Wii U Page 690

• Page

of 1363 First / Last

• addyb 27 May 2013 19:34:58 1,049 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @JiveHound

Congrats mate. Any dates planned or just seeing how it all goes?
  • Tekkirai 27 May 2013 19:35:12 104 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    @Tekkirai to my mind it shows the whole thing up for the ridiculous concept it is. You've got a game running in glorious HD on a massive screen in front of you and you're being forced to play on a cheap washed out screen??

I can appreciate the screen may offer some useful multiplayer shenanigans (that only Nintendo will ever utilise) but for single player games it's pointless just like smart glass. Nobody even uses the 3ds second screen anymore unless its for a map. Not even Nintendo.

Ok, there's professor Layton.
    Yeah it's not that useful. Though I do like it when for instance someone else occupies to the TV so to speak. Though the Vita with a PS4 is better for that I imagine, since the screen quality is friggin sublime. But it has a steep pricetag. But yeah, Wii U has a Fisher Price tablet, not much else to say about it.
  • mrpon 27 May 2013 19:39:53 28,907 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    In other news, I proposed to my girlfriend.

I'm telling everyone.

She said yes, strangely.
    With a deep voice?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• JiveHound 27 May 2013 19:43:47 2,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    @Sid-Nice yeah except I don't really want to be turning my volume on two things up and down all the time because Nintendo can't offer a simple menu option.

I forgot to add the ridiculous rigmarole for deleting an app/game as well. First the wii , then the DS, then the 3ds, now this and you still have to go dick about to delete an app. It's such a simple thing and yet they just can't be arsed doing it right.
    That kind of stuff you can write off as irritating but not deal breakers if the games were there. Currently they're not though so I got nuffin I'm afraid.

Edited by JiveHound at 19:46:18 27-05-2013

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• JiveHound 27 May 2013 19:45:41 2,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    mrpon wrote:
    JiveHound wrote:

I'm telling everyone.

She said yes, strangely.
    With a deep voice?
    Just because you saw me hanging around that club once.....

• Pinky_Floyd 27 May 2013 19:46:32 7,893 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    There's so much I hate about this shitty machine already,

The layout of the control sticks so your thumb is fully stretched and dragging the camera down slightly as you turn
    The awful frame rate on resident evil
    The useless YouTube app
    The three hour installation to get the cunting thing started
    Having mario running on another screen in the corner of your eye as you're playing it on a telly
    Feeling like you're going to drop it when you use the touchscreen
    Rayman having you switch between two screens all the time and making you balance the pad in one hand
    The contortionism to get to l and r
    How slow the fucking thing is

But do you know the worst bit?

That stupid fucking haunting music in the menus that makes me want to self harm. It was BAD on the wii, on this fucker you have it coming out of the fucking controller as well!

I can't even be arsed playing ZombieU I'm going to flog it tomorrow, ill make on it so its no loss.

I could deal with all the shit bits if I liked the controller but it half cheap android tablet half controller and its shit at both.

Ahhh now I feel better !
    Oh God! Just sell it, couldnt stick listening to you for the next x number of pages :)
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 27 May 2013 19:47:21 6,654 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    this shits on it's arse imo. Like to play hd mario but there's not one other game. Nightmare.
  • Pinky_Floyd 27 May 2013 19:48:34 7,893 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    this shits on it's arse imo. Like to play hd mario but there's not one other game. Nightmare.
    Sure there is. Lego City Undercover is a giant slice of gaming brilliance.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 27 May 2013 19:51:59 6,654 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is it. yeah quite good?

I want to play mario world again but i'm hoping we'll get it on 3ds
  • Pinky_Floyd 27 May 2013 19:53:20 7,893 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is it. yeah quite good?

I want to play mario world again but i'm hoping we'll get it on 3ds
    It's Lego GTA and hilarious with it.
  • JiveHound 27 May 2013 19:53:53 2,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Sell it.

If the promise of 3d Mario is all that's keeping you a Wii U customer you should get rid of.

I'm holding on due to the fact that Nintendo are still making awesome games. At some point they'll see fit to adorn their supposed 'lead system' with some love.

Pikmin 3 does look very enticing so they have my benefit of the doubt for now.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 27 May 2013 19:57:05 6,654 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    haven't bought one. I just watched a couple of videos of hd super mario, the 2d version.

But a 3d mario could prove tempting.
  • Sid-Nice 27 May 2013 20:01:32 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    addyb wrote:
    @JiveHound

I thought your post was in response to INSOMANiAC buying a Wii U. :)

NNID Sid-Nice

• Pinky_Floyd 27 May 2013 20:03:13 7,893 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    haven't bought one. I just watched a couple of videos of hd super mario, the 2d version.

But a 3d mario could prove tempting.
    My take on it is that I needed at least 3 games I really wanted to play along with at least the promise of more to come before I would buy.

I also refused to buy till I could get the basic new for 150 as I felt that represented reasonably good value.

Tell you one thing though, Super Mario Bros U is the best 2D Mario since Super Mario World, I love it find myself grinning ear to ear when I play it.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 27 May 2013 20:05:25 6,654 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cheers, it does look great.
  • CharlieStCloud 27 May 2013 20:15:07 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:

She said yes, strangely.
    Congratulations!

: )

In other news, INSOMANiAC's turn around makes for some funny reading.

The Wii U is just not very good at present.
  • Sid-Nice 27 May 2013 20:15:42 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can understand people getting frustrated the first time they boot up a Wii U and have to go through all the rigmarole of the "System Update etc." I have the misfortune of having Virgin Media as my internet provider and when I received my son's ZombiU bundle 2 day's before launch; I was pulling my hair out trying to get online.

I was even calling the Wii U "The biggest pile of fucking shit on the planet" I only wanted to have a quick blast of ZombiU as my son had asked "Can you set it up and have it ready for me when I finish work?"

Now I'm accustomed to the menu's, Miiverse etc. I find the console absolutely brilliant and can't wait for some first party titles.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Pinky_Floyd 27 May 2013 20:26:23 7,893 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    I can understand people getting frustrated the first time they boot up a Wii U and have to go through all the rigmarole of the "System Update etc." I have the misfortune of having Virgin Media as my internet provider and when I received my son's ZombiU bundle 2 day's before launch; I was pulling my hair out trying to get online.

I was even calling the Wii U "The biggest pile of fucking shit on the planet" I only wanted to have a quick blast of ZombiU as my son had asked "Can you set it up and have it ready for me when I finish work?"

Now I'm accustomed to the menu's, Miiverse etc. I find the console absolutely brilliant and can't wait for some first party titles.
    Mine went online first go and was updated within an hour. I find the menus perfectly functional, if a little slow. Insomniac going apeshit angry because he doesn't want to use the volume slider on the gamepad did have me chuckling.

Miiverse is knockout though. Being able to go there from in game and post a screen or read posts is just brilliant. It's simple and functional with little bells and whistles which make it really accessible, how it should be. Then you can just return to the exact same place you were at in game.
  • mrpon 27 May 2013 20:36:48 28,907 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maniacs posts can be pretty much ignored. He had a similar rant in the Nook thread, a fabulous little device for less than 30.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• DFawkes 27 May 2013 23:30:10 22,956 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Miiverse is knockout though. Being able to go there from in game and post a screen or read posts is just brilliant. It's simple and functional with little bells and whistles which make it really accessible, how it should be. Then you can just return to the exact same place you were at in game.
    Plus don't forget you can pop on to it on PC now, should you want to just do a bit browsing. Works on smartphones too, or at least the ones I've tried it on, for some bus based browsing :) Can reply to messages with text, but not drawings for obvious reasons.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Raiko101 28 May 2013 00:21:39 6,301 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm going to go as far as saying the Wii U's OS is the best of the bunch. All your games appear on the Gamepad fron the word go. The shop and web browser are right there too. The Wara Plaza is a fun distraction between games and Miiverse is brilliant.

And since the update it runs no slower than my Xbox. I can boot a game from 'power on' much faster than my 360.

Edit - You've gotta love Miiverse every time a new community appears for a rubbish game. It's like all gamers come together to take the piss out of it.

Edited by Raiko101 at 04:51:25 28-05-2013

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• thegofp 28 May 2013 06:14:42 169 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Am I the only person who got all the updates done in less than 30 minutes? Always wondered why folks were complaining about updates times, unless Australia gets servers all to themselves for updates? (I was under the impression we just used the European ones)
  • INSOMANiAC 28 May 2013 08:22:46 3,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @mrpon to be fair my Nook was fucked from the off, and I tend to get nerd rage when I buy something and it isnt as good as I had hoped. I think too few people are prepared to slag off something they've just bought. I tend to see everything thats wrong with something and go on a rant and then it grows on me.

To say my posts can be ignored when every single problem I've listed is true.... well thats up to you...

Now Ive calmed down and spent a couple of hours on ZombieU and Mario, life isnt as bad as I thought. My first world problems arent insurmountable.

Mario, from what I've played so far really is the best 2D mario for many years and ZombieU doesnt disappoint although I got slaughtered at the first sign of a horde. its a shame there isnt more animations for the cricket bat swing though. I still want to hurt myself and others at that Nintendo hypnosis music though.

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 08:24:17 28-05-2013

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Phattso Moderator 28 May 2013 08:50:46 13,328 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So is it fair to say, INSOMANiAC, that when you started actually playing games on your games console the level of fun you experienced went up, and the level of general frustration went down?

I think we can all learn from your example. Someone should send a memo. The world needs to know. :)
  • JiveHound 28 May 2013 09:27:22 2,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    addyb wrote:
    @JiveHound

Cheers mate. I have no idea about dates. When we next get a day off together we'll start coming up with a plan.

• Deleted user 28 May 2013 10:35:41
    thegofp wrote:
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Am I the only person who got all the updates done in less than 30 minutes? Always wondered why folks were complaining about updates times, unless Australia gets servers all to themselves for updates? (I was under the impression we just used the European ones)
    I'm pretty sure the update times are less about the internet and more to do with the internal storage speed with small files in the WiiU. My update only took about 30mins, but it is possible the firmware file format has evolved since launch to use a large contiguous container file(eg zip). Writing to SD storage in larger blocks of 1MB and greater tends to provide optimal performance (10x 20x faster than small files)if you watch the Windows 8 file copying graph when moving various files sizes to SD storage.
  • Wolves1877 28 May 2013 10:42:46 404 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I've had my Wii U for about 2 weeks now, The update on my system took about 40 - 50 mins.

• DFawkes 28 May 2013 10:56:21 22,956 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    I still want to hurt myself and others at that Nintendo hypnosis music though.
    Although I actually find it quite soothing, I have to admit it's almost certainly the kind of music they'd play to people in Hell to destroy their minds ;)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• MrSemprini 28 May 2013 11:58:17 9,416 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:I think too few people are prepared to slag off something they've just bought.
    There is some truth in that. People are usually too busy slagging off something they haven't bought.

Anyways, took a punt on one of these white elephants when the price went below 150 in the, perhaps foolish, expectation that it might be worth it over 4-5 years. No nerd rage yet, went into it with eyes open and got what I expected, amateur hour OS and a paltry selection of games so it can just sit awhile until something, anything, decent turns up.
  • DFawkes 28 May 2013 12:13:11 22,956 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    I'm going to go as far as saying the Wii U's OS is the best of the bunch. All your games appear on the Gamepad fron the word go. The shop and web browser are right there too. The Wara Plaza is a fun distraction between games and Miiverse is brilliant.
    As far as gaming goes, I certainly prefer it. Boot up, press icon representing game, play game. It's not even all that slow any more, so it does exactly what I want a console to do.

The Wara Plaza is an interesting one, as it sort of acts as a billboard for newer games and a social hub in one, without feeling obtrusive. If you see something you like, you can hit the icon and go to the Miiverse for that title and see peoples experiences first hand. I quite like that. Whilst vulgar stuff is censored, people aren't shy about telling you a game sucks!

At the same time, if I did want that multimedia console experience that some others do, this isn't really the OS for that. Sure, you can pop into Netflix or similar, but I wouldn't buy a Wii U for that sort of thing.

• Page

of 1363 First / Last