Wii U Page 680

• Page

of 1348 First / Last

• Sid-Nice 20 May 2013 09:46:44 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    midi82 wrote:
    [link url=http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/19/smash-bros-mario-mario-kart-in-upcoming-nintendo-direct
    ]E3 Direct[/link]

That's more like it.
    That is from a Tweet by Iwata just after the 17/05/13 Nintendo Direct; Quote "We'll talk about new Smash Bros, 3D Mario, Mario Kart and more before E3." I hope there is more than just "talk."

NNID Sid-Nice

• nickthegun 20 May 2013 09:48:48 58,948 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    spazmo wrote:
    Death by apathy just makes me think of Kinect. Everyone remembers Kinect right?

There's a lot of doom and gloom surrounding the Wii U at the moment but damn if the appetite to discuss it (and Nintendo in general) seems to never abate. They have a pretty good lineup of games coming and that will determine it's success or failure.
    I can't help but feel we would have forgotten about Kinect if it wasn't for MS trying to shove it down our throats whether we like it or not.

It remains to be seen if they "do a Nintendo" and push gimmicks no-one wants over the core experience.
    This is the thing about kinect. Its actually quite cool in bursts but its optional. You can completely ignore it if you want. If it is ever pushed into the core experience, thats when the xbox is dead.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Sid-Nice 20 May 2013 09:48:57 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    spazmo wrote:
    Death by apathy just makes me think of Kinect. Everyone remembers Kinect right?

There's a lot of doom and gloom surrounding the Wii U at the moment but damn if the appetite to discuss it (and Nintendo in general) seems to never abate. They have a pretty good lineup of games coming and that will determine it's success or failure.
    I can't help but feel we would have forgotten about Kinect if it wasn't for MS trying to shove it down our throats whether we like it or not.

It remains to be seen if they "do a Nintendo" and push gimmicks no-one wants over the core experience.
    Microsoft only spent $500 million launching Kinect. :)

NNID Sid-Nice

• MrTomFTW Moderator 20 May 2013 09:57:53 37,423 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I believe Kinect has done really well for Microsoft despite that $500 mil. But then the Wii did really well for Nintendo (understatement or what?) and look where it got them...

I do kinda like the idea of Kinect, if the new version sorts the tech issues... I just lack the room :)

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• nickthegun 20 May 2013 10:02:35 58,948 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now ive moved, I have the room to comfortably to a two player kinect and it is good fun. Ive still given the mrs a welt, though.

Again, though, its nice to visit but you wouldnt want to live there.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• JiveHound 20 May 2013 10:07:44 2,348 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Kinect had a lot of potential as Project Natal. Every subsequent announcement as release got near reduced the scope considerably.

If Kinect 2.0, realises some of that potential then I'm interested in learning more.

I had a kinect for a bit and while I enjoyed Dance Central the tech had little more than a sort of Ipad application. Albeit in a virtual space rather than a screen.

It helped me get down from 14 stone to 11 stone and start getting healthier so my antecdotal evidence is going to be coloured somewhat by my health epiphany.

Pleased to hear that we'll finally get to see what they've been making all this time.

I'm actually finding myself looking forward to Luigi U as I enjoyed Mario U so much.

Edited by JiveHound at 10:10:23 20-05-2013

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Progguitarist 20 May 2013 10:33:52 10,401 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @vizzini For fucks sake man, are you gonna stand up for the Cell chip or what?
  • DFawkes 20 May 2013 10:57:27 22,619 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Ubisoft positive about Wii U blah blah blah:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/19/4346852/ubisoft-confident-in-nintendo-wii-us-future
    Looks like they're just being reasonable and not burning any bridges. Not really any need for it either - if you don't think making Wii U games will be profitable, just stop making them quietly. That way, should it get to a point where it looks like they will make money, you make them again.

Indeed, it looks like in general they're playing it fairly smart. The stuff they've got coming up is all multi-format, but that's pretty much what the Wii U feels like it was designed for (until next gen kicks in, of course). They even gave us that Rayman Challenge Mode thing as a quick freebie, which was nice. I honestly can't see them doing more exclusives, but I'm not fussy about that. I'd love to see ZombiU 2 (no, not a brain-munching Bono) as a multi-platform release.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• CharlieStCloud 20 May 2013 14:40:01 5,135 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Wii is selling more than Wii U in America (in April) by almost 15,000 units.

... although 38,000 is the number being thrown around, it isn't quite one hundred percent confirmed yet.

Makes me feel a little bit like this:

: (
  • Sid-Nice 20 May 2013 14:58:29 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The PS2 was outselling the PS3 for a long time in the US and Japan and the PSP was outselling the Vita in Japan until the price cut. Nintendo might have sold 90K Wii U's in the US if people could differentiate between the 2 consoles. Over $200 for a controller with a screen on it is ridiculous.

That leaked/rumoured 38K could be 380K with a price cut and when the right software arrives.

NNID Sid-Nice

• DFawkes 20 May 2013 15:04:22 22,619 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do you have a source for that, StCloud? Not that I don't believe it (in fact it seems a bit optimistic, if anything), but google is being remarkably unhelpful. Cheers :)

• yupyup 20 May 2013 15:05:05 3,679 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The difference is the PS2 actually had games to warrant a system purchase. Who in god's name is still buying a wii?

Hands Off Our Penises

• CharlieStCloud 20 May 2013 15:08:00 5,135 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Do you have a source for that, StCloud? Not that I don't believe it (in fact it seems a bit optimistic, if anything), but google is being remarkably unhelpful. Cheers :)
    YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME!

*sobs*

VG 24/7, Nintendo Life, Joystick and Twitter.
  • DFawkes 20 May 2013 15:09:41 22,619 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Of course I believe you! If you say that's how it is, then that's how it is :) Heck, I've seen stuff reported on gaming sites with less than that.

Just curious about other console numbers too, and was hoping whatever source there was would have those.

• Sid-Nice 20 May 2013 17:53:07 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    yupyup wrote:
    The difference is the PS2 actually had games to warrant a system purchase. Who in god's name is still buying a wii?
    The PS2 had more shovel-ware than the Wii and sold well due to piracy; when you consider the best selling PS2 games sold 17 million from an install base of 155 million.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Sid-Nice 20 May 2013 17:58:29 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    NPD no longer release console sales figures and these numbers are in answer to a Tweet to Michael Pachter.

(ICallitFutile @ICallitFutile

@michaelpachter Close? April NPD: Xbox 360 = 130K, PS3 = 100.5k, Wii U = 38K, 3DS = 101.5k, DS = 60K, Wii = 42K, PSV = 15K, PS2 + PSP = 7K

Michael Pachter ✔ @michaelpachter

@ICallitFutile Yes, close. Off on 3DS/DS, though.

NNID Sid-Nice

• DFawkes 20 May 2013 18:25:19 22,619 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's the sort of figures I was curious to see. Cheers Sid :) DS still selling better than I'd expect, given there isn't all that much a price gap between that and the 3DS. Still good sales of 360 and PS3 too, though that's not surprising as they're good consoles.

• Sid-Nice 20 May 2013 23:31:37 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I predict this to be Jeffrey Matulef next Wii U article.

NNID Sid-Nice

• DFawkes 20 May 2013 23:46:32 22,619 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well that's vaguely disappointing, though I'd still like it released here so I can play it. It's not like I'm not used to disappointing but still perfectly playable ports as a Wii U owner ;)

Edited by DFawkes at 23:47:12 20-05-2013

• Deleted user 20 May 2013 23:59:01
    DFawkes wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/19/4346852/ubisoft-confident-in-nintendo-wii-us-future
    Looks like they're just being reasonable and not burning any bridges. Not really any need for it either - if you don't think making Wii U games will be profitable, just stop making them quietly. That way, should it get to a point where it looks like they will make money, you make them again.

Indeed, it looks like in general they're playing it fairly smart. The stuff they've got coming up is all multi-format, but that's pretty much what the Wii U feels like it was designed for (until next gen kicks in, of course). They even gave us that Rayman Challenge Mode thing as a quick freebie, which was nice. I honestly can't see them doing more exclusives, but I'm not fussy about that. I'd love to see ZombiU 2 (no, not a brain-munching Bono) as a multi-platform release.
    Enjoyed the way that gameindustry were blatantly fishing for another negative wii u story there. I guess they were in their right to ask around after the EAgate stuff last week, but it pretty clear that ubi were already supporting the console.

(and also only a couple of sites have reported this compared to the EA story)
  • Deleted user 20 May 2013 23:59:02
    DFawkes wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:

Enjoyed the way that gameindustry were blatantly fishing for another negative wii u story there. I guess they were in their right to ask around after the EAgate stuff last week, but it pretty clear that ubi were already supporting the console.

(and also only a couple of sites have reported this compared to the EA story)
  • Cappy 21 May 2013 00:02:59 11,835 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You're getting the best two mainline Yakuza games on one disc, if you can live with the knowledge that Kazuma Kiryu has less jaggies on another console it's worth a look.

Regarding the story, it's pretty interesting. They had a proper writer, a novelist write the story for the first game, it's a taut thriller. Every game after that get's more and more silly with plots lifted from straight to VHS 80s films, it has it's charms though, especially in the side missions where you meet some real 'characters' and end up in bizarre situations.

Edited by Cappy at 00:06:06 21-05-2013
  • Sid-Nice 21 May 2013 00:28:43 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Well that's vaguely disappointing, though I'd still like it released here so I can play it. It's not like I'm not used to disappointing but still perfectly playable ports as a Wii U owner ;)
    How do we know that the Wii U picture it is not a scan from the PS3 version used to promote the Wii U game? We did have Xbox 360 footage demonstrating up and coming Wii U ports at E3.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Cappy 21 May 2013 00:32:32 11,835 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    How do we know that the Wii U picture it is not a scan from the PS3 version used to promote the Wii U game?
    Because the PS3 version has been out since last year. They know it doesn't have those jaggies.
  • Sid-Nice 21 May 2013 00:54:58 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok it could be a scan from the PS2 version; even the PS3 HD version looks poor, a bit like a PS2 game running in HD on a PS3. I don't see the jaggies in the video.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Cappy 21 May 2013 08:22:25 11,835 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just a few days ago the Resident Evil: Revelations demo came out, the Wii U version is worse than the PS3 version. These things happen.
  • neilka 21 May 2013 08:30:29 15,681 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It'll be fine, we just have to hope that nobody announces any next gen consoles in the near future.
  • Frogofdoom 21 May 2013 08:33:35 871 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Think i lasted up until the first monster on that demo and turned it off. What a terrible game it is.
  • Pinky_Floyd 21 May 2013 09:36:44 7,496 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So took a step back last night and just had a play around with the system and tried a little Nintendo land with my wife.

Miiverse is a clever idea. I jumped straight into it from Super Metroid (the game just suspends) and was able to see posts and screens. You can post a screen, ask for help, folk can reply and rate etc. It's just a web page, yes, but it feels like a little community inside the game which is pretty neat.

The ability to re-map controls in any virtual console game and also to suspend and resume play at any point simple, functional and lets be honest, long overdue. All systems need this basic functionality, the technology is there to do away with save points forever and let the user decide. No more switching off and losing progress when the door bell rings or the kids wake.

The little pikmin game inside Nintendo land is genius. We had a right giggle playing it. It looks and sounds brilliant and controls superbly. Mario chase was ok, think my 4 year should enjoy that one.

The console and games definitely feel a little different from what's out there, as with the Wii, but on a different level, I'm fairly certain that Nintendo don't need to compete with the PS4 and Durango's graphics as the graphics for the type of games Nintendo like to put out are actually perfectly fine. Yeah, the old hardcore COD players want like for like ports, but who has only one console these days, and if you do only have one console and it's a Wii U then you're a bit of an idiot anyway.

Given that Nintendo have bags of money and probably a few ace games up there sleeve there's no reason that the Wii U can't tick over nicely until around Xmas when there should be more choice.

I know one thing, even with PS4 and Durango available at Xmas I can see the Wii U doing very nicely indeed simply because the super consoles will surely hit the 300 (at least) entry point. That's a big ask for parents to come up with at Xmas. The Wii U should have settled into a 150 price point and the kids still get to play their old Wii games and use their old wiimotes.

I don't think I've read one single thing about pricing and it's importance for this coming Xmas, and if you don't take it into account then I feel it's a very short sighted view of things.

So yeah, been having fun reading the doom and gloom articles of late. If they turn out to be true, fair enough, but long runs the fox (with the big fat wallet).
  • Wolves1877 21 May 2013 14:58:14 385 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Just purchased Monster Hunter Ultimate, Anything I should know before I get into it & start?

• Page

of 1348 First / Last