Wii U Page 673

• Page

of 1354 First / Last

• Blerk Moderator 17 May 2013 16:00:03 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    oconnomiyaki wrote:
    Apparently, the next three Sonic games are exclusive. It strikes me as a bad move for Sega and a pointless one for Nintendo.
    Sonic games are obviously selling next-to-no copies on other platforms either.

Sega and Nintendo sure seem like best buddies of late, don't they?
  • Armoured_Bear 17 May 2013 16:01:45 10,506 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    oconnomiyaki wrote:
    Apparently, the next three Sonic games are exclusive. It strikes me as a bad move for Sega and a pointless one for Nintendo.
    The Sonic games sell loads more on Nintendo platforms.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• neilka 17 May 2013 16:02:42 15,824 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    By now Sega must have some kind of automated system that shits out a new Sonic game every couple of years to the delight of nobody.
  • Sid-Nice 17 May 2013 16:03:42 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Sonic and Mario games have sold well on the Wii (the casual market) granted; but I can't see the Mario and Sonic franchise being a system seller on the Wii U as the casuals don't even know the console exists.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Aretak 17 May 2013 16:07:21 10,350 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    oconnomiyaki wrote:
    I doubt that Sega will only be releasing Sonic games on the Wii U/3DS. The Wii had exclusive Sonic games too, but that didn't stop them releasing different Sonic games on other platforms alongside them.
  • oconnomiyaki 17 May 2013 16:10:18 245 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    The Sonic and Mario games have sold well on the Wii (the casual market) granted; but I can't see the Mario and Sonic franchise being a system seller on the Wii U as the casuals don't even know the console exists.

It's not 1992 and no one will buy a console for Sonic. I say this as a fan. People who own the machine will, but it's not a system seller. Given the this deal want done out of friendship, I can't imagine it's a smart move for either.
  • Widge Moderator 17 May 2013 16:10:48 13,402 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    oconnomiyaki wrote:
    I doubt that Sega will only be releasing Sonic games on the Wii U/3DS. The Wii had exclusive Sonic games too, but that didn't stop them releasing different Sonic games on other platforms alongside them.
    And didn't Sega do rather well with Nintendo last time round? They hogged the charts for a considerable amount of time I seem to remember.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• addyb 17 May 2013 16:13:01 1,045 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well at least I have 3 games on my list with game & wario, wonderful 101 & pikmin 3.

Providing they are actually worthwhile :)

Still got plenty elsewhere until they arrive. Not touched BioShock infinite on my PC yet but have just sunk an hour into FC3: Blood Dragon which is pretty sweet. :)
  • oconnomiyaki 17 May 2013 16:17:20 245 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    And didn't Sega do rather well with Nintendo last time round? They hogged the charts for a considerable amount of time I seem to remember.
    There is a significant gap between the install base of the Wii and its successor. I still contend that as good as the Sonic games have been as late, they won't shift the Wii U alone. Sega is merely limiting their audience.
  • mal 17 May 2013 16:19:20 22,414 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    oconnomiyaki wrote:
    Sid-Nice wrote:

It's not 1992 and no one will buy a console for Sonic. I say this as a fan. People who own the machine will, but it's not a system seller. Given the this deal want done out of friendship, I can't imagine it's a smart move for either.
    WILL BUY CONSOLE FOR F-ZERO. SORT IT, NINTENDO.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Widge Moderator 17 May 2013 16:19:57 13,402 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oconnomiyaki wrote:
    Widge wrote:
    There is a significant gap between the install base of the Wii and its successor. I still contend that as good as the Sonic games have been as late, they won't shift the Wii U alone. Sega is merely limiting their audience.
    Or, you could see it as going for a platform where they can maximise the available audience, rather than getting drowned out in the swell of Call Of Duty, Battlefield and whatever else the major studios are parping at the time.

_ _ _

• ecureuil 17 May 2013 16:20:26 76,657 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    By now Sega must have some kind of automated system that shits out a new Sonic game every couple of years to the delight of nobody.
    Generations was actually pretty decent. But you never get the impression they're going to turn out a classic.
  • thegofp 17 May 2013 16:25:18 169 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    neilka wrote:
    Generations was actually pretty decent. But you never get the impression they're going to turn out a classic.
    Colors was also good (preferred the DS version personally) and Racing Transformed was great, picked up a 9/10 from Eurogamer. Sonic's been solid for 4 years now.

One would assume Sega's seen that the sales on Nintendo platforms are higher than others (I know Generations was underwhelming), Nintendo probably subsidized development or w/e and that's how the exclusivity deal came into place. Sega probably didn't just say "bro, screw profits, we're gonna back you! *fist bump*".
  • Aretak 17 May 2013 16:26:20 10,350 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Secret Rings did really well, despite being a bit shit. Being released during the peak of the Wii's boom period probably helped. Black Knight was something of a bomb though I believe, which is why they gave up on that spin-off and made Colours instead (which also did well). Mario & Sonic was a massive hit too of course, and I believe the Sonic racing stuff has done far better on Nintendo's platforms than the others.
  • Blerk Moderator 17 May 2013 16:27:15 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nintendo Wii U - Death by Apathy
  • oconnomiyaki 17 May 2013 16:27:37 245 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Or, you could see it as going for a platform where they can maximise the available audience, rather than getting drowned out in the swell of Call Of Duty, Battlefield and whatever else the major studios are parping at the time.
    Well they'll get a couple of million in sales simply by virtue of the lack of compelling software. But I was under the impression that Sonic games -- even the gash ones -- sold comparatively well regardless of platform. I think Generations did roughly the same as Colours.
  • LeoliansBro 17 May 2013 16:28:52 43,644 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But EA has pulled out of the Wii U because sales of both hardware and software are dreadful. We're not officially allowed to report sales numbers from Chart Track in the UK but everyone in the publishing business can see them quite clearly. There's no need for pretence. When you can get to number one in the Wii U charts by selling less than 1000 units it's no longer a tragedy, it's an actual farce.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Blerk Moderator 17 May 2013 16:30:04 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That bit in particular made me :eek:
  • thegofp 17 May 2013 16:30:53 169 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    oconnomiyaki wrote:
    I think Generations did roughly the same as Colours.
    Generations 1.8mil
    Colors 2.1mil
    London 2012 Olympic Games 3.2mil
  • Widge Moderator 17 May 2013 16:31:28 13,402 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The weird thing about that article is how it talks about Sony and Microsoft being too late with their machines.

Almost as if the writer has just gone "FUCK IT. It's just tablets and facebook then."

_ _ _

• Aretak 17 May 2013 16:31:31 10,350 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    But EA has pulled out of the Wii U because sales of both hardware and software are dreadful. We're not officially allowed to report sales numbers from Chart Track in the UK but everyone in the publishing business can see them quite clearly. There's no need for pretence. When you can get to number one in the Wii U charts by selling less than 1000 units it's no longer a tragedy, it's an actual farce.
    Christ, I didn't realise thing were quite that bad. Less than a thousand copies to secure the top spot in the chart. It's no wonder EA pulled out, given that their ports never even made it to #1 on the Wii U chart, then dropped out entirely. They must have sold in the low hundreds.
  • oconnomiyaki 17 May 2013 16:33:04 245 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    thegofp wrote:
    oconnomiyaki wrote:
    Generations 1.8mil
    Colors 2.1mil
    Does that include the DS versions?
  • LeoliansBro 17 May 2013 16:34:30 43,644 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    The weird thing about that article is how it talks about Sony and Microsoft being too late with their machines.

Almost as if the writer has just gone "FUCK IT. It's just tablets and facebook then."
    I think he's read the WiiU as a bellweather for the console industry. I don't think it's that simple (to be fair and honest he does note that MS and Sony still have a shot at E3) but it's a justifiable conclusion.

• thegofp 17 May 2013 16:37:41 169 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    oconnomiyaki wrote:
    thegofp wrote:
    oconnomiyaki wrote:
    Generations 1.8mil
    Colors 2.1mil
    Does that include the DS versions?
    Assuming so, these are Sega's financial report numbers, I assume they just add them all together. The DS Sonic & Mario games are actually kinda fun minigame collections. Not fun enough to buy, but not inherently bad.

EDIT: Yeah it's all platforms combined. You can actually check out detailed breakdowns of all of Sega's sales on their website, but it's hard to navigate. Racing Transformed did 1.4milish. Looks like the 3DS version of Generations did well.

Edited by thegofp at 16:38:21 17-05-2013

Edited by thegofp at 16:41:09 17-05-2013
  • beastmaster 17 May 2013 16:39:31 11,293 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    From what I've seen/heard though NFS was a superb conversion and perhaps the best of the lot. So, it can perform extremely well. But nobody bought it. Probably because it was stupidly expensive and done well enough on the other platforms.

I don't think anyone here has a Wii U as the only console. So why would you really bother with any multi-platform game? Yes, I know Rayman and Deus Ex are meant to be 'better' but 50 (or whatever they charge) better? Unless you haven't got it already I suppose.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• LeoliansBro 17 May 2013 16:41:44 43,644 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's dead. Of COURSE Nintendo can't say as much at the moment, but it is dead.

• nickthegun 17 May 2013 16:42:21 59,345 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I think he's read the WiiU as a bellend for the console industry.
    huuuurrrrr

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• thegofp 17 May 2013 16:42:21 169 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    I don't think anyone here has a Wii U as the only console. So why would you really bother with any multi-platform game? Yes, I know Rayman and Deus Ex are meant to be 'better' but 50 (or whatever they charge) better? Unless you haven't got it already I suppose.
    I'd argue Racing Transformed was better on Wii U than any other console, they put a lot of effort into the extra modes + alternate control schemes... but today basically proved Sega favours Nintendo anyway so that's not a surprise or a usual thing.
  • the_dudefather 17 May 2013 16:44:09 9,264 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• nickthegun 17 May 2013 16:44:21 59,345 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Somebody better brace ecosse. The writer of that article used the phrase 'fisher price tablet'.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Page

of 1354 First / Last