Wii U Page 681

• Page

of 1365 First / Last

• midi82 21 May 2013 15:08:02 673 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Be prepared to spend hours of your life killing monsters.

The game starts off pretty slow, but once you kill your first big monster you'll be hooked.
  • markyHD 21 May 2013 15:09:40 455 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd

I mentioned this a while ago. Basically a £199 Wii U with mario kart HD or something bundled and they will smash Xmas imo
  • Sid-Nice 21 May 2013 15:28:38 15,851 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A new Wii U update is now available 3.0.1 E.

NNID Sid-Nice

• nickthegun 21 May 2013 15:38:29 60,135 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does this one increase the CPU clock speed to 1.21 gigawatts?

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• midi82 21 May 2013 15:44:31 673 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's now 2 got petaflops and will run frostbite 12,
  • nickthegun 21 May 2013 15:51:45 60,135 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And to think they laughed at ongoing firmware updates

• Wolves1877 21 May 2013 15:52:29 407 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The new software update info is found here.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Wii-U/System-Updates/Latest-system-update-information/Latest-system-update-information-677417.html

• YenRug 21 May 2013 15:54:30 2,246 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    The ability to re-map controls in any virtual console game and also to suspend and resume play at any point simple, functional and lets be honest, long overdue. All systems need this basic functionality, the technology is there to do away with save points forever and let the user decide. No more switching off and losing progress when the door bell rings or the kids wake.
    I did this in Super Metroid, remapped the L and R buttons to the L and R triggers. Unfortunately, it didn't automatically remap the R trigger menu to another button instead, so I can't call up the menu and, so far, haven't found the menu entry to adjust the button mapping once more...
  • Sid-Nice 21 May 2013 15:54:38 15,851 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Does this one increase the CPU clock speed to 1.21 gigawatts?
    No it prevents Miiverse hacking from trolls.

NNID Sid-Nice

• nickthegun 21 May 2013 15:58:48 60,135 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thats what you get when you market a console to Billy Goats.

• Sid-Nice 21 May 2013 16:02:47 15,851 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Thats what you get when you market a console to Billy Goats.
    I thought he was the head of Microsoft?

The Home button on the Wii U now flashes red when a paedophile comes online; it will be like a disco.

NNID Sid-Nice

• nickthegun 21 May 2013 16:04:45 60,135 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey, we are trying to keep it light, here.

• macmurphy 21 May 2013 16:13:47 999 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was playing Galaxy 2 yesterday. I think Nintendo always have a chance to pull it out of the bag when they make games like that.

I think people are right, the Wii U will never have much appeal to the dedicated gaming market. But the popularity of the 3DS, and the way it turned from looking like it was struggling to being really popular, gives me hope.

If Nintendo can somehow entice some of the casual people they got with Wii, and continue with first party excellence, they could always turn it around.

As MarkyHD said, a £200 console with Mariokart at Christmas will appeal. If they can do a decent job with Wii Fit U, and maybe come up with some brain training type stuff that allows people to use the tablet for off screen play, they could still attract a lot of people. Casual gamers and older people lapped up the DSXL for the puzzlers and stylus based games. The tablet controller will still grab those people, if Nintendo get the right games and market it well.

I'm really sad that it seems like Nintendo will always have to be a second console option to serious gamers - I use the term loosely but I mean people that want the latest, biggest and brightest stuff. But if they can position themselves with great first party games and some interesting third party stuff - things like the Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 - then they can still offer something to gaming fans.

But they need to make a lot of money from the casual market they so successfully courted with the Wii, and as a lot of people have said we do not know if lightning will strike twice.

As it is it's not looking great for them, but as long as they can come up with five or six titles like Galazy, Smash Brothers and Pikmin I'll still be on board.

The only other thing I would say is no one knows how the industry is going to go. A lot of people seemed to get tired of reskins, repetition and the annual franchise updates that seem to have blighted the industry for the last few years. At least on the Wii U development budgets will be reduced in comparison the next generation Microsoft and Sony consoles, because it doesn't have the graphical power that bloats budgets and dev teams. The WiiU might be a place that indies and smaller teams could thrive and offer something different.

It's all speculation now, I think we will know after this Christmas. If it doesn't start selling soon then they are in real trouble.
  • Deckard1 21 May 2013 16:15:58 28,244 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    £65 and a few free games and I'd be all over it.
  • Sid-Nice 21 May 2013 16:26:22 15,851 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Prepares for constant red light.

NNID Sid-Nice

• midi82 21 May 2013 16:35:00 673 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It'll be just like having an Xbox
  • AceGrace 21 May 2013 16:36:49 1,132 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Changes in system software version 3.0.1E

Improvement to system stability
    Improved compatibility with certain software

What improvements?

What software has improved compatibility?

This is aimed at all console manufacturers.
  • Cappy 21 May 2013 16:37:33 11,960 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Riddle me this fans.

How do you reconcile chest beating statements such as; 'Nintendo don't need to worry, they have the War Chest!' 'So much money (scalped from gamers) they can't lose!" Usually closed with something like; 'They could have an unpopular console for seven generations, Nintendo have so much money!'

With; 'Nintendo can't give gamers good hardware/software that's competitive with other console offerings, they're not big enough/don't have enough money'

You can't use both arguments, Nintendo are either flush and not particularly worried or they're pinching Pennies. They can't be both at the same time.
  • JYM60 21 May 2013 17:03:52 16,832 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can barely think of a studio they own. I think they own Retro, or are they second party? There must people like 4 actual people who develop games under the name Nintendo, so I expect one great game every 4 years or there about.
    And once again third parties aren't going to spend much money developing for whacky ideas like motion controlers and touch tablet controlers, so all the great third party stuff will be on the other consoles.

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• neilka 21 May 2013 17:07:09 16,101 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AceGrace wrote:
    What software has improved compatibility?
    CERTAIN SOFTWARE

Lastly, I am gay, disabled, and a liberal.

• Raiko101 21 May 2013 17:10:15 6,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @YenRug Hit the touch screen. It'll bring up the menu.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• DFawkes 21 May 2013 18:08:56 23,040 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    You can't use both arguments, Nintendo are either flush and not particularly worried or they're pinching Pennies. They can't be both at the same time.
    I agree, indeed you can't. I don't think anyone here has ever really argued otherwise though. Seems a bit of a strawman, though it probably happened and I missed it/can't see it due to certain people bring invisible just now ;)

Of course they could invest in proper next gen hardware. They just aren't, for whatever reason. We could speculate on their reasons, but I think we've covered those many times over. It does seem like one more focused investment to create something that would be more competitive in a years time would've been smarter in the long term.

The Wii U has some nice unique functionality, but they could've done the same with a more powerful machine, perhaps subsidising it's development with 3DS stuff. I'm sure they have their reasons, even if they are silly ones.

As for the new update, it'd be easy to be cynical and believe it was anything to do with that recent hack thing ;) I generally assume it's a security update if they don't give anything specific.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Lt_Drebin 21 May 2013 19:13:15 162 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I always thought it was more that they could provide the hardware, but they've kept internal dev teams smaller in order to generate all their wealth. They therefore don't have the manpower to match the annual release of epic HD games like ubisoft or activision, so cutting-edge hardware would be wasted (or the releases spread even more thinly- if that's possible). I could be totally wrong with that thinking though.
  • Lt_Drebin 21 May 2013 19:13:46 162 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Edit: double post, sorry.

Edited by Lt_Drebin at 19:15:23 21-05-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 21 May 2013 20:00:01 5,219 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I cannot believe I am saying this so soon ...

... after the Xbox One reveal, I think I would be happier with a Wii U!

It was all about snagging exclusive content within popular games (Call of Duty and FIFA), Kinect 2.0, all the TV bobbins that we won't get over here, Kinect 2.0, the SIXTH Forza game in as little as a shy over eight years, Kinect 2.0, Kinect 2.0, Kinect 2.0 and on and on.

Oh, and the Xbox One looks like a Bang and Olufsen VHS ... how uncool!

• DFawkes 21 May 2013 20:06:02 23,040 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think you should put too much stock in that Xbox hardware presentation. It'll be E3 where all 3 consoles get the proper games announcements done :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Sid-Nice 21 May 2013 20:58:26 15,851 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thank you Microsoft for saving the Wii U.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Deckard1 21 May 2013 21:07:44 28,244 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Microsofts new console could be a 22 stone naked man from Uzbekistan, who shits in your sock draw before raping your wife, and it still wouldn't be saving the Wii U.

Edited by Deckard1 at 21:10:23 21-05-2013
  • Sid-Nice 21 May 2013 21:43:06 15,851 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He didn't shit in my sock draw; I have natural sweaty feet and it wasn't rape she paid him.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Sid-Nice 21 May 2013 21:44:46 15,851 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Riddle me this fans.

How do you reconcile chest beating statements such as; 'Nintendo don't need to worry, they have the War Chest!' 'So much money (scalped from gamers) they can't lose!" Usually closed with something like; 'They could have an unpopular console for seven generations, Nintendo have so much money!'

With; 'Nintendo can't give gamers good hardware/software that's competitive with other console offerings, they're not big enough/don't have enough money'

Nintendo have to satisfy the shareholders before gamers; I don't think launching hardware with parity to the PS4/Xbox One would be beneficial to Nintendo or their fans. Even a Nintendo console more powerful than the Xbox One and PS4 wouldn't guarantee third party support.

What forced Nintendo to be different was the fiasco with Sony over the SNES CD add-on ((birth of the PlayStation) when at the eleventh hour Nintendo jumped ship and formed a partnership with Phillips; due to the small print in the Sony contract which gave Sony ownership of all game music and characters on the CD.

Since then Nintendo have fucked about with different forms of media; the production costs of cartridge based games and the limitations of the Mini DVD did affect third party support, especially when the disk medium CD and then DVD was the way forward and more cost efficient.

Nintendo live in their own little world; of course Nintendo could develop a console with parity to Microsoft and Sony machines, but they couldn’t (financially) and wouldn’t (philosophy) pay for exclusivities. The Wii U will be powerful enough for first party exclusives and hopefully we see what the future holds at E3.

I don’t think Nintendo have a big enough reserve to compete with the opposition and fail; aiming for a niche market or becoming everyone’s second console is their best option. I hope the Wii U is successful enough for Nintendo to continue making hardware and they launch a new console in 2017 with architecture similar to the next gen/PC without a gimmick.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Page

of 1365 First / Last