Wii U Page 723

• Page

of 1344 First / Last

• Kay 18 Jun 2013 13:38:48 17,756 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Problem is, the 3DS didn't have much in the way of competition. I suspect it'll be a tad harder for the Wii U to reverse its fortunes in the same way.

Edited by Kay at 13:39:10 18-06-2013
  • Psychotext 18 Jun 2013 13:46:46 53,775 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not to mention that whilst the 3DS wasn't selling great, it was no-where near that bad.

Funnily enough you could argue the 3DS is the reason they're in this situation anyway. When it started to struggle they dumped a ton of Wii development to concentrate on saving the 3DS (alienating the existing userbase). It's clear that their focus on the 3DS has also left them floundering for resources to use on the Wii U too.
  • Red_Bool 18 Jun 2013 14:10:49 1,173 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I know...just trying to convince myself that it'll all turn out right :)

Another one of my favourite trains of thought is that Retro is using the new DK game to get to grips with the new hardware and are using this new knowledge to create a new better HD Metroid Prime game (one can dream right :))
  • Cappy 18 Jun 2013 15:08:25 11,826 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Updated NPD figures for Wii U.

Had a great start, but a catastrophic drop since then (especially given in the early days the PS3 and 360 did terribly).
    It's even doing really badly tracked against the Gamecube isn't it?

I suppose it answers that 'what if?' Question; What if Nintendo made a console that relied entirely on their hardcore fanbase? Would there be enough of those guys out there to make it a success?

The answer is clearly, no.

Letting even the successful Wii die on the vine like all the others has knocked yet another few Million of the faithful off the bandwagon. That's how they lost me years ago, you're sitting there for years with no games, unless you're a real whack job you'll either look elsewhere at other platforms or exit gaming as a hobby entirely.

The Wii U is on track to barely break 15 Million units lifetime.
  • mal 18 Jun 2013 15:28:08 22,332 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Cappy

Yeah, that's it. They've flip flopped between trying to pull off the Wii trick again and properly supporting their hardcore fanbase. But most of their hardcore fanbase has pissed off after the fallow years of the Wii's lineup. Personally I've gone 3DS to fix my Nintendo habit.

To be fair though, between the best Mario games since Mario 64, a brand new Fire Emblem and some cracking RPGs there should have been enough to entice me. Only problem was most of those were released so far apart that every time I thought about jumping on the Wii bandwagon, most of them were out of print.

Red_Bool wrote:

Another one of my favourite trains of thought is that Retro is using the new DK game to get to grips with the new hardware and are using this new knowledge to create a new better HD Metroid Prime game (one can dream right :))
    You'll be lucky. The Wii U by all reports I've read is yet another spin on the Gamecube design - Retro should really know how to code for it by now.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Armoured_Bear 18 Jun 2013 15:31:26 10,240 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mal wrote:
    @Cappy

Yeah, that's it. They've flip flopped between trying to pull off the Wii trick again and properly supporting their hardcore fanbase. But most of their hardcore fanbase has pissed off after the fallow years of the Wii's lineup. Personally I've gone 3DS to fix my Nintendo habit.

To be fair though, between the best Mario games since Mario 64, a brand new Fire Emblem and some cracking RPGs there should have been enough to entice me. Only problem was most of those were released so far apart that every time I thought about jumping on the Wii bandwagon, most of them were out of print.

Red_Bool wrote:

You'll be lucky. The Wii U by all reports I've read is yet another spin on the Gamecube design - Retro should really know how to code for it by now.
    The CPU has similar origins but the GPU is completely different.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• neilka 18 Jun 2013 19:14:53 15,623 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A game is being released for the Wii U!

• Ienjoysquid 18 Jun 2013 21:07:30 30 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It will be interesting to see if fewer people owning Nintendo consoles this generation leads to a reduction in the number of paedos.
  • spazmo 18 Jun 2013 21:18:42 2,756 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Problem is, the 3DS didn't have much in the way of competition. I suspect it'll be a tad harder for the Wii U to reverse its fortunes in the same way.
    The 3DS uphill battle against mobile gaming has been forgotten already?
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Jun 2013 21:34:51 10,240 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    spazmo wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    The 3DS uphill battle against mobile gaming has been forgotten already?
    ..and the twin stick behemoth known as Vita?
    No, no competition.

• Deckard1 18 Jun 2013 21:40:11 27,049 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dear oh dear ecosse. Dear oh dear oh dear
  • Cappy 19 Jun 2013 12:46:37 11,826 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    An article like this puts it all into context. People always fall for Nintendo's patter, because they desperately want to believe.

Iwata says Wii will avoid major droughts that plagued GameCube. (March 2007)
    Iwata promises that 3DS will avoid major droughts that plagued Wii and DS.
    Iwata promises that Wii U will avoid major droughts that plagued 3DS and Wii.
    Iwata apologizes for Wii U drought in January and February.
    Zero promises fulfilled. Please understand.
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Jun 2013 12:56:14 10,240 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    An article like this puts it all into context. People always fall for Nintendo's patter, because they desperately want to believe.

Yep, they really need different management.

• LeoliansBro 19 Jun 2013 12:57:23 43,133 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Less time dicking around in front of a DK stand and more time working.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• spazmo 19 Jun 2013 12:58:45 2,756 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I bought a Wii U last week. Great games coming up. Toot toot!
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Jun 2013 13:00:13 10,240 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Yes, 5 games didn't get developed because the CEO posed for photos at a trade fair.

• neilka 19 Jun 2013 13:03:06 15,623 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It would only have been 4 but Miyamoto became wedged in the barrel and had to be removed by security.
  • RyanDS 19 Jun 2013 13:04:42 9,050 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Yes, 5 games didn't get developed because the CEO posed for photos at a trade fair.
    It is symptomatic though of their whole corporate culture. The entire business seems to revolve more around being zany and kooky rather than actually having any business sense.

Mind you, when you have 5 or 6 people working on each game max it's hard to keep a decent management structure.
  • Aretak 19 Jun 2013 13:07:17 10,345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really fancy buying a Wii U at the moment for some reason. If I could get a premium right now for 200, I'd bite. I suspect the new consoles will be here and I'll have lost interest by the time that happens though.
  • LeoliansBro 19 Jun 2013 13:11:59 43,133 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    It's symptomatic. Nintendo are more about 'look how kerazy and great our established franchises are, isn't it good that we don't take ourselves seriously and don't worry about nobody buying the WiiU' when everyone wants them to be 'we are actually working on Metroid, or Zelda, or a new IP, or indeed anything that isn't a side scroller or a super delayed Pikmin'.

• nickthegun 19 Jun 2013 13:11:59 58,782 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cappy wrote:

I genuinely cant believe its taken this long for someone to write an article like this.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• spazmo 19 Jun 2013 13:19:28 2,756 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep, and then they'll release a great game and all is forgiven. Doesn't that just eat you up inside?
  • DFawkes 19 Jun 2013 13:32:40 22,581 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I always felt the 3DS generally did avoid the droughts, for the most part. Then again, that's subjective, and I realise it's probably less a case of there being no 3DS drought and more just the releases that did happen being stuff I liked. Looking at it now, there was stuff coming out fairly regularly, but only in drips and drabs.

Can't say the same for the Wii U. Don't get me wrong, there's still a lot of stuff I have on my Wishlist, but it's all stuff from months ago!

Still, I don't have enough money for all the games I want anyway, meaning I've done far better on my gaming backlog than I've ever done before! That's just in general though. I still have goodness knows how many 360 (when I can borrow the console), 3DS, and PC games to get through too, as I have the attention span of an animal with an exceptionally short attention span.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Kay 19 Jun 2013 13:42:40 17,756 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    3DS had a pretty major drought in 2012, imo. At one point I was wondering if they'd stopped supporting the console and were shifting attention to the Wii U, ironically.

That's the thing with Nintendo, they'll be quiet for months and suddenly there will be a flurry of releases close together. Sales figures be damned, that's just how they work.
  • nickthegun 19 Jun 2013 13:49:55 58,782 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It also had a massive drought in the beginning. It was released in like march and nothing came out until the following winter.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• DFawkes 19 Jun 2013 13:55:23 22,581 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, looking at it, April and May 2012 were certainly dire, and the first few months didn't have much of note. I didn't notice as I played a lot of Kid Icarus, which was out in March (along with MGS3 which I didn't buy until later). Only really picked up in June where, as you say, there was a flurry of stuff.

Same with launch, the first notable game was probably Dead or Alive, a couple of months after launch. Then a couple of months again until Ocarina in June. As I say, I found plenty to get on with in the mean time, but the next proper push from Nintendo was in Mario 3D Land in November! As much as I enjoyed the likes of Resi: Mercenaries, Driver, Skylanders and Tetris (as well as the backlog I had), none of that stuff was really going to sell systems.

• malloc 19 Jun 2013 14:23:38 2,297 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What's really frustrating about being a Nintendo fan is that you know they're capable of producing real magic and being untouchable in the gaming world. I think is part of the belief that keeps N fans going when the reality with N is that they never quite maximise their potential and end up having to play it safe, with the recent announcements are playing it very very safe with the Wii U.
  • DFawkes 19 Jun 2013 14:38:02 22,581 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think Nintendo stuff is untouchable, but they do tend to be consistent. That can be a problem when this means consistently doing the stuff they get wrong, every single time. If they stopped being consistent with their silly decisions, it'd be a step in the right direction.

• LeoliansBro 19 Jun 2013 14:49:33 43,133 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They are drifting. SMG and SMG 2 were excellent but they peaked with Zelda and Metroid on the Gamecube, peaked with MarioKart on the N64 and the stuff announced (or merely absent) for the WiiU isn't going to shake up that for those four any time soon.

• Armoured_Bear 19 Jun 2013 14:51:54 10,240 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm really disappointed about the lack of Metroid.
    I can't help but think that Retro don't have it in them anymore to produce a 3D Metroid Prime style game.

• Page

of 1344 First / Last