Wii U Page 1216

• Page

of 1363 First / Last

• atomicjuicer 27 Apr 2014 09:49:54 305 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yep, offscreen play is a great feature. I hate all these reviewers screaming that the gamepad adds nothing and conveniently leaving out the best feature that every game supports.

Offscreen play is reason enough to keep gamepad forever (even if they reshape the controller a little).

Kinect on the other hand is a complete abomination.
  • Phattso Moderator 27 Apr 2014 09:52:11 13,336 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not all games support offscreen play.
  • PazJohnMitch 27 Apr 2014 10:20:45 8,066 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If all you care about is off screen play can I recommend the Vita.
  • Phattso Moderator 27 Apr 2014 10:24:08 13,336 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    True story: I told my PS4 owning friend about the Vita remote play, and he asked if I'd lend him my Vita so he could try it out.

Turns out you have to factory reset the Vita in order for someone else to use it with their PS4 for RP. Won't just let them log in their account.

So now I have to restore from a backup when I get the fucking thing back. That's actually Nintendo levels of bumusingly fucking stupid.
  • PazJohnMitch 27 Apr 2014 10:27:43 8,066 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    With remote play it syncs the profiles. So PS4 and Vita need to be running the same PSN ID. (Probably would have been better to add your PSN ID to his PS4 instead of wiping your Vita).
  • Phattso Moderator 27 Apr 2014 10:30:13 13,336 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's no reason I'll accept for why he shouldn't be able to just log in to the Vita. I wasn't there, so don't particularly like the idea of having my ID on someone else's console anyways.

Only takes 20 minutes to restore from backup, but it's 20 minutes of faff that shouldn't be necessary
  • Ror1984 27 Apr 2014 12:48:13 3,374 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've found remote play on Vita/PS4 to be noticeably less-stable than Wii U's off-screen play under the same circumstances. That's with the Vita directly connected to the PS4, I haven't tried it over the network yet, so I'll have to give that a go.

The main thing though, is that the GamePad has all the necessary buttons. I love my Vita, but the rear touchpad just isn't a replacement for physical controls IMO.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Luckyjim 27 Apr 2014 13:02:20 2,873 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've actually found it to be more stable over an internet network. I can also remote play in bed with the Vita. Could never do that with the Wii U. Although, off-screen play on the Wii U, when in range, is flawless. Agree with a lot of posters here, it's a terrific feature of the gamepad.
  • Ror1984 27 Apr 2014 13:29:35 3,374 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'll have to try that out next time I use remote play. I find that if I connect the Vita while I'm in the same room as the PS4 and then move to another room, it's more stable than if I try to start remote play from the other room. If I do that, I get constant disconnects.

• superbob85 27 Apr 2014 13:42:40 2,062 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Looking into getting a Wii U How far away can the Wii U gamepad be used in range.
  • Ror1984 27 Apr 2014 14:07:00 3,374 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It doesn't have massive range, but I have my Wii U in my room and I often play it in the living room, which is directly below. Adjacent rooms should be fine.

• Sharzam 27 Apr 2014 14:26:08 2,880 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It seams to be massively effected by wall construction also. Of course thats obvious, but more so than other streaming tech. My Vita/PS3 can stream to my bedroom but the Wii U cannot for example.

Its difficult to give a number on distance but its probably the shortest range device i have at home. Doesn't help it doesn't have an option to go via the router as i have quite a good one which would extend the useful range. So basically its only really of use if your streaming in the same room or immediate adjacent, but for me i have no reason to do that.

Edited by Sharzam at 14:26:52 27-04-2014

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• superbob85 27 Apr 2014 15:14:04 2,062 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Thats fair enough it's not like I live in a mansion.
  • Erek 27 Apr 2014 20:23:05 227 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Off TV Advance wars is a match made in heaven.
  • Donk8077 27 Apr 2014 22:16:43 80 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Can't wait to pick mine up next week, the missus wants wii fit u and wii party, I'm gonna get mario 3d and zelda I think and I'll probably get advance wars and maybe a few others.
  • figaro7 27 Apr 2014 22:43:28 1,363 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Im not sure its effected by walls too much, my living room backs on to my garage and every time i jump on the exercie bike in the garage it works just fine, having said that its literally 3-4 metres away from the wii u. I think the 8 metres odd is about right for length though.

Is it worth picking up marvel lego super heroes? Loved lego city undercover and wouldnt mind dabbling in another open world lego game?
  • TheRealBadabing 27 Apr 2014 23:24:27 1,314 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Donk8077 Party is pretty poor but it's a good way to get an extra remote. Nintendoland is great and very cheap, she may find that better than Party.
  • Donk8077 28 Apr 2014 06:20:41 80 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @TheRealBadabing that was my reasoning for getting it to be honest but it looks a lot like mario party and to honest me and the missus enjoyed that on the wii.
  • aros 28 Apr 2014 10:47:54 2,866 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    True story: I told my PS4 owning friend about the Vita remote play, and he asked if I'd lend him my Vita so he could try it out.

Turns out you have to factory reset the Vita in order for someone else to use it with their PS4 for RP. Won't just let them log in their account.

So now I have to restore from a backup when I get the fucking thing back. That's actually Nintendo levels of bumusingly fucking stupid.
    Didn't you have a spare memory card to send with it to him?
  • aros 28 Apr 2014 10:50:29 2,866 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    figaro7 wrote:
    Im not sure its effected by walls too much, my living room backs on to my garage and every time i jump on the exercie bike in the garage it works just fine, having said that its literally 3-4 metres away from the wii u. I think the 8 metres odd is about right for length though.

Is it worth picking up marvel lego super heroes? Loved lego city undercover and wouldnt mind dabbling in another open world lego game?
    It's great on ps4 and absolutely fantastic via RP so I don't see any reason the Wii U version won't be well worth a purchase too.
  • aros 28 Apr 2014 10:52:04 2,866 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BonzoBanana wrote:
    Mariokart 8 may not be utilising the gamepad so much due to a revised gamepad having a much smaller screen. Nintendo realise the gamepad innovation has not really done any good but they can't abandon it due to compatibility so I think the next wii u revision will have a much smaller gamepad screen possibly down to DS touchscreen size and a much better shape for gaming.
    I think 6 or 7 inches would be ideal, ensuring the controller is comfortable to use is priority #1 though as the current model is just terrible.
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Apr 2014 10:53:29 11,272 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    aros wrote:
    BonzoBanana wrote:
    Mariokart 8 may not be utilising the gamepad so much due to a revised gamepad having a much smaller screen. Nintendo realise the gamepad innovation has not really done any good but they can't abandon it due to compatibility so I think the next wii u revision will have a much smaller gamepad screen possibly down to DS touchscreen size and a much better shape for gaming.
    I think 6 or 7 inches would be ideal, ensuring the controller is comfortable to use is priority #1 though as the current model is just terrible.
    What do you think is terrible?
    Most seem to find it comfortable...

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• aros 28 Apr 2014 10:53:31 2,866 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Recon64 wrote:
    How are the graphics anyway? I heard 1080p games :o not that it matters much in deciding.
    Aliasing is really, really bad but otherwise pretty nice. If you are used to smooth looking games you will be disappointed. Mario in HD is fairly awesome but simple.
  • aros 28 Apr 2014 10:57:24 2,866 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    aros wrote:
    BonzoBanana wrote:
    It's just so uncomfortable to use, hand pain, poor button placement. It doesn't seem to have been designed ergonomically at all - just the tiny little bits sticking out the back as a nod to controller design that actually make it more unpleasant to use due to poor placement and size. I think it's the next logical step from horizontal Wii remote but that was a more uncomortable way to play than Master System.

Is it better with small hands? It feels like the buttons should be near the bottom with proper grips and triggers, everything else would have been able to stay the same but it would have been comfortable to use.

Going from the wonderful GC controller to this is a huge leap backwards.

At the moment it's just another feather in a very feathery cap of why even lifelong Nintendo fans have not gone for this system.

Edited by aros at 10:58:21 28-04-2014
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Apr 2014 10:58:55 11,272 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    aros wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    aros wrote:
    BonzoBanana wrote:
    It's just so uncomfortable to use, hand pain, poor button placement. It doesn't seem to have been designed ergonomically at all - just the tiny little bits sticking out the back as a nod to controller design that actually make it more unpleasant to use due to poor placement and size. I think it's the next logical step from horizontal Wii remote but that was a more uncomortable way to play than Master System.

Is it better with small hands? It feels like the buttons should be near the bottom with proper grips and triggers, everything else would have been able to stay the same but it would have been comfortable to use.

Going from the wonderful GC controller to this is a huge leap backwards.
    TBF everything is a leap backwards in terms of comfort from the GC controller.

• aros 28 Apr 2014 11:02:32 2,866 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    True, although personally I absolutely loved the Nunchuck and Remote combo. So, so comfortable.
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Apr 2014 11:03:55 11,272 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    aros wrote:
    True, although personally I absolutely loved the Nunchuck and Remote combo. So, so comfortable.
    Very comfortable until you wanted to press a button that wasn't A,C,c or Z..

• mikew1985 28 Apr 2014 11:19:12 12,753 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also awful for playing decent games.
  • Murbal 29 Apr 2014 08:15:40 22,223 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So for me, I bought ZombiU from Game Collection and using my reward credit there it cost me 3.45. Bargain!

For the family, I've bought Nintendoland and WiiU Party from CompetitiveDad. Clearly he's he's not so competitive that he wants to play party games with the kids ;-)
  • Raiko101 29 Apr 2014 09:41:12 6,314 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ha. Well you'll have great fun with Nintendo Land. It bridges the gap between casual and gamer quite nicely. Some of the co-op stuff becomes quite tough towards the end. Wii U Party is a lot more casual though, and lacks any real depth. Good if you're looking for something to play and not wanting to put a lot of effort into.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Page

of 1363 First / Last