Wii U Page 1113

  • Page

    of 1519 First / Last

  • nickthegun 20 Jan 2014 12:38:36 63,437 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    No Mario on smartphones says Iwata
    You can certainly see his point. The only arm of nintendo that is doing alright is the handheld one. The minute they start putting games on other handheld platforms, they immediately start to cannibalise their market.

    Having said that, I cant really see how putting Super Mario Land on the iPhone would automatically result in the destruction of the 3Ds.
  • Ror Friendliest Forumite, 2014 20 Jan 2014 12:39:07 5,408 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @joelstinton They gave it a shot with Metroid: Other M and most hated it. Gameplay-wise I loved it, and I didn't mind the story. The cutscenes looked excellent, at least.

    I know it was co-developed with Team Ninja, but it felt like Nintendo trying to experiment with more in-depth storytelling.
  • Pinky_Floyd 20 Jan 2014 12:39:42 9,651 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    No Mario on smartphones says Iwata
    You can certainly see his point. The only arm of nintendo that is doing alright is the handheld one. The minute they start putting games on other handheld platforms, they immediately start to cannibalise their market.

    Having said that, I cant really see how putting Super Mario Land on the iPhone would automatically result in the destruction of the 3Ds.
    They should put the older, more shit games on to the phones. Oh, hang on, that's the current VC strategy......
  • SamNunn92 20 Jan 2014 12:46:12 499 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Agreed, they do seem to make some questionable decisions (anyone remember when you couldn't even view, let alone buy, 18 rated games on the eShop unless it was between 11pm-4am?).

    But then again they make the odd genius move, like pulling a Beyonce and announcing Earthbound was available to buy immediately after its reveal. So who knows.
  • Murbs 20 Jan 2014 12:57:24 22,857 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mario 3D World 29.95 at Game Collection here. Also picked up Trine 2 from eshop which is reduced to 5.49 at present.

    Get me and my WiiU backlog!
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Jan 2014 12:59:57 13,865 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Mario 3D World 29.95 at Game Collection here. Also picked up Trine 2 from eshop which is reduced to 5.49 at present.

    Get me and my WiiU backlog!
    You'll shit yourself at how good SM3DW is, it's truly incredible.
  • prawnking1980 20 Jan 2014 13:01:13 6,529 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have got 14 games in the two months I have had it, backlog galore!
  • Pinky_Floyd 20 Jan 2014 13:01:55 9,651 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks to MH3U, my backlog is on hold for the forseeable future.
  • neilka Funniest Forumite, 2014 20 Jan 2014 13:06:21 16,956 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SamNunn92 wrote:
    But then again they make the odd genius move, like pulling a Beyonce and announcing Earthbound was available to buy immediately after its reveal. So who knows.
    Beyonce didn't announce that she'd just released an album of 20 year old material though.
  • ecu 20 Jan 2014 13:16:16 77,756 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    No Mario on smartphones says Iwata
    I get the impression Nintendo would rather pack in making games altogether than release Mario on another format.
  • SamNunn92 20 Jan 2014 13:25:47 499 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @neilka good point. However, Earthbound was something that fans had been clamouring for for ages (like the album) & dropping it by surprise like that must have got lots of people very excited/happy/moist, therefore increasing interest and potential sales.

    As I said though, not all their decisions are this strategic.
  • Raiko101 20 Jan 2014 15:19:47 7,873 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't think Earthbound's release was strategic. More like an experiment to see how successful sudden launches might be. As it is, Nintendo have done more of it lately. Games like Steamworld Dig and NES Remix have appeared straight after Nintendo Directs.
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Jan 2014 21:58:27 13,865 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Progguitarist 20 Jan 2014 22:11:00 10,648 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If only there was a Mario 3D World thread...
  • mikew1985 20 Jan 2014 23:15:43 13,460 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why are you posting fairly unremarkable Mario screenshots as if they are something to behold?
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Jan 2014 23:17:27 13,865 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Why are you posting fairly unremarkable Mario screenshots as if they are something to behold?
    I like them, I think they're pretty.
    I'll move them to the other thread though.
  • mikew1985 20 Jan 2014 23:20:38 13,460 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Why are you posting fairly unremarkable Mario screenshots as if they are something to behold?
    I like them, I think they're pretty.
    I'll move them to the other thread though.
    They look fine but are quite empty and nothing spectacular from a technical perspective. You seem to be over egging the pudding a bit.

    The best technical accomplishment of that game would seem to be one which cannot be communicated in static screenshots.
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Jan 2014 23:22:39 13,865 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Why are you posting fairly unremarkable Mario screenshots as if they are something to behold?
    I like them, I think they're pretty.
    I'll move them to the other thread though.
    They look fine but are quite empty and nothing spectacular from a technical perspective. You seem to be over egging the pudding a bit.

    The best technical accomplishment of that game would seem to be one which cannot be communicated in static screenshots.
    I never said they're spectacular from a technical perspective, I just think they look nice and I'm enjoying playing the game, no big deal.
  • Pinky_Floyd 21 Jan 2014 09:06:18 9,651 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Argos are doing the Wii U Premium with Nintendoland for 179.99

    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9128842.htm

    For delivery or collection - my local store has them.
  • Deleted user 21 January 2014 09:40:44
    A bargain at that price. I got mine as an xmas present in 2012, when i think the premium was around 280 - 320 depending on the package.
  • brigadier 21 Jan 2014 10:34:45 237 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So tempting.... Really want to buy it even though I don't live in England anymore and it'll be a pain in the arse to ship over.

    The price though! The price!!
  • Deleted user 21 January 2014 10:39:31
    It will just get cheaper and cheaper now. I remember Gamecubes absolutely plummeting in price after about 18 months or so, and that was doing way better than the WiiU.
  • nickthegun 21 Jan 2014 10:42:44 63,437 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im fairly sure I picked up my gamecube for 70-80 quid from argos bundled with Mario kart.
  • Pinky_Floyd 21 Jan 2014 10:45:04 9,651 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It will just get cheaper and cheaper now. I remember Gamecubes absolutely plummeting in price after about 18 months or so, and that was doing way better than the WiiU.
    There's less overhead for price drops on the Wii U though because of the cost of the gamepad.
  • nickthegun 21 Jan 2014 10:45:56 63,437 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll probably pick one up when they get rid of the gamepad.
  • neilka Funniest Forumite, 2014 21 Jan 2014 10:50:17 16,956 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When I bought Mario Smash Football it came with a free Gamecube.
  • Murbs 21 Jan 2014 10:59:23 22,857 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I'll probably pick one up when they get rid of the gamepad.
    Why? I really like the gamepad. I know it doesn't offer massive benefits as a second screen and the battery life is short but I still find it additive to the experience.
  • DFawkes 21 Jan 2014 11:03:54 25,486 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I always assumed they'd already written off the Wii U financially, and were pretty much using it as R&D for HD development. Get a Mario Kart and whatever else out of the door and make some money back, whilst not officially abandoning it. I don't mind at all of course, already enough games for me even if they only do Mario Kart.
  • Page

    of 1519 First / Last

Log in or register to reply