Wii U Page 952

• Page

of 1363 First / Last

• Armoured_Bear 6 Oct 2013 14:36:04 11,268 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    rumblesushi wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear what did you think of the new Mario Kart?
    It plays just like normal Mario Kart, nothing revolutionary but it's really gorgeous, silky smooth and controls beautifully. I can't wait for it.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 6 Oct 2013 14:43:25 11,268 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I loved Super Mario 3D World, it looked lovely and played brilliantly, far better than I expected.

DKCR looked just like the Wii game but much prettier.
    Sonic looked surprisingly pretty in places but did nothing for me at all.
    Wind Waker looked brilliant.
    Mario and Sonic at the WInter Olympics looked decent but more of the same.

• Cappy 6 Oct 2013 14:43:46 11,940 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    WWHD is a huge upgrade and the best of its kind I have seen. 6 months for all this seems pretty incredible to me and must surely show how little effort goes into most HD upgrades.
    You're missing an equally important number though, how many staff were working on Wind Waker in that six months. Duration is all but irrelevant if you don't know whether that indicates the entire Zelda team or just a small split off team of less than ten.

If Nintendo's recent performance is any indication I'd bet on the entire team being tied up, which is pretty poor in terms of efficiency.
  • Deleted user 6 October 2013 14:45:46
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I loved Super Mario 3D World, it looked lovely and played brilliantly, far better than I expected.

Yeah 3D World is looking superb, definitely my most wanted future Wu game alongside Bayonetta 2.

How come you didn't like Sonic? Just didn't like the gameplay? Do you like any Sonic games?
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Oct 2013 14:46:07 11,268 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    WWHD is a huge upgrade and the best of its kind I have seen. 6 months for all this seems pretty incredible to me and must surely show how little effort goes into most HD upgrades.
    You're missing an equally important number though, how many staff were working on Wind Waker in that six months. Duration is all but irrelevant if you don't know whether that indicates the entire Zelda team or just a small split off team of less than ten.

If Nintendo's recent performance is any indication I'd bet on the entire team being tied up, which is pretty poor in terms of efficiency.
    You know fuck all about how many worked on it, you're just putting your usual world-weary negative spin on everything.

• Deleted user 6 October 2013 14:47:07
    Cappy wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:

If only they could become as efficient as you, and design a new dungeon in a couple of days ;)
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Oct 2013 14:50:43 11,268 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    rumblesushi wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Yeah 3D World is looking superb, definitely my most wanted future Wu game alongside Bayonetta 2.

How come you didn't like Sonic? Just didn't like the gameplay? Do you like any Sonic games?
    I've never been a massive Sonic fan although The Rings one on the Wii was ok, the WiiU one is smooth and good looking but just didn't click.
    I'm not experienced enough with Sonic games to know it was a decent Sonic game or not.

• Short-Round 6 Oct 2013 15:13:40 1,181 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    rumblesushi wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

According to the Bitsocket videp posted, the new Sonic isn't traditional, it's one of those where you have to hold the trigger to accelerate, like a racer. Fuck that. Does look pretty though.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Oct 2013 15:18:38 11,268 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Short-Round wrote:
    rumblesushi wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

According to the Bitsocket videp posted, the new Sonic isn't traditional, it's one of those where you have to hold the trigger to accelerate, like a racer. Fuck that. Does look pretty though.
    Yep, you hold down ZR to go fast, you walk/run slowly with the analogue stick.
    The cake level is lovely looking though.

• Armoured_Bear 6 Oct 2013 15:24:54 11,268 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I had a go on the PS4 today and I'm way more excited for the Wii U at this point...

• Pinky_Floyd 6 Oct 2013 15:27:48 7,907 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Cappy Was thinking about that earlier, but have no idea so its just conjecture.

Even if the team was huge I still think its quite an achievement to get it all done in 6 months. When you play the game its crazy the amount of things that have actually changed since the original.

The textures, the sound, the gamepad, the gyro controls, the changes and new functionality. Its a lot to get in there.
  • beastmaster 6 Oct 2013 15:47:24 11,418 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I had a go on the PS4 today and I'm way more excited for the Wii U at this point...
    Indeed. Think I'll wait for the Lego City bundle in a couple of weeks time before I join the fold.

Any recommendation for an external 2TB HD?

Edit: I like the sound of Sonic with those controls.

Edited by beastmaster at 15:48:51 06-10-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Cappy 6 Oct 2013 16:31:20 11,940 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    rumblesushi wrote:
    If only they could become as efficient as you, and design a new dungeon in a couple of days ;)
    What? Are we still stuck on that old chessnut? An enemy clearance dungeon, just floors packed with enemies, which is what I was talking about, yes. They are put together very quickly.

You'd be better off devoting your time to self improvement, such as fixing your shitty taste in films. Hard Boiled is cheesy, peurile trash, totally devoid of any merit. Are you thirteen years old or something? I suspect I couldn't have stomached that garbage even when I was that age.

Or maybe that's the whole point of the 'John Wu' thing, like with like, trash with trash.
  • Gregolution 6 Oct 2013 16:36:08 3,258 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Yeah me too, which is surprising because I love my PS3 and have been looking forward to PS4 for ages.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Oct 2013 16:55:39 11,268 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    rumblesushi wrote:
    What? Are we still stuck on that old chessnut? An enemy clearance dungeon, just floors packed with enemies, which is what I was talking about, yes. They are put together very quickly.

You'd be better off devoting your time to self improvement, such as fixing your shitty taste in films. Hard Boiled is cheesy, peurile trash, totally devoid of any merit. Are you thirteen years old or something? I suspect I couldn't have stomached that garbage even when I was that age.

Or maybe that's the whole point of the 'John Wu' thing, like with like, trash with trash.
    WTF is a "chessnut"?
    WTF does "puerile" mean?

Are you thirteen years old or something?

• Deleted user 6 October 2013 16:55:58
    Cappy wrote:
    rumblesushi wrote:

You're a retard who has no idea what he's talking about. Are you a game developer? If not, shut the fuck up with your "dungeon in a few days" bullshit, you twat.
  • Pinky_Floyd 6 Oct 2013 17:34:15 7,907 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    When did Hard Boiled stop being awesome? I totally missed that memo.
  • Deleted user 6 October 2013 17:48:22
    It's not awesome if you're a nerdy little arsewipe like Cappy, who's stuck up his own arse.
  • BonzoBanana 6 Oct 2013 18:13:25 88 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    rumblesushi wrote:
    @BonzoBanana tbh I wasn't really sure what your point was with the scaling, as all laptops can have the display set at a lower than native resolution and scale full screen. Did you mean that AMD has better built in scaling than the Intel GPUs?

And because I agree with you about launch prices/profits, it might seem like I'm arguing semantics about GPUs, but no. Because quite simply, you can't get a 300 quid PC that plays games as well as the Wu. At least not one with a screen. A 300 quid laptop is awful for gaming.
    Always factor in that PC games are going through the Direct X API and also running a operating system and a lot of performance is lost. Part of the superiority of the wii u gpu is low level access and less shared resources. Reading on various forums many are stating the latte is actually at about 176 gflops of performance not 352 gflops. This could be true and if so many IGP's that you could find on 300 laptops are close to or above the latte. Even at 352 gflops it would be easy to find a laptop at 350 that exceeds the latte before discounting. Of course this doesn't offer comparable performance to the wii u because of this. AMD's Mantle will address this performance issue which is why many are suggesting a migration back to PC as the next generation of consoles are fairly low performance.

A6 laptop
  • Deleted user 6 October 2013 18:18:28
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    @BonzoBanana
    Wubd waker was advertised on itv during the celtuc vs barca match
    Aye i seen a few on sky sports news as well.
  • Syrette 6 Oct 2013 18:25:25 43,503 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    *saw

• Raiko101 6 Oct 2013 18:33:41 6,312 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    *Sawded.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Syrette 6 Oct 2013 18:36:48 43,503 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    *sawdust

• Deleted user 6 October 2013 18:48:42
    BonzoBanana wrote:
    rumblesushi wrote:
    @BonzoBanana tbh I wasn't really sure what your point was with the scaling, as all laptops can have the display set at a lower than native resolution and scale full screen. Did you mean that AMD has better built in scaling than the Intel GPUs?

And because I agree with you about launch prices/profits, it might seem like I'm arguing semantics about GPUs, but no. Because quite simply, you can't get a 300 quid PC that plays games as well as the Wu. At least not one with a screen. A 300 quid laptop is awful for gaming.
    Always factor in that PC games are going through the Direct X API and also running a operating system and a lot of performance is lost. Part of the superiority of the wii u gpu is low level access and less shared resources. Reading on various forums many are stating the latte is actually at about 176 gflops of performance not 352 gflops. This could be true and if so many IGP's that you could find on 300 laptops are close to or above the latte. Even at 352 gflops it would be easy to find a laptop at 350 that exceeds the latte before discounting. Of course this doesn't offer comparable performance to the wii u because of this. AMD's Mantle will address this performance issue which is why many are suggesting a migration back to PC as the next generation of consoles are fairly low performance.

A6 laptop
    You do realise that 8250 in your link is utter crap? It's not even as good as an HD 3000, let alone the Wu GPU.
  • ashfov 6 Oct 2013 19:19:15 33 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Popped out today for the figurative bag of sugar and ended up coming home with the special edition Wind Waker hardware bundle, Monster Hunter Ultimate, Lego City Undercover and Super Mario & Super Luigi brothers. I did have some old PS3 stuff and a 3DS to trade in so got the lot for 260!

Not bothered with games for quite a while but WW looks so good with the HD treatment and the upcoming Mario also looks like it is going to be awesome. Well aware I've bought a system that isn't going to attract much 3rd party support but I don't get time to game much nowadays so I'm just going to make do with the titles I've got and enjoy them. One of the reasons for dropping gaming in the past was just an overload of titles and getting to the point of the idea of games appealing more than the actual playing of them. I remember as a kid buying a game and sticking with it and loving it for months on end...that's really the sort of feeling I want to get back instead of just buying and never playing titles.

Anyway, just finished setting the system up. Got to be honest I'm a bit unsure about the Zelda decoration on the gamepad but I suppose it's different...also noticed a fair bit of rattling coming from the gamepad but Google seems to think this is pretty much common to every pad. Once charged I'm going to get some Monster Hunter going and then get WW downloaded later, shame not a physical copy.

I did notice that Zombi U is only 8 in CEX and I was debating getting that but inline with my earlier thoughts I decided to leave that for now...will that be worth picking up at some future point as I've heard mixed things about that.

As an aside I've just instigated the Nintendo account through the machine set up and would love to get some friends on there so feel free to add me the Network ID is Shackleton.
  • Raiko101 6 Oct 2013 19:25:00 6,312 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Zombi for 8 quid is well worth a stab.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• BonzoBanana 6 Oct 2013 19:26:38 88 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @rumblesushi

You do realise that 8250 in your link is utter crap? It's not even as good as an HD 3000, let alone the Wu GPU.
    I do now! I was trying to avoid refurbished or discounted models but it looks like that is the only way to achieve a superior gpu at 300 if the wii u is 352gflops which it may not be. I'm surprised they have used the A6 name on that processor its pretty damn poor gpu wise. Clearly though for desktop models it would be easy to massively surpass the wii u gpu but then that wasn't the point admittedly.

This is my next attempt, actually appears to be a very similar chip to the latte but run at a slightly lower speed, however combined with a hugely more powerful processor and memory bandwidth clearly a much more powerful system in hardware. But as said previously many aren't accepting the 352 gflops figure for the wii u gpu now and believe its significantly less than stated on that link;

http://www.ebuyer.com/519918-acer-aspire-v5-551-laptop-nx-m43ek-003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_7000_Series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latte_%28graphics_chip%29
  • CharlieStCloud 6 Oct 2013 19:30:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @ashfov

You have got four of the best Wii U games (four and a half, if you count the New Super Luigi U add-on too) and I say this in the kindest possible way; you really do NOT need to worry about buying any other game(s) for a while ... or at least until Super Mario 3D World is out!
  • Pinky_Floyd 6 Oct 2013 19:34:42 7,907 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ashfov Shackleton, will add you later.

PinkyFloyd is mine if anyone wants to add.
  • Deleted user 6 October 2013 19:37:41
    Bonzo, that chip is very similar to the HD 3000 performance wise, so still a lot worse than the Latte. I've also heard nothing to suggest the Latte is less than 3 fiddy flops.

So basically, getting a laptop for the same price as a launch Wu, with better gaming performance is impossible. You'd have to go up into the dedicated GPU tier of laptops to get better performance. Or of course a desktop, but that would be sans screen.
  • Page

of 1363 First / Last