Wii U Page 768

• Page

of 1369 First / Last

• nickthegun 3 Jul 2013 15:18:11 60,389 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A) you would be surprised

B) you really need multitouch

Im sure some clever fucker will work out how to do it but the few ive tried on the iPad make me think that having a 'proper' RTS on the Wii U pad is basically impossible.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• LeoliansBro 3 Jul 2013 15:19:53 44,502 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the Wiimote would be a better control scheme for console RTS games, not least because you're totally ignoring the telly with your touchscreen RTS and trying to peddle 99p iOS games with a 40 price point.

Which will still be infinitely better on a PC.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 3 Jul 2013 15:27:01 60,389 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If it was ever going to happen with a wiimote, it would have five years ago.

• LeoliansBro 3 Jul 2013 15:29:27 44,502 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup I know.

• midi82 3 Jul 2013 15:29:37 673 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's the thing I can't quite get my head around, if everything is happening on the pad why do you need the TV.

It would need some clever mechanic or something that meant that it would all work together. Just creating a touchscreen RTS wouldn't work.

Maybe some of the indy developers will come up with some stuff for eShop, or even Nintendo. They have done some neat stuff on the 3DS eShop
  • Sid-Nice 3 Jul 2013 15:36:43 15,851 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nick and Leolians are the best double act since Eric and Ernie. :)

Chuckles.

NNID Sid-Nice

• LeoliansBro 3 Jul 2013 15:40:11 44,502 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're the only one around here old enough to remember them, so I'll take your word for it :p

• Sid-Nice 3 Jul 2013 15:44:09 15,851 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wise decision.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Ashleyfiddes 3 Jul 2013 15:45:04 980 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Really I wouldn't take any decision from leolians bro as wise
  • nickthegun 3 Jul 2013 15:46:35 60,389 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Nick and Leolians are the best double act since Eric and Ernie. :)

Chuckles.
    Yes, what a terrible troll I am, pointing out that an proper RTS would be difficult to implement on a Wii U pad. Someone call the pretend internet police.

• DaM 3 Jul 2013 16:25:54 13,324 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The WiiU pad is really not responsive enough, it's nowhere near the iPad in terms of quality. I'm sure there is a technical reason...
  • nickthegun 3 Jul 2013 16:29:45 60,389 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think its more of a financial reason.

• ResidentKnievel 3 Jul 2013 16:55:45 6,237 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My Brother just bought one of these, absolutely incredible you can't play normal two player in Mario Bros. with just a wii-mote and the game pad, your only option is one of you play normally and the other creates blocks.

That and Nintendoland are alright but I feel like he's wasted his money, the games on the system and coming up are re-skins of good games we've played before.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• beastmaster 3 Jul 2013 17:59:50 11,578 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just read the preview of Bayonetta 2 on the front page. Supports the classic controller. Top banana!

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• simsini 4 Jul 2013 10:03:50 317 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    the games on the system and coming up are re-skins of good games we've played before.
    Are you talking about the Wii U, or is this a future review of the Xbox One and PS4?
  • DFawkes 4 Jul 2013 10:07:47 23,278 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's just a preview of almost all new games, pretty much.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Deleted user 4 July 2013 10:27:37
    Its something that Nintendo will just have to take on the chin. They are always going to be called out on the re-hash thing. It would help if they released more New IP on a regular basis, but at the same time, i feel some people judge quickly on trailers without really looking at them.

Aside from all the new items, enemies, power ups, etc (i don't really count that has new stuff really - although they do dramitically change the way the game is played), Super Mario 3D world, as a 3d camera (which i never noticed till today), and the first 3d mario to have 4 player MP, which for any game in a series, is a pretty big upgrade. Which in turns gives the game a different feel - the main level shown in the demos, is quite big, a good size bigger than the 3DLAND, levels. Whether that is going to be a good thing, or not as 3dland levels are percise, and good lengths, i don't know.

It does feel like a proper good sequel to a great game rather than a rehash. I understand people wanting a big 3d mario, pushing graphics etc but, i seriously think 3DWorld looks like a hell of a lot of fun, a nice balance between the 2d and 3d games.
  • jellyBelly 4 Jul 2013 11:10:20 427 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For rts games you could have zoomed in portion of battlefield on the pad and zoomed out on the TV

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• LeoliansBro 4 Jul 2013 11:41:46 44,502 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are plenty of imaginative uses for the Gamepad out there. The problem is, to get the most out of it you need to make it an integral part of the game, which rules out multiplatform games and requires an entirely new way of thinking. If even Nintendo's first party efforts aren't stretching their imagination further than 'a map in your lap' there aren't likely to be many games that really use it.

I'd love to see the Gamepad as a 'damage control' sccreen where you repair your mech or whatever. Or a Metrois scanner with multiple filters you need to hold up in front of your screen to 'see' certain secrets, enemies etc. Or a custom control panel depending on what vehicle you are in. Or anything apart from a map/inventory screen really.

• Armoured_Bear 4 Jul 2013 11:52:32 11,331 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    There are plenty of imaginative uses for the Gamepad out there. The problem is, to get the most out of it you need to make it an integral part of the game, which rules out multiplatform games and requires an entirely new way of thinking. If even Nintendo's first party efforts aren't stretching their imagination further than 'a map in your lap' there aren't likely to be many games that really use it.

I'd love to see the Gamepad as a 'damage control' sccreen where you repair your mech or whatever. Or a Metrois scanner with multiple filters you need to hold up in front of your screen to 'see' certain secrets, enemies etc. Or a custom control panel depending on what vehicle you are in. Or anything apart from a map/inventory screen really.
    A good, reasonable post.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 4 July 2013 11:54:24
    i am expecting a trauma center to appear on the console, always through that was a good use of second screen, although i found the wii one more hair raising because of the actual movement of the wiimote.
  • Sid-Nice 4 Jul 2013 12:13:41 15,851 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Will a pube on the Gamepad screen effect gameplay?

NNID Sid-Nice

• AceGrace 4 Jul 2013 12:23:07 1,186 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Why has been bought second hand from Game?
  • figaro7 5 Jul 2013 04:27:12 1,366 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Picked up black ops 2 and really enjoying the online side of things, its awesome playing this on the gamepad, but its even better picking up the wiimote and nunchuck and playing on the big screen. Its a great looking game as well, even on the gamepad it looks stellar, its only call of duty but treyarch have always handled the nintendo systems well, kudos to them.
  • Pinky_Floyd 5 Jul 2013 09:02:08 8,026 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Now I've finished the last of us I'm thinking of selling my ps3 and 360 as the Wii u can keep me ticking over nicely until the ps4 comes out. 3ds also getting lots of play. If it wasn't for the last of us, neither 360 or ps3 would have been switched on this year.

Have the following to work through or finish, not even counting my pc games.

Lego city undercover
    Mario Wii U
    Zombi U
    Super Metroid
    Metroid Prime Trilogy
    Super Mario Galaxy 2
    Luigis Mansion 2
    Mario 3d land
    Donkey kong country returns
    Animal crossing
    Pikmin 2

Totally sorted for months even with the drip feed of new releases. Off tv play just awesome for me, as is the portability of the 3ds.
  • JiveHound 5 Jul 2013 09:13:49 2,533 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Having bought my PS3 as a bluray player I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit recently as a bona fide games machine. I'm even getting used to the pad. Playing through Last of Us and the awesome Hotline Miami at the moment on that.

In regards to WiiU I'm still plodding along with Monster Hunter now and again although my missus is away filming and she's my wingman. I'm pretty much just playing Super Metroid on the Wii U at the moment although I've just bought Metroid Trilogy. The plan was to play that while I wait for Pikmin but Last of Us has got its hooks in me. Bought it for 45 quid off an Amazon approved seller factory sealed so reasonable prices are attainable. I did see someone selling for a 1000!?

Animal Crossing has been taking a lot of my time. It's strangely compelling even though I don't seem to be doing much in it.

Anyway, rambling post ahoy.

Waiting for Pikmin 3 then.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Pinky_Floyd 5 Jul 2013 09:39:48 8,026 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Metroid Prime Trilogy is pricey. I have a sealed copy and an open copy for play.
  • mikew1985 5 Jul 2013 09:44:36 12,876 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    simsini wrote:
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    the games on the system and coming up are re-skins of good games we've played before.
    Are you talking about the Wii U, or is this a future review of the Xbox One and PS4?
    You keep trying to hammer this point home for some reason believing the Wii U to be superior to the other two machines in this regard.

There are already things being implemented and used in some of the next gen games that simply aren't possible on the current gen. They may not interest you but they interest others.

Nintendo are more guilty than anyone for the "same stuff, new platform" argument.
  • simsini 5 Jul 2013 09:53:20 317 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mikew1985 I believe in that regard that all games companies are the same and Nintendo are no more guilty of this than anyone else. They all pedal the same stuff on their consoles, it just depends what one person may like over another and how often such a games company will release a new version.

For example, Nintendo will have released 8 Mario Karts in over 20 years when the Wii U version is released and only ever one version per system. Nintendo also never update games annually, which is the case for a lot of other series, they just release games when they are ready without time restraints.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Jul 2013 14:23:26 11,331 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Super Mario 3D World Preview from EG

Summary

I've never particularly been a fan of multiplayer Mario games, but this is by far Nintendo's best effort yet. I was looking for a huge, deep Mario platformer to be announced at E3 - and while some will say that 3D Land doesn't quite match the scale of previous games, Nintendo has yet again crafted something different, a 3D Land-style hybrid that it obviously hopes will appeal to all types of Mario game fan. After E3 it was easy to write off 3D World as just another great Mario platformer, something less than the series' standouts. But after actually playing it, it's clear this will be another experience to remember.

Edited by Armoured_Bear at 14:23:38 05-07-2013

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Page

of 1369 First / Last