Wii U Page 605

• Page

of 1358 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 30 Apr 2013 15:02:07 43,824 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If they actually know what Retro's game is, why don't they tell us?

Everything seems so much earlier on the development track than they dare let on.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 30 April 2013 15:14:04
    Nintendo have been quite particular in the last couple of years when they released information. They seem to release info when games are substantially complete - mario kart, 3d land, donkey kong, kid icarus etc where all announced with a few to the game being released quite quickly afterwards.

It hasn't always been the case, with the odd game delay or having to get info to please fans, but they do seem quite particular with there info drip feeding.
  • kalel 30 Apr 2013 15:15:38 87,090 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THey hold back firm info just in case they want to delay the game for the next console.
  • Armoured_Bear 30 Apr 2013 15:16:27 10,599 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Nintendo have been quite particular in the last couple of years when they released information. They seem to release info when games are substantially complete - mario kart, 3d land, donkey kong, kid icarus etc where all announced with a few to the game being released quite quickly afterwards.

It hasn't always been the case, with the odd game delay or having to get info to please fans, but they do seem quite particular with there info drip feeding.
    Indeed, look at LttP2, not a sniff of it and suddenly it's announced, playable and to be released within 6 months.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Bremenacht 30 Apr 2013 15:17:02 17,843 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Even that's useless though. Pikmin 3. Gah.

This is at least as bad as what Microsoft did with the drip-drip-drip of Halo bollocks. At least Microsoft had some sense of what the real fans wanted - teasing. Nintendo seem to have no sense of what their fans want, or if they do they pay no heed.
  • Bremenacht 30 Apr 2013 15:20:22 17,843 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think Iwata just finds his release schedule spreadsheet confusing, so he doesn't look at it for weeks, or prefers to guess.

'Iwata-San! Eurogamer asks when Pikmin 3 is ready'
    'Oh I don't know. Tell them soon. Find a picture or something. I am off to play golf with Mayomoto! That bugger owes me 50000 rupees.'
  • LeoliansBro 30 Apr 2013 15:22:01 43,824 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    THey hold back firm info just in case they want to delay the game for the next console.
    :D

• LeoliansBro 30 Apr 2013 15:22:48 43,824 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Nintendo seem to have no sense of what their fans want, or if they do they pay no heed.
    Well absolutely, just look at the WiiU.

• Deleted user 30 April 2013 15:23:36
    I really hope Retro are working on a reboot of Starfox.
  • Raiko101 30 Apr 2013 17:48:51 6,219 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Did the last two Star Fox games sell that well? I got both, as the N64 game is great. The DS version was rather small and quite boring in comparison.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• CharlieStCloud 30 Apr 2013 18:01:17 5,202 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Did the last two Star Fox games sell that well? I got both, as the N64 game is great. The DS version was rather small and quite boring in comparison.
    Wasn't that outsourced to Namco or something?

It was not brilliant, put it that way.
  • JinTypeNoir 30 Apr 2013 18:02:30 4,377 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I liked the DS game, especially the direction it tried to go in. It reminded me of game design when it was easier to make ambitious ideas come alive. I think Star Fox suffers from the same thing the Mana/Seiken Densetsu series suffers from. Everyone wants some of that scrolling shooter stage design seen in the first two games. No one, it seems is looking for a revolution. Probably because we get so little of this type of game in the first place. (Similarly, it seems everyone wants a sequel to Secret of Mana, but the creator of that series wanted to try new ideas out.)
  • joeymoto108 30 Apr 2013 18:04:57 641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Arghh the Wii U OS makes me want to gouge my eyes out. It's an achievement how they made it so slow.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• Kay 30 Apr 2013 18:15:41 17,829 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:

Indeed, look at LttP2, not a sniff of it and suddenly it's announced, playable and to be released within 6 months.
    I very much doubt that will be released this year. The playable demo was just a single demo dungeon that may not even be included in the final game.
  • Raiko101 30 Apr 2013 18:38:27 6,219 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Kay Apparently it's been in development for two years, or since Miyamoto first hinted at bringing alttp into 3D. As far as i'm aware, this new game uses the very same overworld and dungeon placement. If true, i'd imagine we'll see it before christmas.

• CosmicFuzz 30 Apr 2013 19:03:14 23,891 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Because it uses the same overworld as LttP? They're hardly running on the same engine, I doubt there will be any advantage there.

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• Aretak 30 Apr 2013 19:04:36 10,351 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Interesting to see Iwata today talking about the challenges of developing HD titles, and admitting that Nintendo weren't at all ready for it, both in terms of cost and the amount of staff required to work on the games.

Who could have predicted that, eh...
  • Cappy 30 Apr 2013 20:14:06 11,906 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If the pressure of completing just Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Brothers for the Wii U launch was enough to throw their development schedules this far out, Nintendo are in serious trouble. Neither of those games are exactly technically ambitious.
  • ronuds 30 Apr 2013 20:30:17 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hate this attitude here:

It is true that it is becoming increasingly challenging to meet the expectations of consumers who are willing to pay $50-$60 for a game, and it is difficult to break even unless a huge number of units is sold all over the world, so it cannot be denied that software development is becoming more challenging.
    So don't spend as much and sell the game for less! Why is that such an impossible concept for console game makers?
  • Raiko101 30 Apr 2013 20:45:12 6,219 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz Using the same overworld clearly has it's advantages though. For sure it has been rebuilt from the ground up, but once you're still putting the pieces in the same place. You're not drawing out new plans from scratch. It also suggests that they might have intended to simple develop a 3D remake, which means the overworld could have been finished a long time ago.

• Armoured_Bear 30 Apr 2013 22:16:14 10,599 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ronuds wrote:

It is true that it is becoming increasingly challenging to meet the expectations of consumers who are willing to pay $50-$60 for a game, and it is difficult to break even unless a huge number of units is sold all over the world, so it cannot be denied that software development is becoming more challenging.
    So don't spend as much and sell the game for less! Why is that such an impossible concept for console game makers?
    I couldn't agree more, why can't we have games at 10,20,30,40 and 50USD FFS?

• MatMan562 30 Apr 2013 22:39:24 2,415 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think we will start to see more varied pricing on games soon. It's already starting with games like Sonic Racing Transformed and Sly 4 being 30 and 20 respectively at launch. I think the sooner it happens, the better. It might help to make "Triple A" games ore of an event as well.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• ronuds 30 Apr 2013 22:45:57 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Let's hope! I think it's absolutely ridiculous how stubborn most publishers are about pricing - especially when they know better than anyone what kind of quality their product is.
  • Deleted user 1 May 2013 07:11:33
    @CharlieStCloud that's why I think a reboot is in order. The switching of teams etc have screwed up the story. The last good Starfox was on the 64. Though, I do like those flying parts in Starfox Adventure. The Arwing model in that is superb even now!
  • Deleted user 1 May 2013 07:14:28
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    ronuds wrote:

I couldn't agree more, why can't we have games at 10,20,30,40 and 50USD FFS?
    It's strange isn't it. PC games have been doing it for years and it works well. I got Bioshock Infinite brand new for 24.99 instead of the usual 49.99. PC gaming does it successfully, no reason other then greed why they don't do it on other formats.
  • darrenb 1 May 2013 07:56:06 677 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Because PC games don't have to subsidise any hardware costs.. I'm sure the developer sees little more cash from a ps3 game than it does from a PC on.. The additional is licencing costs.

Cheaper console games will mean much more expensive hardware.. Somewhere along the line we all pay..
  • DFawkes 1 May 2013 09:35:21 22,814 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does anyone know the release date of Deus Ex? I've pre-ordered it at Shopto.net but I can't find any indiciation online of when it's coming out. The best I can find is in the EG Release Dates where it's down for the 10th, but I think that's a placeholder date.

I do realise I could pick it up for a fiver on PC, but I'm curious to see how the changes are. Though now that I think about it I'll have to come back and buy the PC one anyway to compare them, but I still want to do the Wii U one first. 25 doesn't seem totally unreasonable either given they've made an effort to make it a slightly better game. Still probably not low enough to re-buy it if you own it on another console, but it's alright for us new players (yes, both of us).

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Raiko101 1 May 2013 09:43:01 6,219 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm still picking it up at some point. Would like to get Monster Hunter out of the way first and i've still got Arkham Asylum sitting on the shelf too. 25 quid for it is a great price though.

• midi82 1 May 2013 09:53:02 671 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For 25 quid I might try that out. 35% through lego City and lots of monster hunter to go though so I'm not sure if I can find the time. I guess it depends when some other stuff is released.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 May 2013 12:15:08 10,599 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    Interesting to see Iwata today talking about the challenges of developing HD titles, and admitting that Nintendo weren't at all ready for it, both in terms of cost and the amount of staff required to work on the games.

Who could have predicted that, eh...
    I have to say, those comments make Iwata sound like a fucking incompetent.

• Page

of 1358 First / Last