of 1390 First / Last

• Dirtbox 3 May 2013 23:32:46 78,846 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    blah
    Wow, unfunny and inaccurate shite.
    The update takes half an hour and I've spent a fractin of the time on Wii updates compared to the PS3, a small fraction.
    Additionally, no other console supplies a second controller.
    Pathetic.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 3 May 2013 23:46:49
    @Armoured_bear

I ordered a WiiU Premium today, so will be updating mine soon enough (assuming it arrives before the Tuesday estimate), I'm going to try an update with an external usb drive connected to see if the update time is a write speed issue with the internal flash storage(and small files).

Quite looking forward to returning to some lighter hearted gaming on a Nintendo console. What classic N64/gamecube games are available on the virtual console yet?
  • chasejamie 4 May 2013 00:21:54 817 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    None.
  • Deleted user 4 May 2013 00:27:08
    Not even the ones that were on the Wii virtual console like mario64?

I thought you could access the wii store in wii mode on wiiu, is that not the case?
  • chasejamie 4 May 2013 01:06:51 817 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah Wii mode is fine, but with no gamepad screen support etc it's not ideal. It's just a pain they are drip feeding the games like they did on the Wii. Once they get GameCube games on there with gamepad support I'll be in heaven.
  • JinTypeNoir 4 May 2013 03:24:05 4,392 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seeing the whole Kaizo Mario trend start on Nico Nico and Youtube makes me wonder why Nintendo doesn't try it out as well. Sadistically user-designed Mario U levels would have probably caused a nice buzz for the title.

JiveHound wrote:
    They should have done that with Mario U. It's criminal that they release a pad and stylus and don't let you do anything creative with it, apart from sketching on Miiverse.
    Game & Wario has a lot of creative uses, including some drawing ones.

I doubt that it will connect with a lot of people though, since when you first play it, it seems like its really short and its not until you keep playing that you realize how much content there is. I think a lot of Wii U owners are probably looking for a game they can play for a long time, so the initial impression will sour them.

But instead of Scribblenauts Unlimited, 5th Cell should have released a new Drawn to Life on the U.
  • JiveHound 4 May 2013 09:55:43 2,671 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So a Eternal Darkness spiritual successor?

I want to be excited but the guys involved in the original haven't put anything oyt decent since.

Would I be right in thinking Nintendo had a hand in the original? They're usually fairly hands on with exclusives.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Tekkirai 4 May 2013 10:20:37 104 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @JiveHound I've got a feeling that this was the case yes. As it perhaps was with Rareware, more than they themselves would like to admit I believe. That's the advantage Nintendo has as a games company that Microsoft and Sony simply don't. They really understand games and know how to get things moving in the right direction.

Bottom line though, I wouldn't invest in that Eternal Darkness spiritual sequel. Everyone has seen the lawsuit, what happened with Too Human as a game and the issues with that X-Men game, Dyack is not one to take responsibility it seems.
  • MrSemprini 4 May 2013 10:22:15 9,428 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Shut up.
    Ah, the straight man.
    That's what he'd like us to think.
  • Deleted user 4 May 2013 10:30:19
    Come E3, do you think we get revised models? With the basic dropping every where to 150 (Asda are the only ones dropping the premium) just get the impression that at all these retail meetings they have indicated this.

Pretty clear we are getting a re-launch post E3, expecting a revised model, with bigger HHD space and a better battery life. And hopefully some games. Going to be hard to resist if N, have a good E3.
  • Progguitarist 4 May 2013 10:38:20 10,509 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They aren't having a conference. Just announcing games.
  • Deleted user 4 May 2013 11:01:47
    I know, but they did announce the 3DSXL in a direct.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 May 2013 11:04:55 11,729 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    They seem to announce every thing with and now so how do you know if there will be revised hardware or not?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 4 May 2013 11:04:57 11,729 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    They seem to announce every thing with and now so how do you know if there will be revised hardware or not?

• Progguitarist 4 May 2013 11:09:59 10,509 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd be surprised this early into the lifecycle. I think there'll be just a few game announcements.
  • JiveHound 4 May 2013 11:30:12 2,671 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    A revision would piss me off as a relatively early adopter.

• Armoured_Bear 4 May 2013 11:47:44 11,729 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    I'd be surprised this early into the lifecycle. I think there'll be just a few game announcements.
    I don't expect it either but wouldn't rule it out.
    The post retailer meeting price drops which reek of stock clearance could mean something.

• Deleted user 4 May 2013 12:40:42
    My WiiU has arrived this morning and I feel they need to do a revised model that comes with newer firmware to save their reputation.

The network stack in the WiiU is no better than the one I fought with in the Nintendo DS phat and Wii. It can't setup a connection to a hidden network without needing more info than setting up an old Dos PC mouse driver on a parallel port. If they just said from the start that it is networking PS2 adapter style then it would have taken 2minutes for me, instead of an hour trying two routers, a guest wireless setup and countless settings other things because the error reporting is like it is from cbbc.

I set the update going at 12:12 and it is still only a thrid of the way through. No chance of trying the usb HDD option, as it needs the new firmware to use the drive. I do love Nintendo games, but they really are useless at console operating systems.

Oh well, maybe I get to game later today :(
  • JiveHound 4 May 2013 12:44:24 2,671 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Getting online wasn't something I had trouble with. It was as easy as the 360 for me.

I was surprised considering Nintendo's fear of the internet.

• elvenscroll 4 May 2013 13:14:08 1,444 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So is it advisable/possible to use a USB flash drive to expand memory? Seem to be getting mixed reports from a google search.

I doubt I'll be downloading any full retail titles, so I'll probably be ok with the 3GB left after the install. I was thinking of just plugging my 8 GB drive into the back and leaving it there permanently though, just to give it a bit of a buffer.

Xbox Live/PSN - Chipworm

• Progguitarist 4 May 2013 18:13:42 10,509 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Come on man, it's because it's selling like shit.
  • aeschylus 4 May 2013 18:15:48 446 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    My WiiU has arrived this morning and I feel they need to do a revised model that comes with newer firmware to save their reputation.

The network stack in the WiiU is no better than the one I fought with in the Nintendo DS phat and Wii. It can't setup a connection to a hidden network without needing more info than setting up an old Dos PC mouse driver on a parallel port. If they just said from the start that it is networking PS2 adapter style then it would have taken 2minutes for me, instead of an hour trying two routers, a guest wireless setup and countless settings other things because the error reporting is like it is from cbbc.

I set the update going at 12:12 and it is still only a thrid of the way through. No chance of trying the usb HDD option, as it needs the new firmware to use the drive. I do love Nintendo games, but they really are useless at console operating systems.

Oh well, maybe I get to game later today :(
    I am sure there will be a reason, but would it not of made sense just to "unhide" your network, connect to it then rehide it?
  • Progguitarist 4 May 2013 18:17:43 10,509 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @vizzini Prepare for crushing disappointment.
  • Sid-Nice 4 May 2013 18:22:20 15,851 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:
    I don't expect it either but wouldn't rule it out.
    The post retailer meeting price drops which reek of stock clearance could mean something.
    I did here a rumour of a Premium price cut and that the Basic model was to include Nintendo Land too.

NNID Sid-Nice

• bemaniac 4 May 2013 18:53:35 62 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @joelstinton That would piss me right off. I spent a good £420 on stuff on launch night.
  • mrpon 4 May 2013 19:16:01 29,430 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Sid-Nice 4 May 2013 19:32:24 15,851 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Continuing from my last post; the Wii U is in a strange position, whether it is through Nintendo, the wholesalers or distributors, the Wii U launch has been a complete joke. Very few game retailers gave the Wii U any shelf space while the major supermarkets concentrated mainly on online sales.

The lack of shelf space could have been down to Nintendo scaremongering about initial Wii U shortages; walking into any video game emporium it is hard to see that the Wii U is in existence. This isn’t due to lack of interest or the 95 year old grandmother who bought the Wii and Wii Fit has decided to wait for the PS4.

Normally when a new console launches; you are inundated with posters, games and console boxes on entering the store. With the Wii U there has been jack shit. 99% of the public have heard of the Wii; yet ask them about “The Wii U” and they haven’t got a clue.

The Wii U doesn’t have the initial hook (USP) the Wii had; but with the gaming industry claiming the console “Is underpowered and has insufficient exclusive software” (which is irrelevant considering the success of the Wii) almost 100 million consoles sold on the strength of 1 game. If Nintendo don’t get the general public’s attention before the arrival of the New Xbox and PS4, the Wii U could die an early death.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Progguitarist 4 May 2013 19:53:43 10,509 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's fucked. The launch line ups for the other consoles already look impressive. I just can't see Nintendo coming up with a counter punch to the GTA, battlefield, Fifa onslaught.
  • scoobysi 4 May 2013 19:57:03 987 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Getting Mario 3D and Mario Kart out before the PS4/XBOX is key. They're not going to do any significant marketing or price cut until they have the big name games to support it. I think this was probably always a given after taking the decision to rush the console out for the Xmas market. Rayman scuppered things a bit and I think Nintendo should have thrown some money at Ubisoft to at least get a download exclusive until Aug/Sep.

I still think the Wii U will be ok as the second console, if I was Microsoft I'd be a bit worried, is the XBOX Gamerscore enough to stop people jumping to the PS4.
  • Raiko101 4 May 2013 20:00:12 6,619 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Progguitarist The launch line ups for the other two consoles look majorly unexciting, in my opinion. Not that it has to do much to better the Wii U's.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Page

of 1390 First / Last