Wii U Page 954

• Page

of 1354 First / Last

• Armoured_Bear 6 Oct 2013 23:10:49 10,506 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Luckyjim wrote:
    As I said, I'm not really having a go at those involved in the conversation. I just find, a lot of the time, discussions about specs can be counterproductive. More often than not, as a metric, they're used as a rod to beat perceived opponents with, be it consoles, developers or forumites.

But, of course, I'm happy to acknowledge that there are those that wish to discuss such things because they genuinely have an interest in hardware architecture.
    They don't really matter, all the new consoles are capable of producing beautiful games and people (including me) get too hung up on them.

The bananas dude kept posting nonsense over and over, I couldn't help myself :-)

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Pinky_Floyd 6 Oct 2013 23:19:55 7,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Some portions of t'net are having a right old moan over WWHD being full price.  I didnt have a 3ds at the time, did the Ocarina update also draw this much ire?  EG also gave that a 10.

Perhaps once WW is dusted I should revisit Ocarina after what, 13 odd years?  See if its as good as I remember and check out the 3D.
  • Luckyjim 6 Oct 2013 23:21:46 2,873 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a great version on the 3DS and, surprisingly, translates really well to handheld gaming.
  • spamdangled 6 Oct 2013 23:37:39 27,276 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The last page feels like stumbling into a DF tech analysis thread...

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Pinky_Floyd 6 Oct 2013 23:43:23 7,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @darkmorgado those are mostly pointless and uninformative too.

Aw man, I went there. 
  • Pinky_Floyd 6 Oct 2013 23:43:44 7,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Luckyjim will keep an eye out for a copy.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Oct 2013 00:03:59 10,506 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    rumblesushi wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I loved Super Mario 3D World, it looked lovely and played brilliantly, far better than I expected.

DKCR looked just like the Wii game but much prettier.
    Sonic looked surprisingly pretty in places but did nothing for me at all.
    Wind Waker looked brilliant.
    Mario and Sonic at the WInter Olympics looked decent but more of the same.
    Yeah 3D World is looking superb, definitely my most wanted future Wu game alongside Bayonetta 2.

How come you didn't like Sonic? Just didn't like the gameplay? Do you like any Sonic games?
    I've never been a massive Sonic fan although The Rings one on the Wii was ok, the WiiU one is smooth and good looking but just didn't click.
    I'm not experienced enough with Sonic games to know it was a decent Sonic game or not.
    I tried Sonic Generations on the PC tonight and well, it's pish.
    I just don't click with the, the graphics are nice but the music, voices and sound are horrendous and gameplay wise all it has to offer is speed which gets old fast.
    They're not enjoyable to play at all IMO.

• spamdangled 7 Oct 2013 00:05:18 27,276 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lost World is absolutely nothing like Generations. At all.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Armoured_Bear 7 Oct 2013 00:09:01 10,506 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Lost World is absolutely nothing like Generations. At all.
    No, it seemed better but is def on the meh side from my short game of it, hopefully it's better than my impressions, it could all just be wasted on me.

• Deleted user 7 October 2013 00:16:45
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Luckyjim wrote:
    As I said, I'm not really having a go at those involved in the conversation. I just find, a lot of the time, discussions about specs can be counterproductive. More often than not, as a metric, they're used as a rod to beat perceived opponents with, be it consoles, developers or forumites.

But, of course, I'm happy to acknowledge that there are those that wish to discuss such things because they genuinely have an interest in hardware architecture.
    They don't really matter, all the new consoles are capable of producing beautiful games and people (including me) get too hung up on them.

The bananas dude kept posting nonsense over and over, I couldn't help myself :-)
    Agreed, they are all plenty powerful. I'm still stunned at current gen games, like GTA 5 for example, and plenty of new Wu games look jaw dropping too.

And yeah, Banana Man sure does like relentlessly posting examples of laptop GPUs that are slower than the Wu's :D
  • Deleted user 7 October 2013 00:18:01
    Haven't played Sonic Generations, is that the only recent-ish Sonic that is meant to be good apart from Sonic Colours?

I like Sonic Colours though, in fact that is surely the best Sonic since Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.
  • electrolite 7 Oct 2013 00:29:53 470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @rumblesushi

I've heard horror stories about the battery life, obv. I've not encountered issues yet. That and the lack of analogue triggers aside, the pad overall is very good. I must have had it in my head that Off-TV play would be limited by the screen but it's bloody lovely, very impressed with the viewing angles.
  • electrolite 7 Oct 2013 00:30:56 470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Luckyjim

Agreed, Ocarina is great on the 3DS. They did a nice job with it.
  • Syrette 7 Oct 2013 00:31:34 43,232 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What's with the Wu thing?

• spamdangled 7 Oct 2013 00:35:41 27,276 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    electrolite wrote:
    @rumblesushi

I've heard horror stories about the battery life, obv. I've not encountered issues yet. That and the lack of analogue triggers aside, the pad overall is very good. I must have had it in my head that Off-TV play would be limited by the screen but it's bloody lovely, very impressed with the viewing angles.
    I've not had any problems at all with battery life. Just stick it in the cradle when you're not using it. Of course, it helps if you have a plug socket near your sofa for longer sessions so you can just have it plugged in (and thankfully it doesn't follow the Apple standard of having unrealistically short leads)

• Deleted user 7 October 2013 00:55:03
    Syrette wrote:
    Jonathan Wu.

Edited by rumblesushi at 00:55:29 07-10-2013
  • spamdangled 7 Oct 2013 00:56:43 27,276 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    wu thing clang.

• Deleted user 7 October 2013 01:14:58
    electrolite wrote:
    @rumblesushi

Well, I usually play in a fairly dark room and I like my black levels, so I have brightness on 2, and I still get I reckon around 3 hours battery life, maybe just over. That's really crap.

Not that I ever play for 3 hours or more, but I don't always remember to charge between plays, so it frequently runs out while I'm using it.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2013 01:19:33
    @darkmorgado I don't like cradles, but I guess it helps in this instance. If you automatically put it back in the cradle when you're finished with it, it's always going to be fully charged next time you play.
  • MrFlay 7 Oct 2013 02:00:14 617 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is anyone interested in the new High-Capacity Battery for the Gamepad? They're selling it at Amazon France but not the Amazon UK. I emailed them about it but got no info about why they don't have it in stock. I might just order it from Amazon France as I get pretty pissed with the battery in my Nexus 7 and it's not bad compared to the Gamepad.

My Wii U is coming tomorrow (today) with Wind Waker. I already have Pikmin and Rayman Legends and I will probably get W101 and ZombiU too. And I have tonnes of classic Wii games to acquire for absurd prices. I will be selling my GameCube copy of Twilight Princess to fund some of this spending so it should balance out somewhat. Is Metroid Prime Trilogy worth buying for £47? I played some of the first game on the Cube and I do still have a copy but it doesn't support widescreen. It still looks quite good though.
  • BonzoBanana 7 Oct 2013 07:07:11 88 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    rumblesushi wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Luckyjim wrote:

Agreed, they are all plenty powerful. I'm still stunned at current gen games, like GTA 5 for example, and plenty of new Wu games look jaw dropping too.

And yeah, Banana Man sure does like relentlessly posting examples of laptop GPUs that are slower than the Wu's :D
    It was hardly nonsense at the end, if you remember the original subject matter was about how much silicon was in the wii u compared to a £300 laptop as a discussion of cost. The final example I gave was actually of a gpu of superior complexity to that of the wii u gpu. For some reason you then started mentioning performance but PC's never achieve their full potential there for various reasons. The point was though that it couldn't be achieved at £300 but was slightly more at about £350 laptop retail level.

As for the discussion about 176gflops if you'd googled that you would have found that many are saying the wii u simply isn't consuming enough power to have the stated stream processing units on a 40nm process. That's the issue. That's why there is some that believe the wii u doesn't have 352 gflops because it would have to create more gflops of performance per watt than is expected for that generation chip. Once you add the custom wii graphics hardware and the gpu's built in compression system for the wii u gamepad this seems even more unlikely. So there is a real possibility that 352 figure is inflated.

Most of the most ambitious wii u multiformat games so far, Resident Evil Revelations, Assasin's Creed 3 and Black Ops 2 all underperform on wii u compared to 360 and PS3. This can be either lower frame rates, missing graphic detail or effects.

I find it interesting what is inside the wii u just out of sheer curiousity and what can be expected from the wii u in the future. However I'm still annoyed at just how low Nintendo have gone with the wii u specification. Like most others had said though when your programming the gpu at low level and games like Mario Kart are possible you don't really care.

However there are still many who are claiming the wii u is next gen performance when the reality is its a low cost design to match 360 and PS3 either at 176 or 352 gflops both figures are in exactly the same territory as 360 and PS3 when you add both their cpu and gpu performance together as their cpu's are much more powerful with regard gflops. Where as obviously both xbox one and ps4 are above the terraflops performance level.

Watchdogs should be another interesting indicator of wii u performance, some are expecting the wii u to perform clearly between the current gen and next gen platforms but the expected reality based on what has gone before it, is a wii u version very close to or below current gen. Hopefully with wii u development software a bit more mature they can at least match the ps3 and 360 performance level but we will see.
  • vyseofhr 7 Oct 2013 07:36:26 818 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh god, we're back to Terraflops.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• Armoured_Bear 7 Oct 2013 07:48:43 10,506 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    BonzoBanana wrote:
    rumblesushi wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Luckyjim wrote:

It was hardly nonsense at the end, if you remember the original subject matter was about how much silicon was in the wii u compared to a £300 laptop as a discussion of cost. The final example I gave was actually of a gpu of superior complexity to that of the wii u gpu. For some reason you then started mentioning performance but PC's never achieve their full potential there for various reasons. The point was though that it couldn't be achieved at £300 but was slightly more at about £350 laptop retail level.

As for the discussion about 176gflops if you'd googled that you would have found that many are saying the wii u simply isn't consuming enough power to have the stated stream processing units on a 40nm process. That's the issue. That's why there is some that believe the wii u doesn't have 352 gflops because it would have to create more gflops of performance per watt than is expected for that generation chip. Once you add the custom wii graphics hardware and the gpu's built in compression system for the wii u gamepad this seems even more unlikely. So there is a real possibility that 352 figure is inflated.

Most of the most ambitious wii u multiformat games so far, Resident Evil Revelations, Assasin's Creed 3 and Black Ops 2 all underperform on wii u compared to 360 and PS3. This can be either lower frame rates, missing graphic detail or effects.

I find it interesting what is inside the wii u just out of sheer curiousity and what can be expected from the wii u in the future. However I'm still annoyed at just how low Nintendo have gone with the wii u specification. Like most others had said though when your programming the gpu at low level and games like Mario Kart are possible you don't really care.

However there are still many who are claiming the wii u is next gen performance when the reality is its a low cost design to match 360 and PS3 either at 176 or 352 gflops both figures are in exactly the same territory as 360 and PS3 when you add both their cpu and gpu performance together as their cpu's are much more powerful with regard gflops. Where as obviously both xbox one and ps4 are above the terraflops performance level.

Watchdogs should be another interesting indicator of wii u performance, some are expecting the wii u to perform clearly between the current gen and next gen platforms but the expected reality based on what has gone before it, is a wii u version very close to or below current gen. Hopefully with wii u development software a bit more mature they can at least match the ps3 and 360 performance level but we will see.
    I can give you a list of games that perform better if you like :-)
    As for Watchdogs, the EG recently had a chat with the Creative DIrector and wrote "And as for the look of the game, Morin expects the PC build to remain the best-looking version, with Wii U's graphical fidelity lying somewhere in between current and next-gen offerings."

Who said anyone is programming at "low level"?
    Wii U has an API based around OpenGL..

Shin'en said..

“The Wii U GPU is several generations ahead of the current gen. It allows many things that were not possible on consoles before. If you develop for Wii U you have to take advantage of these possibilities, otherwise your performance is of course limited. Also your engine layout needs to be different. You need to take advantage of the large shared memory of the Wii U, the huge and very fast EDRAM section and the big CPU caches in the cores. Especially the workings of the CPU caches are very important to master. Otherwise you can lose a magnitude of power for cache relevant parts of your code. In the end the Wii U specs fit perfectly together and make a very efficient console when used right.”

You remind me of vizzini...

• nickthegun 7 Oct 2013 07:51:46 59,338 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Its the charming tale of a simpleton who spelled John woo incorrectly and has decided to keep doing it to save face.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• ashfov 7 Oct 2013 08:22:48 33 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    MrFlay wrote:
    Is anyone interested in the new High-Capacity Battery for the Gamepad? They're selling it at Amazon France but not the Amazon UK. I emailed them about it but got no info about why they don't have it in stock. I might just order it from Amazon France as I get pretty pissed with the battery in my Nexus 7 and it's not bad compared to the Gamepad.

My Wii U is coming tomorrow (today) with Wind Waker. I already have Pikmin and Rayman Legends and I will probably get W101 and ZombiU too. And I have tonnes of classic Wii games to acquire for absurd prices. I will be selling my GameCube copy of Twilight Princess to fund some of this spending so it should balance out somewhat. Is Metroid Prime Trilogy worth buying for £47? I played some of the first game on the Cube and I do still have a copy but it doesn't support widescreen. It still looks quite good though.

I stumbled across a copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy in my local Cash Generator about a month ago and couldn't contain my excitement. Turned it over and priced at £4.99!! I'd been looking for this for ages as I always expected I would pick up a Wii U at some point. Giddy with kiddie excitement I strolled to the till happy as Larry...the assistant after much faffing found the disc which had been stuffed into a cardboard sleeve with about 10 other discs. My heart dropped when I looked at the disc and it was covered in what going on be described as deep gouges, as if somebody had literally attacked it with a knife. The assistant ran it through a cleaning machine but if made sod all difference. She then said she was surprised that it had been bought it in the first place...left totally gutted and inconsolable for the rest of the day.

To balance this out I have had mint copies of Kula World on the PS1 and the GC copy of Twilight Princess out of there at various times which I've sold for very handsome profits. I also noticed a copy of Twin Snakes in a a South Wales branch just before last Christmas, just as I was about to grab it another chap beat me to it and walked straight to the till giving me a sly knowing smile. Grrr!
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Oct 2013 08:42:21 10,506 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ashfov wrote:
    MrFlay wrote:

I stumbled across a copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy in my local Cash Generator about a month ago and couldn't contain my excitement. Turned it over and priced at £4.99!! I'd been looking for this for ages as I always expected I would pick up a Wii U at some point. Giddy with kiddie excitement I strolled to the till happy as Larry...the assistant after much faffing found the disc which had been stuffed into a cardboard sleeve with about 10 other discs. My heart dropped when I looked at the disc and it was covered in what going on be described as deep gouges, as if somebody had literally attacked it with a knife. The assistant ran it through a cleaning machine but if made sod all difference. She then said she was surprised that it had been bought it in the first place...left totally gutted and inconsolable for the rest of the day.

To balance this out I have had mint copies of Kula World on the PS1 and the GC copy of Twilight Princess out of there at various times which I've sold for very handsome profits. I also noticed a copy of Twin Snakes in a a South Wales branch just before last Christmas, just as I was about to grab it another chap beat me to it and walked straight to the till giving me a sly knowing smile. Grrr!
    I still have my sealed Metroid Prime Trilogy, it's one of the few games that I'd like to replay some day..

• Pinky_Floyd 7 Oct 2013 08:47:44 7,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have a sealed copy tucked away and an unsealed that I play :)
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Oct 2013 09:14:30 10,506 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    I have a sealed copy tucked away and an unsealed that I play :)
    Ooeew, get you!

• MoGamer2006 7 Oct 2013 09:43:21 975 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have a sealed UK copy, sealed US copy and an unsealed UK copy to play - they're my pension plan. I'll be rich, I tells ya, rich!!!
  • Pinky_Floyd 7 Oct 2013 09:53:00 7,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Git.
  • Page

of 1354 First / Last