Wii U Page 964

• Page

of 1373 First / Last

• zoolophage 10 Oct 2013 22:33:54 1,927 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Interesting. I reckon all but the most Japan centric games would do pretty well worldwide. I mean, how many times have you read about good games that will never be released outside of Japan and been disappointed by that. I know that there must be a fair amount of work involved in language translation but big hits in Japan will mostly likely equal big hits worldwide (with the exception of tamagotchi sumo panko racing or something). Even the releases between USA and europe can be different, with some games never destined to hit europe.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• Sid-Nice 10 Oct 2013 23:28:58 15,852 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd I still have Most Wanted and it is an excellent game; yet my time has been taken up by NSMBU, Super Luigi U, Star Wars Pinball, Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3 as well as my grandson playing "The Birdy Game" Toki Tori 2+ and Angry Birds. I still need to purchase The Wonderful 101 and The Wind Waker.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Armoured_Bear 11 Oct 2013 07:34:45 11,401 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Brilliant. Who wants a third console the same as the other 2?

No thanks.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/10/iwata-nintendo-is-not-good-at-competing-so-must-offer-something-different-than-the-status-quo/

“When we talk about Nintendo we cannot ignore (former president) Hiroshi Yamauchi who just recently passed away. He always said that if you have failure, you don’t need to be too concerned. You always have good things and bad, and this reflects the history of Nintendo. If you do the same thing as others, it will wear you out. Nintendo is not good at competing so we always have to challenge [the status quo] by making something new, rather than competing in an existing market.”

On the risk of bringing Japanese IP and ideas to the western market, Iwata reflected on initial fears that he Pokemon brand would fail in the US. “Will America accept cute monsters?” he asked, “No, they said. Some people even recommended to make Pikachu more muscular. If we followed their advice Pokemon would never have been the success that it was. Brain Training software (Brain Age) became a hit in Japan, and I proposed that we sell it globally. And even as I said that as the president, no one listened.”
    Making something different doesn't have to mean utter stupidity such as no analogue triggers, terrible rumble, no ethernet etc.
    It also doesn't mean making the console too underpowered to get 3rd Party Support, it doesn't mean almost never releasing any main retail IPs.
    Nintendo say they're "new and different" but they are far, far too conservative.
    They're still awesome but should be much better.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• CharlieStCloud 11 Oct 2013 08:52:34 5,317 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Nintendo say they're "new and different" but they are far, far too conservative.

Someone wrote almost virtually the same words as you on Nintendo Life and got absolutely slaughtered for it, even though your words are as true as it gets.

... not since the days of Wii Sports have Nintendo done something drastically 'new and different', and that's a shy over six or seven years ago now.

I am quite pleased to see this thread change for the better though, seeing as several folks have recently treated themselves to a Wii U in recent weeks.

Hope the daft comments are no more.
  • simsini 11 Oct 2013 09:23:56 317 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Someone wrote almost virtually the same words as you on Nintendo Life and got absolutely slaughtered for it, even though your words are as true as it gets.

... not since the days of Wii Sports have Nintendo done something drastically 'new and different', and that's a shy over six or seven years ago now.

I am quite pleased to see this thread change for the better though, seeing as several folks have recently treated themselves to a Wii U in recent weeks.

It might be six or seven years, but it's a shorter period than Sony or Microsoft.
  • nickthegun 11 Oct 2013 10:03:31 60,620 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any news yet on how Zelda sold?

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• electrolite 11 Oct 2013 10:13:07 471 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud

I've discovered Nintendo Life recently in my pursuit of Wii U info (still baffled as to why EG ignored the SM3DW trailer) and it's a terrifying place. I expect single format sites to be biased but the forum there is special. Absolutely indoctrinated. I spot it easily as I think I used to be one of them back in the N64 days.
  • Pinky_Floyd 11 Oct 2013 10:13:54 8,093 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It got to number 4 in the UK, though I believe sold some way behind FIFA and GTA, as you might expect.

We know that doesn't take into account downloads or the new hardware bundle though I think the hardware bundle must have done 'reasonably' well because most forums I have visited have folk who have buckled and bought it, either because of Zelda or because they liked the Mario World trailer.

But then again, any sales at all are a huge improvement on what has gone before.

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 10:16:48 11-10-2013
  • Grax 11 Oct 2013 10:24:57 2,296 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Anyone going to pick up sonic lost world this month?? I really want it but can't afford to get it this side of christmas
  • vyseofhr 11 Oct 2013 10:39:08 864 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I had it on pre-order but the impressions of a mate that played it at the Expo put me off and I cancelled.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• electrolite 11 Oct 2013 10:41:35 471 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

I think they need to strike more of a balance, they're in danger of being different for the sake of it. The principle of leveraging existing technology is good but it's a gamble. If there isn't a cheaply available tech that's going to add something don't shoehorn something in there especially if it adds to the cost of the hardware significantly. 3D and the tablet controller aren't new, they're jumping on existing readily available bandwagons.

They obviously got stung by the Gamecube which they regarded as a direct hardware competitor with PS2 and Xbox (ignoring that it was inhibited commercially by its quirky controller, reduced storage, lack of DVD-playing) that flopped. The DS and Wii had gimmicks that caught the imagination and were huge successes so now they feel like that's their thing, to try and repeat that success. To me, that's daft. They haven't really competed on hardware since the SNES so there's no way of knowing how a Nintendo machine with similar specs to Sony/MS and all the third-party software *plus* Nintendo games would do.

Their other mistake is being so slow with the community side of it. I'm not a huge online gaming fan but they really should have been into that quickly. They have the IP. Things like Achievements, Friend Lists etc. lock people into an ecosystem-MS will pick up a lot of sales from people who don't want to lose what they've built up. Miiverse is a start but it should have happened years ago, with the Wii really. Likewise the Eshop, they've missed an opportunity with their conservatism and long-prevalent rendency towards price gouging. Backwards compatibility is OK but they could have been pushing people towards the Wii U with the prospect of transferring Wii and VC games bought online straight over. Instead they're trying to charge people fees for transferring over the very few games that are on the Wii U VC.

I have a Wii U now and it's very good but I fear for its future. Nintendo continuing stasis and poor decisions are confusing. I still don't really know what they were trying to do with the Wii U, who it's aimed at, and what the strategy behind it was beyond "it's got Wii on the box, we don't have to do anything, it'll sell loads"
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Oct 2013 10:43:13 11,401 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    electrolite wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

I think they need to strike more of a balance, they're in danger of being different for the sake of it. The principle of leveraging existing technology is good but it's a gamble. If there isn't a cheaply available tech that's going to add something don't shoehorn something in there especially if it adds to the cost of the hardware significantly. 3D and the tablet controller aren't new, they're jumping on existing readily available bandwagons.

They obviously got stung by the Gamecube which they regarded as a direct hardware competitor with PS2 and Xbox (ignoring that it was inhibited commercially by its quirky controller, reduced storage, lack of DVD-playing) that flopped. The DS and Wii had gimmicks that caught the imagination and were huge successes so now they feel like that's their thing, to try and repeat that success. To me, that's daft. They haven't really competed on hardware since the SNES so there's no way of knowing how a Nintendo machine with similar specs to Sony/MS and all the third-party software *plus* Nintendo games would do.

Their other mistake is being so slow with the community side of it. I'm not a huge online gaming fan but they really should have been into that quickly. They have the IP. Things like Achievements, Friend Lists etc. lock people into an ecosystem-MS will pick up a lot of sales from people who don't want to lose what they've built up. Miiverse is a start but it should have happened years ago, with the Wii really. Likewise the Eshop, they've missed an opportunity with their conservatism and long-prevalent rendency towards price gouging. Backwards compatibility is OK but they could have been pushing people towards the Wii U with the prospect of transferring Wii and VC games bought online straight over. Instead they're trying to charge people fees for transferring over the very few games that are on the Wii U VC.

I have a Wii U now and it's very good but I fear for its future. Nintendo continuing stasis and poor decisions are confusing. I still don't really know what they were trying to do with the Wii U, who it's aimed at, and what the strategy behind it was beyond "it's got Wii on the box, we don't have to do anything, it'll sell loads"
    Great post, I agree with everything you've written.

• nickthegun 11 Oct 2013 10:44:38 60,620 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is particularly good and reasonable.

• Armoured_Bear 11 Oct 2013 10:45:21 11,401 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Grax wrote:
    Anyone going to pick up sonic lost world this month?? I really want it but can't afford to get it this side of christmas
    Nah,
    I quite liked the visuals but didn't enjoy playing it when I tried the demo.

• Armoured_Bear 11 Oct 2013 10:49:22 11,401 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    It is particularly good and reasonable.
    Exactly.

• Deleted user 11 October 2013 10:51:02
    simsini wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

It might be six or seven years, but it's a shorter period than Sony or Microsoft.
    I know the gamepad hasn;t been directly sold to us 100% as a feature yet, but i found it interesting that at E3 this year there was a lot of focus on that use of a second screen via tablets for the other consoles. I think that would have arrived anyway , but i think Nintendo saw that first and utilised it. They do have a knack of doing that, which suggest its apart of the company philosphy.

Also
    I guess as people who do try new stuff, they are open to the most criticism. Yet i do look at my ps4 pre-order and literally see the same machine i had 15 years ago, except with an online infrastructure. I know Nintendo are consersative in reuse of IP, but overall? I don't think they are.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2013 10:57:34
    What i'm trying to say is that i just find the disccusion around Nintendo and Innovation interesting, Playstation and Microsoft don't get called up on Consersative console making, yet the company that tries new things, do. It feels as though it an exclusive disscusion to Nintendo.
  • Pinky_Floyd 11 Oct 2013 11:41:56 8,093 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    What i'm trying to say is that i just find the disccusion around Nintendo and Innovation interesting, Playstation and Microsoft don't get called up on Consersative console making, yet the company that tries new things, do. It feels as though it an exclusive disscusion to Nintendo.
    This is probably the direction I come at it from too.

Just sitting on the couch last night browsing the net on the gamepad and with a tap of an icon I'm now playing Most Wanted. All while the TV is in use by the other half.

Throw in some async gameplay, of which we have probably only see the beginnings of what can be done. Nintendo are the least afraid to try new things out of the big 3.

Even if off tv play and the gamepad aren't your bag, no one can argue that it isn't implemented really well and just works. Unlike kinect for instance, which is now into a rather expensive 2nd iteration which may turn out to be just slightly less shit and still as underused as the first one.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Oct 2013 11:42:03 11,401 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Yes, MS and Sony get away Scot-free as long as they keep upping the power and keep the 3rd parties happy and Nintendo get a hard time, partly because they used to eb really, really special and not just occasionally so.

Pikmin 3 is one of the best games I've played in years, it is an utter joy to play and looks gorgeous, why aren't Nintendo producing other 'new' games like this? I know it's the third game in the series but it's the most recent big new franchise from them.

For years they blasted out amazing new games, one after the other.
    Zelda, Metroid, Earthbound, F-Zero, Diddy Kong Racing, Fire Emblem, Star Tropics, Pilot Wings, Mario Kart, Star Fox, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG, Donkey Kong Country, 1080, Waverace etc.

The vast majority of their resources are now dedicated to sequels which they know will sell, they rarely go all out on something new and ambitious, any new IP is low budget and handheld or casual focused such as Wii Sports or Dylan's Rolling Western.

The penny pinching on hardware is part of it too, no ethernet on a modern console is an embarassingly tight thing to omit, the design of the Wii U to look so much like the Wii is utterly conservative and stupid, ditto the Wii U name.

• Pinky_Floyd 11 Oct 2013 11:50:26 8,093 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lack of an ethernet port is mental.

Despite the wii u's lack of power I'm impressed with the visuals on both 3rd party and first party titles compared to the 360 and the ps3. No tearing and vsync seems to be the order of the day, I don't know if that's something which Nintendo insist that 3rd parties implement, but it removes one of the biggest issues I had with the games on the 360 and PS3. I haven't tried all 3rd party games on the wii u mind, but the one's I have tried such as Sonic Racing have a night and day difference compared to their sister ports. Sonic Racing I can comment on as I have the PC version and also had the PS3 version.

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 11:52:03 11-10-2013

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 11:52:33 11-10-2013
  • nickthegun 11 Oct 2013 11:53:50 60,620 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Theres an argument to be made that sometimes they stop innovating and just try reinventing the wheel.

The resources ploughed into the gamepad would have been better spent on more horses under the bonnet and modernising the wiimore, for example.

The 3D aspect of the 3DS is pretty much a failure, as seen by the 2DS and so on and so forth.

• Sid-Nice 11 Oct 2013 11:56:38 15,852 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Is there somewhere that tells you the download size of the games from the e-store?
    When you click to download there usually is a blue box stating whatever MB/GB the software requires.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Sid-Nice 11 Oct 2013 11:59:35 15,852 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Theres an argument to be made that sometimes they stop innovating and just try reinventing the wheel.

The resources ploughed into the gamepad would have been better spent on more horses under the bonnet and modernising the wiimore, for example.

The 3D aspect of the 3DS is pretty much a failure, as seen by the 2DS and so on and so forth.
    More horses under the bonnet for a Nintendo console would mean; more Barbie Pony trekking and more Pippa Funnell.

NNID Sid-Nice

• neilka 11 Oct 2013 12:04:05 16,329 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Lack of an ethernet port is mental.
    Nintendo must just be relieved that neither of its competitors have included one either.

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Pinky_Floyd 11 Oct 2013 12:05:31 8,093 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @nickthegun Yeah, that's a fair enough argument. Had they added more horses and less gamepad - they end up with a console the same as the other two (except with a far, far worse online offering). Of course they could have added more horses as well as doing the gamepad but the price of the thing would have been a bit scary.

The 3D is a good one, it's so close to being a success but the extremely tight viewing angle is a real killer. The slightest movement off centre and your eyes get raped.
  • vyseofhr 11 Oct 2013 12:12:33 864 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

Other aspects of the 3DS however, such as streetpass, are brilliant and really encourage people to take their 3DS with them wherever they go. So for every failure there's equally a success.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• Youthist 11 Oct 2013 12:15:25 10,028 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the 3D is great when turned down to half way or so.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Pinky_Floyd 11 Oct 2013 12:19:00 8,093 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Youthist I can't fault the effect, it looks brilliant in 3D Mario Land and Ocarina of Time. It's the viewing angle that's the killer.
  • JiveHound 11 Oct 2013 12:19:29 2,564 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'd don't use the 3d on the 3ds for that reason. The narrow viewing angle is terrible.

Shame really because on games like 3d land it's a really nice effect.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Zomoniac 11 Oct 2013 12:22:59 7,867 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    I guess as people who do try new stuff, they are open to the most criticism. Yet i do look at my ps4 pre-order and literally see the same machine i had 15 years ago, except with an online infrastructure. I know Nintendo are consersative in reuse of IP, but overall? I don't think they are.
    Same machine, different software. And that's fine by me. Sony are taking a proven approach with their hardware, familiarity, more power, a standard controller, and using that to power new games like Journey, Tokyo Jungle, Beyond, Unfinished Swan, Flower and the like, knowing if they don't sell then no problem, they can just offset the cost with however many spare millions the next Naughty Dog game makes. Given the choice between trying new software on a standard controller and playing the same Mario and Zelda games for the rest of eternity on some wild and wacky controller I'll take the former every time.
  • Page

of 1373 First / Last