Wii U Page 1042

• Page

of 1346 First / Last

• nickthegun 15 Nov 2013 13:37:03 58,784 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is, by all accounts, harder to find than you might think.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• acousticwilliam 15 Nov 2013 15:02:39 778 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Up to the snow world in NSMBU. Wii U is warming to me like a cozy blanket. Wind Waker came in the post today. Maybe I'm an idiot for doing that when I've got ALBW coming next week and then Mario 3D World after that.

Still, that's pretty damn solid. 3D World, Wind Waker and Smash Bros basically justify it as a purchase. Would rather have 4 fully-fledged games than 20 half-arsed attempts.

Anyway, it's all rosy.

NNID: Willum

• Raiko101 15 Nov 2013 15:24:22 6,062 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd strongly recommend Nintendo Land and Pikmin 3, if you do start to look around.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• specialgamer 15 Nov 2013 17:02:45 117 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What are the best games on Wii Party U and are any of them as fun as Mario Chase on Nintendoland?
  • Erek 15 Nov 2013 17:38:00 221 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm really enjoying Pikmin 3. I was always going to as I was a big fan of the others. Currently enjoying the gamepad as a way to set 'go to' points for team members - good stuff.

One thing though, in both P3 and NSMBU the music is very underwhelming. P3 seems to have gone all ambient (nothing to match the brilliance of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k3uHxJ7mrQ) and NSMBU just can't seem to spin a (new )classic tune.

Edited by jonathanlealand at 17:40:33 15-11-2013
  • Frogofdoom 15 Nov 2013 17:44:09 869 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    specialgamer wrote:
    What are the best games on Wii Party U and are any of them as fun as Mario Chase on Nintendoland?
    catch the sneak is awesome, but i cant remember how we unlocked it.
  • MiniAmin 16 Nov 2013 10:15:15 3,390 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd

Thanks for Super Smash Bros! I received it earlier this week.

I think I must be going mad: I'm certain I thanked you the day I received it, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Anyway, thanks! Much appreciated!
  • Pinky_Floyd 16 Nov 2013 10:26:56 7,381 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @MiniAmin enjoy :)
  • MiniAmin 16 Nov 2013 10:35:56 3,390 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago

It's funny - since I've had my Wii U I've only been playing Wii games, and they've really changed my perspective on gaming and my relationship with gaming. I thought I was getting bored with gaming, but now I think I was getting bored with genres I've confined myself too in recent years.

SMG is just brilliant (sorry to go on about it again!) my face hurts from smiling after I play it, it just makes me happy. The prospect of playing games like: Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros Wii U feels me with glee. Initially I bought this console as an opportunistic grab, but I think it'll be my main console until I get a PS4 sometime next year / 2015

#ineedtogetablog
  • Telepathic.Geometry 17 Nov 2013 07:31:24 11,263 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was within an inch of buying a Wii U there yesterday. Only the price put me off at the last second. If the price had been within impulse buy range, I'd be playing pikmin now.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Punctum 17 Nov 2013 07:44:03 931 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @MiniAmin

How are you finding the Wii's SD graphics on the big screen? Tempted to pick up some old classics myself.
  • Pinky_Floyd 17 Nov 2013 07:53:47 7,381 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Punctum wrote:
    @MiniAmin

How are you finding the Wii's SD graphics on the big screen? Tempted to pick up some old classics myself.
    Quite good, they seem to get a boost just from using HDMI.  Have tried quite a few and been pleasantly surprised.  The best looking have been Metroid Prime Trilogy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. 

Probably helps that Im using a plasma too. 
  • MiniAmin 17 Nov 2013 09:16:41 3,390 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Punctum wrote:
    @MiniAmin

Certainly better than they were on the Wii. I couldn't play Wii games (using a Wii) on my TV because the images on the screen looked distorted and stretched, and colours looked washed out. Using the WiiU, connected by HDMI, the graphics seem much better suited for a widescreen TV, and the colours seem sharper. With that being said, the jaggies are still pretty bad.

All in all, I find Wii's SD graphics competent. I suspect you'll be fine provided you don't expect a glossy, upscaled picture. It's well worth it for dipping into the Wii's cheap, quality catalogue imo.
  • Erek 17 Nov 2013 12:25:52 221 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm desperate to play Skyward sword on WU. I bought it once with a new WII but played on my new HD screen it look dreadful. Now with WU I'm hoping it will look acceptable through the backwards compatibility..
  • jambii267 17 Nov 2013 13:25:58 1,362 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Wii U will only upscale Wii games if you use HDMI, sadly not through component.

I tested this with Skyward sword. Noticeably sharper and colours are deeper.

NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

• MrFlay 17 Nov 2013 16:04:18 545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you're playing Wii games on your HDTV, be sure to use Game mode and turn off all the post-processing functions.
  • Punctum 17 Nov 2013 17:19:19 931 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @MiniAmin

That sounds good enough for me
  • jambii267 17 Nov 2013 18:36:47 1,362 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MrFlay wrote:
    If you're playing Wii games on your HDTV, be sure to use Game mode and turn off all the post-processing functions.
    You could say that about playing ANY games :p.

NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

• MrFlay 17 Nov 2013 18:41:37 545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @jambii267

True but it can make standard def stuff look more dreadful than necessary.
  • Sharzam 17 Nov 2013 22:22:10 2,698 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh I thought the WiiU in Wii mode made it look just like a Wii with component cables. Does it upscale from 480p to 1080p then? You make it sound like if you use HDMI then the WiiU is better than a Wii.

Does it compete with Dolphin then for upscaling as that's glorious.

Iam currently working my way thourgh my backlog which includes a ton of Wii games. Some games really do look bad on my TV, with so many jaggies. Ive been thinking about a WiiU for weeks (as you can probably see in this thread)but I decided against it due to my huge backlog but this could be a good excuse.

Edited by Sharzam at 22:37:36 17-11-2013

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• MiniAmin 17 Nov 2013 23:47:25 3,390 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Sharzam

I'm not sure how accurate this info is, or how reputable this website is, but:

"The Wii U doesn't upscale Wii games with component cables, but does upscale with HDMI cables."

Taken from: http://www.cubed3.com/news/17666/1/wii-u-upscale-explained-wii-games-do-in-europe-with-hdmi-doesnt-up-render.html#.UolUxlWnwuo

• Deleted user 18 November 2013 11:18:12
    Really got into Wii Sports Club Bowling now. Absolutely terrific. Worth the admission fee, frankly. In an ideal world they'd get rid of the 30 seconds thing and make it, say, 20, but all in all; finally, an online game that rewards you properly whether people leave the game or not, is very much welcome.

And yeah, there does seem to be a knack to get an easy strike; but actually it's not a totally straight forward manouever - I was playing some people who were trying to pull it off every throw and for every 1 they got, they balls'd it up 3 or 4 times. I was outstriked but I just plugged away getting 8's and spares and won the game quite convincingly in the end.

So yeah, really can't wait to get some golf and baseball games on the go.
  • Kay 18 Nov 2013 11:24:03 17,761 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MiniAmin wrote:
    @Sharzam

I'm not sure how accurate this info is, or how reputable this website is, but:

"The Wii U doesn't upscale Wii games with component cables, but does upscale with HDMI cables."

Taken from: http://www.cubed3.com/news/17666/1/wii-u-upscale-explained-wii-games-do-in-europe-with-hdmi-doesnt-up-render.html#.UolUxlWnwuo

Before any potential purchasers get too excited, we're not talking Dolphin-style rendering of Wii games at a higher resolution. Wii games will still look largely the same as if playing on a Wii, but the image might be slightly cleaner, and the colours better, due to the superior HDMI signal.
  • acousticwilliam 18 Nov 2013 11:56:38 778 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You all knew this, but Wind Waker HD is glorious. Console purchase justified. An extremely lazy Sunday was had yesterday, 8 hours of Zelda bliss.

NSMBU coin battle with our Mii characters is also creating a poisonous rivalry between my fiance and I.

Gamepad is still making me scratch my head. With Zelda it's sublime, off tv play etc. Otherwise, it's a bit useless.
    My biggest WTF on NSMBU is that you can't have 1 person on the gamepad with the other player on a wiimote - you can only play multiplayer with the wiimotes. Really? Really.

NNID: Willum

• LeoliansBro 18 Nov 2013 12:08:21 43,227 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Stickman wrote:
    Oh look, ecosse is in this thread being a complete dickhead, how original...
    You know where the ignore button is.
    So do you cuntflaps.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• DFawkes 18 Nov 2013 12:11:41 22,592 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Come on man, no point dredging up unpleasantness from the last page. You're better than that, LB. Or at the very least I'd expect a better comeback given the time that's past ;)

I thought you could play 2 player NSMBU with the Gamepad and 1 other in Boost Mode? Not ideal of course, but it's at least an option. It'd certainly have been better if you could've played 2 player normally that way though, so it's a disappointing thing to miss out.

Edited by DFawkes at 12:12:13 18-11-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• LeoliansBro 18 Nov 2013 12:17:13 43,227 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He can't bitch about dissenting voices and then tell people who see him as a dissenting voice himself to just ignore him.

And if I had to go all the way back to the previous page to respond to him, he had to go back months to dredge up me talking about the WiiU mario game starting out as a 3DS game. Which is true, by the way.

• DFawkes 18 Nov 2013 12:54:28 22,592 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I just thought you'd be the better man, that's all. Do what you like, I'm not the boss of you :)

Is it true that it was definitely a 3DS game originally? It was a non-confirmed rumour last time I heard anything. The best I can find on google is someone on another forum just repeating the rumour but saying it was confirmed.

Don't get me wrong, some of the early footage definitely seems to have been far more simplistic, so it's certainly more than probable that it could've been planned for another console at the planning stages, but all the later videos have made it look far better and designed from the ground up as a Wii U game. I'd certainly be surprised if many of the levels still in the game were designed to be in a 3DS game.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• LeoliansBro 18 Nov 2013 12:57:19 43,227 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was picked up by IGN and Edge. Doesn't really matter either way.

Are there voicecomms in the game?

• Kay 18 Nov 2013 12:59:13 17,761 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pretty sure Edge only said it looked like it was originally a 3DS game.

That's irrelevant anyway, we'll find out how good the finished game is tomorrow.
  • Page

of 1346 First / Last