Wii U Page 789

• Page

of 1347 First / Last

• kalel 16 Jul 2013 13:08:14 86,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I liked the Cube a lot, but like subsequent Nintendo consoles I could never have had it as my only console. It had a few brilliant games I liked a lot, and one or two of my favourites of all time like Eternal Darkness, but I'd have still swapped it for a PS2 or Xbox in a heartbeat if I'd had to.

I'd have probably have chosen the Dreamcast over the Cube as well.
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Jul 2013 13:25:22 10,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I loved the GC but I wish I had've gotten a PS2 as well, it's library was fantastic. I was only just getting into gaming again and very much the Ninty fanboy, shame.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• CharlieStCloud 16 Jul 2013 13:30:10 5,069 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I loved the GC but I wish I had've gotten a PS2 as well, it's library was fantastic. I was only just getting into gaming again and very much the Ninty fanboy, shame.
    Likewise!
  • Afiddes 16 Jul 2013 13:31:28 1,164 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    i have owned every console from the big three, including handhelds (saga/M$) since the N64, Dreamcast and PS.

Each console has had a different reason to buy, but the underlying reason to pick up Nintendo consoles from the 64 is Nintendo games. PlayStation have had better third party support since day one and it very quickly moved Nintendo from the SNES era of having the one console you would need to having a Nintendo console as your secondary machine. The dreamcast was without a doubt the best console of that gen though, its a shame more people didn't pick it up.

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• Deleted user 16 July 2013 13:34:32
    its the little details, the handle on the GC was great, it felt a bit stupid as i wondered if the lunchbox effect would ruin the inside but the thought was there.

Come across this as well, the famicom with controller rests:

Edited by joelstinton at 13:35:03 16-07-2013

Edited by joelstinton at 13:35:34 16-07-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Jul 2013 13:38:58 10,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That's the sad thing about the Wii U design, it's utterly sterile, conservative and dull. GC may have had some dodgy colour choices and been seen as "teh" kiddy but at least it had some character and an interesting shape.

• LeoliansBro 16 Jul 2013 13:40:04 43,227 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes but the WiiU didn't fail because it looked like a single DIN car stereo.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Humperfunk 16 Jul 2013 13:41:11 1,933 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cube was great but was definitely my "third" out of the three consoles in that generation.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• Deleted user 16 July 2013 13:41:15
    unfortunately so, but its the era we live in. It has to look good or anonymous. Can thank apple for that. Even so, isn't the wii u elongated to keep it sleek for that reason?
  • Ashleyfiddes 16 Jul 2013 13:43:05 980 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @LeoliansBro you could say the wii u failed because the GameCube looked like a single din car radio ( whatever that is, I'm guessing its cube shaped purple and looks kiddy)
  • CharlieStCloud 16 Jul 2013 13:44:03 5,069 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Honestly believe the Wii U console looks crap.

... just looks like a long, bloated and puffed-out Wii.

Think the PSone, slim line PlayStation 2 and GameCube are the best looking ones!

I like the PS4 the most (out of all three new consoles).
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Jul 2013 13:51:47 10,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Honestly believe the Wii U console looks crap.

... just looks like a long, bloated and puffed-out Wii.

Think the PSone, slim line PlayStation 2 and GameCube are the best looking ones!

I like the PS4 the most (out of all three new consoles).
    Yep, PS4 seems by far the prettiest of the 3 new ones.

• Armoured_Bear 16 Jul 2013 13:52:29 10,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Yes but the WiiU didn't fail because it looked like a single DIN car stereo.
    No but the conservatism behind it is part of the bigger problem.

• Progguitarist 16 Jul 2013 13:54:12 10,401 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I got a Gamecube on launch day. Sold it 2 weeks later and then re-bought one when Metroid Prime was released.

That was such an amazing game.
  • midi82 16 Jul 2013 13:55:15 661 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    so you have form for buying consoles, being unimpressed and then buying them again when the right game comes out.
  • Steve_Perry 16 Jul 2013 14:32:10 3,578 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7645221632/h785283BB

Edited by Steve_Perry at 14:35:56 16-07-2013

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Deleted user 16 July 2013 20:31:34
    New Sonic Trailer.

• Progguitarist 16 Jul 2013 20:34:09 10,401 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @midi82 No. Just the Gamecube.
  • JiveHound 16 Jul 2013 22:04:25 2,341 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    An answer to Leolian's Bro from earlier. Work in a kitchen so no internet and my phones most sophisticated app is a torch.

In terms of the Gamecubes uniqueness. I said 'eccentricities', that doesn't necessarily mean unique. The gamecube had the little discs continuing their insistence on their own software solution stemming from the N64 carts which must have limited the amount of data a developer could feasibly get on the thing. Also the pad wasn't exactly shooter friendly which was becoming the dominant genre at the time.

The actual power of the console was actually pretty good, trumping the PS2 and only being slightly outdone by the Xbox if I remember correctly.

And although I bought the Gamecube for Mario Sunshine it was pretty disappointing. The long droughts meant I sold it early on and missed out on Windwaker, Metroid Prime and the Pikmins.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Pinky_Floyd 17 Jul 2013 07:22:56 7,409 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A gentle reminder to the other 2 wii u owners on here that NES Donkey Kong is on the store for 30p at the moment, and it's surprisingly faithful to the original and extremely playable, though I believe there are only 3 screens compared to the arcade's 4.

Had a bit of fun knocking the big fella off his girder last night :)
  • neilka 17 Jul 2013 08:57:59 15,661 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is that what they're calling it now?
  • JiveHound 17 Jul 2013 09:06:59 2,341 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Donkey Kong for 30p. It would be rude not to. The last 30p game I didn't bother with.

I might watch King of Kong again to inspire me.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Cappy 17 Jul 2013 09:37:03 11,830 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you were prepared to import and deep mine the catalogue the Gamecube probably had the next best console software lineup after the PS2 for it's generation.

The problem was, it was a really steep fall off between the PS2 and everything else, for instance you would start to feel a bit hard done by after finishing Eternal Darkness and see that PS2 owners are enjoying Silent Hill which looks much more sophisticated in style and tone, and then you see that they've got Fatal Frame and plethora of other similar titles in the pipeline whilst your roster of upcoming games is looking pretty short.

For a short while the Gamecube was a respectable box for fans of adventure/survival horror games but it was clearly just part of Nintendo's launch 'phase' and they never had any interest in maintaining the audience they'd brought in with Resident Evil Remake and Eternal Darkness. Which is bad business all around and gets partners such as Capcom squirming out of exclusivity deals as soon as possible.

Nintendo left the audience to die on the vine for years, why would Capcom keep Resident Evil 4 exclusive? If you bring in exclusive games from a particular genre, you need to make sure that audience has something to play next year and the year after that, otherwise they'll drift off to other platforms, you can't count on them acquiring a taste for Smash Brothers or Mario Kart to keep them around as an active user of your system.

When you keep on narrowing down, maintaining just a select few audiences you're putting all your eggs in one basket, when things don't go your way you end up with a disaster like the Wii U.
  • DFawkes 17 Jul 2013 09:42:28 22,597 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I 100%ed Lego City! Took about 50 hours, though the reward for full completion is a bit disappointing. Still plenty of stuff to play about with that I collected on the way, like legions of minifigures and vehicles, as well as all the Red Block upgrades, so I'll still return to it just to mess around, much like I do with Crackdown.

I almost gave up on one thing in Cherry Tree Hill. I would've sworn I'd been everywhere and done everything, but it said I was missing 1 character unlock token. Turns out it was a tree I hadn't painted. 1 bloody tree. Must've ran right past it and never scanned it once! Got it now though.

Edited by DFawkes at 09:42:57 17-07-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Pinky_Floyd 17 Jul 2013 09:44:58 7,409 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I 100%ed Lego City! Took about 50 hours, though the reward for full completion is a bit disappointing. Still plenty of stuff to play about with that I collected on the way, like legions of minifigures and vehicles, as well as all the Red Block upgrades, so I'll still return to it just to mess around, much like I do with Crackdown.

I almost gave up on one thing in Cherry Tree Hill. I would've sworn I'd been everywhere and done everything, but it said I was missing 1 character unlock token. Turns out it was a tree I hadn't painted. 1 bloody tree. Must've ran right past it and never scanned it once! Got it now though.
    Dedication! I still need to complete the story......
  • Pinky_Floyd 17 Jul 2013 10:31:35 7,409 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mazty wrote:
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/419305/bethesda-has-no-games-in-development-for-wii-u/ Who'll be next in saying they ain't got shit in the oven for the Wii U?
    Bethesda haven't released on a Nintendo system in god knows how long - so nothing has changed.
  • nickthegun 17 Jul 2013 10:33:49 58,787 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At this point it would be more of a story to confirm who *was* developing a wii u game.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• CharlieStCloud 17 Jul 2013 10:35:02 5,069 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It seems to me that the only developers who are currently actively making games for the Wii U are:

Ubisoft
    Warner Bros. Games
    ... and Nintendo.

That's it!

Quite worrying.
  • Page

of 1347 First / Last