Wii U Page 1008

• Page

of 1370 First / Last

• Deleted user 26 October 2013 17:53:36
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Oh, Super Mario Sunshine in HD would be great, thank you!

... still looks pretty to me, especially the water.

: )
    I played it recently, it still looks superb.

Gamecube games hold up remarkably well. Sunshine, F-Zero and Wind Waker don't look dated at all, they all look great even on a big plasma.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2013 17:56:21
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    rumblesushi wrote:
    @Pinky_Floyd Do you have any reverse buyer's remorse for blowing your PS4 cash, or are you still pleased with the decision?
    Nope. The PS4 is expensive and has no games I want to play so no point.

Maybe next year when its cheaper and has some interesting games.

Also, off tv play proving so useful. Tried remote play when I had my ps3 and vita but it was nowhere near as nice as off tv. Remote play supposed to be fixed for ps4 but 350 + game + vita = about £550. No ta.

Sorted for third party games on my pc. Having 2x gtx 670'S and a 120 hz monitor means it kicks the shit out of a ps4 anyway so BF4, Watchdogs etc. all gonna run better on the pc.

What makes the wii u so tasty is the nintendo games and also the brilliant little gamepad. Wouldnt be without it. I can also include my family, myself and my daughter were playing wii u party earlier. Fun!
    Yep, that's how I feel. I was excited about the machine at first, then realised there's not a single launch title that interests me, or even any exclusive on the horizon. I can play multi platform games at 60fps on my PC.

What is 120fps gaming like by the way? How much difference can you feel compared to 60?

Also why is remote play on the PS3 significantly worse? More lag than the Gamepad? I recently got a Vita, I might try out Ico and GOW later.
  • ResidentKnievel 26 Oct 2013 17:56:45 6,239 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Or on a Dolphin emulator, Sunshine and Wind Waker have high-res texture packs, too.

If you've got a decent PC you should definitely try it out.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Deleted user 26 October 2013 19:13:38
    High res texture packs are horrible, I want the original artwork thanks.

I've tried Dolphin, it's good. F-Zero looks incredible in HD, and Sunshine looks great rendering at higher res with AA.

F-Zero seems to be the most demanding GC game though, it's the only one that doesn't run at a solid 60fps on my 3570k.
  • zoolophage 26 Oct 2013 19:20:14 1,883 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Been busy decorating all day. Kicked off the Deus Ex download a few hours ago and now it's ready. 16gb download. Gotta fill the spare hd somehow.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• CompetitiveDad 26 Oct 2013 19:24:52 2,428 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:  Wii Karaoke U,
    Do you need to import this?
  • Grax 26 Oct 2013 19:33:25 2,296 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @CompetitiveDad it's on the eshop, it's an odd one as you pay per hour when using the game
  • CompetitiveDad 26 Oct 2013 19:40:55 2,428 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Grax wrote:
    @CompetitiveDad it's on the eshop, it's an odd one as you pay per hour when using the game
    Really? What's that all about then?
  • Gambit1977 26 Oct 2013 19:49:24 10,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CompetitiveDad wrote:
    Grax wrote:
    its a gripping storyline if that's what you mean.
  • CompetitiveDad 26 Oct 2013 19:50:36 2,428 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    CompetitiveDad wrote:
    Grax wrote:
    its a gripping storyline if that's what you mean.
    :D
  • ResidentKnievel 26 Oct 2013 23:27:25 6,239 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    rumblesushi wrote:
    ???

They're generally just the original textures and HUD cleaned up

• Deleted user 26 October 2013 23:29:17
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    rumblesushi wrote:
    ???

They're generally just the original textures and HUD cleaned up
    None that I've seen. I downloaded a few N64 texture packs and they were completely different. Higher res but considerably worse textures, it basically wasn't the same game.
  • ResidentKnievel 26 Oct 2013 23:32:51 6,239 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Sunshine and Wind Waker texture packs just make things sharper so they're easier on the eye when played on a Monitor.

• Deleted user 26 October 2013 23:35:37
    Do you have a link to them?
  • Pinky_Floyd 27 Oct 2013 00:36:47 8,047 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have a fair bit of experience with Dolphin, though not with the very latest versions.  Did a fair bit of tinkering earlier in the year before I bought my wii u.

In short, its a great emulator but its not without its issues and there are some setup issues to be aware of.

Most, if not all third party wiimotes wont work.

You need a usb bluetooth adapter if your pc doesnt have it and you may need to mess around and change your bluetooth stack.

Motion plus can be a pain.  The gold zelda wiimote works well as does the old add on type.  Other wii mote plus controllers dont, unless that has been fixed.

Sensor bar is an issue.  You will be sitting close to your pc, so it needs to work at very short range.  I bought a GAME brand wireless bar, was no good. 

Ended up using candles while I researched it.  Bought a wireless duracell wii sensor bar and it is brilliant up close.  Doesnt work with wii u, confirmed by duracell and I cant even begin to understand why as its just led lights.

There are issues with games.  Metroid Prime Trilogy and Wind Waker spring to mind.

You need a fast pc.  I was unable to hit 60fps in f zero x with a 4.2ghz 3770k and 2x gtx 670 GPU's.

The end result, when you get there, is that the games look mighty indeed.  My favourite in the looks dept was Super Mario Galaxy 2.

However, I just dont think its worth the hassle and ultimately thats down to the person.

I am now playing through Super Mario Galaxy 2 using the wii u BC and while not pin sharp, it does look very, very good on my 50" plasma.  I find the  graphical improvements of Dolphin not to be worth the hassle and have tended now to just put the disc in my wii u. 

This was my experience.  Yours may be better or worse and YMMV.

Hope the info above helps in some small way.
  • MrFlay 27 Oct 2013 00:57:58 1,008 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    New Wii U bundle on Amazon UK. Really good deal.

Here

£239 for a 32GB Premium Wii U with Nintendo Land and two free games.

1st choice is from Splinter Cell: Blacklist, ZombiU, Sports Connection, Rabbids Land & Just Dance 4

2nd choice is from Assassin's Creed 3, Rayman Legends, Smurfs 2, Marvel Avenger's Battle For Earth, Your Shape 2013, Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed.

Some very decent games there. ZombiU, Splinter Cell, Ass Creed 3, Rayman Legends and Sonic Racing.

Edited by MrFlay at 00:58:33 27-10-2013
  • Sid-Nice 27 Oct 2013 01:06:11 15,852 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My daughter works for John Lewis; Bainbridge Newcastle (the oldest department store in the world) and she gets discount at JL and Waitrose.

Edit see this post: this was my last post and because the clocks went back, it ended up being posted before my other posts. This was in reply to rumblesushi. :)

Edited by Sid-Nice at 01:13:28 27-10-2013

NNID Sid-Nice

• Pinky_Floyd 27 Oct 2013 01:07:48 8,047 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I would go for splinter cell and rayman legends.  The only reason I didnt say sonic racing is because its a tenner in cex so just trying to maximise the monetary value of the bundle. 
  • Short-Round 27 Oct 2013 01:12:07 1,181 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @rumblesushi Cheers, I have a launch day 360 Elite, and it's genuinely the worst gadget I've ever heard for noise, both disc drive and fans, I despise it. If the Wii U noise is comparable to things like the Dreamcast and PS3 Slim though (both have relatively noisy drives ime, but tolerable) I could live with it.
  • Deleted user 27 October 2013 01:22:59
    @Pinky_Floyd Good post, that's basically how I feel about Dolphin.

Great emulator, but I'd rather have the simplicity and solidity of playing games natively. Even more convenient too, I have all my Wii games installed to a hard drive.

Not only that, but I even play Gamecube games from the same hard drive thanks to a brilliant program called Devolution. Rip your GC disks with CleanRip, then play them via Devolution.

I'm also lucky to have a Plasma with brilliant scaling, so Wii and Gamecube games look really good on it anyway.
  • Short-Round 27 Oct 2013 01:29:49 1,181 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was so close to taking the plunge, but then someone in this thread mentioned the Wii U can be a bit noisy, so I checked youtube for Wii U noise tests. Fuck that, the drive and fan sound unreasonably loud, there's no way I could buy another hatefully loud console like the 360. Is the drive constantly accessing the disc in games?
  • Deleted user 27 October 2013 01:36:07
    @Short-Round I would just buy one - as someone who owns a fat 360, they are not in the same league, noise wise.

The fans are audible, but nowhere near as loud as the 360 fans which are like a small hoover. Not as quiet as the Wii or PS3 superslim, but not that noisy either.

The drive is a lot noiser than the Wii, but again, nowhere near as bad as the 360. The 360 drive is absurd.

ZombiU is the only game I've tried that has been distractingly noisy, as there was a frequent clunking/disk seeking noise that was unpleasant. Like it was streaming data from all over the disk.

Other games are fine though. Mario U for example, just a constant whirr, no horrible clunking sounds.
  • FatSternKikwi 27 Oct 2013 01:42:59 579 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The wii U version of splinter cell doesn't have local coop

But damn that is tempting, could go for zombie u and rayman
  • Sid-Nice 27 Oct 2013 01:55:33 15,852 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    I don't drink :(

Maybe if you drank you wouldn't be such a miserable git. :)

Edited by Sid-Nice at 01:55:59 27-10-2013

NNID Sid-Nice

• Sid-Nice 27 Oct 2013 01:57:50 15,852 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FatSternKikwi wrote:
    The wii U version of splinter cell doesn't have local coop

But damn that is tempting, could go for zombie u and rayman
    Where I live doesn't have a local Coop either; they closed the fucker down.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Deleted user 27 October 2013 01:59:29
    Where I live has local Coop, not worth it though, Waitrose is so much nicer.
  • Grax 27 Oct 2013 06:21:44 2,296 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    How close do you guys sit to the Wii u? I hadn't noticed any noise until someone mentioned it on here and I had to go mighty close to hear the whirling
  • Pinky_Floyd 27 Oct 2013 06:31:34 8,047 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mine is behind glass, cant hear a thing.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Oct 2013 07:15:37 11,365 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There is plenty of fan noise as it's tiny and spins all the time, utter fuckwittery from Nintendo.
    They put all this effort into low power draw and efficiency then stick it in a small case with a small fan that runs all the time.
    It's fan should be miles quieter than the 360 slim and the PS3 slim but isn't :-(

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• SGMilne 27 Oct 2013 08:35:42 146 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thinking of getting one soon.

There a few bundles I'm interested in, like the Lego City Undercover one and the Mario & Luigi one.

Question is, is it worth waiting 12 days for the Mario & Luigi one?
  • Page

of 1370 First / Last