."
  • nickthegun 8 May 2014 11:20:48 59,361 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You cant test the waters more tentatively than that.

He totally called it

• midi82 8 May 2014 11:20:58 668 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Stuff like the app is pretty cool. OK, it's nothing special but how many other games have something similar. It's not really necessary and probably won't get used much but at least they are trying to do something a bit different.
    Hopefully these little 'teasers' mean that there will actually be something worthwhile for E3.
  • Armoured_Bear 8 May 2014 11:26:54 10,508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It sounds like we'll have Bayonetta 2, X and Smash for the 2nd half of this year.
    I doubt we'll have any more than that for 2014, anything announced will be for next year IMO.

• Pinky_Floyd 8 May 2014 13:19:22 7,653 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Did you see how fast that booted? I didn't. It was too fast.
  • neilka 8 May 2014 13:20:58 15,825 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm glad that they've finally identified that it's the ten second startup times that are holding the Wii U back from mainstream popularity.
  • nickthegun 8 May 2014 13:23:25 59,361 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am genuinely mystified as to why bayonetta 2 is taking so long to come out.

He totally called it

• Pinky_Floyd 8 May 2014 14:50:49 7,653 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not enough magics. Gots to add more magics.
  • kinky_mong 8 May 2014 15:03:14 10,101 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hastily adding in a gay marriage option.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• LeoliansBro 8 May 2014 15:11:06 43,655 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Once they realised it couldn't make any money they 'restructured' the dev team so it's now two corpses and an anfony.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 8 May 2014 15:16:02 43,655 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And grats on recapturing the 'hardcore' market Nintendo, those overzealous srs bsns COD players will be punting their PS4s out the window and falling over themselves to get a 20 USB drive shaped like a fat cartoon plumber.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 8 May 2014 15:18:33 59,361 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Once they realised it couldn't make any money they 'restructured' the dev team so it's now two corpses and an anfony.
    Ive said this a few times but it, basically, looked ready for release at the last years expo and has had gameplay vids out for at least a year. All the dev work should have been finished long ago.

Edited by nickthegun at 15:18:51 08-05-2014

He totally called it

• JiveHound 8 May 2014 15:25:09 2,395 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    If X comes out this year I'll be surprised.

E3 predictions:

Bayonetta 2 release window.
    Hyrule Warriors info.
    Fire Emblem cross over footage.
    Mario 3d World DLC.
    Some new Yoshi footage.
    Some Smash Bros footage, final roster.
    This NFC character stuff will get a sizeable airing.
    X will get a tentative release window of spring 2015. (please understand.)
    First Zelda Wii U footage.
    Maybe a new Mario adventure teased.
    Some long dormant franchise resurrected.

Those last three are more hopes than predictions really.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• CosmicFuzz 8 May 2014 15:33:00 23,761 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What a depressing list of predictions.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• Pinky_Floyd 8 May 2014 15:36:51 7,653 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My prediction:

F-Zero GX HD Edition featuring real lava
    Wave Race U starring Peach in a bikini
    1080 Snowboarding U featuring real snow
    Starfox U featuring real foxes
  • spazmo 8 May 2014 15:39:29 2,757 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What a depressing list of predictions.