Wii U Page 1162

• Page

of 1363 First / Last

• Deleted user 7 February 2014 15:59:01
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    I tried a little Game and Wario hinting and prompting earlier. Does that mean no one else bought it? No one at all? Just me then? Ok.........
    I bought it when it first came out, bar the excellent 'Gamer' (which has one of the better implementations of the Gamepad) I thought it was a pretty poor effort.
    Try any of the multiplayer offerings?
    I did indeed, with my niece. The game just didnt click with us unfortunately, it just failed produce the same level of fun you get from a traditional Warioware game, or Nintendoland for that matter.

But as I say, I really loved 'Gamer', hoping to see that return if we get a new Warioware game on Wii U.
  • Zomoniac 7 Feb 2014 16:34:49 7,831 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I played the "flick little cube men onto floating tower thingies" one at a multiplayer party last week, was fun. Not tried any of the others though.
  • brokenkey 7 Feb 2014 18:06:25 7,042 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    apparently iPlayer isn't available via the Wii channel. :-(

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• rock27gr 7 Feb 2014 18:14:45 5,578 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    Phattso wrote:
    I quite liked how Excite Truck on the Wii handled it with the ability to raise/lower the track. Also one of the few games to make the WiiMote feel worthy, with the tilty waggle control scheme.

Fuck but I loved that game. Graphics like the inside of a sphincter, but amazing fun.
    Excitetruck was fucking amazeballs, anyone who disagrees is a soulless fuck. Apart from in your face playability it also had great replay value as you figured out the best routes to max out the stars.

A real underrated gem.
    Indeed, one of my most played and loved Wii games ever! Plus the only racing game where the motion controls where absolutely great and fun. Though I remember at the time the usual crowd missing the point while crying out for regular controls.

Unfortunately the sequel was a long time coming and in the end basically shit, not that it came out anywhere but the US.
  • rock27gr 7 Feb 2014 18:20:07 5,578 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    apparently iPlayer isn't available via the Wii channel. :-(
    Hmmm, was it removed? In any case, WiiU version imminent.(at some point in the future)
  • rock27gr 7 Feb 2014 18:21:56 5,578 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    A new Art of Balance on the way to Wii U.
    I wonder if it will be upgradable from the Wii version... Probably not.
  • Pinky_Floyd 7 Feb 2014 22:34:59 7,907 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If you have a smyths toys near you the skylanders swap force starter packs on all formats are 29.99

Picked up the wii u version and the kids enjoyed being on portal swap duties. Game seems fun and looks lovely too.
  • Raiko101 8 Feb 2014 02:49:04 6,315 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @rock27gr Probably not. It has extra stages and online multiplayer. They wont give that away.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Sid-Nice 8 Feb 2014 08:56:15 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    If you have a smyths toys near you the skylanders swap force starter packs on all formats are 29.99

Picked up the wii u version and the kids enjoyed being on portal swap duties. Game seems fun and looks lovely too.
    I'm tempted, I recently bought my grandson Skylanders Giants and yesterday bought Disney Infinity. Skylanders is the better game, I only got Infinity because my grandson picked up the Rapunzel and Ester characters on a recent shopping trip and trying to explain "You need the game (Starter Pack)" to play was hard for him to understand.

NNID Sid-Nice

• midnight_walker 8 Feb 2014 10:03:55 1,994 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    I'm tempted, I recently bought my grandson Skylanders Giants and yesterday bought Disney Infinity. Skylanders is the better game, I only got Infinity because my grandson picked up the Rapunzel and Ester characters on a recent shopping trip and trying to explain "You need the game (Starter Pack)" to play was hard for him to understand.
    My mind has just been blown at the idea of a grandfather explaining video games to his grandson - is this the first documented case? :D
  • Pinky_Floyd 8 Feb 2014 10:19:02 7,907 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:

I would go for it. Smyths also have the Giants characters for 4.99 and they work with swap force so you can get a couple of additional figures cheaply too.
  • DFawkes 8 Feb 2014 10:26:56 22,987 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Skylanders games are all pretty good. Yes, some short sections are locked off unless you use the right type of figure, but there are still many hours in them without extras purchases.

I've not played Swap Force yet, but would've snapped that up if I had the money. Also available online if you've not got a local Smyths.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Sid-Nice 9 Feb 2014 01:10:10 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    midnight_walker wrote:

My mind has just been blown at the idea of a grandfather explaining video games to his grandson - is this the first documented case? :D
    My grandson is only 4; 5 in March, but he is a little wiz kid when it come to technology and video games. Today while I was at work he showed my son (his dad) how to play video's using the USB on my TV and even had Wor Lass (his grandmother) playing 2 player Super Mario 3D World.

We only played Skylanders Giants once and it was back to Mario; I think he is a platform gaming fan as he loved NSMBU,NSLU, Rayman Legends, Super Mario 3D world and he has Mario Land on his 3DS. DK Tropical Freeze will be in the Wii U on his next visit; he did put a few hours into the Wind Waker and loved it, hopefull I'll find the time for him to sample the pleasure of playing The Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Syrette 9 Feb 2014 01:57:37 43,527 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Sid-Nice

Have you persuaded him against supporting the Toon? It's only right and proper.

• Ror1984 9 Feb 2014 02:10:49 3,380 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just got back from a mate's house having played the first three worlds of SM3DW with four players. Absolutely fantastic game, that.

I'm tempted to buy a copy myself now, but I'm not sure I'll enjoy it anywhere near as much in SP.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Raiko101 9 Feb 2014 03:04:47 6,315 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Multiplayer is a blast, but come the game's end, you'll want to tackle the stages alone. The platforms shrink and your friends become obstacles, which leads to arguments and such.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Sid-Nice 9 Feb 2014 10:29:25 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Syrette No he sings "Toon, Toon, black and white army."

NNID Sid-Nice

• nickthegun 9 Feb 2014 11:30:46 59,971 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    hehe

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Ror1984 9 Feb 2014 12:56:53 3,380 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Multiplayer is a blast, but come the game's end, you'll want to tackle the stages alone. The platforms shrink and your friends become obstacles, which leads to arguments and such.
    It did get a bit frantic on levels with falling platforms and screen scrolling, so I can understand that. Part of the fun though was working together to grab stars and clocks (and occasionally throwing each other out of the world when just trying to run or throw a fireball). I don't know if I'd play it in SP, but I am tempted.

nickthegun wrote:
    hehe

Heh, Benny gets around :)

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Bealsy 9 Feb 2014 14:12:49 791 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've boughted one finally. After 2 hours of setting up and updating had a quick bash on 3D world last night. Love it already.

XBL: The Bealesatron
    PSN: Shimbomba
    NNID: TheBealesatron

• Pinky_Floyd 9 Feb 2014 14:15:47 7,907 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Bealsy If you love it already thats a good sign indeed!
  • CompetitiveDad 9 Feb 2014 16:20:21 2,170 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @Pinky_Floyd have you tried using the wii u through your Xbox yet?
  • Pinky_Floyd 9 Feb 2014 16:28:52 7,907 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @CompetitiveDad Cant think of a reason to, is there one?
  • CharlieStCloud 9 Feb 2014 16:32:32 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    To remind you that you own a Xbox One?
  • Bealsy 9 Feb 2014 18:47:44 791 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @CompetitiveDad I don't know why I didn't think of this, especially as I can then xbox chat and play Mario. Ooh

• Bealsy 9 Feb 2014 18:48:34 791 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd 3D world is fabulous. I'm surprised how much I like the gamepad.

• Ryze 9 Feb 2014 19:55:18 3,124 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    midi82 wrote:
    It just seems stupid that Nintendo wouldn't have
    Yep.
  • macmurphy 9 Feb 2014 20:25:36 999 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was just watching Mariokart and Bayonetta 2 clips on youtube. That and Smash Bros, and maybe X this year as well. I'm not going to give the usual 'It will fly off the shelves when Mariokart comes,' but if they can get it down to 150 and just market it a little bit better I still can see it doing OK.

It will still be a bit of a damp squib, but Gamecube style damp squib as opposed to full on, you can't bend it, Gizmodo abortion.

Edit: what bought this on was another person that likes it. Every person on the thread that actually buys one doesn't really have anything bad to say about it.

Edited by macmurphy at 20:26:34 09-02-2014
  • Bealsy 9 Feb 2014 20:42:09 791 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @macmurphy sat on the fence for a while before taking the plunge. So many people hating on it, despite not actually owning one. Apart from the rather lengthy setup time, I've really been impressed so far.

• Ryze 9 Feb 2014 20:49:22 3,124 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not a terrible console at all.

If it came along in 2010, then loads of us would have lapped it up and laughed at Kinect and probably PS Move as well.

The problem is that Nintendo had one year to make a huge splash with the console, and what they released in terms of the hardware (and network service) was too little and too late relative to the competition.

Everyone was gearing up for the launch of the next gen machines. Once Sony had its stellar PS4 unveiling a year ago, noboddy cared about the Wii U. It didn'[t help that it had already entered a drought while waiting for Lego, Monster Hunter and Pikmin, while Revengeance, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite and others were doing the business on the other consoles which were approaching 70 million each in sales.

The Wii's momentum had dropped off years ago - and there wasn't even a good reason for that - apart from a lack of releavant games releases and online services from Nintendo.

They've done it all over again. Games tied to consoles and the like.

It's still a console that delivers Xbox 360 & PS3 standard games with a newer GPU. It's just too late to bank on that tech, apart from for Nintendo games and the odd extra gem.

I reckon we'll all have Wii Us in 5 years time, or at least we will have owned one at some point. I'm going to play Bayonetta 2 eventually, and I want to play Mario Kart 8. I'm just not going to be Spending 300 from a standing start to get up and running with these games on the Wii U.

It'll be more interesting to watch what a worried Nintendo does in response. Look at Sony. Reformed in a massive way. They behave so differently now, that it's shocking - while MS have gone and hired Phil Harrison.

/chortle

Edited by Ryze at 20:51:26 09-02-2014
  • Page

of 1363 First / Last