Wii U Page 604

• Page

of 1370 First / Last

• Raiko101 29 Apr 2013 18:50:25 6,426 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @LeoliansBro That was actuallt to say that we're all in agreement about the lack of software. Clearly my brain was hanging out of my arse as I typed that.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Armoured_Bear 29 Apr 2013 18:54:06 11,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wow, did LeoliansBro post for the 129th time that there aren't enough new games for the WiiU?
    So glad I missed that :-(

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Raiko101 29 Apr 2013 18:55:15 6,426 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    JiveHound wrote:
    The 3ds is sooo damn good though, using that as evidence there will surely be some stonking games on their way.
    You can also use that as evidence of them knowing which side their bread is buttered. Even the 3DS had firm dates and trickled releases by now.
    Actually, it had Zelda about 2 months before and we'd have just seen the first footage for Luigi's Mansion 2, Paper Mario and Animal Crossing. The only thing we knew was that two Mario games would release by christmas and That Resident Evil Revelations would be out in the new year.

• Aretak 29 Apr 2013 19:33:50 10,366 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Comparing the 3DS to the Wii U in any sense is pointless. It's unrealistic to expect a HD console to enjoy the same volume of output as a handheld, because the cost of development is so much higher, both in terms of money and time. Take a company like Atlus for example, who've been churning out scores of high quality titles for the DS and 3DS in recent years, yet managed precisely one PS3/360 title during the entire generation, which was Catherine.
  • Progguitarist 29 Apr 2013 19:34:24 10,481 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Losing Rayman as an exclusive was bad. I think it's going to review very well.

Yeah, yeah...It's Rayman. The challenges app is so fun though.
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Apr 2013 19:40:38 11,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    Comparing the 3DS to the Wii U in any sense is pointless. It's unrealistic to expect a HD console to enjoy the same volume of output as a handheld, because the cost of development is so much higher, both in terms of money and time. Take a company like Atlus for example, who've been churning out scores of high quality titles for the DS and 3DS in recent years, yet managed precisely one PS3/360 title during the entire generation, which was Catherine.
    I'm sure that the Japanese market for the type of game that Atlus make has nothing at all to do with that, it's purely down to development costs.

• Aretak 29 Apr 2013 20:17:11 10,366 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Glad you agree, sweetie.
  • jonsaan 29 Apr 2013 20:20:39 25,360 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kind of ironic that I've never played Catherine because they didn't make a handheld version. Looks right up my street too.

Edited by jonsaan at 20:20:50 29-04-2013

FCUTA!

• JinTypeNoir 29 Apr 2013 20:42:36 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That is kind of strange when you think about it, perfect for a 3DS or Vita version really.

But Mr. Bear really does have a point, the reason the Wii U isn't getting as many games as the 3DS in Japan has less to do with the 3DS development costs and more to do with the entire market shifting toward handhelds. Most Japanese developers publish more handheld games than they do console games, with outfits like From Software being the exception.

If you look at sales up to this point in the year, 70% of software sales are on handhelds. If you get rid of Nintendo, the percentage differs only slightly and the ratio stays the same. In terms of releases, Revengeance, Dragon's Dogma, Dynasty Warriors and the new Devil May Cry are the only ones that don't have any ties to handheld gaming. Everything else is or has either a port of a handheld game to a console or has a handheld version which sold comparatively or better.

The point is that even on HD consoles, its rather unlikely that Japanese publishers will pour money into every release -- a lot of games are still extremely low budget, including famed From. In that atmosphere, the amount of 3rd party support Nintendo gets shrinks rather alarmingly.
  • addyb 29 Apr 2013 21:14:22 1,138 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd like another Trauma Center and definitely F-Zero although I do prefer the DS versions of TC. Its a pity Nintendo don't have Rare developing for them anymore. And yes I mean the Rare of old.

Reboots of classic games like rc pro am or snake rattle n roll (ok this maybe pushing the classic status :) ) would make perfect eshop fodder.

Edited by addyb at 21:15:16 29-04-2013
  • JinTypeNoir 29 Apr 2013 22:07:25 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rare already showed signs of going downhill with the Gamecube and Star Fox Adventures before they were sold. Even if they weren't sold Microsoft, I doubt they would have produced good games. I think unless they get in a wave of new talent and are reborn, the Rare that flourished in Stamper Bros. days is long gone.

Though I'm definitely with you on rebooting their NES/Famicom classic properties. I could definitely go with more Trauma Center and F-Zero as well. Though I don't want them on the Wii U; put 'em up on the 3DS. In fact, just cancel the Wii U and move EVERYTHING to the 3DS. Mwa ha ha ha!
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Apr 2013 22:28:34 11,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    addyb wrote:
    I'd like another Trauma Center and definitely F-Zero although I do prefer the DS versions of TC. Its a pity Nintendo don't have Rare developing for them anymore. And yes I mean the Rare of old.

Reboots of classic games like rc pro am or snake rattle n roll (ok this maybe pushing the classic status :) ) would make perfect eshop fodder.
    God I loved R.C Pro Am!

• Deleted user 30 April 2013 09:52:44
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Rare already showed signs of going downhill with the Gamecube and Star Fox Adventures before they were sold. Even if they weren't sold Microsoft, I doubt they would have produced good games. I think unless they get in a wave of new talent and are reborn, the Rare that flourished in Stamper Bros. days is long gone.
    People seem to forget that back when rare were popular, they never sold anywhere near the numbers going around the industry nowadays. The demand for their games is still there, the market is just a lot bigger and they take a smaller slice. Also, it was Nintendo who forced Rare to put Starfox into the Dinosaur Planet game and move it to the Gamecube. Taking Starfox out of the mix, the game was decent for a game originally made for the N64.

It would be nice if Nintendo pulled their finger out and got some western teams, but they seem hell bent on sticking to Japanese only. One of the many faults of Nintendo at the moment.

Edited by Rec at 09:54:33 30-04-2013
  • kalel 30 Apr 2013 10:03:18 88,436 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Perfect Dark Zero would also probably have been a good game if it hadn't been for the MS buyout and redoing it for the 360. It was very dated and broken by the time it finally came out.
  • JiveHound 30 Apr 2013 10:24:13 2,542 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Rec

Retro and Next Level are both western devs I believe. Both are also excellent going by past form.

Edited by JiveHound at 10:24:59 30-04-2013

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Armoured_Bear 30 Apr 2013 10:28:20 11,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    @Rec

Retro and Next Level are both western devs I believe. Both are also excellent going by past form.
    Yep although Next Level Games aren't owned by Nintendo, I wonder if they're tempted after the cracking job they did of LM2.

• JiveHound 30 Apr 2013 10:36:05 2,542 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Luigi's Mansion 2 really is stunning, thoroughly enjoying that at the moment.

I really can't wait to see what Retro are up to though. I saw a quote from them saying they're working on something everyone wants to see them doing (though I can't remember where) so maybe Nintendo have handed them back the Metroid IP to work on.

All will be forgiven if that comes out in a timely fashion. Before the rapture at least.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Armoured_Bear 30 Apr 2013 11:13:00 11,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Luigi's Mansion 2 really is stunning, thoroughly enjoying that at the moment.

I really can't wait to see what Retro are up to though. I saw a quote from them saying they're working on something everyone wants to see them doing (though I can't remember where) so maybe Nintendo have handed them back the Metroid IP to work on.

All will be forgiven if that comes out in a timely fashion. Before the rapture at least.
    Indeed, a stunning looking Metroid Prime 4 with no talking shite will be the bomb, there's nothing in gaming I would look forward to more.

• JinTypeNoir 30 Apr 2013 11:16:12 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rec wrote:
    People seem to forget that back when rare were popular, they never sold anywhere near the numbers going around the industry nowadays.
    Not all of them, no. But Donkey Kong Country sold 7.2 million copies, the sequels managed anywhere from 3 to 5 million each, Goldeneye was an 8 million seller, Banjo Kazooie went over 3 million and so on. These are excellent numbers even today. That bonkers stupid 3rd publishers don't consider them good numbers because they are perpetuating a Hollywood model of pumping as much money into games as possible is only one angle of a complex geometric shape.

Any healthy publisher considers a multitude of targets as possible successes. Recently, Dark Souls 2.3 million sales was seen as a wild success and Deadly Premonition never got anywhere near the amount of recognition of other games, but proved to be quite successful for the publisher. Yeah, Rare had a lot of smaller hits like Blast Corps, Conker and Jet Force Gemini, but they were also quite a hitmaker, aside from that.

Nintendo didn't force Rare to put in Star Fox characters, like some sort of slave lord dictating what will happen to the slaves. It was said to be amicable on both sides. And it is one story I believe since interviews that addressed the subject generally came out after Rare was sold and they would have no interest in lying to protect an image.

Really, after Banjo Kazooie and Diddy Kong Racing, I think Rare got too interested in pushing technical boundaries for their own good. Personally, while I realize that they are well regarded, Jet Force Gemini (with two main characters who have to be close the ugliest ever designed), Donkey Kong 64, Conker and Star Fox Adventures bored me to tears. Perfect Dark was really the only one that felt like classic Rare ingenuity, and even that was not quite safe from the guillotine of their ambitions.

I always thought their best game on the N64 was Blast Corps. That game was sooooo good. It came right at the time when games designed with arcade sensibilities were dying out, original ideas had long since become very uncommon and suck-you-in 3D worlds were all the rage, and somehow combined arcade sensibilities with immaculate visuals for the time and was innovative and original to a degree that has seldom been seen since. The soundtrack was amazing as well. The game doesn't get anywhere near the praise it should have. Oh God, Rare, you used to be SO GOOD! :(
  • Deleted user 30 April 2013 12:40:39
    I think Nuts & bolts should of been the new Blast Corps really. Made more sense and would of stopped people bitching about it not being a real Banjo Kazooie game. Take Banjo Kazooie out of there and I think the idea behind Nuts & bolts was fun.

I still think Rare can make good fun games even if they make a few clunkers too (Kameo was pretty interesting), But not everything will be a hit. But that's the nature of the beast we have in the industry now. Some studios go out of business if they even fail on just one game. Since Rare was bought by MS, I kinda think Rare are screwed now. Unless they make the financial hits MS want, I can't see them being given the chance anymore.

I think RARE would do well making smaller DL games instead. Less of a risk, and it would let Rare still remain creative with new Ip's.

Edited by Rec at 12:44:17 30-04-2013
  • Bremenacht 30 Apr 2013 13:41:29 18,721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    I always thought their best game on the N64 was Blast Corps. That game was sooooo good. It came right at the time when games designed with arcade sensibilities were dying out, original ideas had long since become very uncommon and suck-you-in 3D worlds were all the rage, and somehow combined arcade sensibilities with immaculate visuals for the time and was innovative and original to a degree that has seldom been seen since. The soundtrack was amazing as well. The game doesn't get anywhere near the praise it should have. Oh God, Rare, you used to be SO GOOD! :(
    Blast Corps. A massive dollop of originality. It would make an excellent download on PSN or XBLA. Maybe a bit of a HD makeover to dress it up.

I just think Rare got too big and unfocussed.
  • JinTypeNoir 30 Apr 2013 13:45:43 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Come to think of it, who has the right to Blast Corps? Nintendo, Microsoft, some nebulous third party (the Stamper Bros.)?
  • kalel 30 Apr 2013 13:48:46 88,436 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rec wrote:
    I think RARE would do well making smaller DL games instead. Less of a risk, and it would let Rare still remain creative with new Ip's.
    Jetpac Refuelled was pretty good. Not exactly new IP but certainly showed they can still make a very pure and gun gaming experience, and perhaps they're at their best when they reigned in a bit.
  • Armoured_Bear 30 Apr 2013 13:54:14 11,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Come to think of it, who has the right to Blast Corps? Nintendo, Microsoft, some nebulous third party (the Stamper Bros.)?
    I think RARE own it, quite odd they still haven't done anything with it.

• Armoured_Bear 30 Apr 2013 13:56:29 11,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    WiiU cracked already

Nintendo are pretty hopeless...

• DFawkes 30 Apr 2013 14:00:08 23,344 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd be tempted to add the word allegedly until they produce the good, but if they haven't done it they have to be close.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Raiko101 30 Apr 2013 14:04:32 6,426 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wasn't the 3DS apparently hacked at the beginning of last year. What happened with that?

• Armoured_Bear 30 Apr 2013 14:52:49 11,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Retro game announcement soon-ish it seems

• Bremenacht 30 Apr 2013 14:54:48 18,721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    An announcement of an introduction? I wish there was real news about something rather than this pisspoor news of news about news.
  • Armoured_Bear 30 Apr 2013 15:00:21 11,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    An announcement of an introduction? I wish there was real news about something rather than this pisspoor news of news about news.
    I know....

• Page

of 1370 First / Last