Wii U Page 1076

• Page

of 1212 First / Last

• rock27gr 8 Dec 2013 10:00:38 5,424 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It probably will be great, but unveiling Cranky as a playable character, with the Pogo-stick mechanic lifted straight from DuckTales? Not so hot.

And another platformer is a bit of overkiil indeed. New Mario, New Luigi,3D Mario and Rayman in one year are enough, they really should have focused on providing something else.

But I guess it was probably faster having the Retro team produce more Donkey Kong levels than revive another franchise or create a new IP for the Wii U.
  • JiveHound 8 Dec 2013 10:43:07 2,141 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm not surprised at all. Nintendo have done the same thing with every announcement. Done exactly what is expected. They haven't dazzled at all with each subsequent showing. For an industry and a company so reliant on hype it's bewildering. It's also the third big Nintendo release that does nothing with the mooted capabilities of the gamepad. Is it just going to be a minigame device?

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• JiveHound 8 Dec 2013 10:44:20 2,141 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I think I'm a bit butt-hurt because Mario 3d isn't doing it for me like I thought it would.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Deleted user 8 December 2013 10:53:31
    Post deleted
  • rock27gr 8 Dec 2013 11:06:53 5,424 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    It's also the third big Nintendo release that does nothing with the mooted capabilities of the gamepad. Is it just going to be a minigame device?
    I guess by now the gamepas should really only be seen as an off-tv play machine. Any other game inclusion is only a bonus save a few exceptions, like in ZombiU.

It's like Nintendo's own Kinnect.
  • Raiko101 8 Dec 2013 11:07:58 5,527 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think Donkey Kong is the in the right place at the wrong time. The last one was an amazing game. Far superior to the originals. I'm glad they're following it up with a new one. It's just a shame they've gone platform mad in the past 12 months.

At least Nintendo tend to avoid making sequels to such games on the same platform, too often. So hopefully we'll see some more variety in 2014.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• rock27gr 8 Dec 2013 11:11:56 5,424 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Exactly. Would be more welcome come 2015, or nearer Christmas 2014. It's be better if they released something in a different genre; but as I said, it was probably much faster to release this, than spend time on something entirely from scratch.
  • Raiko101 8 Dec 2013 11:13:52 5,527 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @rock27gr It's going that way, but it still has a little more use than Kinect. It's a nice navigation tool for the system itself (especially Miiverse and the web browser), and it makes a great local multiplayer tool (splitcreen over two displays). Off-TV play will still the most useful feature for most, though.

• FatSternKikwi 8 Dec 2013 19:03:45 274 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah the only genre the Wii U doesn't need more of is platformers. Donkey kong looks great but i can't see myself wanting to play it next year.

That said one of my flatmates is really hyped for it. But couldnt care less about Mario 3d world
  • Raiko101 8 Dec 2013 19:08:00 5,527 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Isn't EAD Tokyo split into a number of teams, though? The team who worked on the first Galaxy game didn't work on the second one. Although the group who worked on the second also worked on 3D Land and 3D World? At least that's what I think i've read, somewhere. Either way, they're quite a different prospect to other development companies.

I wonder what the first group are working on at the moment.

• Youthist 8 Dec 2013 19:11:06 9,896 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well I bought a wii u on launch day and it still sits unopened in my office......we are cracking it open on Xmas day for the kids as the "family console". I have been totally apathetic toward the machine but still looking forward to finally getting it out of the box at least. Got wii party u, Nintendo land and nsmb u thus far to start off.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Raiko101 8 Dec 2013 19:15:33 5,527 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maybe your family will enjoy it, but I found Wii Party U to be quite underwhelming. Nintendo Land is a far superior party game. It's a lot more involving and a lot more competitive. Wii Party was alright, but it's really just another Mario Party game and although there is some humour, interaction remains as shallow as ever.

Have you got enough controllers for the whole family?

• Youthist 8 Dec 2013 19:18:00 9,896 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah for 3 wii motes and nun chucks already from wii, and then u get a wii mote with wii u party so I think I am ok there.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• jambii267 8 Dec 2013 21:35:31 1,306 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    New Super Mario Bros U, or whatever it's called is a fantastic game. I hope you enjoy it!

Certainly a step above the others in the "New" Mario series, In fact I'd say it's on par with Super Mario World.

NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

• Ryze 8 Dec 2013 23:01:45 3,107 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Youthist

Crack it open asap and get the patches downloaded and installed, or you'll be in for some waiting on xmas day.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 9 Dec 2013 00:20:37 11,114 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I got NSMB Wii U and Wii Party U free in a bundle and was underwhelmed completely by both.

Now, I grant you, I've only played the first few levels of NSMB Wii U, so I probably haven't given it a fair shake, but compared to the magic of 3D World which was an absolute orgy of shit in EVERY. SINGLE. LEVEL, NSMB Wii U was a by the numbers left to right platformer thus far. Not in the same league as 3D world, or Donkey kong returns, or Kirby's Epic Yarn or even Rayman.

In other news, I've been playing Zelda Skyward Sword (which I had barely started before abandoning it for my PS3) which I think I like, and I've learned to like Pikmin 3 more simply by not caring when my pikmin inevitably die.

I think that the only way you can keep them all alive is by playing ridiculously conservatively, and restarting when you get a bad run, but that would take forever and suck all of the fun out of the game. 1 and 2 allowed you to keep them alive through skill, and fine control. I miss those days. I know I'm moaning too much, but I really wish they hadn't removed the ability to control the pikmin formation with the right analogue. Controls are so important in an action RTS...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• TheRealBadabing 9 Dec 2013 00:35:30 1,196 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Raiko101 Agree with you on Party, Nintendoland is by far the better game. My lot loved Party on the old Wii but Party U hasn't had a look in after our day one play. Ghost Mansion, Pikmin and Zelda mini-games are perfect family fodder.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 9 Dec 2013 01:17:24 11,114 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I am very very close to throwing a few quid down on Nintendoland and Zombie U. I've also spotted a gamecube for a tenner in Sapporo, and I already have memory, games and controllers, so I'll be flogging my old Wii some day soon.

I've actually been having a bit of a love affair with old Wii games recently, on the Wii U. They're still good. :)

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• lavalant 9 Dec 2013 10:34:30 1,247 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've just caved and bought the mario mega bundle, I'm selling my old Wii and will get rid of LuigiU to minimize the damange.

Does anyone know where the cheapest place to order a pro controller is? I can see they are 40 on amazon but 20 from hong kong sellers on ebay but would these be fake?
  • cheeky_prawnking 9 Dec 2013 10:41:19 3,794 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If it is like the bundle I got Luigi U is on the same disc as NSMBU.
  • vyseofhr 9 Dec 2013 10:54:16 802 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Link to the Past is out on Wii U VC this week.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• Raiko101 9 Dec 2013 16:11:43 5,527 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    OK, so i've put a fair few hours into Assassin's Creed 4 on Wii U and it's growing on me. The frame rate isn't great, but it's far from unplayable. I'm not sure I could recommend this version over the other current-gen versions. I've no idea how dramatic the differences in frame rates are. It sounds a lot, but it might not actually look like a lot.

For what it's worth, the game runs smoothly enough at sea, on small islands and in small towns. Where it becomes noticeably less smooth is in the more busy towns. I'm not sure why this is, because it doesn't appear to be doing anything visually more taxing than in Assassin's Creed 3. At least not that I can remember.

Having said that, you will absolutely notice a difference if you're playing Super Mario 3D World along side it. That game runs as smooth as butter. I didn't appreciate that fact until I started playing AC4, but the game could be worse I suppose. It's still acceptable.

The one thing I do really like about the Wii U version is the Gamepad support. Whilst not essential, you the map displayed on the second screen, along with the entire HUD, much like with AC3. Not much has changed, but you can now zoom in and out of that map at any point, which makes finding the collectables and side missions all the more easy. You also have 'quick-buttons' for treasure maps and such, which help speed things up.

The downside to this is that the frame rate for the map/radar is very poor. Don't look at it whilst in motion. It'll confuse the pants off of you.

Edited by Raiko101 at 16:37:11 09-12-2013

• vyseofhr 9 Dec 2013 16:20:34 802 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with the capabilities of the machine at all, to be honest. It's just that Ubisoft can't be bothered to adequately resource the development (absolutely understandably, imo)and it's a shoddily patched together port that can just about pass as a retail product.

Some of the beautiful touches in Mario show just how far ahead of the last-gen twins the machine can go when it's put to good use. It's not Xbone or PS4 standard, but it can produce beautiful games. Unfortunately, as with most Nintendo consoles (rightly or wrongly), it's ultimately only first party games that will get any sort of care and attention lavished on them.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• DFawkes 9 Dec 2013 16:26:28 22,051 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Not much has changed, but you can now zoom in and out of that map at any point, which makes finding the collectables and side missions all the more easy.
    This is the thing I really wanted, so thank goodness it's in :) AC3 with it's fixed zoom was okay but I'd really have loved to be able to zoom out a bit at times.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• MrFlay 9 Dec 2013 16:56:48 342 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    vyseofhr wrote:
    Link to the Past is out on Wii U VC this week.
    Best news I've heard in weeks.
  • ResidentKnievel 9 Dec 2013 19:59:17 5,871 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oh dear

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• ResidentKnievel 9 Dec 2013 20:01:37 5,871 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought those were worldwide numbers at first but they're US numbers so don't paint a 100% accurate picture of the situation, but it's still pretty bad.

Also shows what a tragedy the GC and DC's failure was, they had so many great games (that were fresh experiences at the time) in their first year and were so cheap, why did no one buy them :(

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 20:06:46 09-12-2013

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• jellyBelly 9 Dec 2013 21:08:55 323 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One of the most confusing plots Ive ever seen, don't really get how the (two?) timescales on the x-axis work. In any case, unfortunately the US is Nintendo biggest market by volume. Hopefully things improve with the cumulative effect of recent and upcoming games.

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• nickthegun 9 Dec 2013 21:16:10 55,848 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What happens in september to give them all bumps?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Page

of 1212 First / Last