Wii U Page 618

• Page

of 1345 First / Last

• Armoured_Bear 7 May 2013 14:07:51 10,258 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Mr. D Fawkes, is it possible for you to be unkind ... ever?

You seem to be too nice about every single thing.

... I vow to make you a tiny little bit angry one day!

*doesn't know how*
    He has the world's biggest collection of voodoo dolls, nickthegun's has a billion needles in it.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Mola_Ram 7 May 2013 14:09:32 6,952 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Poo in his Wii U's disc slot.
    Shouldn't you do something that he will notice though?

(am I doing this right)
  • DFawkes 7 May 2013 14:11:01 22,587 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Would have to be an accurate bit of pooing. Rather impressive, really.

Of course there's stuff I don't like, but I chose not to post about those things separately. I also acknowledge there is a lot of stuff that people don't like about the Wii U, most of which is valid. Whilst, as I've said, I'm really happy with my purchase and what software I have, I'd be surprised if there were many others as there isn't all that much, and there certainly isn't enough to justify it as a second console at this time unless you find Off TV Play genuinely useful (which some people might).

I just hope that people who consider buying a Wii U look at what there is and whether it's really or them, because right now, for a new console owner, it's probably not the best option. Sure, if you absolutely have to have Nintendo first party stuff and the Gamepad functionality, and you're happy that there are few exclusives and a few ports to keep you going for now, then by all means go for it :)

What I wouldn't recommend people do is buy it based on potential. Sure, there might be great first party stuff to come, and for all we know the few things that are announced could be brilliant. At the same time, they could be terrible. They could, for example, get worried and churn out a quick Mario Kart Wii U with tracks that feel rushed and token support for Wii U features. So I think a wait and see attitude is more than reasonable.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• yupyup 7 May 2013 14:11:23 3,679 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Mr. D Fawkes, is it possible for you to be unkind ... ever?

You seem to be too nice about every single thing.

... I vow to make you a tiny little bit angry one day!

*doesn't know how*
    He has the world's biggest collection of voodoo dolls, nickthegun's has a billion needles in it.
    If you're a Wii U owner, you'd better hope you have some time consuming hobbies.

Hands Off Our Penises

• nickthegun 7 May 2013 14:14:55 58,782 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im pleased he chose me, despite having me on "ignore" for as long as hes been flapping his gums about it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Bremenacht 7 May 2013 18:42:23 17,600 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nintendo working on modification to play smartphone games and apps on Wii U.

Is that Ouya stuffed? Depends on licensing, I guess. And another price drop.
  • neilka 7 May 2013 18:51:47 15,632 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
  • Raiko101 7 May 2013 19:06:56 6,055 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Bremenacht This is about as vague as it gets, but Nintendo were showing off something earlier this year that allowed developers working with HTML5 to convert their games to Wii U in a matter of seconds. Of course you'd need to do more than simply port a game over like that if you're wanting it to play well, but it should encourage indie developers to take the plunge if it's quick, painless and cheap.

There are already a number of games announced for the eShop from indie devs, but many of these are actually still in development.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• oconnomiyaki 8 May 2013 02:57:32 245 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I say this without snark or malice: I'm glad I got out when I did. Nothing wrong with the console per se, but the public reaction to it has been terrible. They were already putting the games on clearance here a month after launch, and now they are clearing out the consoles at bargain bin prices. You could pick up a Pro for less than the price of a 12GB PS3. I can't see what Nintendo can do to turn this around.
  • Sid-Nice 8 May 2013 03:30:37 15,852 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    oconnomiyaki wrote: You could pick up a Pro for less than the price of a 12GB PS3.
    That's one hell of an expensive hooker.

The price structure in the UK had the Wii U at an equivalent of $480 at launch; the PS3 12GB Super Slim Book of Spells bundle is retailing at around $294. Oddly enough the PS3 500GB was retailing in Japan for a similar price to the Wii U; yet over here you could pick up the 500GB PS3 for 229.99 while the Wii U had a ridiculous 309.99 price tag.

NNID Sid-Nice

• jimnastics 8 May 2013 07:10:57 248 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    oconnomiyaki wrote:
    I say this without snark or malice: I'm glad I got out when I did. Nothing wrong with the console per se, but the public reaction to it has been terrible. They were already putting the games on clearance here a month after launch, and now they are clearing out the consoles at bargain bin prices. You could pick up a Pro for less than the price of a 12GB PS3. I can't see what Nintendo can do to turn this around.
    They need to pretend the initial launch didn't even happen, and aim for a holiday relaunch this Christmas. Massive price-cut, strong line-up of games (should be in place if e3 rumours are anything to go by) and a decent marketing strategy for once, and I don't see why it can't be turned around.
  • richardiox 8 May 2013 09:35:29 5,535 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jimnastics wrote:
    oconnomiyaki wrote:
    They need to pretend the initial launch didn't even happen, and aim for a holiday relaunch this Christmas. Massive price-cut, strong line-up of games (should be in place if e3 rumours are anything to go by) and a decent marketing strategy for once, and I don't see why it can't be turned around.
    Last Christmas it bombed without any 'next gen' competition. This Christmas if they had a relaunch it would be competing with PS4 and Durango. If anything it will struggle even more regardless of a Zelda Remake and Mario Kart 10.
  • nickthegun 8 May 2013 09:43:45 58,782 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mario Kart is one of the few titles that can sell a console. I reckon even up against the new two, if they have an attractively priced MK bundle this christmas it will sell more than it did at launch.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 8 May 2013 09:47:19
    Finished Zombi U, what a game.
  • Armoured_Bear 8 May 2013 09:50:37 10,258 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    jimnastics wrote:
    oconnomiyaki wrote:
    Last Christmas it bombed without any 'next gen' competition. This Christmas if they had a relaunch it would be competing with PS4 and Durango. If anything it will struggle even more regardless of a Zelda Remake and Mario Kart 10.
    We have no idea on prices of the other 2 consoles nor the software lineup for any of them being sure of one "struggling" seems a bit stupid.
    There could easily be a 100-150 quid price difference for a start, Wii didn't exactly struggle against "next gen" competition because it simply had games that a huge number of people wanted to play, that may or not happen again.
    BTW Mario Kart Wii sold over 35 million copies, well more than any Call of Duty game across multiple platforms so I wouldn't be so quick to assume.

• Armoured_Bear 8 May 2013 09:51:05 10,258 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    efebayor wrote:
    Well done, it kicked my arse :-(

• LeoliansBro 8 May 2013 09:53:38 43,222 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    BTW Mario Kart Wii sold over 35 million copies, well more than any Call of Duty game across multiple platforms so I wouldn't be so quick to assume.
    Very large install base (which the WiiU doesn't have) and very little competition in games on that platform (which the WiiU does have).

MarioKart was the last word in console racing. On the N64.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• addyb 8 May 2013 10:01:56 1,020 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    All I need is MarioKart. Give me that and my online gaming is complete.

MK (3DS/Wii U)
    Left4dead (PC)
    Everybody's Golf (ps3/vita)

Don't go online half as much as I used to though. :(
  • JuanKerr 8 May 2013 10:04:41 36,192 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Didn't you play the odd game of Double Dash too?
  • DFawkes 8 May 2013 10:04:46 22,587 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I certainly agree with nick (now there's something I never thought I'd type in this thread) that a well priced Mario Kart bundle this Christmas would most likely sell a good few consoles. It's generally a strong seller. Obviously the install base is small right now but it's a popular series so I'd probably be profitable. If they back that up with other games and actually bothering to market the thing, they could do well this Christmas.

A lot of ifs there though. It's all speculation really, until E3.

• LeoliansBro 8 May 2013 10:06:55 43,222 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Didn't you play the odd game of Double Dash too?
    Double Dash is my favourite of the series, and I love MK, you know that. I'm just saying its star has dimmed a little of late, and that its greatest incarnation was on the N64.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 8 May 2013 10:08:41 58,782 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sales is not a great thing to invoke since NSMB is the best selling game on the Wii, iirc.

He totally called it

• JuanKerr 8 May 2013 10:09:16 36,192 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    its star has dimmed a little of late
    I see what you did there.
  • DFawkes 8 May 2013 10:13:17 22,587 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I never had much love for Mario Kart N64. I was always more of a Diddy Kong Racing fan. Double Dash was probably my favourite as I loved the co-op and the switching mechanic at least tried to change the game up a bit.

• Deleted user 8 May 2013 10:13:55
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    efebayor wrote:
    Well done, it kicked my arse :-(
    I had to restart, used the guns I had more often.
    It's awesome.
  • Chopsen 8 May 2013 10:15:14 15,709 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I never had much love for Mario Kart N64. I was always more of a Diddy Kong Racing fan.
    Heh, glad I'm not the only one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC3hRVz36Yc
  • addyb 8 May 2013 10:22:27 1,020 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Besides the snes version, MK DS has been my favourite overall. Purely based on the fact a group of us used to have an "MK night" once/twice a week

4 players
    4 DS's
    20 race custom GP with cpu (3-4 of these a night)

Throw in some beers and food. Absolutely brilliant fun and quite often went right to the wire, and this went on for 2 years. Shame it ended when 2 of the group moved away. :(

I've probably played DD the least but recently I've been having a bit of a GameCube fix so might try and find another cheap copy of it.

Edited by addyb at 10:23:29 08-05-2013
  • JiveHound 8 May 2013 10:23:02 2,326 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Mario Kart 7 is pretty damn good so far yet I don't know if I need another iteration this year.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Deleted user 8 May 2013 13:07:18
    EA says the WiiU is a pile of shit:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/08/ea-frostbite-nintendo-wii-u/
  • DFawkes 8 May 2013 13:15:30 22,587 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You seem to have paraphrased that fairly significantly, Aargh :p

Don't get me wrong, it's an article that has fairly negative implications, including pretty much guaranteeing all Frostbite 3 games never see the light of day on Wii U. But did anyone really think otherwise?

Yes, it's looking like they had technical issues they either didn't want to or could not overcome, but it was already fairly clear the business decision has already been made. The last indicator will be whether they bother with FIFA or not. At this stage, I don't think they will. For now, at least.

• Page

of 1345 First / Last