Wii U Page 631

• Page

of 1358 First / Last

• Sid-Nice 10 May 2013 17:06:55 15,852 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I still think if Nintendo manage to sell 25 million Wii U units; then I would class that as a success, when in my opinion the top selling console/s during the next generation will be lucky to ship 50 million units. You will always have dedicated console and PC gamers; but numbers will fall next generation as the casual gamers are getting their fix on smart phones.

NNID Sid-Nice

• YenRug 10 May 2013 17:49:26 2,128 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @addyb I actually think it looks bloody awful, but I'm getting one. Then again, the reason I'm getting one is that I found it listed at 129.99 (-6.40 for Rewardz) on Zavvi, it's been almost a month and they've not yet cancelled my order as a mistake, so it's a bit of a bargain and will net me an extra game for free on top.
  • YenRug 10 May 2013 17:51:02 2,128 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Seems like the system update causing a speed increase may just be more than rumour, if the reported experience here is to be believed:

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/rumor-latest-wii-u-update-increased-cpu-and-gpu-speeds-significantly
  • Raiko101 10 May 2013 18:02:31 6,219 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wasn't aware of any noticable performance increases with any particular games. I've still to play through Arkham Asylum, but everything else seemed to run nice and smoothly anyway.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• f311 10 May 2013 18:06:47 248 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    YenRug wrote:
    @addyb I actually think it looks bloody awful, but I'm getting one. Then again, the reason I'm getting one is that I found it listed at 129.99 (-6.40 for Rewardz) on Zavvi, it's been almost a month and they've not yet cancelled my order as a mistake, so it's a bit of a bargain and will net me an extra game for free on top.
    Where on earth on their site did you find it for 129.99?
  • nickthegun 10 May 2013 18:12:13 59,516 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    YenRug wrote:
    Seems like the system update causing a speed increase may just be more than rumour, if the reported experience here is to be believed:

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/rumor-latest-wii-u-update-increased-cpu-and-gpu-speeds-significantly
    Thats a report on a report thats reporting the same TVTropes troll as the last one. Same source, just filtered through a couple of websites and the lack of tearing could be down to anything, even the guy being mad.

Christ, journalism nowadays.

Edited by nickthegun at 18:13:23 10-05-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• DFawkes 10 May 2013 18:15:35 22,814 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As soon as one gaming site posts it, the rest do it too since they can then go "it wasn't us, it was THEM! They didn't check their sources!", though I do find it shocking that one has grown legs given how immensely improbable it is.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• addyb 10 May 2013 18:26:16 1,046 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @YenRug

That's a great price. I guess you won't notice the decal when your playing on it. Just buy a carry case and shut your eyes before you close the lid and place it in the case. :)
  • Lukus 10 May 2013 18:30:30 19,050 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vizzini, please may I see a picture of your wife, please, thanks.

Paintings & Photographs

• Tekkirai 10 May 2013 18:35:28 104 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Yes. that's not creepy at all. I'm sure he'll do it, just for you.
  • Lukus 10 May 2013 18:39:09 19,050 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for stopping by.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 10 May 2013 18:41:54
    Lukus wrote:
  • Lukus 10 May 2013 18:48:20 19,050 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Paintings & Photographs

• richardiox 10 May 2013 18:54:30 5,583 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://www.dailytech.com/IBM+Shrinks+CellBE+to+45nm+Process/article10610.htm
  • YenRug 10 May 2013 18:54:49 2,128 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    f311 wrote:
    YenRug wrote:
    Where on earth on their site did you find it for 129.99?
    I was looking for a deal on a 3DS XL, I'd been looking at "Like New" ones on Amazon Warehouse, and it happened to be around the day Nintendo confirmed the Animal Crossing edition was being released in Europe; I wandered on to Zavvi, just to see what their prices were like, and the AC one was just sat there priced at 129.99. I thought it had to be a mistake, but thought "what the hell", deciding to just take the chance on it. I did check HUKD, to see if they'd picked up on it, and decided not to spread the news around, knowing HUKD they'd order hundreds of them and every order would end up getting cancelled.

Since then, the price has been up as high as 249.99, but last time I checked it was 189.99. So far, no e-mails from Zavvi saying there's been a mistake; either it was a valid price, for some bizarre reason, or they bit the bullet on the few orders that they did take.

Edited by YenRug at 19:01:55 10-05-2013
  • YenRug 10 May 2013 19:01:06 2,128 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    YenRug wrote:

Thats a report on a report thats reporting the same TVTropes troll as the last one. Same source, just filtered through a couple of websites and the lack of tearing could be down to anything, even the guy being mad.

Christ, journalism nowadays.
    They at least followed it back to the source and quoted that one, directly, and do say that it's completely unproven; it's only then that they go on to state that their own experience provides some possible proof that the claim is genuine, as well as speculation on what might be the causes. I'm not going to claim anything in either direction, I'm kind of "blind" to fps variations/slowdowns (unless it gets below 10 and turns into a slideshow), so I probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.
  • YenRug 10 May 2013 19:03:40 2,128 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Is that a really bad photo of Catherine Tate, or one of those "Real Dolls"?
  • Pinky_Floyd 10 May 2013 20:53:30 7,701 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Base have shipped my Wii U. Must have got the last cheapy.
  • neilka 10 May 2013 21:13:46 15,861 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Hold onto your hat for a non-stop journey into entertainment!

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Deckard1 10 May 2013 21:16:51 27,766 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago

Enjjjjrrrrrr frrrrrkrrrrnnnn trrrsssss krrrdddddzzzzz yrrrrrrrr frrrkrrrnnnnnn nrrrrrnnnrrrrnce

Hush you ponce

• Pinky_Floyd 10 May 2013 21:26:42 7,701 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @neilka I have a pc for that :)
  • Armoured_Bear 10 May 2013 23:49:40 10,599 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    YenRug wrote:

It's horseshit, if there was an increase it would be by a maximum of 20% or so.
    1.24 to over 3 GHz is complete and utter bullocks.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• YenRug 11 May 2013 00:18:45 2,128 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    YenRug wrote:

It's horseshit, if there was an increase it would be by a maximum of 20% or so.
    1.24 to over 3 GHz is complete and utter bullocks.
    Did you actually read what Gamnesia wrote? It would help if you did, rather than reeling off the details from the TVTropes post, again, they question the statements made but state they're sure that there have been some improvements, based on their own experiences.
  • DFawkes 11 May 2013 00:43:02 22,814 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't say I've personally noticed any performance changes outside OS operation, but that article does makes a good point - it is possible they could've reduced the resources used by the OS and allowed games to use them.

Don't get me wrong, I very much doubt it. It's more plausible than more than doubled speed though :p

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Pinky_Floyd 11 May 2013 00:43:07 7,701 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wonder if base.com will send me the new superfast wii u?
  • Sid-Nice 11 May 2013 00:48:06 15,852 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Digital Foundry are looking into the Wii U update and an article will be forthcoming in the next few days; sources close to Nintendo are claiming that "The 3.4GHz CPU clock speed is only available to Wii U owner who have completed NSMBU 100%."

NNID Sid-Nice

• mal 11 May 2013 00:52:38 22,470 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, but they also say:
    "That being said, it could be possible the CPU itself was being completely handcuffed by the Operating System, meaning the 1.24 GHz was what the CPU was outputting after the OS already had its way."

That's batshit! No one who's ever used a computer before talks about system components eating up GHz, because it fundamentally doesn't work like that.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 11 May 2013 00:55:30
    @YenRug

Like most people, I would suggest an overclock from 1.24GHz tri core to 3.0Ghz tricore is false, unless the chip was designed that way and Nintendo hedged their bets hoping for developer to be satisfied with a tricore 1.24Ghz CPU, but used a downclocked 3.0Ghz edition for the first year of production in case they needed to offer more performance and forego later year's production cost savings of using actual 1.24ghz editions.

What is possible but still a little unlikely, is that Nintendo have the option to either run the CPU as a single core 3.0Ghz chip (disabling 2 cores and overclocking the remaining one) or as a tricore at 1.24Ghz. For poorly optimised multicore applications a 40% efficient single core running at 3.0Ghz would still offer more performance than a tri core have one core 40% and the other two running at 10-20% efficient. It would be the difference of getting ~1.0GHz total workdone from 3 cores, compared to getting 1.2Ghz total workdone from just 1 core.
  • Bremenacht 11 May 2013 01:29:34 17,843 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll have a quiet lol if it turns out to be a simple typo.

What's also 'possible but a little unlikely' is that Nintendo will create a time machine and ship 3Ghz Wii Us from the future to replace current Wii Us. It'll contain 2 720s taped together and shrunk to Wii U size, using Sony Shrinkotronic CellBS technology.
  • Aretak 11 May 2013 03:32:35 10,351 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The basic model is now down to 137.99 at Scan as a today only offer. Another 11 for postage though if you haven't had your account flagged for permanent free shipping via one of the various methods they've offered over the years.

Almost tempted at that price, but I know it'd just end up gathering dust with all my other silly impulse purchases.
  • Page

of 1358 First / Last