Wii U Page 757

• Page

of 1363 First / Last

• Deleted user 29 June 2013 11:16:33
    Seems that Nintendo are using the Tour de france to advertise the wii u on ITV4, As in programme brought to you by Wii U. Using a teamwork tag.
  • Sid-Nice 29 Jun 2013 11:41:18 15,851 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Wii U uses so little power that you could play the console powered by a bicycle dynamo.

NNID Sid-Nice

• beastmaster 29 Jun 2013 11:56:50 11,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mazty wrote:
    @oneforthetaking considering this forum is next door to digital foundry, its amazing how people can still derp out over specs....Are there really any 40 yr olds on this forum? That's bizarre...
    I'm 43 and will carry on gaming till I need bionic thumbs. Then I'll game some more. But never on the Wii because it's shit. Wii U is much better but still kind of shit until it gets more games.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Bremenacht 30 Jun 2013 23:44:57 18,330 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    H I D D E N B O M B S.

Or, you know, not.

There's some good news for Wii U owners in that report though:

Iwata said that what has been shown through Nintendo Direct sessions and on the floor at E3 was enough to “ease owners’ fears.”
    There you go! You've had your fears eased, so shut yer gobs and stop complaining.

Edited by Bremenacht at 23:45:28 30-06-2013
  • Sid-Nice 1 Jul 2013 00:01:39 15,851 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I believe in the Cheesemeister.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Armoured_Bear 1 Jul 2013 07:12:26 11,283 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Splinter Cell Preview

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 1 Jul 2013 07:14:03 11,283 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    H I D D E N B O M B S.

Or, you know, not.

Iwata said that what has been shown through Nintendo Direct sessions and on the floor at E3 was enough to “ease owners’ fears.”
    There you go! You've had your fears eased, so shut yer gobs and stop complaining.

According to Iwata, translated by Cheesemeister, there’s more information on development “than could be released at E3.”

The firm has a plan in place so that there isn’t as much of a gap between the announcement and the game’s release so as not to “lessen the impact or allow competitors to copy.”

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• LeoliansBro 1 Jul 2013 07:48:32 44,290 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes but he's said this before. If there's more in development it's either a) serious, in which case he can give us titles, hoped-for release windows, maybe even a screenshot, or b) aspirational, in which case he's saying they 'plan' to do more. So, whoop di doo.

And the problem isn't competitors copying Nintendo. It's competitors being substantially better, more popular and with a wider choice than Nintendo.

Honestly it's like the captain of the Titanic trying to calm everyone down with 'Don't worry, we always planned for this, we have many lifeboats we chose not to announce when we hit the iceberg and our real priorities now are making sure nobody gets hold of the blueprints for the ship.'

Edited by LeoliansBro at 07:51:02 01-07-2013

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• mikew1985 1 Jul 2013 08:21:27 12,756 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    H I D D E N B O M B S.

Or, you know, not.

According to Iwata, translated by Cheesemeister, there’s more information on development “than could be released at E3.”

The firm has a plan in place so that there isn’t as much of a gap between the announcement and the game’s release so as not to “lessen the impact or allow competitors to copy.”
    They've been saying this EXACT same shit for years.

They said it during the N64 and GC era and they're peddling this bollocks again now.

Also it doesn't count if you are releasing more games if they're the standard of the likes of New Super Mario Bros U or if it's uninspired looking stuff like Mario 3D world (yea I've not played it, but it certainly hasn't given me any reason to think that I should).
  • Youthist 1 Jul 2013 08:44:54 10,018 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It appears to me that there are plenty of decent looking games being developed for the Wii U by Nintendo. To claim otherwise is baffling to be honest.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• LeoliansBro 1 Jul 2013 08:49:17 44,290 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's more that there are no other games being developed, and that Nintendo have had almost a year with the WiiU out and have yet to release anything other than the launch titles, a Lego Game and 6/10 filler.

Edit: I have been corrected, see above.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 09:10:36 01-07-2013

• mikew1985 1 Jul 2013 08:52:55 12,756 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's also worrying that the stuff in development doesn't look half as interesting as the stuff they had lined up for the 3DS when it was looking dodgy in the first year.

They also managed to get the Zelda remake out for that in the first couple of months and a proper, really excellent, Mario title within the first 9 months.

WiiU stuff just doesn't look interesting at all.
  • Youthist 1 Jul 2013 08:56:17 10,018 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well there is no doubt about the fact they have had huge delays. They surely expected 101 and Pikmin to already be out and to be finishing up at least two others by now, but they fucked it up royally in that regard.

But looking at the number of releases in the 2013 and 2014 pipe, if the release dates are to be believed, there are games coming.

I still cannot believe they just went for a DK Country followup / re-skin by Retro and not a full 3D Metroid.

Also wtf is the strategy with the Gamepads vs. the Wiimotes? How about a Wii Sports 3? They are focussing too much on that pad and not enough on just getting some HD IP out there that doesn't need that screen. Surely a Wii Sports 3 would get some attention.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• LeoliansBro 1 Jul 2013 08:58:58 44,290 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    if the release dates are to be believed, there are games coming.
    Here's where you're coming unstuck, I feel.

• simsini 1 Jul 2013 08:59:38 316 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Are you even trying anymore?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-14-lego-city-undercover-review
  • LeoliansBro 1 Jul 2013 09:03:30 44,290 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Must have missed the point where Lego City Undercover was made by Nintendo.

• beastmaster 1 Jul 2013 09:05:55 11,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Also wtf is the strategy with the Gamepads vs. the Wiimotes? How about a Wii Sports 3? They are focussing too much on that pad and not enough on just getting some HD IP out there that doesn't need that screen.
    Honestly, my heart sank when I heard it was Wiimote compatible. Any game that I eventually buy on this platform will have to be pad only. Personally, I would have preferred a clean break myself.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• mikew1985 1 Jul 2013 09:06:56 12,756 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also it's a single game. That scored relatively well.
  • simsini 1 Jul 2013 09:08:21 316 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Hmmm...

"Nintendo have had almost a year with the WiiU out and have yet to release anything other than the launch titles and 6/10 filler"

Lego City Undercover a title released by Nintendo.
  • LeoliansBro 1 Jul 2013 09:09:18 44,290 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I apologise, I thought it was a 3rd party game.

• mikew1985 1 Jul 2013 09:09:44 12,756 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Also wtf is the strategy with the Gamepads vs. the Wiimotes? How about a Wii Sports 3? They are focussing too much on that pad and not enough on just getting some HD IP out there that doesn't need that screen. Surely a Wii Sports 3 would get some attention.
    Just wanted to discuss this part of your post specifically the bolded part.

I have a question; do you really think they are doing this?

I haven't seen a single compelling case being made by any Nintendo developed game for the Wii U gamepad and certainly not to the extent that they're focusing on it at the expense of releasing HD IP.

In fact aren't Pikmin 3, DK and Super Mario 3D world all just HD releases with no interesting second screen stuff shown to date.
  • simsini 1 Jul 2013 09:11:03 316 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Youthist Indeed. I'm not sure what some on here are constantly trying to prove.
  • LeoliansBro 1 Jul 2013 09:13:38 44,290 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think anyone's trying to 'prove' anything. We all have differing opinions and we all argue our own viewpoint.

• mikew1985 1 Jul 2013 09:13:47 12,756 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That the first party support for the WiiU has been and continues to be extremely poor - it's hardly opinion just discussion of a fact.

One could do with being less sensitive about "others" discussing the relative (lack of) merits of the WiiU hardware in a Wii U general discussion thread.

Edited by mikew1985 at 09:14:14 01-07-2013
  • Youthist 1 Jul 2013 09:17:45 10,018 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Youthist wrote:
    Just wanted to discuss this part of your post specifically the bolded part.

I have a question; do you really think they are doing this?

I haven't seen a single compelling case being made by any Nintendo developed game for the Wii U gamepad and certainly not to the extent that they're focusing on it at the expense of releasing HD IP.

In fact aren't Pikmin 3, DK and Super Mario 3D world all just HD releases with no interesting second screen stuff shown to date.
    I guess. I just feel that they would get some "casual gamer attention" if they went with a Wii Sports 3 or something. The screen isn't interesting folk, even if it is a decent (but too expensive to manufacture) peripheral.

I would say only compelling (ish) use of Gamepad thus far has been Nintendo Land and Zombie U.

I guess the point above made is true. Once they decided to support Wii Motes and not go with a clean break, it just started to get muddy.

Edited by Youthist at 09:18:04 01-07-2013

• LeoliansBro 1 Jul 2013 09:19:07 44,290 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The best use I've seen of the screen yet (outside of Nintendoland asymmetric multiplayer, which was the concept I hoped would get taken far and so far has been taken nowhere) is in Arkham City.

• simsini 1 Jul 2013 09:36:44 316 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mikew1985 I think it is more a case of the third party support being poor. Look at the releases on Xbox 360 in the past few years. Microsoft haven't released many games at all, they get by on third parties. If some other third parties released games that were tailored for the Wii U and not just dodgy ports, they may have had more success. (I'm looking at you especially EA)
  • DFawkes 1 Jul 2013 09:40:22 22,987 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    The best use I've seen of the screen yet (outside of Nintendoland asymmetric multiplayer, which was the concept I hoped would get taken far and so far has been taken nowhere) is in Arkham City.
    I agree. I know it's nothing revolutionary, and I certainly wouldn't buy the console for it, but the Gamepad stuff is really good. Especially the map, which I admit is unimaginative but it was a godsend when doing all the riddle hunting at the end. I did collect a few in Off TV Play whilst in bed and really ended up missing the map.

It also gets used for a good few gadgets, like the Bathacker thing, as well as optional motion aiming and remote mine detonation. The radio chatter can be cool as well, and the Joker phones you on the Gamepad a few times. As I say, nothing revolutionary, but it did enhance the experience for me.

Still an awesome game on every format though :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Page

of 1363 First / Last