Wii U Page 1014

• Page

of 1363 First / Last

• Deleted user 30 October 2013 11:31:40
    What was it, 9m by the end of 2014? Currently at around 3.6m? Well it's entirely possible that Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Donkey Kong and Super Mario 3D World will sell at least a combined total of 6m. Right?

Nay, it's very likely, let's be honest. Nintendo will be 'fine.'
  • treegreen 30 Oct 2013 11:40:57 103 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @kay

Nintendo 'expects' 18.9 million 3DS units sold this financial year. Half way through we're currently at 3.89. Christmas will give it a boost, but to reach its target it will need to sell better than Wii and DS ever did during their lifetime. Absolutely mental.

@T_Neumann

Unfortunately that 9m isn't a cumulative target. Their goal is 9m this financial year. Half way through the financial year and it's currently at 0.46m sold. We are still over one million units short of Nintendo's target for March 2013... :\
  • Pinky_Floyd 30 Oct 2013 12:31:18 7,907 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    T_Neumann wrote:
    What was it, 9m by the end of 2014? Currently at around 3.6m? Well it's entirely possible that Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Donkey Kong and Super Mario 3D World will sell at least a combined total of 6m. Right?

Nay, it's very likely, let's be honest. Nintendo will be 'fine.'
    The figures are desperately bad, and we all knew they would be as that was the general trend and new releases like W101 sold pitifully. Super Mario 3D World is not the saviour of the Wii U. No single game is, but if you combine that with Smash and Kart along with a sub 200 entry point then you have something that'll is almost guaranteed to sell nicely for a while.

Hitting the stars like they did with the Wii seems almost impossible.

I do wonder if Wii Fit U will sell consoles, fitness tat sells loads and a lot of it isn't cheap. If they target the right market and the right market sees it then they might be interested in it.

Of course, they won't buy anything else so what's the point?

Nintendo are fine financially, no worries there but the situation around the Wii U is quite complicated. They have to hold out so that development can finish on their big hitters and they can get them out there and see if it can make a difference. My current thinking is that it won't, not hugely and that the best they can ever hope for with the Wii U are sales that are just 'ok' with spikes of 'good'.

The games consumer is currently obsessed with tech. I would argue that most PS4/Xbox One launch orders are based on tech excitement, not games, though those games will eventually come.

It's all highly interesting. I don't really have an investiture except that the Wii U is currently the underdog and I like to see the underdog do well.
  • RyanDS 30 Oct 2013 12:52:49 9,377 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:

It's all highly interesting. I don't really have an investiture except that the Wii U is currently the underdog and I like to see the underdog do well.
    I like to see the plucky underdog do well. You know, the one who fights against the odds and does it's best.

When the underdog just sits back and files his nails while not bothering to even fight, but still beleives he is the bestest ever and doesn't understand why people are laughing at him... Well then I am more than happy to watch him fail.
  • Deleted user 30 October 2013 13:01:06
    I mentioned in a previous post that success is relative, and that there are different levels of success.

Here comes an indisputable fact. The Xbox One and Playstation 4 will NOT sell more then the Nintendo Wii.

The Nintendo Wii was a revelation. It was a cheap, pioneering and unique. It is very, very unlikely that such sales from modern consoles will ever be reached again.

So will the Playstation 4 or Xbox One be deemed a failure when it doesn't reach those figures? Of course not. So why should the Wii U be called the same when compared to the competition or indeed it's own previous iteration? Infact, look at how the Playstation 3 is not even close to it's Playstation 2 figures. But you don't see the PS3 being touted as a failure do you?

Did Nintendo naively think that the Wii U would bring about such success? Yes and no. Their moderately, well, modest, sale figures predictions would suggest otherwise but of course they believed it was possible.

I bring up the Gamecube again. Us gamers loved it. Families didn't care about it. When we all talk (including gamers who have since defected to the other manufacturers) we all agree it was a cracking console. And yet it isn't even close to other Nintendo consoles in sales.

Henry Gilbert a few months ago on the Gamesradar podcast said this was Nintendo's mulligan year i.e, they put something HD out there; if they had their time again maybe they would try again; but that being said, it's out, and next time (next generation) they know they would do things differently.

So the Wii U as far as I'm concerned can be a new Gamecube; poor sales, but moments of genius not found elsewhere.

The real problem is that those moments of genius have been too far in coming so far.
  • RyanDS 30 Oct 2013 13:04:35 9,377 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    T_Neumann wrote:
    I mentioned in a previous post that success is relative, and that there are different levels of success.

Here comes an indisputable fact. The Xbox One and Playstation 4 will NOT sell more then the Nintendo Wii.
    I honestly could see the XBox beating the Wii if the TV thing really takes off. ie instead of getting a Sky Box you get a Sky XBox as standard (and in the US the equivalent cable box.)
  • Frogofdoom 30 Oct 2013 13:21:24 888 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    dont you have to plug your existing cbale boxes into the xbox though, essentially just using more power for watching tv.
  • Psychotext 30 Oct 2013 13:21:25 54,208 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    First time I've ever seen negative shipments. -20k sold for Europe. Impressive.
  • Pinky_Floyd 30 Oct 2013 13:22:56 7,907 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's the Nintendo way!
  • treegreen 30 Oct 2013 13:24:57 103 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    At least one of the PS4, Xbox or Wii U will outsell the Wii unless the console market shows a sudden decline.
  • Frogofdoom 30 Oct 2013 13:28:53 888 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    i dont think they will, i think its too evenly split between ms and sony for that to happen and the casuals are playing fb games and phone games.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 13:31:09 30-10-2013
  • vyseofhr 30 Oct 2013 14:49:25 846 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:

I like to see the plucky underdog do well. You know, the one who fights against the odds and does it's best.

When the underdog just sits back and files his nails while not bothering to even fight, but still beleives he is the bestest ever and doesn't understand why people are laughing at him... Well then I am more than happy to watch him fail.
    Interesting analogy.
    I'd contest that even though the hardware is below-par, the marketing has been poor, and the console is overpriced, this has been one of Nintendo's most prolific 12 months for great games in recent memory.

Wii U Nintendo-published titles:
    NintendoLand
    NSMBU + NSLU
    Lego City
    Pikmin
    W101
    WW:HD
    Wii Party U
    Mario 3D World

3DS:
    Animal Crossing
    Luigi's Mansion
    Fire Emblem
    Paper Mario
    Mario + Luigi
    Pokemon X/Y
    Professor Layton
    Zelda: Link between Worlds

/list.

Of course, not all of those were developed internally, but development-wise that's a pretty prolific year across two platforms by any publisher's standards, let alone the holder itself. It's just a shame that third parties haven't even given the Wii U in particular 12 months to find it's feet, and the perception of failure has resulted in a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Marketing has never, ever been Nintendo's strong suit; their adverts have always been awful. It's impossible to deny that the Wii U has been an unmitigated failure, it has, but I don't think it's been for lack of trying on Nintendo's part.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• Trafford 30 Oct 2013 14:53:48 5,791 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well I've just bought one. The WW bundle for my 9 year olds Xmas.
    Shame it won't be installed under my TV, it would annoy me though.
    Still, I'll be borrowing it for Bayonetta 2 \o/
  • Grax 30 Oct 2013 15:42:14 2,262 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    \O/ 460,001
  • Zomoniac 30 Oct 2013 15:59:27 7,831 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @vyseofhr I think Sonic Lost World is published by Nintendo too.
  • Deleted user 30 October 2013 16:16:37
    RyanDS wrote:
    T_Neumann wrote:

I honestly could see the XBox beating the Wii if the TV thing really takes off. ie instead of getting a Sky Box you get a Sky XBox as standard (and in the US the equivalent cable box.)
    But it won't because only the Americans consume TV in such a way in any great consistency of number. Culturally Japan and Europe are very different. You only have to look at how Apple TV hasn't really cut the mustard either.

Oh, and the thing is far too expensive, Europeans get a really raw deal in that regard to the Xbox One.

I agree on the point that people will be split, not one will dominate.

Edited by T_Neumann at 16:20:37 30-10-2013
  • midi82 30 Oct 2013 16:22:23 673 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Zomoniac I don't think sonic makes a list of quality Wii U titles though

Edited by midi82 at 16:22:33 30-10-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 30 Oct 2013 19:05:03 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    2,598 ... last week, in Japan.

: (
  • Daniel_Spencer 30 Oct 2013 19:08:53 84 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    T_Neumann wrote:

I've never understood the appeal of a console doubling up as set-top box. I'm not one of those 'oh but my smart tv does it so why should i get the x1?' but I'm sure there are cheaper solutions as opposed to buying a 400 worth of kit which you'll have to pay on top off to get the most out of subscriptions, when there are likely to be better set top boxes or even conversion units.
  • Deleted user 30 October 2013 19:11:02
    @CharlieStCloud

The big test is next week . I think all the price drops/ new bundles happen then. not good though.
  • Wavey 30 Oct 2013 19:18:56 377 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud god that is low. :S
  • Kangoo 30 Oct 2013 20:07:20 1,016 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When the PS3 was released, below 10,000 units per week was considered a big problem in Japan. Remember it dropping to 6,000 a few times but nothing like this.

Zelda doesn't shift the numbers over there like everywhere else but Mario normally does so that will be the real test.

PSN: Adwab2

• zoolophage 30 Oct 2013 20:29:25 1,744 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Looks bad. I expect Iwata to step down in April when he fails to deliver his promised $1 billion 9(USA) profit.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• CompetitiveDad 30 Oct 2013 21:09:00 2,162 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    So... picked up a new copy of black ops 2 for 11.99 today from eBay courtesy of HDUK.

I'm now the proud owner of nintendo land, wii u party (with wii mote plus) and a pro controller.

Just need a console now :D
  • Pinky_Floyd 30 Oct 2013 21:21:08 7,907 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Seeing some assface 4 shots up on the gaf wii u screen grab thread and it actually looks very impressive.
  • Pinky_Floyd 31 Oct 2013 00:30:59 7,907 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Polygon have dropped all arkham origins scores to 4 except for wii u at 7 due to issues.

Im not sure how I feel about this. If they have tested all versions equally then fine. If not, they need to wise up as they are going on community feedback. Could be hardly anyone has the wii u version. Time will tell.
  • MrFlay 31 Oct 2013 01:39:53 719 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've heard elsewhere that the Wii U version is the most stable. I'll probably get it at some point when it's been fixed.
  • Grax 31 Oct 2013 06:20:29 2,262 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Post deleted
  • Pinky_Floyd 31 Oct 2013 07:57:44 7,907 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For those of you who played BLOPS2, what were the pointer controls like?

I thought MOVE was brilliantly implemented for KZ2 (or was it 3), however MOVE has a huge flaw, drift. I ended up giving up on it because calibrating the centre point every 2 minutes was highly irritating.

I know the remote doesn't suffer from this so wondered if it added anything to a modern fast paced shooter like the upcoming ghosts. Will it use motion plus?

I have tried pointer aiming, just with Metroid but that's a single player game and not quite the same thing.
  • Pinky_Floyd 31 Oct 2013 08:04:50 7,907 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also, have some assface 4 wii u shots grabbed from the browser (not by me):

Links to 720p image as well as embedded shots.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42027960/Asscreed4/ass1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42027960/Asscreed4/ass2.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42027960/Asscreed4/ass3.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42027960/Asscreed4/ass4.jpg

• Page

of 1363 First / Last