Wii U Page 1158

• Page

of 1358 First / Last

• zoolophage 5 Feb 2014 17:10:20 1,684 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    zoolophage wrote:
    The 2 great but unsung things about the gamepad are off tv play and the browser.
    I thought off tv play was the only sung thing about the gamepad?
    Yeah, amongst people who've tried it it's definitely a noted feature. I don't know that those who haven't tried it (most people) realise the convenience of it. I would now find it difficult to go back to using a console that doesn't have it. It's like once you've tried chips with mayonnaise there's no going back to brown sauce or ketchup.

Hmm...does that mean that if the Wii U was a condiment it'd be mayo? I'd plump for chimichurru, probably as it's not that popular and more of an acquired taste.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• Ror1984 5 Feb 2014 17:14:50 3,107 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I must say that after playing 2/3 of Wind Waker HD on the Gamepad (with the console itself upstairs), I do wish all my consoles had the option.

Just like I wish all my consoles had the quick resume feature I use on my XBO. I left Killer Instinct in the main menu a couple of days ago, minimised it to the dashboard and turned the console off. I fancied a couple of bouts in bed last night so turned the console on, hit the KI tile, and was immediately back in the game's main menu.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Dombat 5 Feb 2014 17:16:29 259 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Roddles Thanks, that's good to know. I still have some big Wii games I haven't played and would like to play them looking their best, especially if I decide to cave in on a Wii U once an improved bundle comes out and I have some spare money.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Feb 2014 20:31:42 10,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Indie stuff

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Progguitarist 5 Feb 2014 22:11:47 10,422 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
  • Bealsy 6 Feb 2014 11:40:40 791 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Argos Outlet selling refurbs for 179.99 with an additional 10% off (161) at the minute....

Click

Edited by Bealsy at 11:49:46 06-02-2014

XBL: The Bealesatron
    PSN: Shimbomba
    NNID: TheBealesatron

• aros 6 Feb 2014 11:46:33 2,777 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    zoolophage wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    zoolophage wrote:
    The 2 great but unsung things about the gamepad are off tv play and the browser.
    I thought off tv play was the only sung thing about the gamepad?
    Yeah, amongst people who've tried it it's definitely a noted feature. I don't know that those who haven't tried it (most people) realise the convenience of it. I would now find it difficult to go back to using a console that doesn't have it. It's like once you've tried chips with mayonnaise there's no going back to brown sauce or ketchup.

Hmm...does that mean that if the Wii U was a condiment it'd be mayo? I'd plump for chimichurru, probably as it's not that popular and more of an acquired taste.
    It's awesome on Vita/ps4 so I think most people realise off tv play is a good thing, if there are games that you actually want to play.

Vita sales have rocketed since the PS4 launch, so off tv play is a definite selling point. It just drives home how much is wrong with the Wii U that people DO want its main feature, but it still sells so, so poorly.

Edited by aros at 11:47:20 06-02-2014
  • aros 6 Feb 2014 11:49:52 2,777 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    That's brilliant.

Can you play normal Wii games on the gamepad or do they have to be played on the TV? Pointer controls recreated via touch screen? I'm sure it could be done, for most games, if they really wanted to.
  • mikew1985 6 Feb 2014 11:50:24 12,672 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You mean it's main feature that no developer including Nintendo is mandated to support?

At least it's a guarantee with a Vita and a PS4.
  • imamazed 6 Feb 2014 11:54:43 5,537 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bealsy wrote:
    Argos Outlet selling refurbs for 179.99 with an additional 10% off (161) at the minute....

Click
    Still much too expensive for what is basically a Gamecube HD with a fisher price tablet attached.
  • Bealsy 6 Feb 2014 11:59:02 791 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can you play normal Wii games on the gamepad or do they have to be played on the TV?
    You can view them, but you can't control them.

XBL: The Bealesatron
    PSN: Shimbomba
    NNID: TheBealesatron

• Armoured_Bear 6 Feb 2014 12:01:39 10,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bealsy wrote:
    Can you play normal Wii games on the gamepad or do they have to be played on the TV?
    You can view them, but you can't control them.
    Yep, otherwise they'd have to patch 1000 games to use a different control scheme.

• Sid-Nice 6 Feb 2014 12:06:16 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    Still much too expensive for what is basically a Gamecube HD with a fisher price tablet attached.
    Bullshit the Fisher Price Tablet has a much higher build quality.

NNID Sid-Nice

• midnight_walker 6 Feb 2014 12:10:36 1,947 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Comparing the Wii U gamepad to an iPad in a Fisher Price case is hardly fair.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Feb 2014 12:12:10 10,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    imamazed wrote:
    Ah, that's why I have him on ignore, even for this thread that's utterly pathetic trolling.

• Sid-Nice 6 Feb 2014 12:15:30 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I know the iPad is recycled ancient technology but the Fisher Price cover is fantastic.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Languedocian 6 Feb 2014 12:49:57 11 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Off-TV is a great feature, and right now (with the caveat of being out longer) it is the next-gen console with the best games. Looking forward to seeing what games Nintendo and others can come up with, where the main mode of interaction with the game world isn't just to shoot at it. Have to say that the browser makes using the internet on a console, for once, an enjoyable experience.

Another great feature is that it recycles the Wii remotes. For me, the Wii remote is probably my second favourite controller of all-time, behind the N64 controller. Certainly with games like Super Mario Galaxy I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I had to sit, leaning forward, hunched over a traditional pad (I have a small TV :(). The Wii remote is the ultimate 'lounging on the sofa' pad. It feels strange to go back to something that has buttons located so close together.
  • neilka 6 Feb 2014 13:05:17 15,871 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did someone spill water on ecosse again?

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• javvyman 6 Feb 2014 13:28:34 708 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Footage from earlier today

Edited by javvyman at 13:36:30 06-02-2014
  • LeoliansBro 6 Feb 2014 14:14:30 43,855 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Languedocian wrote:
    The Wii remote is the ultimate 'lounging on the sofa' pad.
    Just like it was portrayed in all the adverts, eh?

Couldn't disagree more with this.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• CharlieStCloud 6 Feb 2014 14:24:06 5,202 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah.

I'd argue that the last Nintendo console that you could lounge on the sofa with is the GameCube with the WaveBird pad.

... both the Wii and Wii U requires you to sit facing the television in a certain manner, especially with gyroscope and games that uses the Wii remote pointer thingummy.
  • midnight_walker 6 Feb 2014 14:35:52 1,947 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just got a Wii U! \o/
  • imamazed 6 Feb 2014 14:42:11 5,537 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, my condolences.
  • Dombat 6 Feb 2014 15:04:19 259 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Languedocian wrote:

This.

Sure, you can be relaxed using the nunchuck, but when you have to constantly aim with the wiimote it's about as far removed from 'lounging on the sofa' as console controllers have got.

Also, if you have to lean forward to play games with a typical controller because you have a small tv, surely you'd have exactly the same problem with a Wiimote. :confused:
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Feb 2014 15:39:12 10,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dombat wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Languedocian wrote:

This.

Sure, you can be relaxed using the nunchuck, but when you have to constantly aim with the wiimote it's about as far removed from 'lounging on the sofa' as console controllers have got.

Also, if you have to lean forward to play games with a typical controller because you have a small tv, surely you'd have exactly the same problem with a Wiimote. :confused:
    This is nonsense, for non waggle games you sit the same way as with a "normal" controller, just you can have your arms farther apart if you wish.
    There's a lack of buttons that are comfortable reached but sitting playing Metroid Prime 3, Sin and Punishment, Mario Galaxy etc. is very much "lounging on the sofa"

• Armoured_Bear 6 Feb 2014 15:39:33 10,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    midnight_walker wrote:
    I just got a Wii U! \o/
    \o/

Congrats!!

• Pinky_Floyd 6 Feb 2014 15:57:11 7,717 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Grabbed Game and Wario the other week for 20 quid and had it on today for a bit and its a lot of fun. Just single player mind, no multi yet. The cartoon presentation in between the mini games is cracking.

16 mini games in total all with various levels. Ive unlocked about 9 mini games I think.

Obviously its built from the ground up to use the gamepad with varying degrees of success with some being better than others.

Definitely one to pick up and try if you see it cheap as there is nothing like it on any of the other consoles and makes neat use of the gamepad.

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 15:57:47 06-02-2014
  • Languedocian 6 Feb 2014 16:03:20 11 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Languedocian wrote:

Fair point. It could be assumed that Nintendo advertised it in that way to accentuate the motion controls and the movement/fitness aspect. I have had no problems slouched on the sofa and using quick flicks of the wrist etc., even when the remote hasn't even been pointing at the TV. With Wii Sports bowling, for example, there didn't seem to be any gain for bowling as if it were an actual bowling ball - a quick forward flick would do the trick; you didn't even need to stand up (of course, it was more fun to pretend). But with the adverts showing people engaged and moving relatively intensely for a video game, they were trying to sell it to people who would usually believe video games to be a 'lazy' pastime?

Dombat wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Languedocian wrote:

This.

Maybe it is down to the placement of the Wii's sensor bar, but I haven't had any problems when the remote hasn't been pointing at the screen. Did/do you have yours above or below the TV?

Apologies, could have been clearer, and 'Lounging on the sofa' was probably the wrong description to use. I had Xenoblade, SM Galaxy, SM 3D World (games that don't really use motion controls) in mind when thinking about this. For me, the ability to stretch out with the Wii remote feels more natural than a traditional pad, when you don't have to use motion controls. It doesn't feel right to sit back and relax with a traditional controller; doing so gives the feeling of not really 'being in' the game. Is that just me? Haha.
  • Languedocian 6 Feb 2014 16:05:13 11 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @Armoured_Bear

Thanks, this is a much more succinct version of what I was trying to say! For me, it is this that makes controls for certain Wii games feel much more natural than if a standard controller were used.

Edited by Languedocian at 16:15:47 06-02-2014
  • Dombat 6 Feb 2014 16:09:22 259 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Languedocian I don't mean tracking the wiimote. I was more confused at why you'd have to hunch forward using a regular controller, but can lean back using a wiimote when using a small tv, which I assumed was more about being able to see what you're doing.

Although you've explained what you meant now. Personally I don't see why the two would be any different but I guess it's personal habit.

I suppose I was comparing different experiences to you and AB as I've mostly just played games with motion controls on the Wii.
  • Page

of 1358 First / Last