Wii U Page 729

• Page

of 1214 First / Last

• Kay 24 Jun 2013 16:43:37 17,407 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "I think" GTA IV is the best game this gen.

"I think" Dark Souls is the best game this gen.

"I think" LeoliansBro posts way too much in this thread.

All objective statements, of course.
  • Bremenacht 24 Jun 2013 16:45:03 15,819 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MARIO!

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Bremenacht 24 Jun 2013 16:47:02 15,819 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    I have the sneaky suspicion that outside of the proper Nintendo fans Mario games are 'the games you buy if you buy a Nintendo console' rather than 'the reason why you buy a Nintendo console'.

It may sound like the same thing, but it's a subtle difference. Mario sells, but he doesn't sell hardware. Nobody bought a Wii for Mario Galaxy, they bought a Wii for Wii Sports.
    What would be considered as the 3DS' killer app?
    is there an equivalent to Wii Sports?
    I dunno. For the DS it was easy - your Brain Trainings and your Nintendogs got those flying off the shelves. The 3DS had a much slower start and I have to admit to a certain level of (ahem) disinterest on my part, mainly because neither of my kids have asked for one (see "Nintendo's for babies" on the previous page, the same appears to hold true for handhelds now).

Pokemans? Do kids still do that?
    There isn't a singular killer app. 3DS appears to have been boosted by a bunch of well-regarded games hitting all at the same time. Luigi's Mansion tipped me over to being a buyer.

• LeoliansBro 24 Jun 2013 16:47:58 41,910 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kay wrote:

Here are some more:

'I think the WiiU is a sales failure.'

'I think Nintendo knew this and withdrew support etc before the console was ever launched.'

'I think they are letting this quietly die at Christmas and then reassessing their position on what to do in the console market.'

'I think ecosse has screamed and flung ALL THE TOYS in the past on those opinions of mine.'

'I think I am allowed to question someone who says 'he thinks' SMG 2 is the best game this gen, by suggesting that maybe he means the best game on the Wii...'

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• kinky_mong 24 Jun 2013 16:48:18 9,609 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I think part of their problem is that they've failed to realise their audience is ageing. Pokemon was massive for creating a whole new generation of Nintendo fans, but like Mario, I don't think its popularity necessarily carried over ino the next generation of kid.
    Pokemon is still popular with under 10's if my half-brothers are a good representation. That and Skylanders at the moment.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• CharlieStCloud 24 Jun 2013 16:49:59 4,700 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I did. I didn't complete it, seemed very similar to Sunshine TBH.

To help, Dark Souls and The Last of Us are games I've seen which I think are better than Mario Galaxy 1+2.
    To be fair, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are not quite the same as Sunshine, seeing as the FLUDD mechanic is all but gone ... and the levels are tightly designed planetoids compared to the almost free roaming 'playground' Sunshine provided.

You say Dark Souls and The Last of Us are better games from what you have seen?

Well, I think I have had my say.

Toddle pip!
  • Armoured_Bear 24 Jun 2013 16:51:24 8,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    A Wii game can't be the best game this gen, it's not a proper console.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Kay 24 Jun 2013 16:51:50 17,407 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Kay wrote:

Here are some more:

'I think Nintendo knew this and withdrew support etc before the console was ever launched.'

'I think they are letting this quietly die at Christmas and then reassessing their position on what to do in the console market.'

'I think ecosse has screamed and flung ALL THE TOYS in the past on those opinions of mine.'

'I think I am allowed to question someone who says 'he thinks' SMG 2 is the best game this gen, by suggesting that maybe he means the best game on the Wii...'
    Just as people are allowed to question your posts in this thread.
  • LeoliansBro 24 Jun 2013 16:51:51 41,910 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Strawman.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 16:52:37 24-06-2013

• LeoliansBro 24 Jun 2013 16:52:16 41,910 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And I am allowed to defend them.

• Kay 24 Jun 2013 16:53:51 17,407 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The two SMG games (and Skyward Sword to a lesser extent) were its saving graces for me. They're pretty much the only reason I haven't already packed up the console.
  • Kay 24 Jun 2013 16:54:37 17,407 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    And people are allowed to defend the statement "SMG1/2 are the best games this gen".

Going around in circles here!
  • LeoliansBro 24 Jun 2013 16:55:36 41,910 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    And people are allowed to defend the statement "SMG1/2 are the best games this gen".

Going around in circles here!
    Course they are!

Oh, you missed out the 'I think' in your quote.

• jellyBelly 24 Jun 2013 17:00:17 323 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As a bit of an exercise I'm monitoring the U's price on amazon on a daily basis. Will prob report something before i go away on holiday mid July.

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• mrpon 24 Jun 2013 17:03:30 27,675 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jellyBelly wrote:
    As a bit of an exercise I'm monitoring the U's price on amazon on a daily basis. Will prob report something before i go away on holiday mid July.
    http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Nintendo-Wii-8GB-Basic-Pack/product/B004Y59P3A

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• neilka 24 Jun 2013 17:06:07 14,975 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    EXERCISE RUINED
  • nickthegun 24 Jun 2013 17:07:31 56,075 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Three years at university down the toilet. I hope youre happy!

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• jellyBelly 24 Jun 2013 17:27:10 323 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GUTTED!!!

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• Cappy 24 Jun 2013 17:31:30 11,707 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I picked up a Wii for Pikmin 3, it had already been in development for years at that point. What could go wrong?

To Hell with you Nintendo. :-(
  • RyanDS 24 Jun 2013 18:14:53 8,713 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Thank God you have finally come to your senses! Took you long enough.

Edit, all jokes aside, no game that uses the wii mote can be the game of the generation as it fucking ruined everything. Mario Galaxy for me was a decent enough game that was fucked up by waggle to spin. It says a lot that the most highly regarded games tended to come packaged with a functional controller.

Edited by RyanDS at 18:16:42 24-06-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 24 Jun 2013 18:19:03 8,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Thank God you have finally come to your senses! Took you long enough.

Edit, all jokes aside, no game that uses the wii mote can be the game of the generation as it fucking ruined everything. Mario Galaxy for me was a decent enough game that was fucked up by waggle to spin. It says a lot that the most highly regarded games tended to come packaged with a functional controller.
    Horseshit

• Bremenacht 24 Jun 2013 18:27:58 15,819 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My favourite game is self-evidently better than your favourite game.

• MrSemprini 24 Jun 2013 19:37:55 9,330 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    I picked up a Wii for Pikmin 3, it had already been in development for years at that point. What could go wrong?

To Hell with you Nintendo. :-(
    A reasonable person might suggest waiting until a game is actually announced or even released. However, I'm probably still bitter over the whole Mire Mare debacle. No more Ultimate, Rare or Microsoft products for me, those wounds run pretty deep.
  • Deleted user 24 June 2013 19:43:51
    Star Wars pinball will be released on Wii U on 11th July. It's well worth picking up if you don't have it on some other format.
  • macmurphy 24 Jun 2013 23:54:55 879 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Kay wrote:

Here are some more:

You really think Nintendo knew their console was going to be a failure before it launched, and stopped supporting it before it launched? They just launched it for shits and giggles?

I'm confused, was this a joke, did someone else say this?
  • Armoured_Bear 25 Jun 2013 06:44:49 8,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Kay wrote:

Here are some more:

You really think Nintendo knew their console was going to be a failure before it launched, and stopped supporting it before it launched? They just launched it for shits and giggles?

I'm confused, was this a joke, did someone else say this?
    It's LB's insanity, he's convinced.
    He also knows for sure that the moon landings were faked.

• mikew1985 25 Jun 2013 07:08:40 12,133 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    At present it doesn't look like a completely mental opinion, in fact I think he may be right. I mean the poor quality Mario title (it looks like it was originally a 3ds game to me) alone suggests it is a distinct possibility.

Add that to the, um, nothing they announced at e3 and it's not looking good.
  • LeoliansBro 25 Jun 2013 07:27:21 41,910 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But you can call it insanity if it makes you feel better ecosse.

• Phattso Moderator 25 Jun 2013 07:59:10 12,729 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think to suggest that any company would expend that amount of cash to release a knowingly stillborn product is a stretch. A big stretch, actually.

But I think (ha!) it's reasonable to assume they saw which way the wind was blowing after the lackluster start and decided to put all their eggs into the 'holiday season' basket. Time will tell, but I'd hope they have a festival of awesome planned for the back end of the year. Shock and awe (well, Mario and pals) to counter the new consoles at a more appealing price point.

Or they might as well just pull the life support in the New Year.
  • RyanDS 25 Jun 2013 08:07:45 8,713 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    I think to suggest that any company would expend that amount of cash to release a knowingly stillborn product is a stretch. A big stretch, actually.

But I think (ha!) it's reasonable to assume they saw which way the wind was blowing after the lackluster start and decided to put all their eggs into the 'holiday season' basket. Time will tell, but I'd hope they have a festival of awesome planned for the back end of the year. Shock and awe (well, Mario and pals) to counter the new consoles at a more appealing price point.

Or they might as well just pull the life support in the New Year.
    I don't know. They spent years of r&d on a product, only to find that it was lacklustre and very soon to be blown away by the opposition. What do you do? You either release it, knowing it will flounder, but at least make some money back, or you go right back to the drawing board and spend another few years with no release while you try to fix it, in the meantime losing money and having no brand recognition.

If I was them I would have done the first as well, it is a shitty thing for the people who buy it, but it is a perfectly reasonable thing to do in the circumstances.
  • Page

of 1214 First / Last