Wii U Page 1002

• Page

of 1347 First / Last

• DFawkes 23 Oct 2013 22:14:03 22,603 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got my 007 Legends today! It's not actually all that bad so far. Only done the Goldfinger section, but it feels like Bond. Mostly, at least.

The framerate is all over the place, the general feel of the game is a bit cheap and cheerful, but the gunplay is solid enough. I especially like the boss melee system, which has you punching an enemies unguarded areas using the analogue sticks. The upgrade system is also pretty cool.

That said, this is only so far. There have only been token attempts at stealth in the first section, and there was something a bit off. I don't think a longer stealth section would hold up well, so I reckon later on I'll be cursing the developers and their children.

The Wii U stuff is so useless they shouldn't have bothered. The Gamepad shows the same map as the TV and buttons for your weapons and gadgets, and a couple of the hacking mini-games go to the Gamepad screen. It bafflingly doesn't even include Off TV Play despite the poor Gamepad implementation.

So, although I'm enjoying it, I wouldn't recommend it, especially on Wii U. If you want to be Bond, buy Lego City Undercover and make yourself a little Lego Bond. The story even almost feels like it could be a Bond movie.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Deleted user 23 October 2013 22:23:21
    @DFawkes You're too nice. Always find a positive in the biggest of turds :)
  • Pinky_Floyd 23 Oct 2013 22:24:07 7,417 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dfawkes. Playing all the shite so we dont have to. I thank you, sir.
  • zoolophage 23 Oct 2013 22:29:03 1,601 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DFawkes

You're so positive that I'm surprised ONM haven't offered you a job writing reviews. My favourite part is:

"So, although I'm enjoying it, I wouldn't recommend it, especially on Wii U."

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• MrFlay 23 Oct 2013 22:29:45 548 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think it got lost in all the 1000 excitement but Nintendo have announced that the download size for Super Mario 3D World will be 1702 MB. Nintendo must have incredible compression tech. I think I'll probably download it if it's 49.99 or less. Premium owners get 10% back too.

Edited by MrFlay at 22:30:28 23-10-2013
  • DFawkes 23 Oct 2013 22:32:05 22,603 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    zoolophage wrote:
    You're so positive that I'm surprised ONM haven't offered you a job writing reviews. My favourite part is:

"So, although I'm enjoying it, I wouldn't recommend it, especially on Wii U."
    :D I just generally enjoy games. If there's something there to be enjoyed, I'll find it. That said, if I were to write an actual review that would inform peoples purchasing decision, it'd be a lot more critical.

I really did have quite a lot of fun on the Goldfinger Fort Knox section. Sure, there was always the sense that, if I stopped and really prodded at the experience, I'd be greeted with empty copy pasted rooms and infinite enemies until you reach a certain spot on the floor, but I just went with the flow.

Not something I'd recommend to a friend though, but I reckon I'll get a tenners worth of fun out of it, even if I find out the rest of the Campaign is guff and just play multiplayer. But so far it's better than I expected.

Edited by DFawkes at 22:38:07 23-10-2013

• zoolophage 23 Oct 2013 22:43:53 1,601 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DFawkes

It's a great attitude to have. Games are supposed to be fun and all that. However, don't think you'd get a job in Edge magazine. Seems like you have to hate games to work there.

• Pinky_Floyd 23 Oct 2013 22:47:04 7,417 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kev loved it. He of the now 25k viewed Mum and Dad play baseball gamepad video :)

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=215271
  • zoolophage 23 Oct 2013 22:51:04 1,601 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That it's, I'm buying it. Wii U Party, that is, not 007.

• Pinky_Floyd 23 Oct 2013 22:54:56 7,417 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    F U EDGE!
  • Sid-Nice 24 Oct 2013 00:15:56 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Was in Grainger Games today enquiring about Wii Party U and they had the Wind Waker for 30 so I cracked and bought it. I might pick up Wii Party U from Argos at 33.99 unless there is somewhere cheaper?

NNID Sid-Nice

• Dombat 24 Oct 2013 01:37:07 240 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    zoolophage wrote:
    @DFawkes

It's a great attitude to have. Games are supposed to be fun and all that. However, don't think you'd get a job in Edge magazine. Seems like you have to hate games to work there.
    Unless the game is developed in the UK, then it's industry changing.
  • Buenos_Estente 24 Oct 2013 09:26:35 268 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone know if all the minigames on Wii U Party require Plus or will run of the mill old wiimotes work too?

My daughter loves party games and this is my excuse for buying it, not because I myself also love a Mario/Wii Party

Edited by Buenos_Estente at 09:30:57 24-10-2013

3ds - 3909-7778-4988 / Xbox live - Buenos E
    PSN/NNID - Buenos1980

• JiveHound 24 Oct 2013 10:23:59 2,346 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Don't quote me but I imagine you need Motion Plus. It comes with one packed in I believe. Whether that is because it needs the upgraded motion or it is because the console doesn't come with any wiimotes I couldn't tell you.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Grax 24 Oct 2013 10:27:48 1,782 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Don't quote me but I imagine you need Motion Plus. It comes with one packed in I believe. Whether that is because it needs the upgraded motion or it is because the console doesn't come with any wiimotes I couldn't tell you.
    this, pretty sure jive is right, on a plus note, i think you can pick up adaptors pretty cheap now days. Having said that nintendoland works with standard wiimotes
  • Buenos_Estente 24 Oct 2013 11:12:00 268 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Grax Cheers Guys - Have googled for no definitive answer, I shall see what is playable when it arrives! Have the Zelda motion plus one so would only need a couple of adapters for a full party

3ds - 3909-7778-4988 / Xbox live - Buenos E
    PSN/NNID - Buenos1980

• CYBER-WOO 24 Oct 2013 11:34:39 71 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My copy arrived from Shopto today, just been trying out some of the games using an old Wiimote without motion plus and it works just fine.
  • neilka 24 Oct 2013 11:50:59 15,665 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Please can someone correct his username to CYBER-WU.
  • Pinky_Floyd 24 Oct 2013 13:19:07 7,417 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Deus Ex has arrived but I won't get home tonight till after 9pm. Think Wii U Party is stuck in the PO cos no one was home and they couldn't get it through the letterbox. Boink.
  • Deleted user 24 October 2013 15:13:45
    neilka wrote:
    Please can someone correct his username to CYBER-WU.
    :D
  • Aretak 24 Oct 2013 15:16:44 10,345 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just hooked up my shiny new Wii U. The Zelda gamepad is a lot less tacky in the flesh than it seemed in pictures I've seen. They made the decal look like a pretty bright yellow colour, but it's actually a pleasantly muted gold and seems of decent quality. The screen's also quite a bit nicer than I expected. I like the whole setup process too. It even worked with my TV first go when I set up the TV remote bit (not that I'll ever use it).

Pity it's telling me the update it's currently performing will take 40 minutes...
  • Grax 24 Oct 2013 15:20:01 1,782 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    yeah, its a big old update.
  • zoolophage 24 Oct 2013 16:27:24 1,601 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Review scores from this months ONM.

Wii U Party (67): some great stuff and some hit and miss stuff.

Sonic Lost World: (80) decent but not as polished as Mario.

There is also a 3ds game called Turbo Super Squad (21). I'd like to see DFawkes put a positive spin on that one.

• Deleted user 24 October 2013 17:07:26
    Aretak wrote:
    The screen's also quite a bit nicer than I expected.
    Yep, probably the biggest surprise for most of us. I was expecting a 3DS quality screen, but it's leagues above.

People scoff at 480p, but the Gamepad is 158ppi which is really not bad. Higher than my iPad2 which I love using. The supersampling effect helps a lot too.
  • DFawkes 24 Oct 2013 17:19:10 22,603 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    zoolophage wrote:
    There is also a 3ds game called Turbo Super Squad (21). I'd like to see DFawkes put a positive spin on that one.

I'd be up for the challenge, if they gave it to me to review (hint hint EG if you got a review copy).

As for 007 Legends, I can understand the low reviews a lot more now. The first level of On Her Majesty's Secret Service is a skiing level, I assume designed and programmed by the work experience guy, most likely between sessions of catching bricks with his face. It's deeply horrible. It's so bad I can totally see people feeling it overshadows any spec of good.

You have to keep up with Tracey. Tracey is on a snowmobile, you're skiing, so she zooms away quickly. If you don't go fast enough, you fail. There's an accelerate button, but as soon as you start moving the prompt disappears. If you move, you won't move fast enough, and you will fail. If you stand still to read it, you will fail. So you have to stand still one time, fail, reload checkpoint, then try next turn.

Once you know that L is boost,you wonder if you are even boosting. It might be hold to accelerate, or repeatedly tap to speed up, or press once to activate higher speed mode - it never tells you or gives you feedback in any way. So you follow Tracey through a forest, and if you hit a single tree (or randomly sometimes 2), you'll drop behind and fail. There's stuff to shoot too, so if you adjust your aim and hit a tree as you're looking elsewhere, you'll fail.

Eventually you remember the pattern, and get past the trees, then get shot by a helicopter that doesn't appear on radar and you fail. Then you do the same again, this time knowing to shoot the helicopter gunner, and end up in a wide section where the helicopter launches rockets blast up rock that you have to avoid. But wait! There are invisible walls! The passage might be a good 10 meters wide, but screw you if you want to go outside the 2 meters in the middles!

That goes on for a bit. You can only finish it if you know what's coming in advance, pretty much, including where those invisible wall are (which pop up at random). There's a special place in Hell for the person who thought it was even vaguely acceptable.

But the section after was great fun, so swings and roundabouts :) I won't post more about it, just assume the rest of the game has alright sections but hilariously broken in places.

Edited by DFawkes at 17:22:15 24-10-2013

• Grax 24 Oct 2013 17:25:07 1,782 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    I don't know what it is dfawkes but even when you hate something you are so nice, it makes me want to play it
  • Pinky_Floyd 24 Oct 2013 17:38:09 7,417 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Crikey that sounds horrendous. Give that man a medal.
  • Grax 24 Oct 2013 17:41:49 1,782 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @Pinky_Floyd can I get a medal too?
  • Pinky_Floyd 24 Oct 2013 17:46:34 7,417 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Grax Yeah sure, Muttley.
  • zoolophage 24 Oct 2013 19:45:06 1,601 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just catching up on reading last weekend's Independent (I know) and what do I see but a 2 page advert for the Wii U. The headline is 'Even more fun for all the family'. They mention kids and family quite a few times. While they do mention several times it's a new console, it's not immediately obvious at a glance if you're just flicking through.

It says "So if you already have a Wii, simply upgrade to a new console and Gamepad and you can use your existing kit." I wouldn't personally call that an 'upgrade', but hey it's a 2 page spread in a reasonably popular newspaper.

Sentences like "What really makes the Wii U such a great family console is that the Wii U Gamepad can be played independently of the TV. If you then want the TV back for that must watch show but perhaps not everyone wants to watch the football or that costume drama, one of the children can continue to play just using the Gamepad - and on many games, without even having to interrupt their play."

So, looks like they're positioning the Wii U as a family console this xmas.

What a mouthful. They also big up the new Wii fit and Fitness Meter.

• Page

of 1347 First / Last