Wii U Page 1129

• Page

of 1356 First / Last

• rock27gr 24 Jan 2014 20:37:37 5,561 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If they bothered optimising it, it could be, why doubt them? In any case, I expect Watchdogs to be one of the first multi-platforms that will play quite better on the PS4/Xbox1.
  • rock27gr 24 Jan 2014 20:38:46 5,561 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    rock27gr wrote:
    The console you have in mind; no gimmicks, one that is equal to PS4/Xbox1, and I'll throw in equal 3rd party support too.
    I don't think a modern equivalent of the Gamecube would be the answer either.
    Neither do I, I said as much in numerous posts. It was a question for Leolian's Bro.
  • Armoured_Bear 25 Jan 2014 16:18:44 10,569 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Iwata isn't Nintendo's problem. It's Miyamoto

Good article from Oli Welsh

Edited by Armoured_Bear at 16:18:56 25-01-2014

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• macmurphy 25 Jan 2014 16:26:56 999 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You know that article is from Eurogamer? It's on the front page. You know that? Right?
  • Deleted user 25 January 2014 16:30:49
    Post deleted
  • Cappy 25 Jan 2014 16:49:38 11,898 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A more neutral article would perhaps not have ignored the most obvious club to beat Miyamoto with; If Miyamoto is in charge of managing Nintendo's development studios surely he is most directly responsible for all those games that didn't make it for Wii U launch because HD development was 'too difficult', he's responsible for the highly unbalanced first party lineup which focuses on just a few genres, that's not how you build an audience.

He was supposed to be overseeing all of that, but in typical Nintendo fashion he let things slide until reaching the point where Nintendo are forced into attempting to fix problems after the damage is already done. Surely Miyamoto could have consulted with developers who had worked on HD projects and got some idea on the necessary skill sets and staffing levels that would allow him to schedule releases for launch so they didn't have to launch with a side scroller rehash followed by a six month drought with the promise of more side scrollers and rehashes to follow.

Edited by Cappy at 16:56:39 25-01-2014
  • malloc 25 Jan 2014 17:57:17 2,328 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    A more neutral article would perhaps not have ignored the most obvious club to beat Miyamoto with; If Miyamoto is in charge of managing Nintendo's development studios surely he is most directly responsible for all those games that didn't make it for Wii U launch because HD development was 'too difficult', he's responsible for the highly unbalanced first party lineup which focuses on just a few genres, that's not how you build an audience.

He was supposed to be overseeing all of that, but in typical Nintendo fashion he let things slide until reaching the point where Nintendo are forced into attempting to fix problems after the damage is already done. Surely Miyamoto could have consulted with developers who had worked on HD projects and got some idea on the necessary skill sets and staffing levels that would allow him to schedule releases for launch so they didn't have to launch with a side scroller rehash followed by a six month drought with the promise of more side scrollers and rehashes to follow.
    +1
  • macmurphy 25 Jan 2014 19:54:32 999 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think you can blame Miyamoto for the games but the biggest problem is the utter collapse of relations with third parties.

I think that quite a few people have commented on the idea of ditching the game pad. Like they have the new 2DS, bring the Wii U out without the pad, maybe with a snappier name like Wii 2 - it's not rocket science but at least people will know what they are buying. It's almost like the thing has made such a small dent on the public consciousness that they could do such a relaunch and a lot of people would think it was new. As they said in the American site's article, Bundle it with Mario and an arcade pad, make it cheap and have an ad campaign that stresses it is still the local multiplayer platform of choice, and great for kids. And that you can play all your old Wii games and use the controllers (start pumping out cheap motion plus attachments).

Won't exactly raise it from the dead but once mariokart and smash bros are out, if it's cheap enough I can see it at least not dying on its arse

Edited by macmurphy at 19:56:52 25-01-2014
  • SomaticSense 25 Jan 2014 20:37:06 8,157 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Miyamoto is not the reason the console was dated tech-wise on release. Miyamoto is not the reason for the inflated price point. Miyamoto is not the reason for the almost immediate mass evacuation of third party studios. I'd also be surprised if Miyamoto is responsible for the Wii U being a pig to dev for.

He's not completely without blame for the Wii U's troubles. But when the publisher he's in charge of produced three (ok, two discounting the Wind Waker remake) of the best games of the year, including one of the best ever (SMB3DW), he's probably one of the key reasons the Wii U is still selling at all. In fact, did any other publisher have anything like that kind of hit rate last year?
  • Pinky_Floyd 25 Jan 2014 21:00:39 7,680 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The hardware could have done with SM3DW being out earlier but Nintendo's stubborn insistence on not releasing it until its done is one of the many reasons its so amazing. I havent heard of a single bug or glitch. It didnt get a day one patch and hasnt had one since release and no one is asking for one.

They may be reaping the rewards of myriad mistakes with the Wii U but good god, they can make stunning, virtually bug free games.

Albeit at a slow pace ;)
  • SomaticSense 25 Jan 2014 21:08:14 8,157 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wouldn't say that producing a masterpiece like 3D World so soon after SMG2 is that slow...

Regardless, I'd rather that than BF4, FIFA, Skyrim, etc "No, no, no. You must release NOW!" bugfests.
  • macmurphy 25 Jan 2014 21:16:26 999 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They can. They are just utter biffs at making business decisions and maintaining relationships with people. They have a vision for family, and fun, but whilst that captured the hearts of the nascent gaming community we have all grown up and they just haven't adjusted.

I still love Mario but I also love Battlefield, and GTA, and FIFA. It stands to reason that Nintendo have to compete with the hardware of the other platforms. People describe the failure of the gamecube despite it's power, but I loved all the third party support it got.

Nintendo are arguably the strongest first party software developers with the most highly rated games. All they need to do is make sure that their consoles can play GTA and FIFA, keep pumping out their own first party goodness and surely they could then compete. I think the last two generations have shown that gamers are fairly fickle - a lot of people changed from PS2 to 360 when the PS3 was struggling, a lot of people have now changed from 360 to PS4 as it seems to be the stronger console on release. I don't see why people wouldn't buy a Nintendo machine, as long as it had a media player and decent features.

But it needs to compete in terms of graphics, or they will always be a second console and this doesn't seem to be a profitable business model.

Edited by macmurphy at 21:17:20 25-01-2014
  • malloc 25 Jan 2014 21:39:29 2,328 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The reality is the same old same old, whilst being great simply isn't selling consoles well enough for Nintendo. The article makes a good point it was the Nintendogs, Brain Training and Wii Sports which is what sold it to the non-declining traditional Nintendo gamers. Even Goldeneye helped with the N64, otherwise personally I think that would have done worse.

Will be interesting to see what Nintendo end up doing. It's a slow turn around in the gaming world, games take a couple of years to develop, so any quick fix, i.e. <1 year, will be interesting I'm sure.

You wonder what they've been doing for the last 4 years. The Wii started to fail or success less than it could have and they were gearing up for the Wii U and apparently not learning any lessons which beggars belief.
  • RichieTenenbaum 25 Jan 2014 22:21:26 2,192 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Problem is that Nintendo seem to be making games exclusively for their current fans. Filled with in jokes and twists on formulas. Great for people like us. But a clever twist to a formula, a little subversion of expectation only works if you know what to expect. And most people don't.

They need more than Nintendo games. They need to spend big cash and simply buy a few studios. A western shooty one. A JRPG one. A racing game one.
    Then they simply need to wave money at EA until they put FIFA on it. They could even let them install Origin on the Wii U. In fact, subcontracting out all of the online stuff would be a great move for them. If they got EA/Valve to do all the networking stuff it'd be great. They simply don't have the skill set to do it themselves.
  • NOSAVIOUR 25 Jan 2014 22:47:19 2,804 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The simple fact is Nintendo is stubborn, it does what it wants to do and not what anyone else tells it. When they deliver they deliver unlike anyone else can which is bound to make them arrogant as. They won't listen now and their not going to for a long time yet. I do think they need to invest in more studios and be inspired by live/psn network and look at what's great about live/psn network. Mario 3D world could have had a online mode for example, it wouldn't detract from the core experience or social aspect of it.
  • Psychotext 25 Jan 2014 23:50:47 53,933 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    You know that article is from Eurogamer? It's on the front page. You know that? Right?
    A lot of us don't visit the front page any more.
  • Mola_Ram 25 Jan 2014 23:54:08 7,215 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Basically, I think Nintendo should do whatever I tell them to do. Because clearly I know better.
  • EMarkM 26 Jan 2014 07:05:30 3,173 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    macmurphy wrote:
    True, this. I had read it from the front page first, before seeing it linked from this thread, but my bookmark is for the Forum homepage, and I often don't look at the main homepage for days.
  • macmurphy 26 Jan 2014 10:02:37 999 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    macmurphy wrote:
    True, this. I had read it from the front page first, before seeing it linked from this thread, but my bookmark is for the Forum homepage, and I often don't look at the main homepage for days.
    My apologies to the bear. I always come in via the front page. I like the forum and lurk here a fair bit, but I'm always interested in the latest news first.

It's funny that a few of you steer clear; something you don't like?
  • RichieTenenbaum 26 Jan 2014 10:23:32 2,192 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Basically, I think Nintendo should do whatever I tell them to do. Because clearly I know better.
    Well their current strategy couldn't be much worse!
  • Sid-Nice 27 Jan 2014 11:22:48 15,852 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Another Nintendo clickbait article from Eurogamer; more like.

NNID Sid-Nice

• nickthegun 27 Jan 2014 11:24:25 59,425 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. The most successful sites tend to write articles no one wants to click on.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Armoured_Bear 27 Jan 2014 11:26:07 10,569 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Another Nintendo clickbait article from Eurogamer; more like.
    While the "secret dev" artickle was terrible clickbait with utterly obsolete information, Oli's is pretty reasonable and makes some good points IMO.

• midnight_walker 27 Jan 2014 11:26:22 1,924 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've got a real hankering for a Wii U, but now that they were just 180 the other day, I don't particularly want to pay more than that for one. And also, I predict a price cut on the horizon. So why am I still tempted?
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Jan 2014 11:28:41 10,569 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    midnight_walker wrote:
    I've got a real hankering for a Wii U, but now that they were just 180 the other day, I don't particularly want to pay more than that for one. And also, I predict a price cut on the horizon. So why am I still tempted?
    Bcause you fancy the games and can't be arsed waiting for the next price drop?

• JiveHound 27 Jan 2014 11:29:47 2,410 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Winter blues, general game drought.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• neilka 27 Jan 2014 11:30:05 15,847 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    midnight_walker wrote:
    Have you received any blunt force trauma to the head recently?

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Armoured_Bear 27 Jan 2014 11:31:51 10,569 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    What drought?

• midnight_walker 27 Jan 2014 11:34:27 1,924 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    It may be partly that. Also the Mrs said 'why don't you just get one then?' when I mentioned it to her, with no more from me than 'I'm umming and aahing about getting a Wii U'. I'm not used to that kind of freedom and I suspect she's planning something. It's too easy.

If there's no deal or price cut by the end of Feb I may just splurge.

Edited by midnight_walker at 11:35:09 27-01-2014
  • DFawkes 27 Jan 2014 11:39:18 22,780 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there something in particular she fancies that she's not letting on? I don't know her, so have no idea if she's a gamer or not, but there are Wii U versions of a lot of the Wii staples now, like Wii Fit U, WIi Sports and Wii Party. Maybe she saw an ad for one and is nudging you to get one so she can blame you if you don't enjoy it ;)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Page

of 1356 First / Last