Wii U Page 1187

• Page

of 1357 First / Last

• Deleted user 27 February 2014 09:17:18
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Sadly I think it's too late for Nintendo to be a main player again in terms of home consoles. The situation with 3rd parties is too far gone and they show no signs of being ambitious enough to aggressively pursue significant exclusive development.
    Given that there are only three major players in home consoles to begin with (Nintendo, Sony and the makers of the abomination), there's still a chance for Nintendo to re-emerge as #1. Sony's financial situation is not very good, whilst Mr. Satya Nadella seems far more interested in cloud-computing than video-gaming....

Of course, the prospect of one or more new entrants (Apple? Samsung? Some Chinese company?) could change the situation entirely...
  • nickthegun 27 Feb 2014 09:20:44 59,429 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think there is more chance of the console market folding entirely than nintendo coming back as number one.

People just arent buying what they are selling and its statistically unlikely they will ever be able to create a fad like the wii again.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• macmurphy 27 Feb 2014 09:36:39 999 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sharzam wrote:
    These people have to much time on their hands. Let's talk about games yay.
    It's a forum on a games site. I think talking about games is fairly standard.
  • CosmicFuzz 27 Feb 2014 09:39:40 23,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They need to move into the sex industry I think. Giant, Mario-branded vibrators and gag balls with Kirby printed on the front.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• Youthist 27 Feb 2014 09:40:24 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sharzam wrote:
    These people have to much time on their hands. Let's talk about games yay.
    Yet taking the time to whine about how you are not happy with others doing it is a far better use of your precious oxygen, yes?

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• mrpon 27 Feb 2014 09:55:12 28,749 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    They need to move into the sex industry I think. Giant, Mario-branded vibrators and gag balls with Kirby printed on the front.
    Bullet Bill Butt Plug coming atcha!!

Give yourself £5 or Ĺ gig, you're worth it.

• Gambit1977 27 Feb 2014 09:55:49 9,583 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @nickthegun totally agree. Mobiles and tablets take a big chunk of the handheld games market, and Nintendo just seem to want to create another wii
  • midi82 27 Feb 2014 10:03:29 670 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    who wouldn't want to create another wii?
  • nickthegun 27 Feb 2014 10:04:05 59,429 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wanting to and being able to are to completely different things.

He totally called it

• CosmicFuzz 27 Feb 2014 10:09:54 23,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Bullet Bill Butt Plug coming atcha!!

See, now we're talking!

Link's Pork Master Sword strap-on
    Samus Gag-morphballs
    Rob the Robot cock ring

etc etc

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• CosmicFuzz 27 Feb 2014 10:13:10 23,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    midi82 wrote:
    who wouldn't want to create another wii?
    The Wii was helped by a massive dose of luck and good timing. They completely and utterly dominated the untapped market of parents, women, etc, who went on to either get bored of it or not see any reason to upgrade.

They'll never tap into that market again.

• Kami 27 Feb 2014 10:14:14 2,429 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz; Deku gimp mask?

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• kinky_mong 27 Feb 2014 10:16:42 10,133 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Chomp-chomp nipple clamps.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• midi82 27 Feb 2014 10:21:33 670 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No, but from a business perspective, it would be pretty irresponsible to not at least try with the Wii U. They created a huge market, that is covered by other products, they had to try and go after it again.
    Imagine going to investors and saying 'you know we made billions of the wii, now we want to ignore everything we did'.

The Wii U has conclusively proved that the market has either moved on, or just doesn't see value in what Nintendo are doing now. Now for their next console they have no excuse not to go for something with a ton of power, they can surely include all the good bits from Wii and Wii U, without it costing too much.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Feb 2014 10:22:50 10,570 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    midi82 wrote:
    No, but from a business perspective, it would be pretty irresponsible to not at least try with the Wii U. They created a huge market, that is covered by other products, they had to try and go after it again.
    Imagine going to investors and saying 'you know we made billions of the wii, now we want to ignore everything we did'.

The Wii U has conclusively proved that the market has either moved on, or just doesn't see value in what Nintendo are doing now. Now for their next console they have no excuse not to go for something with a ton of power, they can surely include all the good bits from Wii and Wii U, without it costing too much.
    Nah, Sony and MS make powerful consoles and they canít do what they do so thatís a non-starter.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• CosmicFuzz 27 Feb 2014 10:24:41 23,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    midi82 wrote:

No, the WiiU has conclusively proved that Nintendo don't have a clue what people want, and completely rested on their laurels instead of capitalising on the momentum they had from the Wii.

• Deleted user 27 February 2014 10:37:50
    midi82 wrote:

To be honest i don't think 'MORE POWER' is the way to go. Personally i think AAA gaming as it's own set of issues at the moment and Nintendo will see that way of making games too risky.

Game development is more than ever, a investment business. Costs of developing, marketing, sales targets are so high now that any failures, and there are a lot of them are seriously felt by the publisher or the developer. Nintendo would seriously have to expand there workforce, and theres no real indication that people would buy a powerful nintendo console.

Theres probably not even a gaurantee that EA etc would develop third party games for it. They probably come up with the same contradictary mixed messages/excuses again for why they won't release games on it.

Edited by joelstinton at 10:40:44 27-02-2014
  • nickthegun 27 Feb 2014 10:40:16 59,429 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    To be honest i don't think 'MORE POWER' is the way to go.
    To be honest, power really makes no difference when you dont have the games to support it.

MORE GAMES rather than MORE POWER.

He totally called it

• aros 27 Feb 2014 10:42:29 2,743 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Interesting discussion guys :D
  • midi82 27 Feb 2014 10:50:37 670 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There is definitely diminishing returns on power - I mean how much better can it get really. I think though, that Nintendo's next platform needs to be able to run 3rd party games with some sort of parity.

On top of that they need to be getting more exclusives on the system. They need some sort of franchise for teenagers, they have tons of kid friendly titles, plenty of stuff that appeals to older gamers, but not really anything that appeals outside of those age ranges.
  • nickthegun 27 Feb 2014 10:53:08 59,429 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the third party ship has sailed. The only way they will come back is if nintendo prove themselves to be capable of supporting a platform entirely by itself and making a success of it.

And to do that, you need to releasing more than one game every two months.

He totally called it

• AceGrace 27 Feb 2014 10:58:16 1,089 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    gooner77 wrote:
    Anyone know what the latest WiiU update has done ?
    Given Ecosse his first erection in 15 years.
    Come on now. It's me that loves updates.

MMMmmmmmm!
  • midi82 27 Feb 2014 10:59:54 670 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Certainly for now, they need to be courting studios and getting exclusives. They have done that with Platinum which is great, but it's not really mass market. The Lego City deal was a good one, it's a shame (from Nintendo's point of view) that they couldn't have got some exclusivity on the other Lego games.

They will only get third parties back by guaranteeing a return on investment, that basically means get enough consoles out there that they can sell enough copies, or get their hands in their pockets and finance the games.

If 3rd parties can see other games selling well and making profits then they would be back in a heartbeat, it's just almost impossible to see this happening with Wii U.
  • midi82 27 Feb 2014 11:46:53 670 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mario Kart 8 wheel
    better save your pennies, it looks like all of Nintendo's worries are over.
  • ResidentKnievel 27 Feb 2014 12:01:02 6,181 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They're shutting down the Mario Kart Wii servers :(

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• kinky_mong 27 Feb 2014 12:01:20 10,133 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Surprised they're not releasing a wheel shell for the Wii U pad as well.

Needless to say I will be sticking to using the analogue sticks. I hope all the tracks won't be stupidly wide again like MK Wii to support how poor motion control steering is.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• nickthegun 27 Feb 2014 12:01:59 59,429 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Please understand, buy Mario Kart 8.

He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 27 Feb 2014 12:07:41 43,796 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quantum leap pver the MK Wii wheel, itself a quantum leap over the Wiimote, itself a quantum leap over the controller style everyone is currently using, including Nintendo.

That's an accessory that works with a controller you don't get with the WiiU. Nintendo are really making huge strides towards separating the Wii and the WiiU in the eyes of the public.

Especially when the wheel adds nothing to the game and forces you to try to race using a borderline uncontrollable input system.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 12:08:01 27-02-2014

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• midi82 27 Feb 2014 12:12:49 670 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wonder how the motion plus will affect steering, presumably they will have redone the handling model to use it.
    Will it make it any more enjoyable to use, I can't imagine it will be getting much use.
  • CosmicFuzz 27 Feb 2014 12:15:02 23,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Nintendo are really making huge strides towards separating the Wii and the WiiU in the eyes of the public.

That was my first thought as well.

• Page

of 1357 First / Last