Wii U Page 990

• Page

of 1410 First / Last

• CharlieStCloud 20 Oct 2013 16:45:17 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    You did technically sell those games when you sold your Wii. Just retailers were not putting any value on them.

Edit - Not to take away from the fact they should have an account system in place.
    I suppose I did, but I also genuinely thought that after both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 made it a 'standard' feature, Nintendo would too offer this for the Wii U.

... obviously they find it too a bewildering thing to implement for some reason.

I still have all my details of what I had downloaded and purchased on my Wii.

: (
  • Deleted user 20 October 2013 16:52:51
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Raiko101 wrote:
    You did technically sell those games when you sold your Wii. Just retailers were not putting any value on them.

Edit - Not to take away from the fact they should have an account system in place.
    I suppose I did, but I also genuinely thought that after both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 made it a 'standard' feature, Nintendo would too offer this for the Wii U.

... obviously they find it too a bewildering thing to implement for some reason.

The account system is a clear issue true. It is only worthwhile though if they, and the X1 offers Cross buy features on their own system.- and redownload purchases on new sytems. (Which you can do, but as usual its too longwinded) In this regard Sony are miles ahead. I guess at least, WII U do offer genuine backwards compability. Which i don;t think they get enough credit for, it always negative negative negative with wii u and nintendo at the moment.

Edited by joelstinton at 16:55:50 20-10-2013
  • RyanDS 20 Oct 2013 16:58:05 9,842 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Raiko101 wrote:

The account system is a clear issue true. It is only worthwhile though if they, and the X1 offers Cross buy features on their own system. In this regard Sony are miles ahead. I guess at least, WII U do offer genuine backwards compability. Which i don;t think they get enough credit for, it always negative negative negative with wii u and nintendo at the moment.
    It is easy to do backwards compatibility when all you are doing is a very slight upgrade to the clock speed and not trying to innovate.

Whereas when you actually do upgraded hardware and use new tech (as Sony and MS are doing) it is much hareder to do compared to a "new" console that is just 3 gamecubes taped together.
  • DFawkes 20 Oct 2013 17:37:54 24,050 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be fair, the Wii U isn't 3 Gamecube's tapped together. The CPU is known to be pretty much the same, but the rest is different. They just designed it so it'd be able to do emulation easier by having new parts that could work for Wii U mode also usable for Wii. It seems like they felt it was the best way to do backwards compatibility.

The other consoles just didn't want backwards compatibility, so didn't engineer it the same way. Probably for the best really, as much as people will miss it at first. The focus is then on making sure it's good at running games made for it. Obviously Sony felt different with the PS3 at first, literally sticking certain bits of PS2 hardware inside.

So yes, it is easier to have a system emulate another if it's designed with that purpose in mind.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• MrFlay 20 Oct 2013 17:57:49 1,024 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Does anyone actually think either the Xbox One or PS4 are innovative? They're the most conservative consoles in years. Microsoft are trying to do something a little different with the UI and Kinect but the hardware in both consoles is not innovative in the slightest, it's just standard PC tech.

Of course early adopters will be feeling bitter, they always do. Next year we will see the same with the PS4 or Xbox One. Stop whining.
  • nickthegun 20 Oct 2013 17:59:20 61,305 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The problem with innovation is that sometimes the results are pointless and suck.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• DFawkes 20 Oct 2013 18:10:01 24,050 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the innovation with the X1 and PS4 are more in the expansion to being a living room device that does everything, including associated services. Sure, it started with their last consoles, but they're more invested in that path this time. The hardware itself didn't need to be innovative, it just needed to be a bit better.

Nintendo went "nah, we're still making a games console". I quite like that aspect, it's just a shame they made so many questionable decisions alongside that.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• JiveHound 20 Oct 2013 18:18:12 2,724 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The problem with innovation is that sometimes the results are pointless and suck.
    This is true. Sometimes you can be trying to answer questions no one ever asked.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Deleted user 20 October 2013 18:25:48
    nickthegun wrote:
    I think that's very true with the hardware this upcoming gen. There's no point in being innovative and complex for the sake of it, look at the PS3. Simple PC components make the most sense.

Unfortunately I feel the same way about the Wu Gamepad. Innovation for the sake of it.

Off TV play is great, but the gameplay "innovation" I've experienced using the Gamepad is nothing more than an unwanted distraction in all games I've tried it with.
  • Gambit1977 20 Oct 2013 18:36:38 10,384 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @rumblesushi is it official? Oh, well in that case order away! Sorry I thought it was some datel dodgeness
  • Aretak 20 Oct 2013 19:10:12 10,376 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nyko did make an unofficial one a while back that was 4000mAh (new official one's a mere 2550mAh), but it was rather a disaster due to horrible build quality, which lead to most of them being fully or partially faulty.
  • Towels 20 Oct 2013 19:39:32 22 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MrFlay wrote:
    Does anyone actually think either the Xbox One or PS4 are innovative? They're the most conservative consoles in years. Microsoft are trying to do something a little different with the UI and Kinect but the hardware in both consoles is not innovative in the slightest, it's just standard PC tech.

Of course early adopters will be feeling bitter, they always do. Next year we will see the same with the PS4 or Xbox One. Stop whining.
    It seemed to me that Microsoft were trying to innovate, relative to consoles, with the 'always-on' internet connection. It did have potential to enhance gameplay.

Unfortunately, a consumer backlash caused Microsoft to backtrack and release a Xbox 360 v.2.
  • CompetitiveDad 20 Oct 2013 19:48:11 2,849 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Does anyone own both Wii U and a 3DS, are the likes of the mario, Zelda, luigi games different enough to justify owning both? Can the 3DS be linked to the Wii etc..
  • Anthony_UK 20 Oct 2013 19:49:15 2,551 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am half tempted with a Wii U, I just wish they'd given the thing some extra grunt.

As it stands if I did take the plunge, it would accompany another next generation console, where if Nintendo decided to come out of that cave of theirs, it could well have been my primary console.
  • JiveHound 20 Oct 2013 20:26:14 2,724 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    CompetitiveDad wrote:
    Does anyone own both Wii U and a 3DS, are the likes of the mario, Zelda, luigi games different enough to justify owning both? Can the 3DS be linked to the Wii etc..
    I own both and for the most part they offer very different experiences. The 3ds prioitises more pick up and play pace.

The 3ds certainly has a more versatile catalogue at the moment. I bought mine to keep me going in Nintendo goodness until the WiiU has a bigger range.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• CompetitiveDad 20 Oct 2013 20:34:05 2,849 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    CompetitiveDad wrote:
    I own both and for the most part they offer very different experiences. The 3ds prioitises more pick up and play pace.

The 3ds certainly has a more versatile catalogue at the moment. I bought mine to keep me going in Nintendo goodness until the WiiU has a bigger range.
    Yeah.. I'm sort of wanting to do the same but with a next gen console to do the same with the WiiU, I'll stick to the WiiU only me thinks.

Cheers :)

Edited by CompetitiveDad at 20:34:45 20-10-2013

Edited by CompetitiveDad at 20:35:17 20-10-2013
  • Deleted user 20 October 2013 20:39:15
    @Gambit1977 Indeed it's the official one, that's why I was confused by your response ;)

@CompetitiveDad Given how tepid the next gen looks, PC + Wu seems like a good bet, at least until the PS4 gets some very compelling exclusives.
  • Deleted user 20 October 2013 21:11:12
    Interestingly, well not that interesting but the Mario Bundle that is coming out next month , is already above the Zelda bundle in the amazon charts - i know they are hourly, but they do sort of have a trend over days.
  • MrFlay 20 Oct 2013 21:21:21 1,024 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wouldn't be that surprised if NSMB U outsold Super Mario 3D World this Christmas. The Wii game sold a huge amount and if Wii Fit U, Wii Sports Club, Sonic and Mario at the Winter Olympics attract some of the casual crowd and families, they could do very well with the new bundle. The next-gen consoles aren't really making much of a effort to appeal to families.

Edited by MrFlay at 21:21:35 20-10-2013
  • Pinky_Floyd 20 Oct 2013 21:22:49 8,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is 1.50 not ok to transfer your games for gamepad support, miiverse and save anywhere functionality?

Maybe not.

Moving on, wii party u this week.  Surely with 80 odd mini games, some of them at least wont be crap?  Still, at least you get a free wiimote I suppose....
  • Deleted user 20 October 2013 21:28:12
  • MrFlay 20 Oct 2013 21:28:47 1,024 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd

Or you get a free game with your Wiimote Plus which is exactly what happened with Wii Play.
  • Pinky_Floyd 20 Oct 2013 21:31:59 8,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DLDCPFAL08&hd=1
    Bloody hell!
  • Aretak 20 Oct 2013 21:37:15 10,376 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It occured to me today that the last Nintendo console I bought was this (which I still have):

Kinda weird to be buying a Wii U bundled with the same game ten years later.

Edited by Aretak at 21:37:23 20-10-2013
  • zoolophage 20 Oct 2013 21:45:24 2,255 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wii U Party looks ideal for christmas. Bound to a be a laugh if you can get the right crowd involved.

Win great prizes for pc, xbox, nintendo and psn in the 2015 EG Charity Raffle: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/289501

• Raiko101 20 Oct 2013 21:50:33 6,708 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Me and the girlfriend have just discovered you can assign multiple controllers to player 1 on the Virtual Console. And so began the worst playthrough of Super Mario World, ever.

Edited by Raiko101 at 22:51:48 20-10-2013

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Armoured_Bear 20 Oct 2013 23:34:02 11,895 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    I am half tempted with a Wii U, I just wish they'd given the thing some extra grunt.

As it stands if I did take the plunge, it would accompany another next generation console, where if Nintendo decided to come out of that cave of theirs, it could well have been my primary console.
    As disappointed as I am that they didn't give it more power, I'm pleasantly impressed at how good the newer games look.

Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 are utterly gorgeous.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• jambii267 21 Oct 2013 08:17:32 1,368 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Art Direction counts for a lot. It's why Wind Waker still looks so great despite it being a touched up re-release of a 10 year old game.

Wii U is next generation, as far as I am concerned. If only because of the polish of Nintendo first party games. Pretty colours help too.

NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

• Rodpad 21 Oct 2013 08:54:35 2,097 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Magic polish.
  • Grax 21 Oct 2013 12:15:35 2,296 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    So, anyone picked up sonic over the weekend?? how was it to play
  • Page

of 1410 First / Last