Wii U Page 1166

• Page

of 1212 First / Last

• sega 12 Feb 2014 09:42:24 561 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think Nintendo should re-release the Wii and continue making games for that. Practically everyone I know, gamers and non-gamers alike, have one under their TV and there's 100 million out there. A new Wii Mario Kart, port games like Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, more VC retro goodness etc. Support for the PS2 has only just stopped, there's a market out there for such popular consoles and are affordable alternatives for younger gamers.
  • LeoliansBro 12 Feb 2014 09:49:27 41,870 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone have any figures on the attach rate for the Wii? I read an article on Digg this morning which states that Nintendo, as a games developer, should not view the Wii as a success given the large number of people who only bought it for a couple of games at most. That feels anecdotally on the money, but I'd like to see the actual figures.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Armoured_Bear 12 Feb 2014 09:55:53 8,751 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Does anyone have any figures on the attach rate for the Wii? I read an article on Digg this morning which states that Nintendo, as a games developer, should not view the Wii as a success given the large number of people who only bought it for a couple of games at most. That feels anecdotally on the money, but I'd like to see the actual figures.
    It's bollocks, it had an attach rate of just under 9 IIRC.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• LeoliansBro 12 Feb 2014 10:00:05 41,870 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Never mind, found it. Not half so low as the article insinuated.

WTF with the PS3 though, were people really just buying them as Bluray players?

• Pinky_Floyd 12 Feb 2014 10:00:43 6,429 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Do those wii points cards in GAME work on the wii u e shop?  Confusing not being labelled Wii U.

Was chatting to a guy who is reviewing DK and he says its excellent.  Better than DKCR and he says the Wii U really allows DK and Retro's backgrounds to shine and gives the game a great solidity.  Says its harder but more forgiving than DKCR (eh?  Checkpoints maybe) but has a few frustrating sections.  I asked him when the reviews go live but havent heard back yet.
  • nickthegun 12 Feb 2014 10:02:44 55,902 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Does anyone have any figures on the attach rate for the Wii?
    Apparently its 8.9 (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html).

Which means half a dozen people bought every game available for it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• midi82 12 Feb 2014 10:05:46 578 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maybe they are doing the ebay seller method and counting Wii sports as 5 games.
  • CharlieStCloud 12 Feb 2014 10:07:09 4,695 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm going to give Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze a miss for two reasons:

a) I no longer enjoy the stop/start nature of dying over and over before you finally get pass a certain point.
    b) I am all platform'ed out ... played Trine 2, Super Mario Bros. U, Rayman Legends and Super Mario 3D World in a space of six months.

I would very gladly buy the soundtrack though!
  • Pinky_Floyd 12 Feb 2014 10:13:47 6,429 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud bet that you end up buying it anyway ;)
  • LeoliansBro 12 Feb 2014 10:33:58 41,870 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Apparently its 8.9 (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html).

892 MILLION units of software sold for the Wii?

Shows what you can shift with the right pricing, I guess. And we can knock off 100 million of those for Wii Sports straight away.

Attach rate for the 3DS is horrible.

• LeoliansBro 12 Feb 2014 10:42:03 41,870 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    More than 43 million copies of Wii Fit sold O_O

No wonder Nintendo want to move towards health and fitness and away from being solely a games company.

• nickthegun 12 Feb 2014 10:50:43 55,902 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I read somewhere (cant remember where, so no source) that the 360s was more or less 12.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 12 Feb 2014 10:54:49 41,870 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The link I posted above has 7.5 against the WiiU's 6.07. I don't think there's any arguing that the attach rate was best on the 360 out of the last gen of consoles, but there's an awful lot of other factors that need to be included. For instance, where does XBLA factor in? Download games? The Wii's generally cheaper games library? etc

• mikew1985 12 Feb 2014 10:56:59 12,091 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And yet there are already more good games for the 3DS than there ever were for the Wii.

Injustice.
  • Pinky_Floyd 12 Feb 2014 10:57:49 6,429 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wonderful 101 is 21.99 at argos I believe. 
  • mikew1985 12 Feb 2014 10:58:29 12,091 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also regarding the fitness thing, they're a step behind on even that idea.

By all accounts iOS and Android are looking at building fitness and health tracking into the heart of their mobile OS so Nintendo will stand very little to no chance in that market.
  • imamazed 12 Feb 2014 11:00:33 5,455 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    And yet there are already more good games for the 3DS than there ever were for the Wii.

Injustice.
    Actually Injustice is on the Wii U I believe.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Feb 2014 11:01:16 8,751 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

892 MILLION units of software sold for the Wii?

Shows what you can shift with the right pricing, I guess. And we can knock off 100 million of those for Wii Sports straight away.

Attach rate for the 3DS is horrible.
    Wii Sports wasn't included with the console everywhere.

• LeoliansBro 12 Feb 2014 11:01:55 41,870 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I know, that's why their description of the electronic fitness market as some kind of untapped 'blue ocean' sounds so jarring. Their new strategic focus is into a market which is a) highly competitive, b) dominated by existing highly visible brands, c) has large barriers to entry including significant upfront costs, and d) is on very little evidence that Nintendo are well placed to succeed (basically Wii Fit and Brain Training).

As an aside, one thing I noticed looking into these software sales is that the GTA series has now outsold the MarioKart series.

• midi82 12 Feb 2014 11:02:17 578 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't think they are a step behind, I think they were a step ahead with the balance board. I just think that a mobile phone is a much better platform, if they could license out wii fit and let Google and Apple or third parties create apps that can monitor more data and then sync with Wii Fit then they could be onto a winner.
  • LeoliansBro 12 Feb 2014 11:04:48 41,870 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They have no pedigree. Nintendo breaking into the fitness market is approximate to Microsoft breaking into the console market a decade ago.

• Raiko101 12 Feb 2014 11:20:44 5,547 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Do these attachment rates not include digital downloads then? Or the pre-owned market of games no longer attached to a console?

I'm surprised the 3DS attachment rate isn't higher. Especially considering the number of million sellers. That and I know a number of nutjobs, like myself, that have tons of 3DS games.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Armoured_Bear 12 Feb 2014 11:24:55 8,751 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Do these attachment rates not include digital downloads then? Or the pre-owned market of games no longer attached to a console?

I'm surprised the 3DS attachment rate isn't higher. Especially considering the number of million sellers. That and I know a number of nutjobs, like myself, that have tons of 3DS games.
    I suppose that for quite a few kids the 3DS is just a Pokemon machine...

• LeoliansBro 12 Feb 2014 11:25:33 41,870 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pre=owned market doesn't make any difference, as every game had to be bought new at one point, and every time it is sold on the +1 attach rate is countered by a -1 attach rate from the seller.

Short answer on the rest: dunno.

• mikew1985 12 Feb 2014 11:27:38 12,091 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I too have a load of 3DS games. Nearly all digital.
  • Raiko101 12 Feb 2014 13:19:47 5,547 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I guess it's safe to say that more casual users are going to bring down a consoles attachment rate, quite dramatically. I wonder if there's a way of measuring such an impact.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• msm2000 12 Feb 2014 20:58:36 105 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    First Nintendo Direct of 2014 is being broadcast live tomorrow night at 10PM. Should be an interesting one.
  • Deleted user 13 February 2014 07:09:28
    sega wrote:
    I think Nintendo should re-release the Wii and continue making games for that. Practically everyone I know, gamers and non-gamers alike, have one under their TV and there's 100 million out there. A new Wii Mario Kart, port games like Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, more VC retro goodness etc. Support for the PS2 has only just stopped, there's a market out there for such popular consoles and are affordable alternatives for younger gamers.
    Even if they don't bother making new games for the system, they could at least bring out of Japan games such as

Earth Seeker ,
    Takt of Magic and
    Rodea (which is still looking for a publisher).

Alternatively, they could upgrade those games graphically and bring them out on the Wii U.

Edited by EndlessSolitude at 07:11:00 13-02-2014

Edited by EndlessSolitude at 07:12:09 13-02-2014
  • zoolophage 13 Feb 2014 07:54:46 969 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wonder if we'll get release dates in today's ND? I suspect we may get info on forthcoming indie games and the 3ds games that we know are coming soonish anyway. Also bound to be at least 5 minutes coverage of DK. I hope to hear some earth shattering news of a new IP (or a new Metroid???). I'll be disappointed if they announce more HD remakes, unless it's FX Zero.

There's always a chance of them doing one of those 'you can download it right after this presentation' eshop releases. I like it when they do that but would also like if they gave us more regular info so as to generate more buzz (if such a thing can be achieved for a Wii U game).

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• sega 13 Feb 2014 08:19:13 561 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    EndlessSolitude wrote:

Even if they don't bother making new games for the system, they could at least bring out of Japan games such as

Earth Seeker ,
    Takt of Magic and
    Rodea (which is still looking for a publisher).

Alternatively, they could upgrade those games graphically and bring them out on the Wii U.
    Yes and there were even games released here that US gamers have been asking for (also US Gamestop was recently selling new US versions of Xenoblade at a high price). I don't think porting them to the Wii U would do much though - I bet even an exclusive GTA 6 release wouldn't do much for it now.

Nintendo pretty much dropped support for the Wii at the Wii U announcement - one of the stupidest things they've done.
  • Page

of 1212 First / Last