Wii U Page 1147

• Page

of 1369 First / Last

• Deleted user 30 January 2014 16:25:38
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Having said that, I think it's probably too late to rescue the Wii U.
    Far from it, relaunch and rebrand the console 150 - price point(gamepad sold separately) and release a proper online pokemon game on it, job done.
  • LeoliansBro 30 Jan 2014 16:28:31 44,502 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nobody ever comes up with 'this would save the WiiU'.

Everybody instead posts 'this is what it would take for me to buy the WiiU'.

Looking at you lavalant :)

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Armoured_Bear 30 Jan 2014 16:29:33 11,331 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    lavalant wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Having said that, I think it's probably too late to rescue the Wii U.
    Far from it, relaunch and rebrand the console 150 - price point(gamepad sold separately) and release a proper online pokemon game on it, job done.
    Gamepad will never be sold separately but a proper online pokemon could be huge, also will never happn.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• neilka 30 Jan 2014 16:31:57 16,220 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I for one can't wait for this revolutionary "non-wearable" technology they've got in the works, sounds like the stuff of science fiction!

/sellotapes PS4 to forehead
  • LeoliansBro 30 Jan 2014 16:32:23 44,502 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Non-wearable like a kettle?

Edit: Nintendo Kettle, 110. Brews water to 15 degrees C in 20 minutes. Can only be used to make hot chocolate, or another similar kind of hot chocolate. Comes with a telly stuck to the side. 4 hour assembly time. Please understand.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 16:36:19 30-01-2014

• LeoliansBro 30 Jan 2014 16:48:05 44,502 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nobody got any thoughts about the fact that Iwata just annouced that Nintendo are going to diverge from being a pure games and gaming hardware company?

Nothing?

• TheMayorOfJugs 30 Jan 2014 16:53:14 3,963 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Nobody got any thoughts about the fact that Iwata just annouced that Nintendo are going to diverge from being a pure games and gaming hardware company?

Nothing?
    What?? :-o

They're going to make decks of cards again!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Pinky_Floyd 30 Jan 2014 16:57:32 8,026 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Nothing?
    I think its largely ignorable if you are a gamer. They see the fragility of focusing only on games so are going to diversify. On the games side of things nothing changes for the forseeable future (hopefully gets better).
  • CosmicFuzz 30 Jan 2014 16:59:10 24,822 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I took that to mean software of some kind, like fitness apps/hardware.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• CosmicFuzz 30 Jan 2014 16:59:29 24,822 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry that post doesn't make sense but you know what I mean.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• LeoliansBro 30 Jan 2014 16:59:36 44,502 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They see the future as following in the footsteps of Brain Training, Wii Fit, Cooking Navigator etc. Casual, lifestyle, 'health' oriented stuff designed for people who want to be fit and healthy, rather than gamers.

It's all there in the presentation. Quite a lot of the presentation, actually.

• nickthegun 30 Jan 2014 17:00:31 60,394 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is a company that notoriously cant do two things at the same time (i.e. release a console and make games for it).

How the hell are they going to continue to support two console AND diversify into other markets without something suffering?

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• vyseofhr 30 Jan 2014 17:01:36 855 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    vyseofhr wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Bringing back old brands like Ice Climber that have been untouched for 30 years in a vain attempt to try and reinvent them to be relevant to modern gaming would be futile. The number of people who would give a shit that a new game happens to be vaguely based on an obscure NES game from 1985 is about twelve.
    Kid Icarus the 3DS million seller says hi.
    3% of the install base? 1.18 million for a big first-party game on an established platform is a bit shit tbh.
    I was in a bit of a hurry when I posted that, and didn't mean to be as withering as that sounds reading it back. Apologies.

As a system seller, no, you're absolutely right, it isn't what the Wii U needs. As a supplement to an existing library where Smash, MK, etc are the big sellers? I think you could do a lot worse than (for example) Kid Icarus which was revived pretty successfully after a 30 year absence. It's also worth remembering that at that time, 3DS wasn't all that established either, but a steady stream of high-quality games got the system selling eventually...

Edited by vyseofhr at 17:01:52 30-01-2014

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• LeoliansBro 30 Jan 2014 17:02:31 44,502 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I took that to mean software of some kind, like fitness apps/hardware.
    Yep but nothing to do with consoles or games. They want this non wearable 'user experience that will integrate into people's daily lives.'

Seems like their focus for growth will be Daily Fun Sit Ups With Mario And Pals rather than anything on a console, or God forbid a good console in and of itself.

• CosmicFuzz 30 Jan 2014 17:02:36 24,822 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah that's right. Which, when I suppose they were never a video game company in the beginning, maybe isn't that surprising.

It's still odd though. If they choose to leave the video game industry it won't be because they didn't succeed, it'll be because they never tried. They know exactly what will sell to people, but they choose to do their own thing.

• LeoliansBro 30 Jan 2014 17:09:15 44,502 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Nothing?
    I think its largely ignorable if you are a gamer. They see the fragility of focusing only on games so are going to diversify. On the games side of things nothing changes for the forseeable future (hopefully gets better).
    If that is true then it's even worse, and shows how colossally they have misread the situation:

- There is no inherent 'fragility' in focussing on games.

- Diversifying will inevitably reduce their interest in getting their consoles and handhelds and the associated games 'right'. The feedback from fans will carry less weight as well as they have other irons in the fire.

- They have demonstrated (yes, to an audience of investors) that they have no inherent loyalty to their existing fanbase other than as a revenue stream, which can easily be replaced by making money doing something else.

- You can't start with 100% videogame focus and move to 50% video games and 50% health products without changing how your games division operates. For a start it'll be starved of funding and management will have to jockey for exec level attention with this new department.

- It's alarming that their solution effectively admits that making games is something they cannot successfully do any more, as their solution does not address it in the least (apart from some trickle-down games based on their new, successful focus as a company, some time in the future).

It's a decision made out of cold, brutal economics. If you ever thought they were in this business for the love of it, then you must have been disabused of that by now.

• Armoured_Bear 30 Jan 2014 17:10:51 11,331 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post 1

Post 2

Edited by Armoured_Bear at 17:12:59 30-01-2014

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Pinky_Floyd 30 Jan 2014 17:12:28 8,026 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @nickthegun Thats a perfectly reasonable point. I am not sure. Perhaps the QOL stuff requires small teams? Perhaps they really do intend to decrease development load by licensing out franchises to third parties much more?

Still think its largely ignorable from a gamers point of view for the forseeable future.

My main concern is that Iwata never, ever does what he says he is going to do. He promised no software drought at the Gamecubes launch. Then he said sorry, wouldnt happen with the Wii (it did). Same again with the Wii U. Here we are a year later with the same old platitudes.

The man is totally vaccuous, he needs to actually do something instead of spouting hot air.
  • H1ggyLTD 30 Jan 2014 17:16:03 1,789 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Was speaking to a mother of three today, who referred to "that handheld Wii thing".
  • CosmicFuzz 30 Jan 2014 17:18:39 24,822 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, but when have mothers ever been good indicators of video game hardware strengths? My parents called my Gamecube a "gamebox-thing". The only reason they knew the name Wii was because it was unusual and it was bloody everywhere.

• Pinky_Floyd 30 Jan 2014 17:19:02 8,026 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @H1ggyLTD Sounds like she had had her fill of those.

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 17:22:26 30-01-2014
  • LeoliansBro 30 Jan 2014 17:23:29 44,502 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's possible the WiiU games drought is down to engineering talent being siphoned off to work on this new thing.

It's also possible Iwata is blowing smoke out of his arse, but there must be something concrete at the bottom of it all.

Nintendo patent anything recently?

• Pinky_Floyd 30 Jan 2014 17:26:50 8,026 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    It's possible the WiiU games drought is down to engineering talent being siphoned off to work on this new thing.

It's also possible Iwata is blowing smoke out of his arse, but there must be something concrete at the bottom of it all.

Nintendo patent anything recently?
    The drought probably had something to do with getting the 3DS out of the shizla. Course, its doing ok now. Seems like a much tougher sell for the wii u though.
  • mrpon 30 Jan 2014 17:36:06 29,170 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What did happen with that NFC shit?! Wasn't there supposed to be some kids game? Collect the card packs sold in supermarkets etc.. BOOM!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• CosmicFuzz 30 Jan 2014 17:39:39 24,822 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh yeah! I remember them showing kids with Assassin's Creed toys and scanning them in etc.

Probably just concept stuff that's never actually going to be used.

• mrpon 30 Jan 2014 17:44:37 29,170 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, old news - this was the press release today apparently. NFC games coming this year then.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• LeoliansBro 30 Jan 2014 17:46:01 44,502 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Health based tech isn't exactly an untapped blue ocean either.

• Zomoniac 30 Jan 2014 17:48:33 7,850 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The unveil for Rayman Legends showed NFC stuff. Never heard of again.
  • rock27gr 30 Jan 2014 17:51:25 5,586 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    If that is true then it's even worse, and shows how colossally they have misread the situation:

- There is no inherent 'fragility' in focussing on games.

- Diversifying will inevitably reduce their interest in getting their consoles and handhelds and the associated games 'right'. The feedback from fans will carry less weight as well as they have other irons in the fire.

- They have demonstrated (yes, to an audience of investors) that they have no inherent loyalty to their existing fanbase other than as a revenue stream, which can easily be replaced by making money doing something else.

- You can't start with 100% videogame focus and move to 50% video games and 50% health products without changing how your games division operates. For a start it'll be starved of funding and management will have to jockey for exec level attention with this new department.

- It's alarming that their solution effectively admits that making games is something they cannot successfully do any more, as their solution does not address it in the least (apart from some trickle-down games based on their new, successful focus as a company, some time in the future).

It's a decision made out of cold, brutal economics. If you ever thought they were in this business for the love of it, then you must have been disabused of that by now.
    The whole point of this "exercise" is to diversify, and not have "all their eggs in one basket", not to replace one basket for another.

The presentation addresses a lot of the issues identified by you and others in this here thread, and still you manage to make a mockery of it.

They said they are moving towards a more "unified" games production. They are hinting at evolving the NIID into a "service" that will carry over in all their hardware. They are going to collaborate more with 3rd parties to get better turnaround of games. They expect this new avenue of business to eventually co-exist and inter-pollinate with their games business. They reassured investors and customers alike that they aren't abandoning WiiU and are in fact concentrating on leveraging its uniqueness through software to appear from his year.

Sure it's all talk, but what could they present as proof to satisfy all you couch-CEOs?

And I highly doubt that their brilliant software developers would be content to be relegated in producing "lifestyle" products if it doesn't interest them. It will be business as usual for them, with new teams set-up to pursue Nintendo's new avenue.

Now if any of these turns out good/in time is a different issue.
  • LeoliansBro 30 Jan 2014 18:05:34 44,502 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wanted a solution to the WiiU's problem which wasn't 'make money in areas that aren't about gaming'.

Edit: and if their brilliant software developers are going to continue to work on 1st party games, why has it taken them so long to make any so far in this cycle, and why are they talking about farming out IP to reduce the existing workload further?

I think Iwata was bounced into dropping a teaser about this new tech before they wanted to, and I think that's what's been eating up development time.

Yaay.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 18:07:46 30-01-2014

• Page

of 1369 First / Last