Wii U Page 764

• Page

of 1364 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 1 Jul 2013 17:29:08 44,415 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Is that so unpalatable a viewpoint that for hundreds of pages people have told me I'm wrong?
    I don't think so, no. But are you saying that you think they believed it would fail before they'd even released it so didn't bother making many games? That's interesting and not something I'd though of.
    Kind of. I still think they saw in the run up to release that they were likely to be overwhelmed by PS4 and Xbox One sales in 12 months and so let the WiiU live or die on its own merits, without advertising support, minimal games development past that already done, that sort of thing.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Raiko101 1 Jul 2013 17:30:48 6,341 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    But they did the exact same thing with the 3DS and every one said the exact same thing.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• LeoliansBro 1 Jul 2013 17:31:35 44,415 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    3DS is in a different market, and if they didn't plough resource into that it would have failed. So what do you think will happen if they don't plough resource into the WiiU?

• Bremenacht 1 Jul 2013 17:43:06 18,447 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    simsini wrote:
    @Bremenacht Not sure what you are getting at as I was stating my opinion just like everyone else here.

On this link:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/wii-u-sales-total-3-45-mil-31-pct-fewer-consoles-than-nintendo-expected-to-sell/

Nintendo report 3.45 million console sales and 13.4 software sales, which is about 3.88 games per console.
    I'm getting at your statement that PS4 and Onesie sales will be worse than Wii U. Now that I know it's based on wishful thinking rather than any evidence, that's cleared up.
  • MatMan562 1 Jul 2013 17:47:04 2,473 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hmm, not sure I agree but it's an interesting thought. [@LeoliansBro]

I do think that we'll see the follow up to the Wii U relatively soon, in about 3 years. They'll probably drop the gamepad and maybe the wiimotes for it as well.

Edited by MatMan562 at 17:48:09 01-07-2013

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Bremenacht 1 Jul 2013 17:49:40 18,447 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    MatMan562 wrote:
    But are you saying that you think they believed it would fail before they'd even released it so didn't bother making many games? That's interesting and not something I'd though of.
    Kind of. I still think they saw in the run up to release that they were likely to be overwhelmed by PS4 and Xbox One sales in 12 months and so let the WiiU live or die on its own merits, without advertising support, minimal games development past that already done, that sort of thing.
    That's one thing I don't agree with. They appear to have launched an unfitted ship, but it'd have made better financial sense to scrap it before launch if you were right. As for why they've behaved as they have sense launch, I can only offer 'Nintendo?' and maybe 'Golf?'.
  • LeoliansBro 1 Jul 2013 17:49:54 44,415 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, and as someone (kal?) said I bet it's a handheld with console functionality for when you're at home.

Hmmmm. Here's a thought - is the WiiU a market testbed or proof of concept?

• Bremenacht 1 Jul 2013 17:52:58 18,447 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:

I do think that we'll see the follow up to the Wii U relatively soon, in about 3 years. They'll probably drop the gamepad and maybe the wiimotes for it as well.
    That would assume they think they've made a mistake, no? If not, I'd guess you'd have to wait the usual 5 years or so for the next one. 2017?
  • LeoliansBro 1 Jul 2013 17:53:45 44,415 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:

That's one thing I don't agree with. They appear to have launched an unfitted ship, but it'd have made better financial sense to scrap it before launch if you were right. As for why they've behaved as they have sense launch, I can only offer 'Nintendo?' and maybe 'Golf?'.
    Maybe, but if they did that there would have been reputational fallout, they would definitely have lost 100% of the development costs, directly pissed off every 3rd party developer (including EA at that time) and hey, maybe the WiiU will be a success guys, let's put it out there.

• MatMan562 1 Jul 2013 18:05:55 2,473 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    MatMan562 wrote:

That would assume they think they've made a mistake, no? If not, I'd guess you'd have to wait the usual 5 years or so for the next one. 2017?
    Well, I think that when or if the next consoles come out and the Wii U is the worst selling of the 3, with the comparitively poor specs of the U as well, 3rd party games will be almost non-existant for it (I know that's kind of the case now but I'd imagine it would get worse). I think the Wii was ok because it sold so well so it was worth making Wii versions of their games but why would they bother doing that for the Wii U if it sells poorly and would take a lot of money and effort to create a Wii U version? I think then Nintendo will realise they made a mistake.

Maybe it wont be as soon as 3 years but it will almost certainly be a good few years before the next Sony and MS consoles.

• Bremenacht 1 Jul 2013 18:20:59 18,447 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh I agree with that last bit. I'm pretty sure Onesie and PS4 will be 10 year machines, again.

It would make some sense to switch early, but what could they offer as an alternative? A 'me too' PS4/XO competitor? A more powerful/better specced Wii U? Abandoning hardware?

The former seems pointless to me. It'd offer nothing to existing PS4/XO/WU owners. A more powerful WU would just repeat what they've already done at great cost. The latter is unthinkable. Could they even consider it?

The answer, to me, is simply to invest much, much more in the games and quickly. It'll cost the least and it'd salvage any lost reputation. It's unbelievable that they have chosen not to do so, so far.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Jul 2013 18:25:31 11,295 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @LB, are you really this mental that a failing console that you don't want consumes you so that you post hundreds and hundreds of times, saying the same thing over and over and over.
    WTF is wrong with you?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• CharlieStCloud 1 Jul 2013 18:35:01 5,217 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    @LB, are you really this mental that a failing console that you don't want consumes you so that you post hundreds and hundreds of times, saying the same thing over and over and over.
    WTF is wrong with you?
    Outside of this thread, I think he is a top chap. Quite helpful in the Dark Souls thread too.

In here though? A person of whom doesn't own a Wii U and most likely never will?

... well, that's up to him how he wishes to waste his time.
  • ResidentKnievel 1 Jul 2013 18:39:42 6,215 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    WTF is wrong with you?
    the ironies

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Deleted user 1 July 2013 18:39:44
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    WTF is wrong with you?
    He should go back to the other consoles and play terrible games like Call of Duty, I agree.
  • Bremenacht 1 Jul 2013 18:48:30 18,447 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Phew. ecosse drags the thread from the edge of reason, back into the familiar slurrypit. Good job, sir!
  • MatMan562 1 Jul 2013 19:49:53 2,473 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    It would make some sense to switch early, but what could they offer as an alternative? A 'me too' PS4/XO competitor? A more powerful/better specced Wii U? Abandoning hardware?
    I'm not clever enough to know what they should do but I think that they would do a "me too" competitor but maybe with a few technical advancements. If they can think of something they think is good enough, I'm sure they'll try something else along the lines of the wiimote and gamepad as well. Maybe they'll even be the first console to actively support the oculous rift or something along those lines. Whatever they end up doing, it will be interesting to see what they think they need to do.

Now I really want an Oculus supported Metroid game!

• Bremenacht 1 Jul 2013 20:02:27 18,447 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    Now I really want an Oculus supported Metroid game!
    Ho! That'd be very cool. Looking around for Metroids..
  • Deleted user 1 July 2013 20:04:34
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    WTF is wrong with you?
    You complain when the thread isn't full of fair and reasonable posts and then you post something like this.

You really are a cancer on this thread.
  • Youthist 1 Jul 2013 20:30:03 10,021 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't see his posts on this thread as a "cancer". This thread is a car wreck most of the time to be honest, but cannot be aimed at one individual. Having said that, if you took the thread away, then the forum would really be dull right now*

*But I would still check it all the time, just to confirm to myself it was still dull

Edited by Youthist at 20:30:48 01-07-2013

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Deleted user 1 July 2013 20:36:37
    It has to be said, I see LB posting in this thread more than anyone.
  • Steifybobbins 2 Jul 2013 17:45:04 353 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like the Wii U i can play it while the mrs hogs tge Tv. Am i ill? Ha!
  • Pinky_Floyd 2 Jul 2013 22:49:39 7,908 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Enjoying the backwards compatibility.  Never played Pikmin 2 but am giving it a go now in preparation for Pikmin 3.  Also never played Super Mario Galaxy 2 and it's going down a treat.

Have an official wireless sensor bar that runs on batteries so it's dead easy to set up and put away when done.  Rechargeable batteries of course.

Pikmin are very cute :)
  • JiveHound 2 Jul 2013 23:32:32 2,472 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm going into Pikmin 3 having never played one before.

I thought about picking up the original while I was in Game the other day but thought I would just wait.

That and I've already got a lot to be getting on with. On other platforms mind.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• RyanDS 3 Jul 2013 07:10:20 9,430 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Steifybobbins wrote:
    Sorry, I don't understand. Would you mind retyping that, this time in English?
  • Pinky_Floyd 3 Jul 2013 07:33:57 7,908 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Steifybobbins wrote:
    Sorry, I don't understand. Would you mind retyping that, this time in English?
    It's a better written post than most of the shite in here let's be honest ;)
  • DFawkes 3 Jul 2013 09:54:02 23,036 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the intent of the post is good. It is great to have that screen there for when the TV is in use by the Mrs/parents/pan-dimensional energy beings/kids/housemates/friend. It's not useful for everyone though.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Raiko101 3 Jul 2013 10:47:59 6,341 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    3DS is in a different market, and if they didn't plough resource into that it would have failed. So what do you think will happen if they don't plough resource into the WiiU?
    My point is that's exactly what's happening with the Wii U too. Plenty of games have been announced. Mostly safer titles that you'd expect to shift consoles and sell high numbers. If Nintendo had come out with Metroid and F-Zero instead, we'd all be happy, but would question whether or not, like Pikmin, that they'd be enough to shift a console come christmas.

I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo are throwing a lot behind the Wii U at the minute. In a reverse trend, they've announced greater first party support for the Wii U than the 3DS.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• LeoliansBro 3 Jul 2013 10:49:55 44,415 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are we really going back to this?

There's one gme announced that will sell consoles and that's out in April 2014.

• Deleted user 3 July 2013 10:51:59
    please don't go back this :) we had 764 pages of it already!

(although i do expect 3dland to shift a fair few units at christmas)
  • Page

of 1364 First / Last