Wii U Page 1148

• Page

of 1407 First / Last

• rock27gr 30 Jan 2014 18:20:07 5,787 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I wanted a solution to the WiiU's problem which wasn't 'make money in areas that aren't about gaming'.

Edit: and if their brilliant software developers are going to continue to work on 1st party games, why has it taken them so long to make any so far in this cycle, and why are they talking about farming out IP to reduce the existing workload further?

I think Iwata was bounced into dropping a teaser about this new tech before they wanted to, and I think that's what's been eating up development time.

Yaay.
    I agree that they probably unveiled a teaser of their new strategy far earlier than they would have wanted. But in general I don't feel that their output has been slower this last couple of years than has ever been; Nintendo has always taken it's time with flagship games. IT's frustrating, but also one of the reasons they are (usually) of the highest quality, and always full of little details here and there you don't get from most other devs.

Unless you believe they took half the Zelda team and half the Tokyo team and placed them into "lifestyle" product development. Doesn't strike me as the best way to retain top talent that you've been nurturing for decades.

The whole of Nintendo is only 5000 people strong. That includes I would assume all management stuff, marketing stuff etc worldwide. With teams these days numbering in the hundreds, I would guess they need more staff.
  • Cappy 30 Jan 2014 18:35:31 12,115 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's a certain symmetry to Nintendo's plan.

Make them unfit, overweight and sedentary with video games, then launch a new product line devoted to health and fitness.

It's like tobacco companies starting a offshoot business in cancer treatments.
  • Armoured_Bear 30 Jan 2014 19:19:04 11,884 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I wanted a solution to the WiiU's problem which wasn't 'make money in areas that aren't about gaming'.

Edit: and if their brilliant software developers are going to continue to work on 1st party games, why has it taken them so long to make any so far in this cycle, and why are they talking about farming out IP to reduce the existing workload further?

I think Iwata was bounced into dropping a teaser about this new tech before they wanted to, and I think that's what's been eating up development time.

Yaay.
    I suspect they're farming IP out because they realise that the 3rd party situation is beyond fucked and they need to do something else.

I see you're adding "there's no games cos the devs are all working on health stuff" to "Support has been cancelled, no more games are coming out".
    Awesome.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Erek 30 Jan 2014 20:44:37 258 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think it's worrying that Nintendo are farming out their IP - further diluting the likes of Mario when they really need a rest right now. New IP is the answer, not more of Nintendo's old characters.

NNID: Erekose200

• Progguitarist 30 Jan 2014 20:44:41 10,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd love to know what they are working on then.
  • Pinky_Floyd 30 Jan 2014 21:25:53 8,310 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I am almost certain that my understanding of them encouraging third parties to licence their IP's is probably wrong.† Its all so.....so....vague.†

F-Zero on the Cube was a genius game so there is no reason it cant work.

That would be the sensible thing to do when you are simply not big enough to generate enough software for your console and Nintendo are in a pretty unique position to be able to do this as their IP's are so iconic and well known.

Probably just means indie puzzle games with Yoshi in it or something.
  • rock27gr 30 Jan 2014 21:33:57 5,787 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    F-Zero was unique in that it was an Arcade racer leveraging Sega's strength in the area. It was a perfect marriage of an IP with the strength of an experienced development team. The GC was a port of the arcade if I remember correctly.

Edited by rock27gr at 21:34:42 30-01-2014
  • Deleted user 30 January 2014 21:53:55
    To be honest, i think this is a bit of a cat chasing its tail type of problem.

They need third parties. There own output imo is fine, but it isn't when there is not that many third party games coming out. So indies are the solution!, But theres still a perception amongst some people that they are not real games, or not worth playing, or shouldn't sell a console (the latter as some element of truth in it).

BUT i think that perception will change over this generation. Indies will be the thing that keeps the other two generation games machines catalouge ticking over, especially as game development costs are sky high, with millions of sales required just to break even. The wii u might become a right off now, but there relationships with indies right now are crucial. They will be the new third parties , or have a larger share of the market to make them a viable stragety. But it kind of leaves the wii u in a bit of a muddle. Invest in them! Which i think they are doing to some extent.
  • Cappy 30 Jan 2014 21:55:20 12,115 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Allowing use of Nintendo IP is probably a way of trying to get third party exclusives.

There's always been a vague disdain for multiformat titles from Nintendo, exclusives from third parties might actually get some support.

I'm not sure how many will bite for such a small userbase though.
  • pogomeister 31 Jan 2014 11:53:40 339 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A problem with this wii u is the lack of decent games on display in store like game. A walked out ther half an hour ago empty handed even tho I fully intended to buy one. The deal they have is 249 with mario/luigi and some sports connection game, the other is 279 with any other game extra. If ther was a full suite of games to choose from I probably would have went for it but the only real choice worth the money was mario 3d land. It's definetly a game I am looking to play but not when I already have mario/luigi to get thru!
  • Rodpad 31 Jan 2014 11:56:08 2,093 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Righto.
  • aros 31 Jan 2014 13:32:34 3,421 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    If you ever thought they were in this business for the love of it, then you must have been disabused of that by now.
    If you thought that, you were a bloody idiot. Jesus Christ.
  • aros 31 Jan 2014 14:32:22 3,421 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Last slide, it's all on that page. Note the two parallel divisions they envisage going forward.

'Games 1983 ~ ?' with its gaming fans.

'Quality of Life 2015 ~ ?' with its fitness fans.
    Looking at their chart of development Console > Mobile > Wearable > Non-Wearable it seems that they are just ignoring wearable to demand people stay in the past. Nothing before wearable was wearable so how is that a blue ocean? I'm absolutely stunned that they can get away with this.
  • Armoured_Bear 31 Jan 2014 14:36:38 11,884 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They have lost it,the QoL market is hardly Blue Ocean :-(

• Cappy 31 Jan 2014 15:01:03 12,115 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, which Wii U games are going to get outright cancelled or shifted to another platform such as the 3DS?

Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem seems like cert to me for two reasons; No actual game footage has even been seen, work is either at an early stage or still in planning.

Secondly it's the sort of game that's going to flop like a blue wale coming down from low Earth orbit if released on the Wii U. Turn based strategy games are a niche with a very specific audience that has consolidated on portable devices or the Playstation 3. If you're not releasing on the Playstation 3 there really is no point since you're cut yourself off from the home console audience who buy these sorts of games.
  • Armoured_Bear 31 Jan 2014 15:10:16 11,884 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Iwata : "We should abandon old assumptions about our businesses. We are considering M&As [mergers and acquisitions] as an option. For this reason, we'll step up share buybacks."

About time!

• Armoured_Bear 31 Jan 2014 15:10:56 11,884 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Who should they buy?
    Platinum is the obvious answer, who else?
    Are Capcom worth buying these days?

• spazmo 31 Jan 2014 15:20:26 2,802 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm finished with Nintendo until real changes have been made.

Or when DK comes out.
  • Pinky_Floyd 31 Jan 2014 15:53:51 8,310 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shinen and get f zero out the door.† But those guys are slooooow.† Well, there is only 5 of them, could probably buy them for a tenner.
  • Armoured_Bear 31 Jan 2014 15:55:09 11,884 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Shinen and get f zero out the door.† But those guys are slooooow.† Well, there is only 5 of them, could probably buy them for a tenner.
    I think a 5 year supply of Paulaner Weissbier would do it.

• karlo87 31 Jan 2014 20:14:46 1,695 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago

The answer

Damn that sorcerer! Twenty gold pieces and Iím wankered on Rohypnol.

• mikew1985 31 Jan 2014 20:20:51 13,030 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The only thing that's an answer to is the question "how do I fail at video games businessing?"
  • JiveHound 31 Jan 2014 20:24:48 2,714 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    spazmo wrote:
    I'm finished with Nintendo until real changes have been made.

Or when DK comes out.
    Ha! I keep floating between these two states.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Pinky_Floyd 31 Jan 2014 21:17:35 8,310 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nintendo delivered my transferred consoles today so that was a 1 week turnaround as I posted last friday.

Was a fiddle syncing up the gamepad to the console but mostly it went ok.† Linked my NNID and all my stuff was visible from the hard drive and working fine.

Its just not how it needs to be though.† They gotta get this sorted.
  • Deleted user 31 January 2014 23:23:45
    Capcom would be a great purchase mainly for the Monster hunter and Street Fighter rights but I think Sega are a stronger supporter and a more likely purchase
  • Armoured_Bear 31 Jan 2014 23:28:57 11,884 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I "completed" Super Mario 3D World with 170 Stars, What a game!!!

• RichieTenenbaum 31 Jan 2014 23:36:25 2,226 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd like them to buy Sports Interactive so we could have Football Manager U
  • Pinky_Floyd 31 Jan 2014 23:47:57 8,310 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear What world did you complete?† All of them? :)
  • Mola_Ram 31 Jan 2014 23:49:05 8,257 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nintendo and Sega, together. My 10-year-old self just jizzed everywhere.
  • Armoured_Bear 31 Jan 2014 23:54:13 11,884 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear What world did you complete?† All of them? :)
    Only the first 8 :-)

• Page

of 1407 First / Last