Wii U Page 675

• Page

of 1348 First / Last

• Bremenacht 17 May 2013 18:08:11 17,614 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does the Wii U have a bigger installed base than the GC did by this point? If so, surely there's a lot of scope for recovery, if Nintendo can cough up the games (seeing as few others can be bothered to).
  • Bremenacht 17 May 2013 18:09:43 17,614 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    It'll be interesting to see what Nintendo pull out of the hat for E3 but they aren't having a conference so I can't imagine it's anything huge right?
    I don't see why anyone expects much out of them for E3, given their track record. If they announce more than one thing that isn't already widely known, I'll be surprised.
  • DFawkes 17 May 2013 18:15:31 22,615 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    From what financial reports I can find, the Wii U seems to have sold more than the Gamecube had at the same point. Only just though. Don't think that'll help much given it had far better momentum and more announced.

They really need a good line up this E3 to show they have confidence in their own console. As you say brem, I'd be surprised if it was even 1 unannounced game.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Aretak 17 May 2013 18:19:05 10,346 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Wii U is significantly behind the GameCube in both hardware and software sales in the US at least.

http://i.imgur.com/Q4oylxQ.png

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/386207/wii-u-game-sales-far-behind-launch-levels-for-gamecube-and-wii/
  • DFawkes 17 May 2013 18:21:33 22,615 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Japan and Europe must've took the strain then. Would also explain one of.many good reasons why EA wouldn't want to support it given their stuff is more for the western market.

Edited by DFawkes at 18:38:35 17-05-2013

• Baihu1983 17 May 2013 18:24:31 3,312 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Interesting that Sega are bring Yakuza 1 and 2HD to the Wii U at least in Japan. Will they end up bringing the others?
  • Psychotext 17 May 2013 19:16:21 53,855 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Japan and Europe must've took the strain then.
    Shipped vs Sold. Look at how little Nintendo shipped in the second quarter of the Wii U's life.

The reason? Retailers wont take any more stock from them until they've sold the first lot.
  • Cappy 17 May 2013 19:32:14 11,832 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At this point when sales are slowing, the real danger is disinterested Wii U owners dumping their consoles back into a retail channel which is already stuffed.

This was one problem for the Gamecube as I recall, Nintendo were offering hardware at a great price but people had already been turned off by the sluggish release schedules and retail was swamped with secondhand Gamecubes, no matter what Nintendo was doing on the retail price and bundling side, Gamecubes that people didn't want anymore were traded in at retailers faster than new units were selling.
  • Deleted user 17 May 2013 19:45:23
    Did anyone see the Direct? I was looking for the point, but I couldn't find it.

What a waste of time that crap was.

Seriously Nintendo, sod the rabbit, you need to pull a lion out of hat this E3.

Edited by Rec at 19:45:44 17-05-2013
  • Aretak 17 May 2013 20:42:21 10,346 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    More delicious Twitter drama unfolding with a senior software engineer at EA describing the Wii U as "complete crap" which is "less powerful than an Xbox 360" and Nintendo as "walking dead at this point".

https://twitter.com/BobSummerwill
    NeoGAF
  • DFawkes 17 May 2013 20:51:15 22,615 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bob's certainly got one thing wrong. It's not just Mario and Zelda that make money, that's just silly. It's Mario, Zelda AND Pokemon! Imagine forgetting Pokemon.

The rest he could probably justify if he were writing a proper article. Twitter isn't the best place for that.

• Sid-Nice 17 May 2013 20:53:45 15,852 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Does the Wii U have a bigger installed base than the GC did by this point? If so, surely there's a lot of scope for recovery, if Nintendo can cough up the games (seeing as few others can be bothered to).
    The GameCube had a record launch in the UK 179,000 I think; the Wii U is currently 230,560 units behind the GameCube in the US during the same timeframe. The destiny of the Wii U is in Nintendo's hands; will they risk developing some of their best franchises, if the console is on its last legs?

NNID Sid-Nice

• Sid-Nice 17 May 2013 21:01:13 15,852 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Bob's certainly got one thing wrong. It's not just Mario and Zelda that make money, that's just silly. It's Mario, Zelda AND Pokemon! Imagine forgetting Pokemon.

The rest he could probably justify if he were writing a proper article. Twitter isn't the best place for that.
    What about Animal Crossing?

NNID Sid-Nice

• DFawkes 17 May 2013 21:07:58 22,615 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They're profitable enough I suppose, but not as heavily merchandised, in the UK at least. You can get almost anything Pokemon branded. Animal Crossing isn't as popular, though there are plushies and a few things in the shop.

• ecureuil 17 May 2013 21:13:05 76,530 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    More delicious Twitter drama unfolding with a senior software engineer at EA describing the Wii U as "complete crap" which is "less powerful than an Xbox 360" and Nintendo as "walking dead at this point".

https://twitter.com/BobSummerwill
    NeoGAF
    I've spoken to a developer who says basically the same thing, though he was a bit nicer about it. Anyone that's been working around Xbox 360 hardware for the past 7 years is going to be super hyped with the opportunities presented by the new consoles. These guys want to be making the best games they possibly can. Which developers would be excited about making a Wii U game when the technically-superior PS4/new Xbox are out? The controller isn't that interesting.

Edited by ecureuil at 21:13:13 17-05-2013
  • Ryze 17 May 2013 21:21:43 3,123 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Nintendo Wii U - Death by Apathy
    There's also today's announcement that Sega is handing publishing duties of Sonic the Hedgehog over to Nintendo, like Sonic the Hedgehog still means something to the games player. It doesn't, it's a tired old mascot who jumped the shark when Sega painted him black and gave him a gun.
    Spot on there. That was exactly when I stopped bothering with expecting any magic from Sonic - when they made a shit game about the black one with guns.

This sort of announcement wont make any waves across the globe. They'd better have something really SPECIAL up their sleeves for the E3 period, or they've had it. This should have included a surprise Shenmue 3 joint-venture announcement, with a surprise, immediate 1080p version of the first Shenmue on the eShop, with a 1080p Shenmue 2 in a couple of months, and 3 for Christmas. That'd be a bit costly for these two to bet the farm on, however.

They're like two old, long past their prime Boxers coming out of retirement for a payday fight with that announcement.

Late 2010 would have been the year for the Wii U to clean up against Kinect and Move. They've lost momentum trying to 'prolong the generation', and allowed the Wii to die a death and for the fans to move on.

Edited by Ryze at 21:23:06 17-05-2013
  • ecureuil 17 May 2013 21:27:28 76,530 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Would the greater gaming public care about Shenmue 3? I would think they'd have to get GTA V as an exclusive or something of that magnitude. It's rapidly falling in to the same catch-22 as the Vita. Nobody is buying it because there are no games because nobody is buying it.
  • Progguitarist 17 May 2013 21:30:27 10,401 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was DOA really wasn't it?

No-one seemed to be enthused about it from day one. The E3 thread last year was full of derision towards it.

It'll probably linger for a couple of years then I think Nintendo will put a bullet in it.
  • Progguitarist 17 May 2013 21:39:36 10,401 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You know, it's a real shame because I think Miyamoto is an incredible designer (obviously).

It's almost unbelievable that they didn't foresee poor sales without quality software.
  • ecureuil 17 May 2013 21:54:59 76,530 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think it would have struggled anyway, being so underpowered. Does anyone really want to be playing Xbox 360-quality games in 2016? The Wii had some good games, and it's not all about graphics, but for some games you need a certain level of power. Many of the really exciting games on Xbox 360, stuff like Bioshock, GTAIV, Fallout, Skyrim, the sort that put you in a world you'll never forget, these were lost on the Wii, and Wii U is going to have the exact same problem. I understand why Nintendo doesn't want to compete in that arena, but I thought they were making an effort to win back hardcore gamers, which is totally at odds with an underpowered machine. Personally I got sick of the Wii's weak graphics. It's hard to go from playing Red Dead Redemption on the 360, to something that looks like a PS2 game. That's not to say Wii didn't have some nice looking games, but you'd never get Rapture.

The most bizarre thing to me is that they seem to have misunderstood what made the Wii popular - the controller. Or maybe they realised this and thought the tablet controller would have the same appeal. I pre-ordered a Wii and got it on day one, I couldn't wait to try that controller. Wii U? Well I've got an iPad, an iPhone, a touch screen DS, Vita.. the Wii U controller is quite nice but not I-must-have-this-right-now nice. It's just odd that they thought the controller would be so appealing that people wouldn't care about how poor the system internals were. Arrogance from the Wii maybe?
  • Baihu1983 17 May 2013 22:01:08 3,312 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:

No-one seemed to be enthused about it from day one. The E3 thread last year was full of derision towards it.

It'll probably linger for a couple of years then I think Nintendo will put a bullet in it.
    Probably because Nintendo did such a piss poor job selling it. The 2 E3 shows they used for it were piss poor. The first, People didn't know if it was a new console or an add on controller and the whole thing has just felt like Nintendo didn't expect to have to launch a new console this soon. They had nothing to show and wasted the first 20 minutes of the show doing dull crap with Zelda music.
  • Deleted user 17 May 2013 22:09:15
    Progguitarist wrote:

The press seemed pretty keen on it. The problem is with nintendo is that they rile up so much trolling. Go on to gaf and every other thread is a ninty doomed thread, yet when there is a direct the opposite happens and the hype is fucking crazy.

Really is bizarre, so any internet community opinion on nintendo i take with a grain of salt.
  • Deleted user 17 May 2013 22:12:22
    Ryze wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    Nintendo Wii U - Death by Apathy
    There's also today's announcement that Sega is handing publishing duties of Sonic the Hedgehog over to Nintendo, like Sonic the Hedgehog still means something to the games player. It doesn't, it's a tired old mascot who jumped the shark when Sega painted him black and gave him a gun.
    Spot on there. That was exactly when I stopped bothering with expecting any magic from Sonic - when they made a shit game about the black one with guns.

I think anyone wanting nintendo to sell up shop and go third party, need to look at sega and look what happened to them. Anyone who think nintendo would put out the same output on third party console is crazy. Not only were there a decline in the amount of titles from sega, but the quality of them as well.

I know there were serious financial issues at sega, but i think it would be sad to see nintendo go the same way.
  • RyanDS 17 May 2013 22:39:31 9,067 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So, I missed the conference etc.

So what were the highlights?
  • RyanDS 17 May 2013 22:39:32 9,067 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So, I missed the conference etc.

So what were the highlights?
  • Youthist 17 May 2013 22:54:34 10,010 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nintendo announced some plans for its console. Rabidness from 'both sides' ensued. Was awesome.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• neilka 17 May 2013 22:58:21 15,678 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They announced that they were going to release what they're tentatively referring to as a "video game" and then Iwata was carried shoulder-high from the room while the Halellujah Chorus played.
  • Youthist 17 May 2013 23:02:35 10,010 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am no expert in all of this stuff, but no good compelling video games released since launch day 6 months ago is definitely hindering uptake. IMHO. It just seems like a flawed strategy.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Raiko101 17 May 2013 23:05:26 6,089 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Today's Nintendo Direct was probably the poorest of the lot, so far, but it's nice to actually have a few more dates for the diary. I'm looking forward to Game & Wario and The Wonderful 101.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Dirtbox 17 May 2013 23:07:09 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Street Fighter U revealed

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Page

of 1348 First / Last