Wii U Page 615

• Page

of 1369 First / Last

• scoobysi 4 May 2013 20:00:54 904 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    It's fucked. The launch line ups for the other consoles already look impressive. I just can't see Nintendo coming up with a counter punch to the GTA, battlefield, Fifa onslaught.
    Nintendo's games are the counter punch to those.
  • Progguitarist 4 May 2013 20:19:23 10,479 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    scoobysi wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:
    It's fucked. The launch line ups for the other consoles already look impressive. I just can't see Nintendo coming up with a counter punch to the GTA, battlefield, Fifa onslaught.
    Nintendo's games are the counter punch to those.
    I don't think they are enough. Still, I'll enjoy the inevitable metroid game when it arrives.
  • nickthegun 4 May 2013 20:22:09 60,415 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, its more a counter

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 4 May 2013 20:27:04
    aeschylus wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    My WiiU has arrived this morning and I feel they need to do a revised model that comes with newer firmware to save their reputation.

The network stack in the WiiU is no better than the one I fought with in the Nintendo DS phat and Wii. It can't setup a connection to a hidden network without needing more info than setting up an old Dos PC mouse driver on a parallel port. If they just said from the start that it is networking PS2 adapter style then it would have taken 2minutes for me, instead of an hour trying two routers, a guest wireless setup and countless settings other things because the error reporting is like it is from cbbc.

I set the update going at 12:12 and it is still only a thrid of the way through. No chance of trying the usb HDD option, as it needs the new firmware to use the drive. I do love Nintendo games, but they really are useless at console operating systems.

Oh well, maybe I get to game later today :(
    I am sure there will be a reason, but would it not of made sense just to "unhide" your network, connect to it then rehide it?
    I instead tried to route it through my treadmills dedicated 802.11b wifi router that is visible with no dice on trying to authenticate, and even enabled the game day guest wifi ssid and still no joy on the connecting to that. It just unable to negotiate an ip address, or work out the gateway or dns ips but instead reported the error as couldn't connect. So after an hour of thinking the device was faulty I instead manually plug all the settings in manually and it instantly jumped into life.

Wifi is old established technology and has been implemented well in mobile phones for many years since android, the Vita's network stack settings weren't perfect at launch firmware, but they are lightyears ahead of the wiiu. It is completely unacceptable to expect to change the router to accommodate a supposedly consumer ready network device. Fortunately the new Smb U has been entertaining for the better half, so it is still a win in the end. But far from a smooth install.
  • Raiko101 4 May 2013 20:53:21 6,409 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I had that problem. Apparently the thing hates the Virgin Media Hub, which is strange, as the 3DS gets on with it fine. Still, it only took me a few minutes to figure out and I was away.

I imagine there'll be a number of folk though who have no idea whats going on and how to address it.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• andy25801 4 May 2013 21:16:33 67 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @scoobysi I dont think the NextBox/PS4 brigade will be particularly interested in Mario games.
  • Donk10 5 May 2013 08:19:05 102 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I didn't buy a wii u to play the same games that I would on a ps4, I've had it for the Mario's, zelda's, Nintendo lands and the other non adult games that sometimes feel like a breath of fresh air, the sort I can play with my Missus and have a laugh with coz she can't play cod or battlefield lol
  • Cappy 5 May 2013 10:02:42 12,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, Nintendo fans.

Adding that school holidays just started flavour to threads, all year around.
  • Deleted user 5 May 2013 11:43:18
    Progguitarist wrote:
    @vizzini Prepare for crushing disappointment.
    Mission complete!

I really don't want to be too harsh on my recent investment, as I knew I was buying it mainly for the games to come, and for the better half to enjoy SMBu now, but it is almost impossible to overlook that Nintendo seem to have done nothing of note with the wii store library since Mario Galaxy, when I last looked. Saying the eShop is shit is a big compliment imo, as by some strange irony it is worse than the wii store for content and value for money. I'd love to meet the person that had the nerve to limit shit like (spot the difference) Zombie U demos to 30 uses. Have they not looked at the competition (including the Vita)?

I can only reason that they've spent so much money and effort on all the ill advised mii/wii channel infrastructure, and now no one is critically assessing the output for breadth and quality of games any more.

I think if you took almost any core consumer at the moment and gave them carte blanche to make changes in Nintendo, I suspect most would march into Miyamoto's office and kick his tea table towards his wall like WE6 Batistuta Exocet missile; not just up end the table.

I am completely bemused by the inability to buy Pilotwings64 from the Wii channel? They could have the game published by the end of the day if they just pulled their finger out.

I sadly think Iwata and Miyamoto have fallen foul of the Peter Principle.
  • JiveHound 5 May 2013 12:50:11 2,536 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    How many times do people really play demos? Having a limit is weird but demo's are pretty disposable.

Getting incensed by that sort of thing seems a bit reactionary for the sake of it.

The biggest issue for me is the fact that the games that Nintendo create were mooted for the launch window yet are only now starting to get dates.

What's so contradictory here is Nintendo's attempt at transparency with their Directs jars against their tardiness over information regarding stuff you'll actually be able to use.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• JinTypeNoir 6 May 2013 02:07:29 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The lack of information signals that there is definitely something going on, but if that something is that they are going to attempt to do a conference like they did for the 3DS where they announced a great many exciting things for the system, then wouldn't it be better to let that information out naturally and let the system build a better reputation?

That or they are bluffing. But it would be very strange to tell you your stockholders your aiming for a boom-pow second half and only deliver a dull thud.

Anyway, in the words of this great musician...
  • Telepathic.Geometry 6 May 2013 02:56:09 11,399 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Wii U game pricing structure in Japan is fucking bizarre. I was in a Geo recently looking to see what kind of games had built up on the system in case I might take the plunge, and the divide between downloadable games and physical game pricing is crazy.

The downloadable game is always significantly more expensive than the physical copy, and in one or two cases, the DL copy was actually twice as expensive.

I suppose Ninty want to keep the stores happy by not undercutting them too much, but frankly anyone who gets the DL copy from the stores is getting raped. Dunno if Nintendo set those prices at retail, or if the retail stores themselves set that price, but it's demented!

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• thegofp 6 May 2013 04:19:54 169 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Launch line ups like what? Considering it's very likely Europe is getting the next-gen next year, half the titles (the good ones) are going to be cross-gen PS3/360 titles that have been out for months as it is. Aka, GTA, Battlefield, FIFA, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs...

It'll come down to the original titles, of which there's little.
  • Mola_Ram 6 May 2013 05:37:31 7,652 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    The Wii U game pricing structure in Japan is fucking bizarre. I was in a Geo recently looking to see what kind of games had built up on the system in case I might take the plunge, and the divide between downloadable games and physical game pricing is crazy.

The downloadable game is always significantly more expensive than the physical copy, and in one or two cases, the DL copy was actually twice as expensive.

I suppose Ninty want to keep the stores happy by not undercutting them too much, but frankly anyone who gets the DL copy from the stores is getting raped. Dunno if Nintendo set those prices at retail, or if the retail stores themselves set that price, but it's demented!
    It's the same on the 3DS, at least in my experience. Even the games that came out in 2011 are still a cool $69.95 on the eShop. If there's ever a sale on I haven't seen it.

Compare that to the $30 I just paid for a physical copy of RE: Revelations. Absolute insanity.
  • JinTypeNoir 6 May 2013 06:04:13 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Recently the Japanese 3DS has had a number of games go down in price. Blaz Blue Continuum Shift II came out recently at 2500 yen, Mercenaries went way down in price, Layton Plus, a download exclusive enhanced version of Miracle Mask, was 2500 and so on. I don't think it would be healthy for the market for a newly released game to try and compete with average shop prices -- as the DS showed a new price trend in price variance, where titles would be overlooked, go down, become famous, go up, become rare and go further up, be republished and go back down again, and so on. But I do think publishers should try to release budget versions after their sales have dried up at retail -- if their sales dry up at retail, (for instance, Namco would be insane to start making budget versions of their many, many, many long-selling games 6 or 9 months after release when they have no need to).

But part of the problem with the Wii U prices is that the Wii U market for third parties isn't healthy at all, whereas third parties are raking in the cash on the 3DS across the board and have enough wiggle room to try a lot of of different approaches.

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 06:08:01 06-05-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 6 May 2013 07:32:20 11,332 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:
    @vizzini Prepare for crushing disappointment.
    Mission complete!

I really don't want to be too harsh on my recent investment, as I knew I was buying it mainly for the games to come, and for the better half to enjoy SMBu now, but it is almost impossible to overlook that Nintendo seem to have done nothing of note with the wii store library since Mario Galaxy, when I last looked. Saying the eShop is shit is a big compliment imo, as by some strange irony it is worse than the wii store for content and value for money. I'd love to meet the person that had the nerve to limit shit like (spot the difference) Zombie U demos to 30 uses. Have they not looked at the competition (including the Vita)?

I can only reason that they've spent so much money and effort on all the ill advised mii/wii channel infrastructure, and now no one is critically assessing the output for breadth and quality of games any more.

I think if you took almost any core consumer at the moment and gave them carte blanche to make changes in Nintendo, I suspect most would march into Miyamoto's office and kick his tea table towards his wall like WE6 Batistuta Exocet missile; not just up end the table.

I am completely bemused by the inability to buy Pilotwings64 from the Wii channel? They could have the game published by the end of the day if they just pulled their finger out.

I sadly think Iwata and Miyamoto have fallen foul of the Peter Principle.
    The demo limit is set by the Publisher not Nintendo and who seriously plays a demo more than 30 times?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• King_Edward 6 May 2013 09:15:06 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think I played the Kula World demo more times than I've brushed my teeth.
  • Mola_Ram 6 May 2013 09:16:23 7,652 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So you've played it twice?
  • Raiko101 6 May 2013 09:20:51 6,409 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I remember the Kula World demo. I played it a lot too. Perhaps not 30 times, but I can see why it probably didn't sell all that well.

Edit - That's not meant to be a dig at Kula World. I loved it!

Edited by Raiko101 at 09:21:14 06-05-2013

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• King_Edward 6 May 2013 09:24:29 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Raiko101

Yeah. I never bought Kula World either. The demo was actually too good.
  • Progguitarist 6 May 2013 09:59:05 10,479 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear It's still fucking stupid.
  • JiveHound 6 May 2013 10:05:05 2,536 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anyone else having trouble with the Netflix app?

Hasn't worked for a couple of days now, just goes to a black screen. Good job I just got a PS3 I guess.

• Cappy 6 May 2013 10:20:55 12,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The demo limit is set by the Publisher not Nintendo and who seriously plays a demo more than 30 times?
    Isn't thirty plays the maximum amount?

Okay riddle me this, who put the system in place which specifies a limit in the first place? If a publisher wanted to allow more than thirty plays, would Nintendo let them?

Children tend to replay demos a lot, the format suits them, I must have played the Fat Princess demo at least thirty times myself.
  • Progguitarist 6 May 2013 10:35:18 10,479 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @JiveHound I can never get it to work on my TV. Works on the gamepad perfectly though.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 May 2013 10:40:20 11,332 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear It's still fucking stupid.
    I'm not denying that it's daft, just wondering why anyone cares.
    If you're playing a demo more than 30 times it's not being used as a demo but as a free game which isn't the intention.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Telepathic.Geometry 6 May 2013 11:09:30 11,399 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It makes sense to stop people from playing the demo too much IMO, as maybe they're getting their fix from the demo alone. But I'd say 10 is more than enough if you're of that mindset...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Tekkirai 6 May 2013 11:14:06 104 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Reminds me of when I downloaded the DoA5 Plus demo on PSN. It lets me play the entire friggin arcade mode with my fav char, on whatever difficulty I like. Why the hell would I even get the full version at this point? Story aint that good anyways and playing fighting games online tends to get pretty boring relatively fast.

So in that specific case, they probably should have limited the uses like Nintendo does.
  • JiveHound 6 May 2013 11:16:39 2,536 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rayman Challenge is a deluxe demo when it boils down to it. I'd say the limit is easy to get around.

In my opinion there should be less demos and more Dead Rising 2 style mini episodes. That's probably the best thing Capcom has contributed this generation.

• LeoliansBro 6 May 2013 12:40:18 44,503 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If nobody plays a demo more than 30 times why is there a hard limit in place anyway?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• DFawkes 6 May 2013 12:53:30 23,293 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As a business decision it makes sense, but it doesn't make it feel any less stingy. Make a good game and I'll buy it after a couple of goes. I have to agree with LB on this one - why have the limit?
    I can only think of 1 demo I even played more than 30 time (first Tony Hawk on PSone) and that limit would've put me off. In all other cases I'd never reach the limit. Makes it feel pointless, for me at least.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Page

of 1369 First / Last