Wii U Page 809

• Page

of 1343 First / Last

• MrTomFTW Moderator 22 Jul 2013 10:06:23 37,295 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh my God are you both 12? Knock it off.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• DFawkes 22 Jul 2013 10:07:12 22,580 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mazty wrote:
    A group of like-minded people who all own a Wii U?
    Indeed, it's a lovely place. People that visit for the specific intention of being needlessly unpleasant are blocked off, so generally it's all about the games. It is a shame that human nature means people do try to be less that civil sometimes, making moderation necessary, but it fits fairly well with the Miiverse per game design.

Of course there are times where people do go off-topic, like all the Willem Defoe stuff, but it's not harmful and people don't seem to mind just rolling with it :)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Pinky_Floyd 22 Jul 2013 10:11:22 7,337 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Oh my God are you both 12? Knock it off.
    Will I fuck knock it off - he's posting deliberately to be an asshole - he deserves to be told to fuck off.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 22 Jul 2013 10:13:39 37,295 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, he's an arsehole and you're being a child calling him spatzy.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Stickman 22 Jul 2013 10:15:45 29,647 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes, calling someone a cunt is as bad as being a cunt.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Pinky_Floyd 22 Jul 2013 10:15:46 7,337 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Yes, it is a little childish - though entirely accurate.
  • DFawkes 22 Jul 2013 10:45:22 22,580 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mazty wrote:
    Random question - can you choose your own avatar on it? And if so, how many are MLP avatars? Also as a serious question are the mods nintendo employees or volunteers?
    It uses your Mii, so you can have that look however you like in that regard. You can also chose their facial expression, should that matter to you.

There are a few that've been edited to look like characters such as Darth Vadar and Iron Man, but nothing so outlandish as cartoon horses, which take it outside the avatar editors capabilities.

Not sure if they're employees of volunteers. I always assumed they're paid to do it, but I'm not sure.

• midi82 22 Jul 2013 10:54:25 661 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I find it's always good to be able to ask a question, if I get stuck in Super Metroid or something a quick post to ask for help. Then I can carry on and try and figure it out, if not within a few minutes someone has generally posted an answer. It's quicker than looking up an FAQ.
  • Progguitarist 22 Jul 2013 11:08:15 10,398 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's like a smart phone but not quite as responsive and no swipe function.
  • midi82 22 Jul 2013 11:16:32 661 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    yep, qwerty keyboard, finger or stylus or anything else you want to jab at the screen.

I find it great for Lovefilm or anything that needs text entry. Much, much better that trying to use a pad to type stuff.
  • Ashleyfiddes 22 Jul 2013 11:19:59 980 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @midi82 does lovefilm work on the gamepad? i have heard netflix does but wasnt sure about lovefilm
  • DFawkes 22 Jul 2013 11:20:43 22,580 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's easier to post screenshots directly on Miiverse for some things, if it's a puzzle you need help for which is made easier to share by having the screenshot right there. Plus I don't always have my phone beside me, and Miiverse is responsive enough (now, at least).

Granted, there are certainly times where it's easier to have your phone ready, like if there's a checklist you're working down and completing stage by stage, but there are things that Miiverse is better for.

• Deckard1 22 Jul 2013 11:22:48 27,024 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Someone will report him; at first I thought Deckard1 had bit the bullet and bought a Wii U. Deckard1 hasn't been seen since he went marching to Newcastle Exhibition Park on Saturday.
    Hush now Sid. You really are getting too old for this stuff now.
  • Progguitarist 22 Jul 2013 11:27:40 10,398 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I still can't get Netflix to work on it.
  • midi82 22 Jul 2013 11:47:49 661 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It works fine for lovefilm, never tried netflix.
  • Sid-Nice 22 Jul 2013 11:51:35 15,852 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The guy who is spamming the MiiVerse for friends (who I stupidly added to my friends list) strangely according to his status in my 'Friends List' was "Last online over a month ago." Is it possible to video chat in MiiVerse using a PC or mobile device other than the Gamepad?

NNID Sid-Nice

• midi82 22 Jul 2013 11:54:16 661 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought that you could only browse and post text messages from a browser. I would have thought everything else was restricted to the Wii U.
  • RyanDS 22 Jul 2013 12:38:13 9,050 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Spazty, not spatzy.

Because he is a spaz see? And his name is mazty.
  • Ashleyfiddes 22 Jul 2013 12:41:06 980 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    what is a yeah? and what do you win if you get 1?
  • Pinky_Floyd 22 Jul 2013 12:45:01 7,337 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Spazty, not spatzy.

Because he is a spaz see? And his name is mazty.
    That old zt combination seems to be tripping a lot of people up.
  • Pinky_Floyd 22 Jul 2013 12:46:01 7,337 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ashleyfiddes wrote:
    what is a yeah? and what do you win if you get 1?
    It's kind of like the +1 you can give on the comments here on EG. What do you get? Absolutely nothing, unless you crave attention, then you may get a warm glowing feeling inside your bottom.
  • Pinky_Floyd 23 Jul 2013 14:30:05 7,337 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shinen are a clever bunch of guys - only 5 of them I think - but they do seem to like the wii u architecture for whatever reason. They are a modest bunch - they reckon they don't deserve the praise they got for the graphics in nano assault neo, simply because they did hardly any deep diving or optimising of the game as the hardware ran the game well enough without having to do these things.

They do get a bit of flack now and again but their opinions are mostly solid. They think that games are pretty much hitting the point where they look good enough. They feel it's not really better looking games that's needed, but better games full stop. Controversial given that EG gave Nano Assualt Neo 4/10 although to be fair, that was the lowest score by far and the metascore is up in the 70's.

To the best of my knowledge they don't use any middleware and code directly to the machine - it's fair to say they are a talented bunch and certainly a knowledgeable bunch.

So given that background, they talk a little about the 32mb of edram in the wii u - and how it's going to be useful for 1080p rendering using the framebuffers.

Try to be nice, I do find snippets like this interesting when teased out like this - not just for wii u - but for all the gaming tech. Stuff like this seems to bring the worst out in people when it comes to the wii u but I'm just trying to share some interesting snippets of info.

Also, HD Warriors is a horrendous name for a website.

/sicks up a little

PS - if you are on twitter I heartily recommend following Shinen

http://hdwarriors.com/general-impression-of-wii-u-edram-explained-by-shinen/

Manfred Linzner of Shin’en:

Wii U eDRAM usage is comparable to the eDRAM in the XBOX360, but on Wii U you have enough eDRAM to use it for 1080p rendering.

In comparison, on XBOX360 you usually had to render in sub 720p resolutions or in mutliple passes. Even if you don’t use MSAA (MultiSample Anti-Aliasing) you already need around 16Mb just for a 1080p framebuffer (with double buffering). You simply don’t have that with XBOX360 eDRAM. As far as I know Microsoft corrected that issue and put also 32MB of Fast Ram into their new console.

We use the eDRAM in the Wii U for the actual framebuffers, intermediate framebuffer captures, as a fast scratch memory for some CPU intense work and for other GPU memory writes. Using eDRAM properly is a simple way to get extra performance without any other optimizations. In general, development for Wii U CPU+GPU is simple. You don’t need complicated setups or workarounds for things like HDR(High Dynamic Range)or linear RGB (Color Modeling). What we also like is that there are plenty of possibilities for speeding up your rendering and code, but you don’t have to dig deep for them to get proper performance.

For instance, all of our shaders used in ‘Nano Assault Neo’ are not really optimized. We just used the first iteration of them because they were already fast enough. We looked later through the shaders dis-assembly and noticed we can make them 30-40% faster by better pipeline usage or better hints for the shader compiler.

As ‘Nano Assault Neo’ never had a problem running at 60fps (including a 2nd screen rendering at 60fps on the GamePad) we didn’t have to do that kind of optimizations back then. For CPU usage ‘Nano Assault Neo’ only used the main CPU core. The two other cores were almost idle, beside a few percent used for our audio thread.

So all in all ‘Nano Assault Neo’ only used a fraction of the currently available resources on Wii U and looks and plays quite nice. And for the future, don’t forget that in many consoles, early in their life cycle, not all resources were already useable or accessible via the SDK (Software Development Kit). So we are sure the best is yet to come for Wii U.’
  • CharlieStCloud 23 Jul 2013 14:40:02 5,011 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    At first, I thought they were comparing the Wii U's eDRAM to the Xbox One!

That's what you get for reading hastily.

... bit disappointed to see '360' instead of 'One'.

Nano Assault Neo is a great little game however, something like Super Stardust HD and Geometry Wars are more enjoyable to play. Not overly sure why, just is me thinks.
  • neilka 23 Jul 2013 14:43:43 15,617 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BUT THE SHADERS CHARLIE
  • Pinky_Floyd 23 Jul 2013 14:51:12 7,337 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Unoptimised shaders sounds like it could be fatal.

/visits doctor
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Jul 2013 14:56:23 10,232 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    At first, I thought they were comparing the Wii U's eDRAM to the Xbox One!

That's what you get for reading hastily.

... bit disappointed to see '360' instead of 'One'.

Nano Assault Neo is a great little game however, something like Super Stardust HD and Geometry Wars are more enjoyable to play. Not overly sure why, just is me thinks.
    He is comparing to the Onesie really, the 360 has 10MB EDRAM, the Onesie, like thw WiiU has 32MB.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• AceGrace 23 Jul 2013 15:14:57 1,011 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    I still can't get Netflix to work on it.
    Works fine for me. Perhaps delete and re-download?
  • Page

of 1343 First / Last