Wii U Page 1043

  • Page

    of 1348 First / Last

  • DFawkes 18 Nov 2013 13:02:14 22,618 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd be surprised if there was even online play, to be honest. I might like my Nintendo, but (please understand) their understanding of the internet is still in the 90s at best.

    I don't mind of course as I quite enjoy the online games I do have, mostly Mass Effect 3 at the moment, but Nintendo just aren't fussy about it with the exception of Mario Kart. That just makes it all the more frustration to be honest, as you know they could implement online multiplayer, but keep choosing not to. I get that it's really supposed to be a same room experience, but would it kill them to give us the option to play with people online?

    I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

  • Armoured_Bear 18 Nov 2013 13:09:14 10,312 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    He can't bitch about dissenting voices and then tell people who see him as a dissenting voice himself to just ignore him.

    And if I had to go all the way back to the previous page to respond to him, he had to go back months to dredge up me talking about the WiiU mario game starting out as a 3DS game. Which is true, by the way.
    Stop taking shite.

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • DFawkes 18 Nov 2013 13:27:26 22,618 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fantastic, new page, no reason for any more drama... oh. Come on now, if just one of you 2 drop it, it's over. It'd just be one man shouting at a wall. Please. Again, I know I'm not the boss of anyone, I'm just politely requesting that you please stop it, just to make the thread a more enjoyable read for everyone else.

    I was thinking yesterday as I was playing my Wii U that I really wouldn't like to play most the the Wii U games I own without the Gamepad. Sure, almost every use of it is totally unoriginal and uninspired, but having the map or inventory right there is so handy I can't imagine not having it. In Mass Effect 3, it makes it easier to keep track of your teammates and shift them about. In Wind Waker and Arkham City, the map is a fantastic tool that presents the stop/start I'd get having to hit a map button. I got Arkham City in that recent humble bundle, but just wouldn't play it without that handy map. It became second nature so quickly that anything else just feels a bit off.

    I really hope that Sony make the most of the Vita in the same way. If anything, it should end up better as you could have the Vita do it's own processing, so it has the potential to be amazing. Sure, there's no guarantee people will own both Vita and PS4 like a Wii U owner has to have a Gamepad, but with a million PS4 already out there, I reckon the Vita could sell better if there are good reasons to own both. Remote play, a function I already love on Wii U, seems to be really well supported, plus as far as I know, you can use it online. That alone gives it the edge there.

    Same to an extent with SmartGlass. I really do feel that having a second screen is something they should all be capitalising on. Maybe they will, or maybe they won't. I just hope they do :)

    I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

  • Kay 18 Nov 2013 14:11:34 17,762 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One thing I'd forgotten, is the OS still slow? I remember it being heavily criticised at launch, but I'm guessing patches have since improved matters.

    /still waiting for a bundle price drop

    Was considering getting the NSMBU bundle offer from GAME, but that voucher code website thingy never worked. :(

    Edited by Kay at 14:12:12 18-11-2013
  • DFawkes 18 Nov 2013 14:16:33 22,618 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The OS is pretty good now. Much faster than it was, certainly faster to get into a game than any other console I've used. The loading times for the games themselves is another story (mostly Lego City and Blacklist).

    Shame that code thing didn't work for you, but I'm sure there's be more deals as time goes on. There are always deals. DEALS.

    I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

  • Armoured_Bear 18 Nov 2013 14:18:11 10,312 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    One thing I'd forgotten, is the OS still slow? I remember it being heavily criticised at launch, but I'm guessing patches have since improved matters.

    /still waiting for a bundle price drop

    Was considering getting the NSMBU bundle offer from GAME, but that voucher code website thingy never worked. :(
    Yeah, they did a big update that significantly improved the speed and there's a long overdue 2nd update to improve the speed again that's months overdue....

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • Raiko101 18 Nov 2013 15:19:05 6,092 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You mean the one that came out at the very end of September? That was the 2nd major update.

    Edited by Raiko101 at 15:19:38 18-11-2013

    3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

  • Armoured_Bear 18 Nov 2013 15:32:55 10,312 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    You mean the one that came out at the very end of September? That was the 2nd major update.
    Sure about that?
    I thought there was a 2nd speed related update still awaited...

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • Raiko101 18 Nov 2013 15:37:51 6,092 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm pretty sure. They mentioned 2 updates. Both which were meant to fix loading issues. The first did, quite considerably, but the second did next to nothing. However, it was most definitely the 2nd major update they spoke of. The one they said would arrive before the end of September.

    3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

  • Pinky_Floyd 18 Nov 2013 15:53:40 7,463 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sonic demo now up on EU.
  • Raiko101 18 Nov 2013 15:57:09 6,092 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is it the same one that mislead gamers at various gaming expo's over the past 6 months?

    Edited by Raiko101 at 15:58:31 18-11-2013

    3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

  • Rhaegyr 18 Nov 2013 15:58:18 1,441 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Decided to bite the bullet and picked up the Premium Bundle w/LEGO Undercover and Rayman Legends for 250 for my older brother from Amazon.

    Hope he's not too burned out on GTA V to enjoy LEGO and he loved Origins so I've no doubt he'll like Legends (can't wait to play it myself, tbh).

    Normally he'd get a pint or something for his car but it's his 30th so I decided to splash a little. It also means I can pop round to his house on the pre-text of a random visit and hog it :D

    Edited by Rhaegyr at 15:58:48 18-11-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Nov 2013 16:17:53 10,312 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure. They mentioned 2 updates. Both which were meant to fix loading issues. The first did, quite considerably, but the second did next to nothing. However, it was most definitely the 2nd major update they spoke of. The one they said would arrive before the end of September.
    Aha, as it didn't provide the further speed improvements they has suggested, I asuumed that the 2nd speed improvement was coming later :-(

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • lavalant 18 Nov 2013 17:35:58 1,266 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Christ when are they going to lower the price on this thing, I thought they'd take the shine off PS4 and Xbox one launch by reducing to 150, I'd bite at 199 but I want a pro controller, game and a bigger battery included.
  • KingOfSpain 18 Nov 2013 17:39:22 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got a Wii? Game will give you 50 trade in for it when buying a Wii U with either Mario and Luigi, Zelda WW or Lego City - meaning you'll get a Wii U with a game for 199.

    Offer ends at the end of the month.
  • Rhaegyr 18 Nov 2013 17:42:13 1,441 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fuck.
  • Deleted user 18 November 2013 17:44:06
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    SG59 wrote:
    @Rhaegyr I said I liked Kameo. Didn't say it was the best or anything. I don't see where you've got the idea of it being re-hashed though.

    Mario is just blatant in its approach. Same characters, same enemies, same uninspiring logic to complete the game. Meh.
    I consider it rehashed as I played nearly all of RARE's output in the N64 era and playing Kameo it was noticable that it borrowed liberally from a ton of their franchises, especially mechanics-wise. Let's not forget that ShadowCaster did the whole shapes-shifting thing back in 1993 on the PC, too.

    I never insinuated you thought Kameo was stellar ('liked' was the term I used, too), I merely stated I find it confusing that you dislike Mario for bringing nothing new to the table outside one or two gimmicks (a dubious claim) but enjoy a game that's a blend of four or five others.

    Also - 'same uninspiring logic to complete the game'. What - platforming? Who'd have thought, eh?

    Edit - Maybe we should move this discussion to another thread. As somebody has already pointed out, we're debating the merits of Nintendo/MS titles in the PS4 thread :)
    I never played all of Rare's games back then as I was only young. If you say there's a lot of re-hashing, then I'll have to take your word for it. For obvious reasons though, I'm sure you see why I don't see it.

    The reason I preferred it to Mario though as the world and formula around it, is not the same thing over and over. It stretches beyond just the basic platforming mechanics and tries new things.
  • lavalant 18 Nov 2013 17:49:13 1,266 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    Got a Wii? Game will give you 50 trade in for it when buying a Wii U with either Mario and Luigi, Zelda WW or Lego City - meaning you'll get a Wii U with a game for 199.

    Offer ends at the end of the month.
    That sounds like a good deal but then I have to rebuy the Wiimote for 35, unless they take the Wii without the Wiimote, or does the WiiU come with one?
  • Rhaegyr 18 Nov 2013 17:55:06 1,441 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I agree that you can't really notice it if you haven't played RARE's back catalogue, but by the same logic you can't say it tries anything new either without looking at its predecessors and how they played.

    If we were talking about NSMB series I'd wholeheartedly agree about that formula being well-worn, however Mario Galaxy is a different kettle of fish - the level design is fantastic, the platforming is water-tight and responsive and from an audio-visual perspective it's frankly stunning. You say it's a case of 'same old, same old' - I can't really agree with that when SMG1 & 2 would introduce a mechanic at least every few levels (some of them strong enough to build a whole game around) and then discard it and move onto the next ones.

    It's an absolute triumph of game design, though I doubt I can convince you.
  • KingOfSpain 18 Nov 2013 17:56:51 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @lavalant Not sure to be honest. If you dont have a Wii to trade in, or if you dont want to trade in your remotes there is a good deal found a page or two back.
  • RyanDS 18 Nov 2013 17:59:19 9,067 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:however Mario Galaxy is a different kettle of fish - the level design is fantastic, the platforming is water-tight and responsive
    I would disagree. The wii mote made everything so woolly and unresponsive it really detracted from the game. It would have been so much better if you would use a normal pad for it, there was no reason it needed the waggle.
  • Rhaegyr 18 Nov 2013 18:01:27 1,441 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Rhaegyr wrote:however Mario Galaxy is a different kettle of fish - the level design is fantastic, the platforming is water-tight and responsive
    I would disagree. The wii mote made everything so woolly and unresponsive it really detracted from the game. It would have been so much better if you would use a normal pad for it, there was no reason it needed the waggle.
    Really? I only remember using it sparingly to grab star bits and do the spin attack; 95% of the time it was simply the analogue stick and the jump button, tearing through levels.
  • Kay 18 Nov 2013 18:10:33 17,762 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's always a minority.
  • Deleted user 18 November 2013 18:18:50
    Tell you what, I'll give it another go. See if I can get to into it this time. If it doesn't, maybe its just one of those games that doesn't click with me.

    It might be because I prefer games with more story driven charatcers and worlds.

    Edited by SG59 at 18:20:51 18-11-2013
  • Pinky_Floyd 18 Nov 2013 18:18:52 7,463 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Waggle was only used for spinning. Rest of the controls were traditional. Wooly and unresponsive? Nah.
  • jambii267 18 Nov 2013 18:19:54 1,364 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    People will complain about the Wii mote for all of eternity, because they are lazy and need something desperately to complain about.

    NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

  • RyanDS 18 Nov 2013 18:23:47 9,067 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jambii267 wrote:
    People will complain about the Wii mote for all of eternity, because they are lazy and need something desperately to complain about.
    Or because it was rubbish.*

    There is a reason that the best games on the system tended to be bundled with classic controllers.

    *For "proper games**" that is. For stuff like wii sports it was amazing.

    **I cant think of the proper term for non party games.
  • Deleted user 18 November 2013 18:26:03
    To be fair, the Wii motes don't work for every game. Opting to use it as a normal controller wasnt a pleasant experience either. It's murder on the fingers.
  • MiniAmin 18 Nov 2013 18:33:15 3,390 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    MiniAmin wrote:
    @Sharzam

    I'm not sure how accurate this info is, or how reputable this website is, but:

    "The Wii U doesn't upscale Wii games with component cables, but does upscale with HDMI cables."

    Taken from: http://www.cubed3.com/news/17666/1/wii-u-upscale-explained-wii-games-do-in-europe-with-hdmi-doesnt-up-render.html#.UolUxlWnwuo
    Before any potential purchasers get too excited, we're not talking Dolphin-style rendering of Wii games at a higher resolution. Wii games will still look largely the same as if playing on a Wii, but the image might be slightly cleaner, and the colours better, due to the superior HDMI signal.

    Thanks for clarifying this Kay!
  • Pinky_Floyd 18 Nov 2013 21:43:31 7,463 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Couldnt find sonic demo on the shop. Durnit.
  • Page

    of 1348 First / Last

Log in or register to reply