Wii U Page 1034

• Page

of 1363 First / Last

• CompetitiveDad 11 Nov 2013 23:18:56 2,170 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Is it worth purchasing one of these extra life batteries, are they easy to install?
  • DFawkes 11 Nov 2013 23:28:39 22,987 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pretty much plug and play. The battery has a small plug that clips in, so you simply unscrew the cover, take out the old battery, place the new one in place, plug it in and close it up.

I only know that because I watch boring videos like battery fitting though, I've never felt the need for one myself as there's literally no where in my room that the power cable couldn't reach if need be, and I've never played outside my room for the hours it'd take to kill my battery. It'd be a lot handier for people who'll be using it in their living room.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Pinky_Floyd 11 Nov 2013 23:33:34 7,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I want that new battery just for handiness, not a necessity at all and its expensive which is why its on my xmas list so hopefully someone else will buy it for me :)
  • CompetitiveDad 11 Nov 2013 23:44:39 2,170 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @DFawkes thank you sir, I'll pick one up

/tips hat
  • Raiko101 12 Nov 2013 00:25:28 6,315 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've no need for the extra battery myself. My gaming stints aren't long enough to drain the standard battery and I have the cradle plugged in at all times. If i'm not using the Gamepad, it's on the charging cradle.

Obviously you're more likely to drain that battery when you first get your hands on it. I think I managed 60 hours playtime in my first month and I remember having to plug the thing in quite a few times when playing Nintendo Land.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• RageBoy 12 Nov 2013 08:11:45 336 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rumblesushi wrote:

Rageboy, the trick is to use a lint free cloth (like a camera cloth or the kind you get with a TV/monitor), clean the screen like crazy until there are no dust particles, then REALLY quickly whack the screen protector on before any dust can settle on either thing.
    Yeah, that's what I tried but I just wasn't fast enough - my perfect gaming house would include a small room which is utterly dust free.
  • neilka 12 Nov 2013 08:13:26 15,965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    groovemeister?

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• CompetitiveDad 12 Nov 2013 08:24:16 2,170 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @Frogofdoom thanks for the heads up with wowHD, cancelled my order and got a full refund this morning.

Cheers :)
  • Punctum 12 Nov 2013 08:36:42 936 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    So, the WU is arriving at 12:30 (great service from Shopto - only ordered it yesterday at 3pm). Was thinking about picking up ZombieU as it's cheap. Is it worth it? Seems to be a lot of mixed reviews...
  • Pinky_Floyd 12 Nov 2013 09:19:51 7,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it's excellent but that's based on only 1.5 hours play and includes 1 game breaking bug. It's a genuine, scary, innovative survival horror game with good use of the game pad. Graphics are decent (lighting is excellent) and the game won't namby pamby you. I hear that later on there is a bit of repetition. Given that it's a tenner in most places, it's a shoe in as there isn't really else currently out there quite like it.
  • DFawkes 12 Nov 2013 09:23:04 22,987 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's great as long as you go in realising a couple of thing. For one, it's a survival horror, so for the love of all that is holy do not expect it to be a first person shooter. Expect resource scarcity, stuff jumping out at you, tense sections trying to move around zombies and most likely a lot of dying.

The second thing is to remember it is a launch game so it can be a bit rough around the edges. Keep those in mind and I think you'll enjoy it. At least I hope you do :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Pinky_Floyd 12 Nov 2013 09:25:15 7,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @MiniAmin Dude, your free super smash bros is in the post - enjoy.
  • DFawkes 12 Nov 2013 09:39:40 22,987 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not that anyone cares, but Project Cars dev Martin Griffiths has been saying some things about developing on Wii U. Mostly nothing I'd pass on because it's boring, but it's good to know they've actually got it running and it might be released someday! Of the current build, he said:

"The current WiiU build runs around 18-25fps with 5AI with all post (FXAA/Motion blur etc) enabled, which is fairly good given only the fairly cursory optimisation pass that it's had."

I don't know what most of that means, but I'm guessing if little optimisation gets that, we'll be looking at 30fps. I'll believe it's actually coming out when I see it of course as I still have a feeling they'll not bother. I hope it does though, it'd take the number of games with real cars on Wii U all the way up to 2 ;)

Afraid I can't even link to it directly as the forum is members only, it seems.

• Armoured_Bear 12 Nov 2013 09:40:05 11,281 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Punctum wrote:
    So, the WU is arriving at 12:30 (great service from Shopto - only ordered it yesterday at 3pm). Was thinking about picking up ZombieU as it's cheap. Is it worth it? Seems to be a lot of mixed reviews...
    It's well worth a tenner, flawed but interesting.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• DFawkes 12 Nov 2013 10:33:59 22,987 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bad news from the front page - Wii Fit U's release has been delayed. Apparently:

"If you want to keep playing after the trial has expired, you can unlock the time restriction by synching a Fit Meter to the game. The Fit Meter is sold separately, and will be available from 1st November."

So you'll have to wait until the 1st of November, when it will be available. I hope people can enjoy the minus 10 days wait ;) I'd have probably have worded it "The Fit Meter is sold separately, and has been available since 1st November", or perhaps "The Fit Meter is sold separately, and is available now", but I'm not a games journalist so he's probably correct in his phrasing.

Edited by DFawkes at 10:34:11 12-11-2013

• Pinky_Floyd 12 Nov 2013 10:45:51 7,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wii fit u is a lot of fun as well as being half good for you. Once again I have my wii fit meter with me in work to take on my lunchtime run.
  • Sid-Nice 12 Nov 2013 10:46:50 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Eurogamer are so intent to bring us negative Wii U news; they forgot what day it was.

NNID Sid-Nice

• DFawkes 12 Nov 2013 10:50:43 22,987 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do you really need the balance board for Wii Fit U, or can you get by with the Fit Meter? Or more to the point, is it enjoyable with just one bit of kit? I assume you need the board to really get the most out of it, but I realise that it might still be playable enough without it and I've just never asked.

Edited by DFawkes at 10:51:19 12-11-2013

• Pinky_Floyd 12 Nov 2013 10:54:18 7,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It won't work without the board. You can get one cheap by setting up a stock alert on game.co.uk for their pre-owned wii fit with balance board (around 7) then buy when it comes into stock, usually once per week.

Get the fit meter now before the trial runs out, it's only 20 and once you sync it with the trial you get the game for free.

Cheap entry for what is a pretty good bit of software. Then you can join either the public EG gym, or the private one (3 members, woo!).
  • DFawkes 12 Nov 2013 11:00:18 22,987 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Think I'll get the full set on the physical release, probably early next year. I'd never touch a pre-owned board because I've seen the state of the ones that GAME get and I'd eat peas. Also, I hate peas.

Why is Wii Fit U with just the Fit Meter so expensive? You can buy just the Meter to unlock the full game, can't you? Makes 50 seem very pricey, at least as long as the trial unlock thing is still around.

• midi82 12 Nov 2013 11:03:05 673 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You'd be an idiot to buy the boxed version. Might as well download the promo and then for 20 you can unlock it all if you ever fancy it.

Also, It's better as a download because often you just want to do a quick body test and it would be a nightmare having to swap the disc in and out all the time.
  • Malignant 12 Nov 2013 11:04:01 86 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I currently have the white Wii U with 8GB. I have no demos or games downloaded and already I only have 800Mb left. :eek:

I can't believe I've managed to nearly fill my hard drive with patches. :mad:

Anyway, my internet connection is rubbish, so I have no interest in ever downloading full games but it means that I'm also precious with the game patches that I've already downloaded (I never want to delete them).

So obviously I need some external storage but I'm not interested in buying an external hard drive just for game patches. So does anyone recommend any USB sticks that would be perfect for this predicament?

I realise that Nintendo doesn't recommend them (if you're going to use USB sticks for full game downloads) but surely it should be fine for game patches?

So does anyone here have experience of regularly using USB sticks with their Wii U?

• Pinky_Floyd 12 Nov 2013 11:04:46 7,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes, you DEFINITELY want the download version - so handy.
  • DFawkes 12 Nov 2013 11:17:45 22,987 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Yes, you DEFINITELY want the download version - so handy.
    So what I really need is a cheap board. As I say, I'm fussy so I want it new and official. I've got 38.97 with Wii Fit so far, which adding the 20 for the Meter still makes it cheaper than the 70 Shopto are charging for the set, plus I'd get Wii Fit :)

That said, I really do prefer discs and would happily pay a fiver for a version with it. Not a tenner though. Though now I think about it, not much point in my looking at prices yet as it'll be a while before I bother.

Edited by DFawkes at 11:24:15 12-11-2013

• Raiko101 12 Nov 2013 11:55:59 6,315 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Malignant I'm no expert when it comes to storage solutions on the Wii U, but perhaps you should consider an SD card over a USB stick. There's a tiny flap on the front of the console in which you can hide the thing in. It would look ever so slightly more presentable than having a stick hanging out.

That sounds rather weird when I read it back... :eek:

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Punctum 12 Nov 2013 12:00:28 936 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Mmmm... Shiny new console has arrived!
  • Zomoniac 12 Nov 2013 12:04:12 7,831 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So it's 20 for the game if you don't want a disc, or 50 if you do? Madness. I didn't know that. I've now ordered the disc thingy. Need a board from somewhere though.

Edit: By disc thingy I meant meter. Just to be confusing. Not a disc.

Edited by Zomoniac at 12:09:13 12-11-2013
  • DFawkes 12 Nov 2013 12:05:02 22,987 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Punctum wrote:
    Mmmm... Shiny new console has arrived!
    Now don't touch it without gloves on or your fingerprints will be all over it! I do hope you don't have any set-up problems. Is it for yourself, I take it? And which bundle is it - I assume it's that NSMBU Bundle that was cheap?

Zom, Pinky's idea is best if you're not fussy like me. GAME does get them in cheap often. I like new though, and Amazon UK has Wii Fit with the board for just shy of 40. There are also plenty of third-party boards if you fancy.

Edited by DFawkes at 12:06:37 12-11-2013

• Zomoniac 12 Nov 2013 12:08:44 7,831 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Plenty on eBay, they rarely seem to go past 15 for a board. There are quite a few in collection distance of me so going to browse them.
  • Pinky_Floyd 12 Nov 2013 13:36:03 7,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Wii U Ghosts has a shonky frame rate but I don't think anyone cares as all the attention is now on the Xbone's shonky frame rate with Dead Rising 3.

Well, when I say shonky it's less likely to hold 60fps than the other versions, but it looks playable if enough if that's your bag.

It's not my bag, though would love to try the wiimote aiming on it. Not buying it just for that though.
  • Page

of 1363 First / Last