Wii U Page 1164

• Page

of 1212 First / Last

• figaro7 10 Feb 2014 20:53:52 1,342 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ^ Only one guy out of the 40 plus comments on the nintendolife website said that, the rest said otherwise. No doubt the game is close to being or is cancelled by now, all these delays may mean the final product might not be its all cranked up to be either.
  • Raiko101 10 Feb 2014 21:02:11 5,536 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I kinda wish they'd either support the console or drop it. A lot of their efforts have been half-assed and will have had an impact on sales. Why buy on Wii U if its not at least on par with the other versions? AC3 and blacklist suffer poor online implementation. AC4 has frame rate issues in large towns and ZombiU, as fun as I found it, is an incomplete game.

The only time they've nailed it was with Rayman Legends, which is probably the definitive version. Who's going to buy Watch Dogs after its release on other console and with likely issues?

I hope the delay suggests they're going to polish it up a little, but I some how doubt that.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• DFawkes 10 Feb 2014 21:21:40 22,059 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    I'm calling it.

... Watch_Dogs will be cancelled on the Wii U.

I shall call the opposite, that it won't be cancelled. However, I think they'll cobble the rest together and push it out as soon as it works.

There's still little evidence it'll be outright cancelled. Gamespot took it down for a short while and put it back up. Then it was forgotten on a list of Nintendo games that didn't even cover the time period it's going to come out, then remembered on a list of games Ubisoft said they were developing. Then Ubisoft refused to comment, which meant doom because they always comment on rumour and speculation ;)

Don't get me wrong, there's still a chance it'll be cancelled if the delay is caused by some major technical trouble they're having. If they do, they'll try and do it quickly and quietly.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Cappy 10 Feb 2014 21:57:17 11,704 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sales of Ubisoft's Wii U titles have been for the most part absolutely appalling though haven't they? So bad that cancelling could be saving them money even with development costs getting written off.

On the other hand Ubisoft were one of the few third party publishers to stick with the Gamecube through dreadful sales. It's pretty telling that I got twenty Pounds for Beyond Good and Evil when I sold it a few years ago and you might not even get two Pounds for the PS2 version.

That was a profit in fact since I only paid fifteen Pounds a week after it released, third party Gamecube titles were crashing left right and centre and prices were getting slashed like crazy, I don't think they had any choice they'd put all the money in already and the only chance of getting anything back after manufacture were price cuts within weeks of release. I remember Twin Snakes dropping to fifteen in no time at all also.

When Burnout 3 skipped the Gamecube entirely is when I knew it was over, but Ubisoft kept going.
  • DFawkes 10 Feb 2014 22:07:01 22,059 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh yeah, can't deny it'll not make a penny. I just have no idea what they'd have to do to cancel it. They had a separate developer do the Wii U version (Ubisoft Romania I think, but I;m not confident on that), so I've no idea how expensive it'd be to cut their losses. There's even a chance it'd end up costing more money, and certainly negative PR.

It's mostly the PR angle that makes me think it won't be cancelled to be honest. When the Rayman thing happened, they reacted fairly quickly with that App thing. If (well, when really) they give up on Wii U, they'll do it by not developing anything else, not cancelling announced stuff.

• Cappy 10 Feb 2014 22:16:54 11,704 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When the discs and packaging are manufactured is the point of no return, at any point before then they can cancel without further losses. The developers are probably working under a contract so Ubisoft won't save any money by backing out early.

I suppose they're watching Wii U sales figures very closely.
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Feb 2014 22:46:54 8,748 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It'll be a shit port and sell sod all justifying the lack of effort in the port and on it goes.
    Wii all over again.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Bremenacht 10 Feb 2014 23:12:09 15,753 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nintendo should tell Ubisoft "Please understand" and chuck them a couple of million $. Do they think the alternative of letting it get canned is preferable? Actually, yes - they probably do. Assuming they've even heard of it.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Ryze 10 Feb 2014 23:28:20 3,107 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TBH, unless they're somehow struggling to get it finished on time and running well ala GTA IV on the PS3, I reckon the worst that would happen is a download only release / limited edition only physical release.

This would be a good idea really - because the collectors would come out in force to grab limited runs of classy games.

If Watch_dogs Wii U was download only, apart from the 80 limited edition disc (real limited edition, as in 10-100000 copies tops), then the disc would become ridiculously costly on eBay within a few years.

That would actually be a good strategy if they plan their distribution properly. Might create retailer demand for key games, and save on distro costs.

I do wonder with the Wii U, how developers find the lack of an HDD. Do any disc-based games demand several GBs of storage for a mandatory install? Lego had long load times, that I'd assume wouldn't be so bad if it could cache a certain amount of data on the console instead of everything loading from the optical drive.

Did we find out what speed it is in comparison to Blu-ray drive speeds? I think that PS3 is 2x BD, and PS4/XO is 6x, but I've not double checked any time recently.

As those 3 platforms use an HDD, and recent AAA Xbox games have begun demanding an HDD, I wonder how well they're coping in bringing Watch_dogs to the Wii U. I'm really curious, TBH, as the Wii U doesn't have GTA V or Battlefield, which both demand HDDs and have large maps to stream in textures for.

Hmmm...

Edited by Ryze at 23:34:50 10-02-2014
  • DFawkes 11 Feb 2014 00:01:43 22,059 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Download only is an intriguing option I hadn't considered. We've seen some games go for that option already, plus it'd give Ubisoft full control over pricing. Not good for us, obviously, but I'd think it'd make it a more attractive option for them.

• Kami 11 Feb 2014 00:24:33 2,370 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DFawkes; UbiSoft has also spent a lot of the past couple weeks denying the Wii U version is cancelled; from retailers to the press and that whole trademark cancellation. To turn around and do this is already a bit of a dickmove; to cancel it would just make them look like liars, and that's not good.

Still, I'm worried about WatchDogs. They have been quiet, and rumours have been abound about certain apps and features not being quite as "free" as they should be. The myriad of screenshot qualities that have done the rounds doesn't help either - one moment the press gets shiny shiny, the next UbiSoft are showing some pretty damned low-res stuff to boot.

I won't say it smells like an Aliens: Colonial Marines situation - that would be too extreme. But I have my doubts this will be the series people are dreaming of; and in spite of the tens of millions the Wii U version has already had and the massive over-budgetary spend of the project as a whole, I'm wondering why they're not a little more... excited by it.

Either way, UbiSoft got some credit from me last week coming out denying the cancellation of the Wii U version. Now I wonder why they even bothered.

Seems UbiSoft haven't a clue right now. Which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence for WatchDogs...

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• Sid-Nice 11 Feb 2014 00:28:41 15,810 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well the release date/s of Watch_Dogs coincide will the rumoured Mario Kart 8 (May/June) release date. It's just an opinion; but releasing the game after a potential sales boost could possibly help sales. Releasing the game during Mario Kart 8 launch week; would hinder sales.

Having said that; my purchase of Watch_Dogs (review scores pending) would probably be on the PC or PS4.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Kami 11 Feb 2014 00:39:22 2,370 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Sid-Nice; That's true as well; although one could argue as well that with a potential spike in Wii U sales on the cards, that's the best time to release a new game on the Wii U. Be there and ride the wave, as it were. It depends on if you're a glass half full or half empty kind of person. It's a Nintendo console; you'll ALWAYS be up against Nintendo games, that's never going to go away no matter when you release the game!

Either way, we still have no solid details and no solid dates either. Even now, so much of the game content itself is conjecture and speculation and we're not that far from release really.

UbiSoft and Nintendo at least share one thing in common; neither seems to be terribly good at communication right now...

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• aros 11 Feb 2014 09:38:10 2,053 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Sales of Ubisoft's Wii U titles have been for the most part absolutely appalling though haven't they? So bad that cancelling could be saving them money even with development costs getting written off.

On the other hand Ubisoft were one of the few third party publishers to stick with the Gamecube through dreadful sales. It's pretty telling that I got twenty Pounds for Beyond Good and Evil when I sold it a few years ago and you might not even get two Pounds for the PS2 version.

That was a profit in fact since I only paid fifteen Pounds a week after it released, third party Gamecube titles were crashing left right and centre and prices were getting slashed like crazy, I don't think they had any choice they'd put all the money in already and the only chance of getting anything back after manufacture were price cuts within weeks of release. I remember Twin Snakes dropping to fifteen in no time at all also.

When Burnout 3 skipped the Gamecube entirely is when I knew it was over, but Ubisoft kept going.
    I loved the Gamecube. I would really like to build a collection again but the prices are insane these days. When the games are the cost of a new Vita title, there's only one winner.
  • LeoliansBro 11 Feb 2014 09:45:04 41,864 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the whole Watch Dogs project has been blindsided by the scope and quality of GTA V, and Ubisoft have had to scramble to keep in touch. The WiiU version, as unavoidably unprofitable, will doubtless be at the bottom of the pile.

What we'll see on the WiiU will be a second string, feature lacking, unoptimised beta version of the game coming out significantly later than the other versions. But I think we'll still see it.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• aros 11 Feb 2014 09:51:26 2,053 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    It'll be a shit port and sell sod all justifying the lack of effort in the port and on it goes.
    Wii all over again.
    And Vita sadly, going by the newest lego game being yet again an iPad port.
  • aros 11 Feb 2014 09:57:17 2,053 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kami wrote:
    @DFawkes; UbiSoft has also spent a lot of the past couple weeks denying the Wii U version is cancelled; from retailers to the press and that whole trademark cancellation. To turn around and do this is already a bit of a dickmove; to cancel it would just make them look like liars, and that's not good.
    It's not good if they care about the Wii U market or see it as significant to future game sales. I really doubt there are enough Wii U owners who would not buy Ubisoft titles because of cancellation to matter to them. Even in terms of PR it's only Nintendo sites where it would be negative for them, every mainstream/cross-platform site it would be hugely negative for Nintendo not Ubisoft.

Kami wrote:
    UbiSoft and Nintendo at least share one thing in common; neither seems to be terribly good at communication right now...
    I think developers are having much more trouble with next-gen than they imagined - I think they are really struggling to get Xbone versions running anything like par with PS4. If the Xbone version is running at 5fps then it makes sense to take teams away from versions that won't sell to try and boost it as it will sell a lot if it runs well on the Xbone.

Edited by aros at 10:01:38 11-02-2014
  • Cappy 11 Feb 2014 10:30:49 11,704 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be fair, if Watch_Dogs is technically rough on the Wii U, that's not really an indicator of the platform being treated poorly, that's just Ubisoft.

Some of their PS3 releases were such chugging, painful garbage they gave me migraine headaches, if it's not the performance it's all the bugs they leave in. Even on the well regarded Sands of Time I lost progress due to a save bug and fell through the floor into infinity.

Edited by Cappy at 10:31:34 11-02-2014
  • Pinky_Floyd 11 Feb 2014 10:38:09 6,422 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    /metallica

/sad but trooueoo
  • LeoliansBro 11 Feb 2014 10:44:47 41,864 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think farming out the development of the WiiU version and delaying its release is evidence enough that Ubisoft don't prioritise this console. But yes, they do have more shonky programming in their stable of games than you'd hope for.

• Pinky_Floyd 11 Feb 2014 10:47:06 6,422 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Also evidence they are scrambling to get the other versions up to scratch by adding resources at the last minute. Not a good sign.
  • Bealsy 11 Feb 2014 11:41:32 756 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I would imagine they have an internal gold date they're not allowed to miss, and the other versions just aren't up to scratch.

The problem Ubi have now is that they've dug themselves such a big hole talking up how the game should be perfect and that's why it was delayed, that if it isn't people will be rather irked.
  • Sid-Nice 11 Feb 2014 12:26:48 15,810 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A Ubisoft spokesperson did say "The Wii U version will be an in between version of the current gen and next gen consoles" implying the game would look better than the PS3/Xbox 360 versions and not as good as the Xbone or the PS4.

The Nintendo/Wii U 3rd party support situation is a strange one; for years 3rd party support has been non-existent on Nintendo consoles and I think the common consensus is "Don't develop/buy 3rd party games on a Nintendo console."

The majority of multiplatform releases have performed poorly on the Wii U (deservedly so in most cases) the Wii U got the definitive version of Need for Speed and still it didn't sell. The belief that releasing the game 6 months after PS3/Xbox360 as being a factor; was proved wrong when you consider the success of Tomb Raiders on the next gen releasing 10 months later with more realist hair.

NNID Sid-Nice

• rock27gr 11 Feb 2014 12:32:54 5,424 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That Need for Speed game is impossible to find by the way.
  • LeoliansBro 11 Feb 2014 12:34:48 41,864 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's like the Resi 4 released for the PS2. It may be the 'definitive' version of the game, but nobody cares because they've already played it on the Gamecube.

• Armoured_Bear 11 Feb 2014 12:35:51 8,748 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    It's like the Resi 4 released for the PS2. It may be the 'definitive' version of the game, but nobody cares because they've already played it on the Gamecube.
    The Resi 4 PS2 version had extra stuff but was significantly poorer visually.

• Sid-Nice 11 Feb 2014 12:40:21 15,810 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Sarcasm; as the PS2 version sold more than the GameCube version.

NNID Sid-Nice

• nickthegun 11 Feb 2014 12:40:44 55,849 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Err... it had a proper widescreen mode rather than some shitty letterbox effort, so no.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Sid-Nice 11 Feb 2014 12:43:25 15,810 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rock27gr wrote:
    That Need for Speed game is impossible to find by the way.
    I've just searched and the game has disappeared off the face of the earth; still available on the eShop for a moderate sum. :)

NNID Sid-Nice

• Armoured_Bear 11 Feb 2014 12:44:10 8,748 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Err... it had a proper widescreen mode rather than some shitty letterbox effort, so no.
    Yes and less polygons, effects, geometry etc.

• Page

of 1212 First / Last