Wii U Page 749

• Page

of 1409 First / Last

• Deleted user 26 June 2013 17:37:07
    Would them going third party work though. I mean that the quality and qauntity of sega games fell substantially. Wouldn't they shrink and publish less games? so literally all we would get is mario and zelda (que jokes).
  • Deleted user 26 June 2013 17:38:24
    The quality and quantity didn't fall for Sega, they had a handful of decent games they made, now they have lots.
  • Cappy 26 Jun 2013 18:20:01 12,117 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think Sega can be held up as an example of going third party automatically equalling failure. For Sega, going third party was a just a means of continuing the nutty decision making that was running them into the wall.

The first thing they do? Decide to split most of their games off as exclusives across three platforms. To further compound this, they cut a deal with Microsoft to make all the highest profile, high budget projects exclusive to the Xbox, the console where they'll sell the least, and that's exactly what happens, titles like Outrun 2 sell in shockingly low numbers.

The Gamecube gets a few games, then the PS2, the platform they should really be looking to earn their bread and butter on? Super low budget, B-Team efforts that nobody bought due to an extremely low level of quality, such as Altered Beast.

That's not how you do multi-format publishing, it's a splendid way to haemorrhage even more cash though.

Edited by Cappy at 18:20:17 26-06-2013
  • macmurphy 26 Jun 2013 19:33:21 999 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think Nintendo will drop out completely. The 3DS is doing great numbers, deservedly on the back of the great software available. The Wii does seem to be a blip in terms of sales and the market it found, and despite the audience it generated I think it ironically pushed the big publishers like EA even further away; they never made any money with Wii titles.

At the same time I don't think anyone can accurately predict how the games industry will go. All the casual gamers (a broadbrush term I apply to people playing Candy Crush and the like) are never going to be impressed by shiny graphics and processing power. If Nintendo can somehow get them playing on the tablet and get people back playing Wii Fit U they could still make the Wii U into a profitable console and regroup for the next gen, heading more in this direction.

All I'm saying is the field is wide open, and whilst Nintendo might not make the consoles that a lot of people on here are after, they could still do good business with a family fun box, Wii style. Just the fact that the 3DS is so successful gives me hope.
  • Deleted user 26 June 2013 19:41:26
    I think most the stuff Sega make is pretty good, they just seem to blunder with the marketing a lot.

SEGA! :)

Edited by SG59 at 19:41:55 26-06-2013
  • JiveHound 26 Jun 2013 20:29:40 2,724 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    All I can say is Pikmin 3 had better be fucking stunning after all this wait. Looking at the games I've amassed so far on the Wii U I could have saved a lot of money and just got a Wii and I would have had a pretty similar experience.

Mario Wii U is a better game than the Wii iteration but not more-than-double the price of the buy in.

I still really like the hardware but I do feel like I've been duped. All the games they showed off before launch were nowhere near finished.

If Pikmin really is as good and unique as it looks (having never played one before) then I'll be relatively appeased.

And while their recently announced games are very conservative, they are different enough from the Xbox1/PS4 titles that I'll keep the WiiU alongside one of them.

Edited by JiveHound at 20:31:16 26-06-2013

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• macmurphy 26 Jun 2013 21:04:52 999 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @JiveHound

Pikmin was amazing, as was number 2 - especially the multiplayer. No idea what 3 will be like but you should be in for a treat. Sad to say it is the first game that will really make me want a Wii U (assuming they don't somehow bugger it up).

But I think Pikmin fans are in the minority as regards followers of the big Nintendo franchises, and I think the sales boost will be minor.

I was going to say it was 'niche' but I got a bit scared.
  • beastmaster 26 Jun 2013 21:20:07 11,985 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SG59 wrote:
    I think most the stuff Sega make is pretty good, they just seem to blunder with the marketing a lot.

SEGA! :)
    "Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better of even their blunders" - Friedrich Niche

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• JiveHound 26 Jun 2013 21:24:12 2,724 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    @JiveHound

Pikmin was amazing, as was number 2 - especially the multiplayer. No idea what 3 will be like but you should be in for a treat. Sad to say it is the first game that will really make me want a Wii U (assuming they don't somehow bugger it up).

But I think Pikmin fans are in the minority as regards followers of the big Nintendo franchises, and I think the sales boost will be minor.

I was going to say it was 'niche' but I got a bit scared.
    I'm glad they chose to go with Pikmin as the first of their big hitters as I'm ready for something a bit different. Hence buying a Wii U in the first place. I want to see more asymmetrical gameplay though as that should have some potential going by Zombi U's multiplayer.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Deleted user 26 June 2013 22:07:57
    Yeah i'm really happy pikmin is getting a new game. Its been so long since i last played one. Like Macmurphy, when its released, the game will seriously pull at my impulse buy a wii u strings.
  • Deleted user 26 June 2013 22:20:48
    I was disappointed with the announcement from Retro. Was hoping for a true Starfox game or something new :(

Edited by SG59 at 22:21:29 26-06-2013
  • Youthist 26 Jun 2013 22:26:28 10,083 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I miss "Him" where is he?

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• Syrette 26 Jun 2013 22:28:06 44,212 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    God?

• macmurphy 26 Jun 2013 22:37:44 999 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Higgins?
  • Youthist 26 Jun 2013 22:57:09 10,083 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "He"

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• Progguitarist 26 Jun 2013 23:39:49 10,533 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Higgins? He was just a Bozo(n) wasn't he?

/coat
  • Youthist 27 Jun 2013 00:57:29 10,083 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, Higgins is dead, long live anti-Higgins, the legend that is Spazty.

• zoolophage 27 Jun 2013 09:16:28 2,255 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone know why the price of Wii U games seem to swing sharply in price on Amazon over the course of a few days. Yesterday Batman was 12 odd and today it's 15. Is it due to second hand market price fluctuation?

Win great prizes for pc, xbox, nintendo and psn in the 2015 EG Charity Raffle: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/289501

• roz123 27 Jun 2013 09:16:41 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Japanese Luigi U advert
    http://youtu.be/QFpNTcYmid8

• malloc 27 Jun 2013 09:18:39 2,389 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sega had failed financially whereas whilst Nintendo are doing terribly with the Wii U there are strong financially.

I imagine the more likely extreme thing for Nintendo will be to say goodbye to Iwata. The Wii U will continue until it is either revived or just skims along the surface but it won't be abandoned.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 27 Jun 2013 09:20:55 39,761 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    Japanese Luigi U advert
    http://youtu.be/QFpNTcYmid8

Turns out Luigi is a rapist. Who knew?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• nickthegun 27 Jun 2013 09:29:23 61,305 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The next gif shows him throwing her onto a pinball machine.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• LeoliansBro 27 Jun 2013 09:51:43 44,956 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    malloc wrote:
    Sega had failed financially whereas whilst Nintendo are doing terribly with the Wii U there are strong financially.
    Yep.

I imagine the more likely extreme thing for Nintendo will be to say goodbye to Iwata.
    Yep.

The Wii U will continue until it is either revived or just skims along the surface but it won't be abandoned.
    The WiiU is already on a starvation diet in terms of Nintendo support.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• macmurphy 27 Jun 2013 10:09:52 999 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    malloc wrote:
    Yep.

I imagine the more likely extreme thing for Nintendo will be to say goodbye to Iwata.
    Yep.

The Wii U will continue until it is either revived or just skims along the surface but it won't be abandoned.
    You keep saying this, that it's been abandoned. Off the top of my head first party titles in development are Mariokart, Windwaker remake, Next Zelda, Smash Bros, Super Mario 3D Land, Pikmin 3,Wii Fit U, Wii Party U. I should probably also count Tropical Breeze as a second party game. You have no evidence that Nintendo is neglecting the Wii U compared to any other console in the past.

The slim release list can be put down to mismanagement in releasing the Wii U too early and not concentrating enough on it in favour of the 3DS. But to come on here and say Nintendo have already abandoned it is rubbish.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Jun 2013 10:11:51 11,891 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    malloc wrote:
    Yep.

Yep.

Still on this? lol

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• LeoliansBro 27 Jun 2013 10:16:25 44,956 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:

You keep saying this, that it's been abandoned. Off the top of my head first party titles in development are Mariokart,
    Widely recognised as the game that would rescue the WiiU, but now announced that it will be out 6 months too late.

Windwaker remake,
    Be still my heart.

Next Zelda,
    Must have missed this.

Smash Bros,
    Do we have a release date for this?

Super Mario 3D Land,
    3DS game converted to the WiiU. Who does a port of a handheld game? Especially for your flagship product.

Pikmin 3,
    Finally, a game that is a) looking good and b) coming out any time soon.

Wii Fit U,
    Super, more peripherals, and is this really a game?

Wii Party U.
    lol.

You also missed Game and Wario (6/10), Luigi U (6/10) and this Donkey Kong platformer, which we're all so happy Rare are working on. At least developing a reskin of a Wii 2d platformer is cheaper than a new Metroid or F-Zero or a game anyone actually wants. Spotting a theme yet?

Edited by LeoliansBro at 10:16:52 27-06-2013

• Armoured_Bear 27 Jun 2013 10:18:57 11,891 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    SM3DW isn't a port, that's bollocks.
    IF A GAME DOESN'T HAVE A RELEASE DATE IT DOESN'T EXIST!

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• macmurphy 27 Jun 2013 10:20:04 999 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's fine, you might not like the games. But you're still talking rubbish by saying Nintendo are not supporting the Wii U. You come on here all the time like some harbinger of doom for Ninty,if you don't like the software fine, but don't start making stuff up.
  • LeoliansBro 27 Jun 2013 10:20:59 44,956 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shall I get excited about Halo 5 then? It has several advantages over this proposed new Zelda game:

- We've seen footage of it.

- The last three Halo games have been good.

- It is likely to be a step forward for the franchise, technically at least.

- MS aren't stalling for time by releasing ODST HD.

• LeoliansBro 27 Jun 2013 10:22:13 44,956 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    That's fine, you might not like the games. But you're still talking rubbish by saying Nintendo are not supporting the Wii U. You come on here all the time like some harbinger of doom for Ninty,if you don't like the software fine, but don't start making stuff up.
    I'm not making stuff up. I've given you a very long list on several occasions where I outline evidence of my assessment of Nintendo's business strategy. I've seen nothing back except 'I don't believe you'.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 10:22:24 27-06-2013

• Page

of 1409 First / Last